Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 6:18:40 PM   
fsp

It is now 28 August and I am 10 hexes away from Moscow. This is very tempting, and it made me rethink my previous goals (Leningrad and Kharkov in 1941, Moscow in 1942). Now I want all in 1941 :-)

But there are lots of questions I could not quite answer by reading the manual. I am sure it is in there, but I read the whole thing yesterday in 3 hours and not everything stuck with me.

So please, could someone kindly answer:

1) I have tons of Admin points left, don't really know what to do with them. Occasionally I change corps alignment for divisons. Any advice here?

2) Does ist seem sensible to push for Moscow from this position

3) How do I best attack a fortified city like Leningrad? In an AAR someone said he "attached all guns to AGN". I want to do this but don't know how to. I can see attached units, and I can attach others from the pool (there are none available right now), but I cannot unattach them. So I have lots of heavy guns where I don't want and need them. How do I get them and the engineers to where I want them.

4) How to best prepare for the blizzard winter offensive? How do I support fort construction by my units the best?

5)Is it possible to catch the AI off-guard and capture/destroy factories? How would I notice this? How much of a dent would e.g. capturing Kharkov's T34-plant make in the overall Soviet war effort?

6) How is my loss rate up to this point? I feel I have lost way too many men and much stuff already: I lost 1200 planes, 933 AFV, and 194000 men. The Soviet army has actually GROWN from 3.79 million men on 26 June to 4.89 now. That is downright scary...

7) What kind of ratios do I need to achieve to stand a chance of winning in the long run? Currently, I get 1:5.3 for planes (should be ok, but I am living off the inital destruction of Soviet planes), 1:7.9 for AFVs (I think 1:5 should be ok?), and 1:7.8 for men. Here I think, I should be fine if I can make the Soviets lose three men for every one of me?

Post #: 1
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 6:51:58 PM   
siRkid

Use admin points to attached sub units to your forward units, Set units to stactic that you are not going to be moving to free up trucks for supply. Start digging in soon for the blizzard turns. I don't think you can make it to Moscow in time but that is up to you. During winter try to put your best units in cities and towns to help curb the effects of winter. Attach construction units to the HQs that are going to be digging in.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 2
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 6:54:22 PM   
PyleDriver

Your flanks are in real trouble...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 3
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 7:22:03 PM   
elmo3

2.  No!  That position looks a lot like my AAR from many months ago.  I got within a few hexes of Moscow on a very narrow front but my salient was crushed by the AI when the blizzard hit.  Maybe try looping to the south to pocket the units southwest of Vyazma.  Then start to think about hunkering down for the first winter.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 4
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 7:27:50 PM   
PyleDriver

It does look like your AAR, and it turned ugly...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 5
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 7:31:43 PM   
PyleDriver

Heres a tip: Every advance by your PzC's should have encirclement in mind, small or large doesn't matter. You have to surround Soviet units every step of the way.

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 6
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 7:59:24 PM   
fsp

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

2.  No!  That position looks a lot like my AAR from many months ago.  I got within a few hexes of Moscow on a very narrow front but my salient was crushed by the AI when the blizzard hit.  Maybe try looping to the south to pocket the units southwest of Vyazma.  Then start to think about hunkering down for the first winter.

I did read your AAR back then (thanks again for that!) but did not remember the screenshots that closely. My game looks almost like a one on one copy to yours :-) And I did not like how your game turned out...

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 7
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 8:50:49 PM   
Krec

I agree with pyle, The problem is your flanks become very exposed and outnumbered the farther you go. You can try and crush pockets of them as you go. Thats the real skill. advance,encircle,capture and repeat and doing it fast.

< Message edited by Krec -- 12/12/2010 8:51:10 PM >

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 8
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 9:30:42 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3
Then start to think about hunkering down for the first winter.

But the Germans didnlt know the first winter was coming. They planned on a victoryu before winter.

That the Germans didn't know I had hoped would be somehow built into the game.

-

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 9
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 9:38:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Joe98,

It definitely is built in. If you are playing the Germans, you are welcome to keep advancing right up to the first Blizzard turn and find out what the Germans historically found out the hard way. If you play with hindsight, you can see what would have happened had they realized Typhoon was a campaign too far and focused on their defenses instead.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 10
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/12/2010 9:41:37 PM   
karonagames

quote:

That the Germans didn't know I had hoped would be somehow built into the game.

There is no way to do this without trying to enforce onerous rules that would cause uproar amongst players. Can any historical game be played without looking through the lens of hindsight?

I have "role played" the Axis offensive, and attacked all-out until December and come out of the blizzard OK, but then I have practised blizzard survival techniques.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 11
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/13/2010 12:23:47 AM   
Fred98

The way to do it:  Every time you play, the first winter turn varies from one game to another.

Then the German player does not know exactly when the bad weather is going to arrive.

-

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 12
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/13/2010 1:10:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yep, that's in there too - choose "random weather".

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 13
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/13/2010 1:18:39 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: fsp

I did read your AAR back then (thanks again for that!) but did not remember the screenshots that closely. My game looks almost like a one on one copy to yours :-) And I did not like how your game turned out...

Those who do not learn from history...

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 14
RE: 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions - 12/13/2010 8:26:07 AM   
alaric318

best greetings, the way i know to get more support units, is to increase the support setting from each HQs management screen, it start at 3, go to AG-North headquarters and set to 4 or 5 the headquarters that are going to drive the assault on leningrad, then you will get some extra support units, i guess this cost some resources to the german faction/player, so, some factories can be left without supplies, i usually, the first turn of the games, set at 4 each panzer corp HQ, and to 5 sometimes some infantry formations and of course the HQ's of army group south panzer korps,

best regards,

Murat30.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> 1o hexes to Moscow, lots of questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI