Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the West

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the West Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the West - 12/8/2010 9:44:00 PM   
Joel Billings

War in the West (43-45) and War in North Africa are the next two games we will be working on. Eventually plan to link them all (that is the plan anyway).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to RJL5188)
Post #: 31
RE: War in the West - 12/8/2010 10:17:55 PM   
Neal_MLC

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 32
RE: War in the West - 12/9/2010 12:13:37 AM   
rjopel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

War in the West (43-45) and War in North Africa are the next two games we will be working on. Eventually plan to link them all (that is the plan anyway).

Just about chocked on my supper when I read that.

Post #: 33
RE: War in the West - 12/9/2010 12:25:04 AM   
FM WarB

I;ll be Ike, if there is a No Monty option

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 34
RE: War in the West - 12/9/2010 12:29:54 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

When are you starting work on these or have you already?

Post #: 35
RE: War in the West - 12/9/2010 2:59:49 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: FM WarB

I;ll be Ike, if there is a No Monty option

I will not buy if there's a "full monty" option.

(in reply to FM WarB)
Post #: 36
RE: War in the West - 12/9/2010 3:57:25 PM   
itsjustme

I'll ask it.  Will there be a user option to adjust production in the linked game?  Perhaps its undecided but is it at least under consideration.  Thanks much.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 37
RE: War in the West - 12/9/2010 5:16:27 PM   
diablo1

quote:

Where is Terminus's "For Gods sake" now?

Post #: 38
RE: War in the West - 12/10/2010 10:48:03 PM   
RJL5188

i think a war in the west and war in north africa would be awesome...however...war in the west should start in 1940 with the invasions of norway and denmark...low countries...france etc etc...

war in africa should start in 1940 with the italian invasion...

and if Mr. Grigsby can combine WITE WITW and WIA into one HUGE game...it would be the LARGEST War in Europe game to date...

"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 39
RE: War in the West - 12/10/2010 11:12:51 PM   
Pford

Is the 10 miles/hex scale right for the Western Front? One example (from memory): the Battle of the Bulge. The Germans fielded 30 divisions or so on a 50-60 mile front. That represents just six hexes, so pretty cramped with the three unit stacking rule. And the battle itself would be meaningless without including the road net which WITE omits, not unreasonably, for the Russian theatre but in the West was more developed.

(in reply to RJL5188)
Post #: 40
RE: War in the West - 12/10/2010 11:14:37 PM   
V22 Osprey

War in the West should come with a main campaign and a side campaign. The 1940 Blitzkrieg would be cover in a smaller 'side' campaign while the main campaign would cover '43-'45. I don't know if I like the idea of North Africa being a separate game. If that is the case I'm not going to be paying monster game price for it.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to RJL5188)
Post #: 41
RE: War in the West - 12/10/2010 11:28:06 PM   
gravyhair

FANTASTIC! Will the war in North Africa include the Ethiopian Theater? Will it include Tunisia and/or the entirety of the Torch landings, etc? Will it include options like an attempted air/amphib asault on Malta? Will it allow for ahistorical options such as a breakthrough to the Nile Delta and/or fighting up into Palestine and Lebanon/Syria? How about a Wafdist uprising and Iraqis crossing into Egypt? (Shooting for the moon here.)

P.S. How will the realities of the naval game apply to North Africa. OCS DAK2 does a pretty good job if you're looking for inspiration ...

Wise Men Still Seek Him

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 42
RE: War in the West - 12/11/2010 12:39:42 AM   
Wikingus

Oh man awesome news. Those theatres will surely also include a more detailed air model and naval units. Throw in some production options, and...

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 43
RE: War in the West - 1/7/2011 2:40:46 AM   
JSBoomer

I'm looking forward to this! Timeframe?

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 44
RE: War in the West - 1/7/2011 9:11:42 AM   
vinnie71

But if its 43 to 45, chances are that North Africa is not included - even if the Mediterranean is included at all...

The Italian campaign though is one where many what ifs are possible as well, and its advances were closely intertwined with the campaign in France. Therefore it would be natural to have them both together. Also if the scale remains the same as in WITE, it would be better to have Italy, possibly part of ex Yugoslavia and Austria and Western Germany included.

My real dream is a full East - West WWII campaign set on the basis of this game. Obviously I'll have to buy a new top notch computer for the beast...

(in reply to RJL5188)
Post #: 45
RE: War in the West - 1/7/2011 11:36:32 AM   
histgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjl518

I would love to see a w War in the West...however i actually think a War in North Africa is badly needed at this time. I look all over and i hardly see any games depicting Rommel's Afrika Korps...Wavell's Operation Compass...which today is the 70th anniversary of the offensive...the Italian Invasion...

I think a War in North Africa would be awesome...How bout it Gary Grigsby?

Why not an expansion which links a War in the East, War in the Med, and War in the West into one grand game starting in 1940?

(in reply to RJL5188)
Post #: 46
RE: War in the West - 1/7/2011 1:25:09 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Why not an expansion which links a War in the East, War in the Med, and War in the West into one grand game starting in 1940?

Your answer is a few posts above:

quote:

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 47
RE: War in the West - 1/7/2011 4:01:35 PM   
FM WarB

I don't see how the North African campaign would be alot of fun at this scale. It is 600 miles west from El Alamein to El Agheila as the crow flies, the approximate distance west from Moscow to Brest-Lotovsk. Tunis is 500 miles west and 500 miles north of El Agheila and Casablanca is another 1000 miles west of Tunis. The "playing surface" from El Alamein to El Agheila is narrow, as you can only go so far south into the desert before you die. The battle of El Alamein would be three to four hexes north to south and Tobruk no more than double that.

The forces, before Torch max out at 10-13 divisions in 3-5 corps for each side, with lots of attachments of all arms at corps and army level.

Afrika was a sideshow; send Rommel to Russia!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 48
RE: War in the West - 1/8/2011 7:15:56 AM   
vinnie71

Yes, but if its combined with the rest of the Mediterranean, its a totally different picture. Italy, the Balkans are pretty large, and we don't know how far east will the map spread.

(in reply to FM WarB)
Post #: 49
RE: War in the West - 1/8/2011 10:59:45 AM   
squatter

I would imagine the War in Africa game would/should be more like WITP than WITE. The campaign was really the battle for the Mediterranean, and the game should be so too - Crete/Malta/Gibralta/etc it should also include the Italian campaign, not the War in the West game. That is how I imagine they will do it.

Combining all four games is all well and good, but seriously, will anyone here live long enough to complete a grand campaign of WITP/WITE/WITW/WINA? It would probably take longer than the real thing. And if the solution is to have seperate players controlling each front, well, that kind of defeats the object of a grand strategy game where you get to control the entire war effort.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 50
RE: War in the West - 1/8/2011 2:31:23 PM   
mavraamides

I think it could be pulled off as follows:

Instead of combining all 3 of them into one mega game (which would have serious scaling issues) it could be 3 different games each with their own scale:

WITE 10 mile hex / division - battalion units
WITW 5 mile hex / battalion - company units
WIA 3 mile hex / battalion - company units

Now, if you own all 3, you could play a linked campaign as follow:
Each grand grand campaign would involve playing 1 turn in each game. You would get a new option that allows you to transfer unmoved / in supply / in CC units to another front where they would show up as reinforcements when you play that front. Units would be re-scaled as necessary so a division transfered from the East would show up as 3 battalion in the West, for ex.

At the end, your final score would be the sum of all 3 campaign scores.

You would of course need a 4th application to manage all of this and probably a major patch to WITE. This grand grand campaign manager may possibly also include a production model.

So maybe a game turn goes like this:

1) Start your grand grand campaign and it brings you up in WITE.
2) When you end your turn, it automatically fires up WITW.
3) When you end your turn, it fires up WIA.
4) When you end your turn, it brings up the campaign manager where you could deal with things like production and possibly look at global OOB's, VP situ or a complete strategic map to get an overall picture.

I think it would work.

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 51
RE: War in the West - 1/8/2011 3:32:08 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

Joel

Thats great news! After playing and loving WitE, I cant wait to see the other theaters!

I just have one concern: scale.

The 10 mile, 1 week turn and divison/corp scale works on the Ostfront, but it would not make for an interesting West Front game.

I mean look at Normandy. I remember there was a West Front scenario for TOAW III that covered Italy and France, using a large scale (around 10 miles) and division units. It was a total and complete bore. I mean the Normandy operation had a whopping 8 or so units to start with. On the other hand, there was another scenario that was on the battlion level with one day turns and that was fun! Half the fun of WitE is the vast scale and immense number of units. The Battle of the Bulge would have fewer units involved than AGC. Not very fun.

I know the desire is to link the three, but I just dont think that a War in the West game would work very well on a 10 mile, 1 week, Division scale. You would have so few units that it would be a very short, uninteresting game compared to WitE.

Just my 2 bits.

Chad

Post #: 52
RE: War in the West - 1/8/2011 5:39:42 PM   
vinnie71

Actually for me scale and time compression are not an issue, if the western and mediterranean theatres were linked. The whole problem for the allies was essentially that both fronts were congested for a long time and there wasn't that much freedom of manoever.

What I would really like to see is an overarching campaign with production (not R&D) for on map powers. Also for the Axis and Allies, they shouldn't be tied down to historical deployments, though to keep it historical, forces could be raised in the historical waves.

Maybe a limited diplomatic interface could be introduced, at least towards neutral countries like Sweden,Switzerland, Spain and Turkey which were 'approached' to provide some resources by the Axis...

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 53
RE: War in the West - 1/8/2011 5:49:56 PM   
Zort

I like the way production is set up now. As I see it cities are indicated with what factories they have and when captured if you can get them on line faster you can build more. As for being able to change what is built, that is a game in it self and all powers would need that option. I see if you can get more faster then you are ahead of the game. Of course doing player production I can see the complaints when you can't get those new tanks produced for another year while the factory is being retooled. Italy is a good example, they never had the production capability for plane engines and the producers wouldn't change their production no matter what Mussolini wanted. So there is a lot of production politics that have to be considered (which most players don't want to deal with IMO).

But what is interesting is we are talking about the next game and very few have finished a campaign against another human of WitE yet. What I would like to see is a Poland scenario since the map is there already. Then a Yugo scenario both early and late war.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 54
RE: War in the West - 1/8/2011 6:42:54 PM   
parusski

quote:

Oh Lord! Is it just me or are others seeing bright lights and experiencing vertigo?

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 55
RE: War in the West - 10/11/2011 6:22:24 AM   
Dili

The Mediterranean is aero naval warfare. The War in Pacific engine with some tweaks would be the only chance to pull that off, not this engine.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 56
RE: War in the West - 10/11/2011 4:46:00 PM   
Phenix

Wait a minute, what happened to 39-41 , Poland, France, Yugo, Greece etc.etc. surely it would be more logical to start with that?

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 57
RE: War in the West - 10/11/2011 6:16:48 PM   
Mehring

There's a big gap 41-43 if you leave out the East and even before 1941 it's a bit sporadic historically in the west. That's why we need an integrated War in Europe.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Phenix)
Post #: 58
RE: War in the West - 10/11/2011 7:05:33 PM   
gradenko2k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phenix
Wait a minute, what happened to 39-41 , Poland, France, Yugo, Greece etc.etc. surely it would be more logical to start with that?

I think a Fall Gelb / Battle of France scenario would still be included in WitW, but just as a short scenario rather than a 'grand campaign' type of deal.

(in reply to Phenix)
Post #: 59
RE: War in the West - 10/11/2011 9:47:30 PM   
Dili

You can get a very good exclusive Mediterranean Game starting in 10 June 1940, the Italian declaration of War against France and England.

The War Starts in Africa - maybe w/ option to include East Africa -
In October Italians attack Greece.
In December 40 first Germans air units arrive in Med.
In Feb/Mar 41 first German Ground Units arrive in Africa.
April 41 attack against Greece and Yugoslavia by Italy, Germany, Hungary; Bulgarian forces later also occupy parts of Greece and Yugoslavia.
June 41 British and Free French Attack against French Vichy Levant(Syria/Lebanon)
Summer 42 arrive first American Air Units in Mediterranean.

With over 3500 axis ships plus and between 1000 to 2600 Luftwaffe and more than 1500 Italian planes the Med is a very dense theater at which should be added the Allies superior in quantity around 1942.

The number of countries(Italy,France,England,USA, Germans, Commonwealth, Greeks, ex.Yugoslav's at least) and the fact that it will be a novelty in game terms will have a good potential market.
Also letting the option for modders to add the possibility of Turkey and a Gibraltar - Operation Felix/Spain enter the War there is a lot of potential market for an exclusive Mediterranean game.

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the West Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI