Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Balancing Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Game Balancing Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Balancing Issues - 12/14/2010 7:58:51 AM   
Kregoth

This thread is for discussing issues within the game that are in need of balancing/tweaking.

I created this thread because I think it is something that can help the developers have an easier time seeing what aspects of the game that need balancing. Similar to the Master Wishlist thread but instead of features we would like to add this would be for tweaking or adding features that are needed to make the game more balanced and in the long run hopefully more enjoyable.

Please do your best to keep this thread from becoming a flame war as discussing balancing issues can be tricky Thanks :)

Post #: 1
RE: Game Balancing Issues - 12/14/2010 8:16:32 AM   
Kregoth

Resources:

I think I have seen this mentioned in the wishlist thread enough times for this to be in need of some ideas.

As it stands now Resources can be gather infinitely and even gather incredibly fast, faster then I would like anyway. As it is now I can stick 4 or more of each and every component that gather resources or research, This causes a problem because as my empire grows and really don't need to make more bases for that resource and i can gather it just as fast as i use it.

One solution could be done to help with this is by increasing the maintenance costs of having a base with more then 1 type of each resource component this also goes in hand with research. the number would increase with each additional piece added to a base. In the beginning this is great because you wouldn't be able to afford the cost for maintaining these bases, but you aren't in dire need of the resource because your production isn't that great as your empire grows you can add more into them to increase gathering speeds because you can afford the maintenance costs. perhaps you could tie a research unlock that lowers the maintenance costs of the components.

The other options is to add a finite infinite amount (confusing i know lol) but basically after hitting this finite amount the speed at which the resource is gathered would drop to a very small rate, one at which the player would need to find another place to gather it. The amount should be significant enough that in the early part of your empire it wouldn't be a huge deal, but as you grow in size and begin to go to war where you need these resources far more you would have to get more planets or asteroids that produce them.

This is something I imagine can go into further discussion so please feel free to weigh in all your opinions and ideas.

< Message edited by Kregoth -- 12/14/2010 8:17:02 AM >

(in reply to Kregoth)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Balancing Issues - 12/14/2010 10:59:15 PM   
BigWolfChris

I have to agree that resources need balancing
Atm, the only part of the resource system that gives any sort of challenge (and only a minor one at that) are gases
I'd prefer that more resources are required, but also, certain resources need to be made even rarer

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Kregoth)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Balancing Issues - 12/15/2010 12:07:35 AM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

I have to agree that resources need balancing
Atm, the only part of the resource system that gives any sort of challenge (and only a minor one at that) are gases
I'd prefer that more resources are required, but also, certain resources need to be made even rarer

I think you'll find that some resources are not quite as plentiful as before, as least that's been my experience on 250 Star maps.

There seem to be more Tiers (unique, rare, not so common, etc.) of resource availability than there were previously.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Game Balancing Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI