Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map size to Point Levels

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Map size to Point Levels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map size to Point Levels - 8/30/2002 2:26:45 AM   
challenge

I have a question about the size of maps to the unit point values people use. Considering map size from the smallest to the huge maps I've played on, I was wondering what some would consider a "normal" point level for each.

There are times I think there are way too many units on a given map. For example 5000 points is a huge force for a small map, but would turn a huge map into a series of small skirmishes. On the small map those 5000 pts give me a force large enough to man unbroken trench lines running from map edge to map edge. At 10,000 pts, I can do the same on a medium sized map, and close to it on a large one.

So my question is.....

What is the optimal map size for max point levels preferred by the warrior's out there?

For example, I prefer more mobile battles (which the AI doesn't do very well) to stationary slugfests, so I tend to think 5000 is too many points for a medium map. Discussion, debate, preferences?

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.
Post #: 1
- 8/30/2002 2:40:07 AM   
Redleg

Tough question.
My preference is reinforced battalion as a maximum size for scenarios.

Larger for pbem.

Never play generated battles at all.

The standard large map seems plenty large enough for battalions.

In scenarios, with some creativity, the AI can be made to conduct pretty solid mobile maneuvering. Sometimes this can make a battle a bit slow to develop and try the patience of players. But a preliminary engagement of some kind will often entertain a player while the AI maneuvers for position.

(in reply to challenge)
Post #: 2
Personal Preference - 8/30/2002 2:10:10 PM   
Capt. Pixel

I tend to follow a '100 points per hex row' guideline in a generated battle. That is 4000 on a small, 8000 on a large, etc.

For me, this is about the right size to allow for a reasonable core and support force with enough left over to provide some units on both flanks. It's also not quite enough to insure complete security across the entire front.

Of course, one could by enough cheap infantry units to be placed three or four deep across the entire front. I don't know anyone who does that (except maybe for Goblin ;) ).

I'm currently playing a 16,000 point game across a Large map (80x100) and I'm finding that my units often end up stacked and STILL three or four deep across the front. And this force includes many Tigers (24) and Panther G Uhu (15)! (Definitely not cheap units). It's mostly a big, ungainly German steamroller, with little to do but move forward. It's frankly less than satisfying. Too much in too small a space. The Panthers are getting round-shouldered. :)

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to challenge)
Post #: 3
- 8/31/2002 11:52:54 AM   
Major Destruction

The newer scenarios built by the more experienced designers provide the greatest challenge.

For me, playing pbem, 5000 points on a large map is enough.

Generated battles against the AI are only for when you are very, very bored.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to challenge)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Map size to Point Levels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI