Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 5:09:03 AM   
Zovs

Is there any interest in a small mini-tutorial/strategy/diary of playing out a turn or so of a small scenario?

I took about 55 screen shots and before I commuted to this I just wanted to see if there was any interest.

Using Road to Leningrad, need to know what would be of most interest to people, getting around in the interface, managing your army, corps an divisions, planning out an offensive.

If there is no interest please also let me know and I'll spend my time doing other things.

Thanks.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Post #: 1
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 5:11:31 AM   
Bradd

yes, the would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 5:25:17 AM   
lparkh

For me the biggest learning gap is doing the less visible things than moving and attacking with ground units. For instance:
-- when and how to manually use air power
-- how to use admin points sensibly
-- how to track and plan for supply running down
-- managing units to optimize getting supply and experience.

There is such a big gap between tutorials and a 300 page guide. Road to Leningrad would be good with small unit count but with extended duration, admin points etc.

The other overall thing I would say is need is a big picture guide. The manual gives slightly overwhelming detail. I want the 'dummies guide' to WITE :). That is, high level abstracts of the core of what say take 10 pages in the manual. Your guide to playing a scenario might do that in a hands on way.

Thanks for your offer!

(in reply to Bradd)
Post #: 3
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 5:36:39 AM   
Negozio

As a beginner, that would be so helpful. Thanks!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 4
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 10:28:26 AM   
Icekill

Really interested! Please do it as detailed as possible, step by step and not guessing that your readers know anything before you taught it, that way it will become the best tutorial possible for new players.

(in reply to Negozio)
Post #: 5
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 10:44:28 AM   
Zovs

Okay, looks like we have four interested people. Let me take a first stab at it. I have pretty good idea on how I want to proceed, but as I post things go ahead and interact with me so I know which direction to go and what needs more or less attention to.

Now the next question is should I post it in the AAR section or rather the War Room area? Which seems most logical?

I am thinking possibly the War Room might be best, less crowed right now and it's not really an AAR, so if no objections I'll see you over there in a bit.

Cheers

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Icekill)
Post #: 6
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 10:49:31 AM   
Krupinski

I cant wait to read your first tutorial!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 7
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 10:56:45 AM   
jhdeerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: lparkh

For me the biggest learning gap is doing the less visible things than moving and attacking with ground units. For instance:

There is such a big gap between tutorials and a 300 page guide. Road to Leningrad would be good with small unit count but with extended duration, admin points etc.

The other overall thing I would say is need is a big picture guide. The manual gives slightly overwhelming detail. I want the 'dummies guide' to WITE :). That is, high level abstracts of the core of what say take 10 pages in the manual. Your guide to playing a scenario might do that in a hands on way.

Thanks for your offer!

Ditto on your 4 items and for sure more out there too. Your offer is great dlazov.

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 8
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 10:57:16 AM   
Mannock

quote:

ORIGINAL: dlazov66

Okay, looks like we have four interested people. Let me take a first stab at it. I have pretty good idea on how I want to proceed, but as I post things go ahead and interact with me so I know which direction to go and what needs more or less attention to.

Now the next question is should I post it in the AAR section or rather the War Room area? Which seems most logical?

I am thinking possibly the War Room might be best, less crowed right now and it's not really an AAR, so if no objections I'll see you over there in a bit.

Cheers

Please focus some attention to supply and rail repair as I have some difficulties with that.

On turn 5, my mobile units are all under 50% fuel, which is a big problem for me.

Always from below, seldom on the same level and never from above. - Mannock revised.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 9
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 11:40:36 AM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: dlazov66
Is there any interest in a small mini-tutorial/strategy/diary of playing out a turn or so of a small scenario?

I am doing something similar but in Italian, so Italian players (or google translate users) could be interested to read this discussion on NWI (to see the screen shots you need to be registered).

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 10
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 12:28:04 PM   
Rhizy

Yes please. Just purchased and downloaded the game today. Played the tutorial, read close to half-way point of the manual. All feels very daunting and somewhat overwhelming, so this is a fantastic idea to help with finding our feet and having a sense of direction. I'll definitely closely follow such a tutorial, very much appreciated.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 11
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 12:40:10 PM   
henri51

Good idea,and why don't you add a picture of a unit and explain with arrows every item on the unit? And explain things like movement points and why soetimes units can't move into enemy zones of control although they have plenty of points.

Henri

(in reply to Rhizy)
Post #: 12
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 2:59:34 PM   
AlanBernardo

I support such an endeavor. If you could it would be nice if you could integrate the screens within the explanations themselves.

Alan

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 13
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 3:24:25 PM   
Zovs

Okay fellows, I am well on my way, I have 7 pages of text (with the 55 images) in MS Word, some of it is hopefully humorous, insightful, helpful and I hope not too boring for all.

It looks from the responses that some would like very basic stuff up to medium and advanced stuff, so hopefully I can add these all in, I just don't know how far I can get today so this begs the question: Do you want to wait till all things are covered? OR would you be okay with it in packets of info?

I am thinking packets may be good, please bear in mind I am off today and want to dedicate as much time to this and then I'll be back at work all week and then on vacation from the 17th till next year where I can spend even more time with it and you. And yes there is a lot of images...

Regarding things like:

quote:

I will be covering these and others, just not sure if its today or not.

So please let me know if you want it in small chucks now or if you can wait (Joel knows I have a bad habit of trying to compile things to completion before letting it go).

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to AlanBernardo)
Post #: 14
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 5:51:28 PM   
Duality

I think smaller chunks would be great.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 15
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 5:56:55 PM   
hgilmer3

Yes, this would be an awesome endeavor.

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to Duality)
Post #: 16
RE: Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? - 12/12/2010 6:08:06 PM   
Zovs

Okay, I'll make  a first posting as soon as I can, I am up to page 10 and this does take some time to do. Plus my wife and kids want to eat for some reason and I have to go out in this blowing snow storm to get it...lol.

Again, look for it in the War Room, it won't be hard to miss.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tutorial/Operational/Strategy interest? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI