Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: One Weird Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/9/2010 7:49:02 PM   
paullus99

So far, your decision about Bombay seems to be working out - I can't imagine at this point, given the time you've had to bring in the reinforcements, that he can even dedicate the number of troops and aircraft required to take the city.

Since he only seems to be taking 1/2 steps in India, his focused has definitely shifted elsewhere. I would expect the hammer to fall fairly soon - keep up your searches - because as soon as you see the KB, you know he's serious.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1021
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/9/2010 8:04:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, paullus.

I'm nearly certain he'll move on Suva.

What I'm struggling with at this very moment is how to best handle the Japanese advance north of Bombay. Brad may be coming with seven to ten divisions there (these are in addition to the five to seven he has in and around Bombay). I need to determine now whether I can make a successful stand at Jalagon/Indore with the troops I have at my disposal - about 2300 AV (and I can probably draw on a few hundred more from the Surat and Karachi garrisons if necessary). I can certainly handle seven divisions, but ten or more would be tough. I need to be sure Brad can't obtain 2:1 odds against my force or pin them down and then isolate them.

But help is coming, both from more reinforcements that will arrive over the next few weeks, and the increased number of USAAF aircraft that are already present at Karachi. As soon as Ahmadebad goes to level nine - just a matter of perhaps ten days - I can make maximum use of that base.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1022
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/9/2010 9:06:11 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Bullwinkle, I don't understand the comment about Bombay. What makes you think I didn't have to fight there, or shouldn't have?

I can't really discuss this. I'll just add that I'm not necessarily talking about recent events, or even that all of the factors were in your control alone. Your analysis of the situation in recent game periods is fine IMO.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1023
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/9/2010 10:45:54 PM   
Canoerebel

My inquiry wasn't meant to delve into info from Q-Ball's AAR, so if this is treading too close, I appreciate your reluctance to discuss it in more detail.

On another matter entirely, as I await developments in India, and the possible appearance of the KB anywhere from India to Suva to Midway, here are some of my more "outlying" thoughts:

1. I'm sure Brad wonders whether the Allies are contemplating a move on the Kuriles before Arctic winter conditions go into effect on November 1. He may be awaiting that - which in effect will be the all-clear for the Kuriles until March - before committing the KB to an operation against Suva. If so, that gives me about another month to reinforce Suva, and I have two Marine regiments and 112th Cavalry Regiment aboard trnasports that just departed San Diego for Australia (these troops are prepped for Sumatran bases). I may divert some or all to Suva given time.

2. If Brad moves on Suva, as expected, in early November, the Allies will promptly proceed with the Marcus and Wake invasions.

3. If things get hairy for Bombay, the Allies may orchestrate a big supply convoy covered by the carriers. This would be a "last resort" operation, but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind.

4. If the KB is employed in the Pacific, the Allies may bump up the invasion of Sumatra. With so many, many IJA divisions accounted for in India, Truk, and Rabaul, I think the opposition would be fairly light. This, too, is a longshot

5. I will probably need all Indian reinforcements due to arrive in about six days (600 AV) in NW India, but if things were to go unexpectedly well there over the coming week, I might prep the reinforcements for Goa. That base is lightly held and, if taken by the Allies, would seriously threaten the rear of the Japanese army at Bombay. The invasion would have to be covered by the Allied carriers.

All of these, except the Marcus/Wake operations, are unlikely, but I am trying to develop contingency plans in case unexpected opportunities pop up or major problems occur (like Bombay running out of supply).

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1024
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 4:41:58 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

My inquiry wasn't meant to delve into info from Q-Ball's AAR, so if this is treading too close, I appreciate your reluctance to discuss it in more detail.

Good point, and good sportsmanship. Evidently Q-Ball looks at the air struggle over Bombay differently than you do, or it wouldn't still be going on. Definitely remember to discuss this with him when the game is done.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1025
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 5:30:02 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

Bullwinkle, I don't understand the comment about Bombay. What makes you think I didn't have to fight there, or shouldn't have?

Alot of thought went in the decision to make a stand. Some of the most important factors:

1. If Brad had taken Bombay, he could have based combat ships and/or carriers there, which would have made it much easier for him to impose a tight blockade on Karachi.

2. Strongly garrisoned, Bombay is almost impregnable due to its 4x-urban multiplier. For Brad to take it will require the use of probably 10-15 divisions. He can't do that because it leaves his flank open.

3. Alternatively, Brad can "bypass" Bombay and move to the north and west, but he has to leave behind a strong force to keep the Allied garrison in check (he can't have that 2,600-AV army moving behind him).

4. Bombay has a level-nine airfield - an important attribute in the hands of either army.

5. Had the Allies vacated Bombay, instead withdrawing back behind the "line of death," there aren't any naturally strong defensive positions. The Japanese can basically surround any base or hex short of Karachi. That means, ultimately, the Allies would be faced with withrawing into Karachi, a lonely outpost that would be within easy range of Japanase bombers and fighters. Supply would quickly become a real problem if the IJN closed down access to Karachi. And getting reinforcmeents in would have been nearly impossible.

Honest, this seems like a no-brainer to me. I think my decision not to use my carriers can be questioned. I think my present decision whether to stand and fight northeast of Bombay, or whether to instead pull back, can be questioned. But defending Bombay? No. To withdraw from Bombay would have been Buford and Reynolds at Gettysburg deciding, "Hey, maybe there's better ground to defend further north, like around New York City."

Hmmmm...Buford...

Just finished Cozzens Iuka and Corinth Book Dan. Thanks to you I have spent a small fortune buying all of that author's books!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1026
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 6:25:03 AM   
JeffroK

Maybe north of NYC would have been better

For all of the comments about the War of Southern Aggresion, I find land combat on the larger battlefields, India, China, Australia, more akin to a Napoleonic style. My favourite is the Spanish Peninsula and so much in the game is similar to Wellesley out manouvring the French Generals.

Thought from the bleachers, is your USAAF being used efficiently? It could make a major difference in India, but also be well out of place to affect other areas.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1027
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 1:13:52 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
Thought from the bleachers, is your USAAF being used efficiently? It could make a major difference in India, but also be well out of place to affect other areas.

I think the USAAF is being used optimally for the following reasons:

1. Allied 2EB (B-25, B-26, etc) are essentially uselss against enemy shipping. So employing them in the Pacific is a waste of resources.

2. Allied 4EB (B-17, B-24) are minimally effective against shipping. They are effective against enemy bases and troops, and even make effective "fighters" downing enemy CAP.

Deploying Allied LBA on Pacific islands isn't effecient. The bases are too small and the opportunities to hit enemy bases and troops uncertain or minimal.

So, when possible, it is desireable and optimal to employ bombers en masse in campaigns on the continents (India, Australia, Burma, Malaya) or large islanda (New Zealand, New Guinea, Java, Philippines, Sumatra, etc.). The only place I can do that, at present, is India - and that's good since India is where the critical action is taking place.

I won't need my bombers in Oz. Allied troops there are sufficient to handle whatever Brad could commit. And it wouldn't be efficient to deploy them to New Zealand. In the first place, a Japanese move there isn't a certainty. In the second, Japan can win the war in India, but not in New Zealand. I'd rather use the USAAF where they are most needed and most effective.

As for the USAAF's presence in India, they are critical. I think everybody knows by now that RAF fighters (especially Hurricanes) are eaten alive by Tojos. Only the Lightnings and P-40K can compete. So USAAF fighters are all that stand against Japan's ability to employ an uncontested bombing camapaign.

The USAAF in India will also serve two important functions: (1) A sustained LBA bombing campaign against Japanese troops (this will increase signficantly in tempo as soon as I can base unlimited numbers of aircraft at Ahmadebad, which will reach level 9 in about ten days); and (2) if the Allies need to force supply convoys into Bombay, land-based fighters will be crucial to CAP, whether they fight on their own or combine with carrier fighters. I wouldn't even consider sending my carriers close to Bombay if I couldn't put up a significant land-based CAP.

Readers may disagree with my analysis, but at least you can see alot of thought went into my decision to commit the USAAF to India in a big way.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1028
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 2:06:09 PM   
paullus99

I agree with your committment to India - auto-victory is still in play & you can't afford to let Q have uncontested control of the air, especially if he's making aggressive moves towards your MLR. Of course, these aggressive moves on his part could be part of a deception plan while he tries his hand at something on the other side of the map - keep your forces tied down long enough for him to complete whatever operation he's in the middle of right now (I can't imagine you won't see him commit elsewhere very, very soon).

He knows he just can't up and abandon India or let you grab the initiative - his land forces just take too long to move & telegraph his intentions anyway - so moving towards you is probably his best bet for diverting your attention.

Of course, this means that whatever he has in the works is going to be a heavy naval operation - probably all his carriers, plus BBs - so the Suva area has got to be it, because nothing else, save Auckland, makes sense at this point (from a VP standpoint).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1029
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 2:09:47 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Of course, this means that whatever he has in the works is going to be a heavy naval operation - probably all his carriers, plus BBs - so the Suva area has got to be it, because nothing else, save Auckland, makes sense at this point (from a VP standpoint).

I know mines are almost useless, but if you have any, perhaps now is the time. Don't know if there is still time but mine layers can probably refill at New Zealand, no?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1030
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 2:37:50 PM   
Canoerebel

9/23/42 and 9/24/42

The Jalagon Campagin: The Japanese army continues to advance on Jalagon in two main groups - one from the south estimated at about four division strength and one from the east of about the same size. The vanguard of both IJ armies is within a hex now. The Allies have 1400 AV behind four forts in the wooded Jalagon hex. A second force anchored by 27th US Division plus a Marine RCT, Marine tanks, UK brigade, and Indian brigade will take position one hex to the northeast to guard against a flanking manuever. I think Brad will try to threaten Jalagon with envelopment, so I need a sizeable force to counter. Additional reinforcements are moving by rail to nearby Indore. The Allies currently have about 2500 AV committed, with another 250 on the way. I'm guessing Japan may have eight divisions plus other units totalling perhaps 4,000 AV (if Brad has ten divisons and 5,000 AV...hard times ahead). This will be a tough and crucial battle.

India in the Air: Japan doesn't have any airfields close to the field of battle while the Allies do. This may be critical. On the 24th, Allied 2EB and 4EB struck en masse, one prong doing some damage to 6th Guards/C Division:

Allied aircraft
Wellington Ic x 7
B-17F Fortress x 8
B-24D Liberator x 11
B-26 Marauder x 9

Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
450 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

India at Sea: The transports carrying an armored brigade are heading from Abadan to Karachi tonight.

NoPac: Allied transport TFs and a combat TF led by BB Warpsite continue to steam back and forth. I hope Brad is picking up on increased shipping activity.

CenPac: A tank unit will arrive at Pearl Harbor tomorrow, boosting the garrison to nearly 2,000 AV. I consider Hawaii safe. The last unit slated for the pending Marcus/Wake invasions (7th Marine CD) will arrive at Pearl in about four days. As noted previously, the trigger for these invasions is any appearance by the KB at a distant point like Suva or the Arabian Sea.

SoPac: 3rd Marine Raiders will arrive at Suva in less than a week. I suspect, but I'm not positive, that Brad will hold off on invasions in SoPac until the window for any Allied invasion of NoPac closes, which will happen in about three weeks (if Brad doesn't detect an invasion force gathering in the Aluetians by mid October or so, he's going to conclude that the region is safe until spring). So I'm playing a hunch here that any invasion of Fiji or NZ won't occur before October 20 or so. I do expect Brad to commit everything to the venture. He won't have a particularly easy time of it on Fiji, since the Allies have 750 AV on the island. But I think New Zealand is a less likely target. Auckland would have at least 800 AV behind five forts. Brad would probably need four or five divisions to handle that, but for all he knows I have more troops than that. (A NZ invasion would really bother me, but I'm playing my best hunch here since I can't commit troops everywhere).

SWPac: I've just ordered 6th Australian Divisions to begin prepping for Padang. In the unlikely event I decide to expedite an invasion of Sumatra, that would give me three US Army divisions, the one Oz division, plus a few Marine regiments, tanks, and the like. I strongly prefer to have six to eight divisions when I make my move on Sumatra, but I need to be ready just in case a big opportunity or need arises.

Summary: We're getting down to the nitty-gritty now.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/10/2010 2:42:10 PM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1031
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 2:51:38 PM   
JohnDillworth

If he is marching with 8+ Divisons and has pulled a few to Raubal he has to be weak somewhere. How may do you suppose are guarding Bombay? Any chance of a breakout?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1032
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 3:08:35 PM   
Canoerebel

John, good question. With armies on the move it's a little bit hard to pinpoint the division locations at the moment. I'm also struggling with the "everything's coming...the sky is falling...I'm dead!" syndrome. That kind of panic reaction to a fluid and uncertain situation makes me want to pull back, but my more rational side is urging me to stay and fight. Here's my best guess as to what's where:

1. Japan has three or four divisions prepping for Suva and currently posted at Truk and Rabaul.
2. Japan has (or recently had) as many as 17 divisions committed to India. Of that number:

a) I believe one (33rd) has been pulled back to Burma
b) Five are currently at Bombay (5, 12, 18, 38 and 48)
c) One (1st) is between Bombay and Surat on the coastal road
d) That may leave Brad with as many as ten, which is my estimated worst case scenario. Those I currently know are involved in the campaign: Imperial Guards, 6th Guards, 54th, 10th. Known recently to be in India and thus probably involved:
4th Guards, Guards Tanks, 4th, 52nd). Prepping for Karachi but whereabouts unknown: 28th.

So I think the eight to ten division estimate may be on target.

3. No breakout possibility at Bombay. I have 2700 AV. Brad has 2200. With the urban multiper, I don't stand a chance, me thinks.

4. With that kind of commitment, Brad probably doesn't have much on Sumatra, which may offer some opportunities (even so, an early Sumatra invasion will be tough to support by sea once the KB finally shows up).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/10/2010 3:13:09 PM >

Post #: 1033
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 5:39:13 PM   
paullus99

Well, his "tip of the spear" forces have been committed, that's for sure. Of course, he could be back-filling with the ton of Naval Guard units that he gets, though they can't stand up to the same pounding as his regular infantry formations.

Of course, he could certainly be weak in a bunch of places, but with the KB still intact & your current committments to India - I think you're playing it very smart when considering your first offensive actions. I think the Sumatra gambit could be premature, even though it could cut off his force in India, because he's likely to react extremely violently & I don't think you've got the available forces for a full-scale slugfest with him right now (in his own aircover).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1034
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 5:51:55 PM   
Canoerebel

While the Alies could probably successfully invade Sumatra and seize three or four cities in strength, I have grave, grave doubts that I could supply that army. Doing so would require commitment of my carriers, but once the KB showed up, Japanese naval aircraft and LBA would have a decided numerical and qualitative advantage. That means I can proceed at this point only under the most auspicious of circumstances. It is very unlikely that such conditions will occur, but I'm trying to prepare just in case.

At some point, I believe the Allies will be able to invade Sumatra with such force that Japan cannot successfully counterattack. If Sumatra remains relatively lightly garrisoned well into 1943, an Allied invasion by eight well-supplied divisions with plenty of support and LBA would be a formidable force indeed. Too, at that point Allied carriers should be able to keep the LOC open (assuming no carrier battle losses in the interim).

As for India at the moment, I know Brad is using Naval Guard units and the like to hold of his rear bases, but there's nothing I can do about it yet. But I do have a Marine 'chutes battalion available if an opporunity should arise.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/10/2010 5:52:44 PM >

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1035
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 8:56:50 PM   
JeffroK

I was thinking more that the USAAF Mediums (the trickle that you get) was being underutilised, assuming that they were garrisoning Salt Lake City.

Good to see them being used in, at the moment, is the only important theatre.

Counting Divisions.
Dont forget the IJA also hase a good number of Tank Rgts and IMB's which quickly add up to a Div equivalent.

If you do the Wake/Marcus invasions, would the force you are getting prepped and in place for Sumatra be better used on that axis, maybe for iwo or the Marianas??

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1036
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/10/2010 10:28:30 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
If you do the Wake/Marcus invasions, would the force you are getting prepped and in place for Sumatra be better used on that axis, maybe for iwo or the Marianas??

Maybe. Maybe not. If I could get a major ldogement on southern (true compass eastern) Sumatra and hold it, though, it would be death to Japan's oil resources. Palembang would be toast. Batavia and Singapore would be closed. It would be a nightmare for Japan. On the other hand, the Mariannas are just another stepping stone to the heartland. Sumatra is the heartland.

if I ultimately decide against Sumatra, though, I'll be sifting through other possbile targets and the Mariannas would be on that list. But that won't work until the Allies are assured of carrier parity or superiority.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1037
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/11/2010 12:49:48 PM   
Canoerebel

9/25/42

Battle of Jalagon: Both sides are still maneuvering toward battle. The Japanese have two stacks totalling roughly 100k troops (seems like about five divisions) - one south of Jalagon and one east. Meanwhile, part of an IJA tank division is trying to come around Jalagon from the northeast. It can't go any further because it has entered a hex occupied by a Marine tanks unit. I think Brad will bombard tomrrow to feel things out. By then, a Brit brigade, Indian brigade, and Marine arty unit will have joined the Marine tanks. 27th USA Divsionis a few days away. Allied bombers scored some hits against Imperial Guards and another unit or two, but whether Brad is feeling the damage I don't know. I do know that he hasn't been able to put up any decent LRCAP. We seem to be fighting where the Allies control the air (his closest field larger than size one is Poona, about six hexes distant). No additional IJA divsions confirmed in this area today.

SoPac: 3rd Marine Raiders is two days out of Suva.

SwPac: The Norfolk Island invasion troops are loading aboard transports at Melbourne.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1038
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/12/2010 8:18:20 PM   
Canoerebel

9/26/42

India on the Ground: Allied forces will bombard the IJA's 6th Tank Division/C northeast of Poona tomorrow. The two Japanese "stacks" haven't moved into Jalagon yet. The situation is rapidly unfolding as this should be a decisive battle.

India in the Air: Brad has stood down his bombers for several days. His airfield at Poona just went to level eight (going from seven to eight took more than a month). Allied 4EB and 2EB once again hit the IJA troops around Jalagon with some effect.

India at Sea: A transport TF is unloading supplies at Karachi.

SoPac: The Norfolk Island invasion force departs Melbourne tonight, bound first for Hobart to refuel. 3rd Marine Raiders will arrive at Suva tonight.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1039
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/13/2010 3:36:42 PM   
Canoerebel

9/27/42

The crucial Battle of Jalagon continues to develop (see map below), and two early but important questions have been answered, while the big question remains to be answered.

Preliminary Questions: It does not appear that Japan has sufficient troops to both lay siege to Jalagon and send troops around the flanks to threaten the Allied army with envelopment. This is a major development. If true, the second question has been answered - I probably made the right decision in standing and fighting here.

The Remaining (and big) Question: The big questions is whether the Allies have enough to hold Jalagon. I think Japan will have more than 100,000 troops. The Allies currently have about 50k (1404 AV) behind four forts in a wooded (2x defense) hex. I am sending reinforcements - 280 AV armored units by rail from Surat (they should arrive tomorrow if the Allies retain control of the Jalagon hex) and 27th USA Division (390 AV), which should arrive in about four or five days. If these three units arrive on schedule, I think the Allies can hold this hex.

On the Flanks: Meanwhile, it appears the Allies have sufficient troops to threaten Japan's flanks. I plan to use 5th Marines, a UK Bde, an Indian Bde, and several small UK armored units to probe Japan's eastern (right) flank.

In the Air: Massed Japanese bombers hit Jalagon to no effect while Allied 2EB and 4EB continued to whittle on Japanese units. The Allies appear to have the upper hand in the air, due primarily to the fact that Brad doesn't have any airfields close by. Meanwhile, Ahmadebad airfield is 96% to level nine. This bump should take place in two days, at which time the Allies will move from Karachi to that base another 100 or so bombers (mostly B-25 and B-26 models).

Intel: The Allies bombarded the small Jap tank unit NE of Jalagon today, so Brad knows some Marine units (1st Tanks, 1st Arty, and 5th RCT) are present in India. Tomorrow he'll find 1st Marines when the Allies bombard at Jalagon. He probably suspected that the Allies would reinforce from America, but I wonder what he makes of this. (He probably won't discover 27th Division until they arrive at Jalagon in four or five days).

Reinforcements: A UK armored unit (about 140 AV) arrives at Karachi in two days. I may have to leave it there to bump the garrison, which is down to 200 AV.

Pacific: Quiet here. My money is still on Brad remaining cautious until winter arrives and shuts down the possibility of an Allied move in NoPac. The Norfolk Island invasion TFs departed Melbourne yesterday. They will refuel at Hobart in a day or two and then proceed NE. Meanwhile, 3rd Marine Raiders safely landed at Suva, bumping the garrison's AV to 570.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/13/2010 4:47:23 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1040
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 5:08:35 AM   
Cribtop

IMHO you've got him. The high water mark is probably reached as I think your resistance is stronger than anticipated and he's shot his bolt. Do you think there is any chance he still has significant reserves in India? If not, I just don't see how he wins.

Be open to the possibility that he has seen through your NOPAC feint. Not saying he has, but if so he may drop the hammer on Suva within two weeks of opening his big move in India.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1041
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 9:41:32 AM   
Canoerebel

9/28/42

The early phases of the Battle of Jalagon continue to favor the Allies.

Jalagon: All but three small IJA units have arrived at Jalagon, as did two British armored units. The Allies bombarded, which meant that both sides got to see what the other side has. Japan has the following divisions: 10th, Guards Tanks, Imperial Guards, 54th, 4th Guards, and 6th Guards. There is also 2/3rds of 2nd Tank Division, 7th Independent Tank Brigade, and two HQ units. No engineers are present. The Japanese have 3,200 AV. The Allies have 1700 AV (including 300 armored that just arrived in strategic mode). This is a wooded hex with four forts. It will be at least three days before 27th USA Division arrives. I don't detect any more IJA troops on the way, so the odds may not get any better for Brad. He probably needs to shock attack tomorrow. It might be a close thing, though the absence of engineers may cost him greatly. I feel fairly confident that the garrison will hold long enough for the American division to arrive and that should be enough to secure the base. In fact, unless Brad has reinforcements on the way, he may already be contemplating an exit strategy due to other developments in the area.

NE of Jalagon: Ground combat took place on the flank with the Allies really roughing up two IJA tank units:

Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 8298 troops, 126 guns, 219 vehicles, Assault Value = 502
Defending force 4347 troops, 85 guns, 346 vehicles, Assault Value = 221
Allied adjusted assault: 165
Japanese adjusted defense: 49

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
623 casualties reported
Squads: 21 destroyed, 14 disabled
Non Combat: 42 destroyed, 72 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 7 (5 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 189 (94 destroyed, 95 disabled)
Units retreated 2

Allied ground losses:
205 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
6th British Brigade
5th Marine Regiment
1st USMC Tank Battalion
8th Indian Brigade
1st USMC Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
1st Tank/B Division
1st Tank/C Division

Impact: This means both flanks of the Japanese stack at Jalagon are open. To the NE and E, this battle pretty much wiped out his flanking units. These Allied units plus a few others will advance toward the east, threatening the road by which half the Japanese army entered Jalagon. A Brit recce unit will threaten the other road. Unless Brad has reinforcements on the way, his flanks are vulnerable and he's going to be thinking retreat.

In the Air: Ahmadebad airfield just went to level nine. The Allies staged forward more than 100 bombers. Three squadrons of Blenheims and one of Banshees will concentrate on 1st IJA Division on the road south of Surat. The balance - B-25s and B-26s will join the B-17s and B-24s in hitting the Japanese stack at Jalagon. Wellingtons and B-26s from other bases will work on the retreating Japanaese armored units.

Accounting for IJA Divisions: In addition to the six IJA divisions at Jalagon, there is another north of Bombay, five at Bombay, and at least one in Burma. 4th Division, recently at Benares, is unaccounted for. There may be as many as three others. These may be serving garrison duty, may be flanking (though I have picket units out), or could even be part of an amphibious force if Brad intended to draw the Allies forward so that he could invade Surat or even Karachi (unlikely, but not impossible).

Summary: Brad can turn the tables at Jalagon if his army quickly and effectively shock attacks and takes the hex. If he fails to attack, or if his attack is unsuccessful, then the Allies seem to be in position to threaten the Japanese army with isolation. I'm also keeping my eye out for flanking maneuvers or the unlikley but possible invasion. (A Brit armored unit arrives at Karachi tomorrow, bringing that garrison up to 320 AV; an invasion there would trigger reinforcements of one additional division in the hex, so I think Karachi is fairly safe).

NoPac: I doubt Brad thinks the Allies will move in NoPac, but he won't be positive. So he has to allow for the possibility for about three more weeks.

CenPac: Quiet here. Brad is reconning Midway and Baker Island. Both are garrisoned and well-supplied, so there's nothing else I can do.

SoPac: More supplies have landed at Suva bringing the level to 32k. The Norfolk Island invasion TF will refuel at Hobart tonight. D-Day in less than a week.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1042
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 2:48:49 PM   
Canoerebel

Map of the Battle of Jalagon, West India, as of September 28, 1942:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1043
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 3:25:13 PM   
witpqs

Could those units have significant organic complements of combat engineers? Anyway, I think the air pounding to cause disruption is most crucial here.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1044
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 7:10:04 PM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Could those units have significant organic complements of combat engineers? Anyway, I think the air pounding to cause disruption is most crucial here.

Assuming the TOE is the same as Scen 1, japanese divisions have on the order of 3-4 dozen embedded combat engineers.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1045
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 8:02:18 PM   
Canoerebel

So you're telling me that my hopes that Brad had come unprepared are dashed. Darn.

Brad has got to attack at Jalagon before 27th USA Division arrives in three or four days, and the Allies have to hold Jalagon until then. This could be the critical battle of the campaign and possibly of the entire war.

It's Gettysburg and my guys are Hancock's men in the copse of trees on Cemetery Ridge. Brad is General Pickett. (Odd that he, the Yankee, is the Reb, and I, the Reb, am the Yankee).

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 1046
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 9:17:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

So you're telling me that my hopes that Brad had come unprepared are dashed. Darn.

Brad has got to attack at Jalagon before 27th USA Division arrives in three or four days, and the Allies have to hold Jalagon until then. This could be the critical battle of the campaign and possibly of the entire war.

It's Gettysburg and my guys are Hancock's men in the copse of trees on Cemetery Ridge. Brad is General Pickett. (Odd that he, the Yankee, is the Reb, and I, the Reb, am the Yankee).

I like your troop dispositions and movement around Jalagon, Billy Yank. You have him on the horns of a real tactical dilemma.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1047
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/14/2010 10:17:48 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Probably going to have to hold for a few days. You only have a couple of things you can do at this point (most of these things were not available at Gettysburg);
1.) Pour on the air strikes. It's going to be close so you can't afford to skimp here.
2.) Check your leaders on the front. Only the best and brightest here
3.) Show some threats to distract ( I think you are doing this)
4.) Distract and deceive. Too late for a fake amphibious invasion, but you might want to fire off those paratroops somewhere threatening, or seeming so

Hopefully the 27th will be enough once they arrive.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1048
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/15/2010 7:51:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Brad was out of town yesterday, so no turn in the box until late tonight.

About two months ago, Brad's rate of play slowed dramatically.  At first I wondered if he might be playing some mind games - trying to throw me off my rhythm or trying to make me think there was nothing "exciting" going on at his end of the game. (If that's paranoid thinking, I'm guilty.)

Then Brad said that real life business matters were responsible (most of our turns have been done during regular business hours due to my situation).  But the fact that Brad isn't updating his AAR any longer is out of character.  He does have time at night to do stuff, he says, but he's not posting.

That leads me to wonder whether he's lost interest in our game.  I don't see how, considering he's had the Allies on the edge of disaster for months now, but no other explanation seems to fit.

Post #: 1049
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/15/2010 7:55:30 PM   
witpqs

Well, purely just a stab at it - maybe after the period where work has had him buggered plus the titanic struggle to conquer the world, he's just tuckered out and needs a temporary slowdown?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI