Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Coral Sea stock scenario -- minor issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Coral Sea stock scenario -- minor issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coral Sea stock scenario -- minor issues - 12/13/2010 7:11:00 PM   
janh

I played the Coral Sea scenario again a few times, it is nice because it is small enough for a single evening. Unfortunately I notice two issues for Allied-AI, both regarding the CV TFs.

In one run, the Yorktown TF managed to slip by the Shokaku/Zuikaku TF and set course around New Ireland and New Britain, of course passing by Rabaul. Unfortunately I had 3 Nell/Betty groups on Naval Search/Naval Attack at that time, and you can guess how it ended for the Yorktown TF and its CAs. I suppose even AI should have known that coming by Rabaul ain't the best idea. Maybe something could be done about that in the next patch, maybe some additional check for enemy air/naval strongholds during the TF routing or so (I guess AI does cheat a bit to see OPFOR even through FoW?).

In another few runs, I managed to sink Lexington at its staging hex near Milne Bay, while Yorktown was take care of or moved elsewhere. However, I would have expected the 3 TFs in Lexingtons staging hex, i.e. Surface Combat TFs and Replenishment TFs, to retreat once the main asset is gone. However, they stayed there for a few more days and got pummeled badly until pretty much all ships where either slowly retreating cripples, or gone. Might be a scenario scripting issue that they didn't retreat ("Remain on station"?)? A human player probably would have made a run for it after loss of a CV without returns, so AI should do so as well...
Post #: 1
RE: Coral Sea stock scenario -- minor issues - 12/16/2010 12:17:35 AM   
n01487477

Apparently Coral Sea is too small for the AI to work effectively ... been noted since release iirc

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 2
RE: Coral Sea stock scenario -- minor issues - 12/16/2010 10:43:15 AM   
janh

Maybe, yes.  I played around with the scripting and switched from "remain on station" to "withdrawal allowed".  Seems to be safer for AI now.  Unfortunately it pulls out too early now if the player just sits it out for a turn.  Also the Yorktown TF had waypoints set...

I suppose the scenario is indeed too small for the capabilities of the AI scripting engine.  The scripting engine is rather simple in my opinion, and there would be plenty of potential to enhance the set of available functions and control structures in the future of this series (or hopefully still an AI focused patch/upgrade/addon).  This would add a lot to the value of the game, especially for people that merely have time/interest in playing the AI, or they are like AI modding.
In this case, for example, having a commandlike "Remain on station for 2/4/6 days" would do a much better job for the Lexington TF itself.  And for the surface combat TFs, and the oiler TF, a control structure like "remain on station"+"until"+"TF (x) retreats"  set to the Lex TF.  I suppose you could set the surface combatant TFs to follow the Lex TF, but I then I found they won't react as surface combatants properly anymore...

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Coral Sea stock scenario -- minor issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI