Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Converting CS into CVL

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Converting CS into CVL Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Converting CS into CVL - 12/14/2010 4:24:47 PM   
SirStoffel

Hi players,

I play since years now WitP without any Mods. And I love it... I am deep in 1943 now as Japanese player, and the US Boys will not really have a chance anymore.

But two question:

I upgrade both CS to CVL. The new airgroups are "only" 21 fighter and 9 torpedo, so OK with 30 planes capacity. But for both CVL all four airgroups (2xF; 2xTB) will have 27 planes each. Are you using them on the CVL? Or it is better to use other groups?

How long does it take to switch a carrier air capable air group into a carrier trained? Have anybody had that?

Thanks for comments
Chris
Post #: 1
RE: Converting CS into CVL - 12/16/2010 12:14:35 AM   
rtrapasso

Alas, i can not comment since i've only played the Allied side... perhaps others will comment, though...

(in reply to SirStoffel)
Post #: 2
RE: Converting CS into CVL - 12/16/2010 6:30:31 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirStoffel
Are you using them on the CVL? Or it is better to use other groups?

How long does it take to switch a carrier air capable air group into a carrier trained? Have anybody had that?

01 - As Japanese I routinely swap air units on and off the carriers. I view the carriers as "x amount of deck space" and the carrier air units as having "y amount of deck space occupancy requirement". I just make up the space and the units to maximize the desk space utilization. This is especially true as you lose carriers because the fragments from the sunk carriers will never be anything except fragments. So these fragments can often fill in the gaps. Also breaking down the larger air units helps fit them aboard carriers with additional capacity.

When a new carrier arrives, if its airgroup needs training I will take the airgroup off the carrier and substitute air units with higher EXP. In general I would try to return the trained airgroup to the carrier later - but I don't consider that to be a requirement.

02 - In AE it is possible for carrier capable units to be "promoted" to carrier trained but that does not happen in WITP. A carrier capable unit will always remain carrier capable. But AE, the difference is more pronounced - the "cc" units will take higher operational losses. In WITP, in practice, I don't see much difference. It is there in theory, but in practice, in WITP, "cc" units can be used interchangably with "ct" units. Espcially at higher EXP levels.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to SirStoffel)
Post #: 3
RE: Converting CS into CVL - 12/16/2010 7:26:11 PM   
SirStoffel

Thanks jwilkerson,

normally I did not swap the croups, just "refill" over disbanding trained splitted groups. But if there is no penalty in using other (only ct) units, I will try that. And use theoriginal groups for critical missions.

I have to think about the AE... for me a pleasure to go into more details...

Thanks from frozen Germany
Chris

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: Converting CS into CVL - 12/16/2010 7:28:02 PM   
SirStoffel

sorry ... croups = groups

(in reply to SirStoffel)
Post #: 5
RE: Converting CS into CVL - 12/17/2010 5:59:33 PM   
jwilkerson

Although the optimal solution can vary from one MOD to another, in stock, it is generally better to "disband into" early in the game, but after 1942, I think it is better to refill. This is because the "refill" pilots become just as bad as the "come back after 90 days" pilots from about 1943 on ... so you might as well refill on map and train on map and get a 90 day head start on the training. Some of the on map training options might be restricted by house rules, so that needs to be considered as well.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to SirStoffel)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Converting CS into CVL Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI