Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Window Controls Disabled

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Window Controls Disabled Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Window Controls Disabled - 12/14/2010 4:34:20 AM   
Twilight2k3

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I did a search and didn't see this problem...

When I run WitE, I cannot do anything to the window it opens in. The minimize, maximize and exit buttons are disabled and I can't move the window at all. If I open other windows, everything works fine, it only happens in the WitE window. I've also tried Windows keystrokes, right clicking the window frame, and right clicking the taskbar button but nothing works.

I am running Windows XP with an nvidia 8800GT card at a native resolution of 1920x1200. The game window is 1024x768 and centered in my monitor.

The really strange thing is that the map scolls when my mouse is at the edges of my monitor, not the game window.

This is the only program I've had this issue with.

Also, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling with the same results.

< Message edited by Pilgrim -- 12/14/2010 4:43:42 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/15/2010 5:32:27 AM   
Twilight2k3

I've tried everything I can think of but the problem persists. Any suggestions?

(in reply to Twilight2k3)
Post #: 2
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/15/2010 1:48:13 PM   
pompack

There was an earlier post on this issue but I don't remember the resolution. Search the earlier posts

Post #: 3
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/15/2010 6:21:44 PM   
Twilight2k3

Thanks but no luck I found resizing issues with the graphics, but this is different. The entire Windows frame and all associated functions are disabled when I run WitE. All other programs work fine.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 4
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/15/2010 6:41:55 PM   
Helpless

Did you try to run it as administrator?

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Post #: 5
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/15/2010 7:58:24 PM   
Twilight2k3

Yes. I'm in XP with the primary admin account.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 6
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/15/2010 8:01:25 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pilgrim

Thanks but no luck I found resizing issues with the graphics, but this is different. The entire Windows frame and all associated functions are disabled when I run WitE. All other programs work fine.

The post I remember was similar: the three windows button in the upper right corner were disabled and all other applications worked fine. Since you didn't find it here it must have been in the main forum but I can't find it either.

Post #: 7
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/16/2010 12:29:11 AM   
Twilight2k3

Thanks for looking. It might have been my original post in the main forum under the thread Two newby questions.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 8
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/16/2010 1:52:56 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pilgrim

Thanks for looking. It might have been my original post in the main forum under the thread Two newby questions.

That's not it, but it did tickle my memory enough to kinda remember the post and it won't help: move it to the center and grab the corners to manually resize was basically what it said.

Now thinking about this "the map scolls when my mouse is at the edges of my monitor, not the game window" makes me suspect it is a driver problem; have you updated your drivers?

Now this game is unique in my experience in that when I have a small window (e.g. mail) open with WitE in the background, I can move to the WitE portion and scroll the map without flipping the other window into the background as long as I don't click anywhere. So thinking about the point above, it almost sounds like it thinks it has another window open but you can't see it. Odd that. So last thought: have you tried rebooting and then opening ONLY WitE after the reboot? Also check the Task Manager to make sure it agrees that your only application is WitE.

That's not much help, but other than that I'm no help at all. Sorry

Post #: 9
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/16/2010 5:20:08 AM   
Twilight2k3

Thanks again for the suggestions, but no dice. Tried several drivers, safe mode, etc.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 10
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/16/2010 12:38:51 PM   
Helpless

So far it this is the most mysterous problem reported. As I understand you can run/play the game, but no way to maximize/minimize/close? and nothing pop ups when you right click the small icon on the top/lest.

Btw, is there a difference in behavior between 1.00 and betas?

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Post #: 11
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/16/2010 1:09:33 PM   
Twilight2k3

I don't understand it either. This is the only windowed game or program I have this issue with. I have the same issue with 1.00 and all 4 beta 1.01 patches.

I did just find a work-around this morning! I created a new desktop icon which skips the menu and opens the game directly. I set the shortcut properties to Run Maximized instead of run Normal and now it uses the full screen at the proper resolution in game. Still can't resize, but I now have a much better view.

If I open the game through the menu, it's just in a 1024x768 window on my 1920x1220 monitor and as I mentioned in the initial post, the map scrolls at the monitor edge, not the game window edge. All maximize/minimise/close functions for that window are disabled.

Thanks all for the help. This will do. It seems this problem is unique to my system.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 12
RE: Window Controls Disabled - 12/16/2010 1:37:40 PM   
Manstein63

This might be a stupid idea but have you tried reducing your graphic card resolution down to 1024 x 768
Manstein63

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Window Controls Disabled Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI