Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Running out of resources

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Running out of resources Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Running out of resources - 12/14/2010 11:11:58 PM   
Setekh

Right, a few times I've played and saw my construction yards simply stop building ships for apparently no reason. It wasn't until a little while later that I had actually run out of Argon gas which was needed for all the shield generators. However there was no warning that construction had halted because of a resource shortage.

Is there some way to have the game tell you if production halts because there isn't enough materials to complete the build queue? because I'm pretty sure telepathy wasn't mentioned in the system requirements when I installed this game...

Post #: 1
RE: Running out of resources - 12/14/2010 11:34:15 PM   
ASHBERY76

Is this in the expansion,it should be.

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 2
RE: Running out of resources - 12/15/2010 12:01:22 AM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Setekh

Right, a few times I've played and saw my construction yards simply stop building ships for apparently no reason. It wasn't until a little while later that I had actually run out of Argon gas which was needed for all the shield generators. However there was no warning that construction had halted because of a resource shortage.

Is there some way to have the game tell you if production halts because there isn't enough materials to complete the build queue? because I'm pretty sure telepathy wasn't mentioned in the system requirements when I installed this game...

This is where you need to look at your Expansion Planner once in a while to make sure you have enough sources for the materials.

Don't count on one source being sufficient, odds are Pirates/Enemy AI will target your weak areas in your supply lines to cripple you.

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 3
RE: Running out of resources - 12/15/2010 12:07:30 AM   
Setekh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

This is where you need to look at your Expansion Planner once in a while to make sure you have enough sources for the materials.

Don't count on one source being sufficient, odds are Pirates/Enemy AI will target your weak areas in your supply lines to cripple you.

Bear in mind I'm still very new to this game (3 days) and still haven't figured everything out yet. I had a look at the expansion planner and whilst that is helpful, my original complaint hasn't been addressed. If a planet runs out of a certain type of resource, a message at the top of the screen in the message box saying "Planet X has run out of resource Y therefore construction has been suspended" would be nice. That way I can address the issue.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 4
RE: Running out of resources - 12/15/2010 12:12:50 AM   
Spacecadet

Yeah, I understand what you're talking about.

There's quite a learning curve to this game.

You should always have a few Constructors on Auto and they'll generally make sure you have the Strategic resources you need.

The problem arises when you do actually have the resources but they're far away . . . well, then you have to wait for Private Enterprise to get a Freighter of that resource delivered.

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 5
RE: Running out of resources - 12/15/2010 1:49:33 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

Yeah, I understand what you're talking about.

There's quite a learning curve to this game.

You should always have a few Constructors on Auto and they'll generally make sure you have the Strategic resources you need.

The problem arises when you do actually have the resources but they're far away . . . well, then you have to wait for Private Enterprise to get a Freighter of that resource delivered.

Also, make sure not to over-engineer your freighters. While efficiency dictates that you haul as much around in 1 trip as possible, reality means the time between those loads are pretty long. Freighters are one thing I don't redesign in the game, just leave em like they are.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 6
RE: Running out of resources - 12/15/2010 1:54:52 AM   
Grotius

I agree with the OP, though -- this was the first thing to puzzle me about DW. Why not a warning when production has been halted? Maybe it's been implemented since I last played, but if not, I hope it's a priority for the expansion or a post-release patch. Yes, one should monitor production anyway, but the game warns us about lots of other stuff -- why not this too?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Running out of resources Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI