Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) - 12/9/2010 11:58:10 PM   
Abalieno

I was looking at a FitE AAR here on this forum and seeing these beautiful maps:
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7161/fite.jpg

Now the problem is that if I run the game and take my own snapshot here is what I see:
http://www.cesspit.net/misc/fite.jpg

...Not the same thing and very ugly. I also have tried installing all versions and patches but couldn't have a different result.

It seems a bug specifically of the 3.4 beta that labels can't be hidden. They are hidden in the game, but if I take the snapshot the labels are all there (this wasn't the case with previous versions).

Instead there's a common problem about the units being all smudged in the highest zoom mode. And so I wonder how they could take that picture in that AAR that shows blue and red dots clearly defined.

Or even this AAR that shows an even larger zoom and still dots clearly separated:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2604632
Post #: 1
RE: Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) - 12/10/2010 12:19:57 AM   
Telumar

Okay.

Place Names:
Place names were not visible in a (internal) screenshot under 3.2 when turned invisible in the game. This has changed in 3.4, they are visible in the screenshot no matter the in-game settings. Don't know wether this is intended or not.
The screenshot you obviously got from the German TOAW forum has been made under 3.2.
EDIT: In 3.2 screenshots were .bmp files, which are "uncompressed" and thus of better quality.

Smudge...
This depends on the zoom level. In the all-out zoom level the unit dots become unclear. One zoom level back and they'll be clear as in the screenshot from Pio vs. Rums. It also looks like Pio resized the screenshot to a more managable size; besides that he flipped it. See my attached screenshot from D21 under 3.4.201 and .png graphics on. I cut off irrelevant parts of the front and resized the picture to 25%.
EDIT: Also it adds to clearness to turn the Hex Grid off in the higher zoom levels.

The last screenshot (from Larry's AAR) was a shot from the micromap (bottom right panel in game). You can get this by turning the movies option on in the game option. Then after each player's turn such a screenshot will automatically be created and saved in the Saves folder. (I wouldn't recommend turning Auto Save Large Movies on in games of the size of FitE)

D21 screenshot:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telumar -- 12/10/2010 12:35:24 AM >

(in reply to Abalieno)
Post #: 2
RE: Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) - 12/10/2010 12:25:50 AM   
Telumar

Note that the quality of your screenshots depends on the JPG quality setting (in fact: compression rate) in the game options. 90% is a good compromise between quality and file size. (Nevertheless i have set it to 100 as i usually edit my screenshots with a graphics programm)

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 3
RE: Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) - 12/10/2010 12:49:33 AM   
Abalieno

Yeah, I noticed that a closer zoom the units where better defined, but I thought that picture I posted had an even better definition and so something was going on. I guess the only thing is to ask if we can have Labels disabled when disabled in the game before 3.4 is released officially. There's still time?

Also forgot to ask: is there a way to disable mouse scrolling on the map? It's very annoying having the map moving when I only want to press a button. I'd prefer to disable the mouse scrolling and just use arrows keys...

Another thing: no option to save again in .bmp for better quality?

< Message edited by HRose -- 12/10/2010 12:51:21 AM >

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 4
RE: Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) - 12/10/2010 9:38:23 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: HRose

Yeah, I noticed that a closer zoom the units where better defined, but I thought that picture I posted had an even better definition and so something was going on. I guess the only thing is to ask if we can have Labels disabled when disabled in the game before 3.4 is released officially. There's still time?

This i can't tell you. But yes, it would be nice.

quote:

Also forgot to ask: is there a way to disable mouse scrolling on the map? It's very annoying having the map moving when I only want to press a button. I'd prefer to disable the mouse scrolling and just use arrows keys...

In the opart3.ini you have the option to turn it off. Set allowMouseWheelZoom to N

quote:

Another thing: no option to save again in .bmp for better quality?

No. Besides it isn't really necessary. Bmp files are huge. And with 100% JPG quality you won't see a difference. Even with 90 - 95% quality setting you won't see much of a difference. And as all screenshots posted are jpg files anyway (forum attachment file size/file type limitation, or in the case of external hosters like i.e. imageshack a 300 kb JPG loads much faster (in your browser when reading an AAR i.e.) than a 2.2 MB bmp) why to stick with .bmp?

(in reply to Abalieno)
Post #: 5
RE: Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) - 12/14/2010 2:08:31 AM   
ralphtricky

Sorry, 3.4 has been frozen for a while. I'll look at what's going on with the labels for 3.5.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Map snapshot smudged (and problem with 3.4 beta) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI