Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Find Unit Command?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Find Unit Command? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 2:28:41 AM   
Avenger

I have been playing the Grand Campaign for days and I sometimes have a hard time finding a particular unit. I bring up the Order of Battle and click the unit but can't find a way to go to that unit once I have it selected in the OOB. I am sure there must be a command, but I have looked through the Hot Key list and can't find it.
Post #: 1
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 2:36:33 AM   
Bearcat2

Left click on the unit in the order of battle, should take you to the map, the unit will have a pink border[it's pink on my machine.]

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Avenger)
Post #: 2
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 2:47:16 AM   
PyleDriver

Really if you wonder where certain units went, then you need to go back a step on playing campaigns...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 3
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 4:37:13 AM   
Avenger

(Sigh). That isn't what I meant. I don't have the game in front of me so I cant go into more details. I want to select units from the commanders report. Not the order of battle. The commanders report lists remaining movement and problems with each individual unit. I want to be able to select a unit from there.

I think I am doing very well and don't need to be insulted. Playing the grand campaign on normal difficulty I had taken Kiev on turn three, Minsk on turn two, and started the siege of Leningrad on turn six. I am learning how to play as I go and doing very well against the AI.

I am NOT losing units. I am trying to find units that have not moved that turn, or have problems on the chart. What I was trying to select units from was a very large chart showing supply, moves remaining, and other things. It had lots of filters on the page. It might be simple but I don't see how to do it.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 4
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 4:50:31 AM   
Flaviusx

Avenger, the commander's report will display the location of each unit in x,y coordinates, and if you click those coordinates it will bring up the unit display and shift you to its location on map.

The trick here is finding the unit you want out of the hundreds listed in a full report. For that you may need to narrow things down by selecting various filters. You can get rid of, for example, all the subunits this way.

Possibly the best way to do this is filter by categories of units of sizes above a battalion. This could still take a while, not gonna lie, given the different categories of units, but at least it would help you observe the CR in bite sized chunks.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Avenger)
Post #: 5
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 12:27:00 PM   
elmo3

You can also hit "H" to search by name.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 6
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 1:10:36 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Really if you wonder where certain units went, then you need to go back a step on playing campaigns...

That isn't a very fair comment and I am surprised it came from you because it did come across as a little demeaning.

I certainly look at the mass of units and wonder wth is what sometimes. And the game lists units by name in many, many places - but the counters have absolutely NO indication of what the unit is unless you click it/hover the mouse over it. All counters are distinguished by colour only. If you asked me where unit x is, I would not have a clue.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 12/14/2010 1:14:55 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 7
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 1:37:04 PM   
Crimguy

The interface works against you a bit with c&c of HQ's. There is no ability to bring HQ units to the top, like there was in TOAW. Additionally, you can't trace command chains with lines on the map, like what's inherent to HttR or CotA. I usually just select a unit and then zoom out a bit to look for the highlighted icon.

Panther's games have some great things that should be considered for future patches . . .

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Find Unit Command? - 12/14/2010 1:40:40 PM   
elmo3

Ctrl-1 highlights all HQ's and color codes them by level.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Find Unit Command? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI