Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What a game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> What a game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What a game - 8/5/2002 10:37:53 PM   
Toro

Great game, a must-buy. But even that's not enough said.

I've been, of late, shying away from purchasing computer games because they would either be "over promised, under delivered" or not playable due to bugs. Matrix and UV have set a new standard. This game has achieved all the promises made, and when I consider this is the appetizer for War in the Pacific, well, let me just say that I'm a Matrix fan forever.

This game is absolutely fantastic, for the following reasons:

1. Realism -- this ain't no goofy arcade game, this is a grand reflection of reality. I feel as if I'm actually on a combined task force staff, planning and executing the Solomons campaign.

2. Addictive -- I consider this a good trait, and UV is definitely all this and more. I find myself plotting moves at work! (But then, my job is in an office, doing reports and pushing half-baked projects around...). I look forward to returning to the game, prep'ing for or completing an invasion.

3. Support -- everything has minor bugs. It's just that this game was actually playable upon release! (In today's world, that's unheard of anymore.) And, the bugs which were found were taken seriously by Matrix for correction. (Remember when everyone used to do that? Seems like decades ago... oh, it was...). On top of this, Matrix and game fans are always available for Q&A.

4. Intensity and Excitement -- nothing more exhilarating than seeing aircraft appear above your task force... you sweat bullets watching the bombs fall ("please miss! please miss!").

5. Detail is just right -- this game doesn't require me to micromanage (I hate micromanaging stupid tasks), but also gives me enough control to be in the thick of things.

6. It's carrier task force control, for godsake! ('enough said).

Buy this game. Well worth the money, and besides, it'll train you for the real package, War in the Pacific (which, I'm now convinced, will be the epitome of operational wargaming on the computer).

Toro

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 31
Re: What a game - 8/6/2002 1:30:08 AM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toro
[B]........ ("please miss! please miss!").

........ [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds like me on my last date!:D

Post #: 32
I know - 8/11/2002 3:30:06 PM   
pasternakski

I posted on this thread before, but here I am again ...

There I was, cruising along in January 1943 in the full campaign scenario (#17), feeling like I had the world by the short and curlies ... I had held out against the Japanese AI's (artificial intelligence opponent's) assault against my holdings on New Guinea ... I had reinforced Guadalcanal (at Lunga) and built up a respectable base ... I had mounted a major offensive against Lae that was just beginning to yield significant results ... I had fought the vaunted IJN carriers in two engagements and come out the winner, once marginally and once decisively ... I was beginning to spin tales in my mind of the downfall of Rabaul at the hands of my mighty fleets and legions.

Then ... As my battle-hardened, seasoned main CV group moved northwest from Noumea in support of my transport and surface action groups reinforcing bases and patrolling in the Slot area, WHAM! the undetected remnants (and they were more than remnants, my friend) of the previously defeated IJN main body, consisting of Akagi, Hiryu, and (recently reported seriously damaged) Zuikaku, in the company of the recently committed (but unreported by my intelligence or recon) Junyo, struck with all the might remaining in Admiral Yamamoto's air arm.

The reconaissance failure was due to my complacence in not thinking that this area was any longer subject to major IJN fleet operations. Allied search aircraft were bent on finding IJN fleet units further up the Solomons chain and nearer Rabaul. On a squally day in February, 1943, I met my come-uppance. First Enterprise, then Saratoga, soon Hornet, and finally Yorktown succumbed to the onslaught of previously frustrated, but now frenzied, Japanese attack pilots.

Suddenly, the complexion of the entire war in the Pacific had changed. If I was to remain in command, I had now to re-assess the strategic situation and formulate a winning strategy from what had suddenly become a losing hand.

As I contemplated the possibilities, a smile came across my lips as the thought formed itself in my mind, "I love this game."

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 33
- 8/16/2002 8:05:33 PM   
msvknight

UV is fantastic. It was the most expensive computer game I ever bought at $116.00 Aus, but it was worth every cent. My only concern is for the game yet to come. Too many ambitious games fail due to insurmountable problems with the AI and I can see a coherent AI is going to be difficult to do for WITP.

I'll buy it anyway. Its the game I've waited 15 years for and if it is incomplete, Matrix will patch it ;)

Post #: 34
Still Impressed - 8/17/2002 12:32:49 AM   
mbatch729

Ah, gotta love the USN! I had taken Rabaul several weeks ago, game time. Last night, the IJN decided to bombard the island. 3 bombardment task forces attacked. Rabaul was defended by a single task force consisting of the Tennesse, Maryland, and Colorado, 5 heavy cruisers, 3 CLAA's, and about 10 destroyers. This TF fought off all three IJN attacks, including a total of seven IJN BB's. The Maryland, all three CLAA's, two heavies, and 4 destroyers are all on their way back to Noguma, but none sunk. Two Jap BB's, two CA's, a CL, and 5 or 6 DD's have been sent to the bottom, some by DB's on Rabaul in the days following the night actions. But the best part, it was [B]D*MNED FUN[/B] to watch. I Love This Game!

To Joel, et al: You guys have done a fantastic job, both w/the original production and the support afterwards. This game is truly a product you should feel very proud about. THANK YOU!

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Post #: 35
- 8/20/2002 12:50:04 AM   
The Gnome

Just to reiterate what's been said by others this game is a great wargame. The only negative about the game is the amount of sleep it will cause you to lose. It's a classic example of a "just one more turn before bed" game.

Post #: 36
- 8/20/2002 10:13:30 AM   
Luskan

Brilliant game - both SP and PBEM is addictive, fun, and exciting.

But more importantly, the follow up customer support: three patches that address just about every decent complaint I've heard on these boards in the last few months in such a short time is just fantastic. I own lots of computer games, and this one is the best in all areas (and I noted in my own Gamespot review that the guy who did the official one a: couldn't get past the not-printed manual thing, which I don't really care about, and b: sounded like he'd only played the game for an hour before writing his review.).

A pity the aussie supplier was out of stock and it took two weeks for the game to arrive, but more than worth the wait.

Well done Matrix - this is one very satisfied customer who will be coming back when you release WITP or anything else in the future.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

Post #: 37
- 8/30/2002 3:33:21 AM   
PRchrdsn

I would just like to add my kudos to everyone @ 2by3 and Matrix. I bought this game after reading the review on the Wargamer site, but that only piqued my interest. What really convinced me was the support I found when I came to this web site and saw the number and frequency of the patches to a game that had a pretty enthusiastic following from the get-go. The last computer wargame I bought was TOAW, and that was due to the great support that Norm provided his product. I don't mind spending my money when I can see the passion and enthusiasm that the developer and support people have for their product. When they act like they have ownership and pride in their product, the result is almost always a winner.

Definitely the case here. Thanks again, guys! Sleepless nights are here again!:D

Post #: 38
Salute! - 8/30/2002 5:29:30 PM   
Red Spar

Gaming is getting sooo good right now. I have been in gaming nirvana for the past 6 months with games like IL-2, America's Army, Operation Flashpoint Resistance and BF1942.

And what happens?

A friend of mine tells me about this cool wargame called Uncommon Valor....

Jeez guys, this is like the big slice of cake after Thanksgiving dinner. You're killin' me here! Just when I thought it can't get any better than this, UV hits me on the head out of left field.

You guys better not make that whole Pacific Theater game thingy or the wife and kids will have to file a missing persons report on me.

GREAT GAME!

!

'Through the travail of ages,
midst the pomp and toils of war,
have I fought and strove and perished,
countless times among the stars.
As if through a glass and darkly,
the age old strife I see,
whe

Post #: 39
- 9/3/2002 12:20:55 PM   
Zoltar DEXTER

UV is definitly the best wargame for years.

I have no souvenir of a naval computer wargame of this quality since harpoon.

The game is at the image of this moment in history:
Intense, full of incertitude, but so captivating...

No to be missed.

Also the best game for beginnners in wargaming. You will never regret your time investment and will be rewarded from the very beginning.

And do not be mistaken, if the fanatics are so prompt to find bugs, it is because they love this game and want it to be even greater. Thanks to their input and to the developpers' professionalism, the small imperfections are fewer and fewer.

[COLOR=red] [B]CONCLUSION: DO NOT MISS THIS WONDERFUL GAME ! ! ![/B] [/COLOR]

Post #: 40
- 9/20/2002 6:14:32 AM   
jive1

I'm sitting here waiting for somebody to reply to one of my deep and insightful posts so I can reply in my drunk and insightful manor and create my 50th posting. Then I remembered this thread and thought I should try and add my 2p.

There are many different games that excite you in many different ways.

Dark Age of Camelot for it's online camaraderie.

Napoleon in Russia for it's pageantry and colour.

Combat Mission for the sheer fun of playing with real toy soldiers.

And Uncommon Valour for the ultimate in air punching moments when your hardware connects with the armoured hull of a 36,000 ton enemy carrier.

O yeah baby count me in - I'm coming back for more!

So drink to the Black Cat PBY, damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft, Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Post #: 41
- 9/20/2002 11:40:42 AM   
angus

UV is a really great game, but that's not the only reason I'm really happy I bought it. First, the support is really good. Very few companies (Paradox being the other I can think of) would have done so much work on the game after it's release. Second, the game is really stable. And game software isn't famous for that. I have a fairly bizarre W2K setup and always have lots of weird stuff running in the background, but I've never had UV crash out on me. Even on the couple of occasions that it's stopped working properly, I've been able to save cleanly before killing it. Even MS apps aren't always so well-behaved. Great game, good support, doesn't crash and burn. What more could you ask for ?

Count me as one very satisfied punter. I'd recommend UV to anyone who likes a challenging and realistic wargame.

Post #: 42
newbie looking to purchase - 9/23/2002 9:41:56 AM   
marc420

Hi ya'll,

I came here to look around a bit before I decided to buy this game. I thought I like what I saw from the UV Website, but I've been burned on games before, so checking out the forums is something I usually do before buying.

I didn't look how old this thread is, but I didn't see anything in here that would make me hesitate to buy this game.

I read through some of the bug forum, and didn't see any biggies people were hollaring about.

I've always like Gary Grigsby's Pacific War game. So reading through the section on Strategy pretty much convincec me that this game was in many way similar. Much improved from years more experience I'm sure. But when I was reading about the player who's Jap planes always bomb TF's at Port Moseby when set on Naval attack, I laughed because that was true way back in PW as well.

I do wish there was a demo. In this case, it would have had to have been really bad to convince me not to buy UV. But like I've said, I've been burned by enough bad computer games over the years that downloading a demo and checking it out is on my checklist of things to do before I fork over $60.

A couple of comments that I've seen elsewhere that I'd like to second.

Hey guys, when you pay $60 for a game, a printed manual should be in there. Maybe not a complete strategy guide for every detail on the game. But its nice to have a manual printed that you can use as a reference while playing the game. If I print it myself, it will never last long. After a few weeks its either torn up or its in my way or its come out of its homemade binding and made a mess.

Somewhere on one of the forums, I saw somebody suggesting that if you used USPS Priority Mail, you could probably offer a cheaper shipping service than the expensive UPS rates.

Anyways, thanks for making this game. If anyone is looking for this, at this point I don't have my copy yet, but if my past history with Gary Grigsby games and his old Pacific War game is any guide at all, then I expect to be massively entertained by this game.

Post #: 43
- 10/12/2002 1:54:14 PM   
Von Rom

This is a brilliant game. Highly addictive. The strategy is unlimited, and it is highly detailed in layers of information, units, and action.

In just the first three months (in game time) of the main campaign (scenario #17), I have been involved in sweeping carrier battles (8 carriers lost); great naval battles (some involving up to 40 warships including battleships, cruisers, etc); massive bombing operations of Lunga, Port Morseby, etc (often including 120 fighters and bombers at one time); submarine convoy attacks; and vicious hand-to-hand fighting, as the marines fought desperately to re-take Guadalcanal. . .

This game has it all and more. Just when I thought the AI couldn't throw anything more at me, it would launch another well co-ordinated attack.

Currently, the Japanese AI is pulling out all the stops. It has destroyed my surface fleet at Port Morseby, and is conducting on-going air and naval strikes on my port and land forces there. The Japanese have staged several attempts to invade Port Morseby, only to be driven back by my determined air and submarine attacks.

Morale is dropping. . .

During the on-going battles around Port Morseby, I gave orders for several US submarines to attack Japanese naval task forces (that included battleships and heavy cruisers). Several of these subs have been destroyed; others have limped back to Port Morseby for repairs. But still I order them to attack. . .

My air forces at Port Morseby have attacked without let up for almost two months. They are battered, tired, worn out. But still, I order them to attack. . .

There has been an on-going land battle at Gili Gili between the Aussies and Japanese for control of that base. Both sides have been attempting to land more troops and supplies at this location with the resulting clash of surface fleets and airpower.

I have ordered all forces here to continue to attack. . .

Elsewhere, a great naval battle involving 28 warships (including 10 CAs) took place off Guadalcanal. Both fleets retired with many ships sunk and battered.

Shortly after this the Japanese maneuvered north of Tulagi with no lesss than 3 separate Aircraft Carrier Battlegroups (with 5 carriers in total). The Japanese then proceeded to pummel my land and naval forces at Tulagi and Irau, forcing me to withdraw all naval forces to Luganville, except for a couple of submarines.

Faced with over 2:1 odds in carriers, I have withdrawn the carriers Hornet and Enterprise to Luganville. I'm currently building up this base to stage a major attack on Japanese forces.

I have been moving convoys of fuel, supplies and troops to Luganville.

I'm hoping for more reinforcements in CAs, Carriers and destroyers.

In only three months this theatre has taken a frightful toll in ships, planes and men. . .

I play very aggressively. My forces have taken quite a hit, but so have the Japanese. Many of their ships have been sent back to Truk for repairs including several carriers, battleships and CAs. Many of their troop transports and other ships now lie at the bottom of the wide expanse of ocean that stretches from Rabaul to Tulagi, and from Lae to Port Morseby.

All this after only three months. And I still have 17 months to go in the game. Oh, the humanity. . .

The situation has become desperate. . .

Therefore, I plan to attack. . .

Playing UV, more than most books I have read about the Pacific War, has done more to help me to understand the sheer scope and titanic struggle of this theatre of war. It's like living a part of history. It becomes very personal; you really get caught up in the action.

And I have never seen an AI this well programmed in a game before. It has sent land, air, and sea forces to all areas within this theatre of the Pacific, where it has staged surface battles, shore bombardments, carrier strikes, air attacks (on land and sea), amphibious landings, and submarine attacks. And it continues to supply its forces with a well-planned convoy system. At the beginning I didn't respect it; now I do. . .

My only regret is I should have bought this game sooner. . .

Playing UV has now made me anxiously look forward to War in The Pacific.

Cheers!

Post #: 44
Best wargame ever - 10/14/2002 3:49:40 AM   
bilbow

Time to add my 2 cents.

I've been playing wagames since the late sixties (I know, I'm dating myself), both board and, in recent years, computer. I loved PW but the hardware limitations of the day really detracted from the game. So now comes UV. I've been playing almost every day since May, until recently against the AI. Now I've started two PBEM games and there's a whole new world of strategy to explore.

Normally by now any game has gotten stale, but with UV not so. I will be playing everyday at least all winter, probably beyond.

Quite simply, UV is the best game of any kind I've played in 30 years.

:D :D :D
Bill

Post #: 45
Seconded - 10/16/2002 12:48:28 AM   
mbatch729

It is a great game. BTW Bill, what new strategies are you trying?

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Post #: 46
Re: Seconded - 10/16/2002 9:28:08 AM   
bilbow

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mbatch729
[B]It is a great game. BTW Bill, what new strategies are you trying? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd rather show you than tell you

Bill

Post #: 47
- 10/18/2002 2:07:50 PM   
demonterico

Hi all, As you can see by my number of posts I'm new here. Since this is my first post I guess I'll start out by saying something controversial. After reading the messages posted here universally praising the merits of UV it struck me that UV received the same percentage of yes votes here in this forum, as did Saddam Hussain in his recent bid to be relected as president of Iraq. But then I'm also assuming that anyone who doesn't like UV must not be hanging out in this forum. Which leads to the further assumption that I must like UV. Which I do. I've only been playing a couple of weeks, but I'm hooked already, and I don't even know everything about the game yet. There is definately alot to learn, but I like that. So far I've done Coral sea twice against the AI. I won the first round, and lost the second time.
Its been a kick.
Never the less there are a few things I've found to gripe about although not significant. I imagine most of this is old news so please forgive any redundancy. First I should say I'm kind of cheap and have never paid $60 for a game before. Most of my game purchases are off the disscount shelves. So I was definately disapointed when UV came without a manual. But I printed it out went to Office Depot got some 3 hole slip covers and now I have a manual. A hard copy of the map would be nice as well. I've always found it helpfull to have a good map to study. Having a map would also help my wife to understand why I've covered half the walls in our house with corkboard. I would also like it if the map on the computer screen would zoom out further so that I could see the entire map on the screen at on time. I was also disappointed by the size of the ships graphics. When I first went in to look at the ships I thought the small picture was a thumbnail but when I clicked on it nothing happened. Its just a tiny pcture of the ship. I'm not a programer so I don't know, but would it require alot of code to provide such a feature. I love to look at my ships, but I sure wish I could enlarge the picture to full screen. A couple of items I know have been mentioned before are the small buttons and all the clicking back. Another repeat complaint is the messages and reports received during a turn are not retrievable. I play some Close Combat and throughout the game reports and other information are issued in a fashion simular to UV. The difference being CC puts arrows and a slider on the report box and the player can scroll through the entire set of reports any time during the game or after. Another repeat I have is that some information from the game should be printable. There is a huge amount of information to keep tract of and some hard copies of this info would be very helpfull. The last thing I'm having trouble with is endurance. I can't see where the game tells me if the ship is loaded with fuel or not. Its nice to know how far a ship can move, but I also want to know if the tanks are full, empty, or somewhere in between. Just like the gas gauge on the old Ford pickup. As I said minor stuff. None of it will dampen my spirit for playing this game, and I'm already waiting for WitP. My god that will be a monster! I'm also looking forward to EinA. WWII Pacific and Napoleonic Wars are my two favorite eras. Great job Matrix.

The world has never seen a more impressive demonstration of the influence of sea power upon history. Those far distant, storm-beaten ships, upon which the Grand Army never looked, stood between it and the dominion of the world. -- Alfred Thayer Mahan

Post #: 48
- 10/20/2002 4:43:23 AM   
Joel Billings

There is a file that shows the entire map which you can access from the Start list of programs (it's called Map Guide). You can then probably print it out.

As for fuel, it's listed on the individual ship screen, and IIRC that screen shows both the max fuel capacity and the actual fuel being carried.

Glad you are enjoying the game.

Post #: 49
- 10/20/2002 1:04:19 PM   
demonterico

Joel, Thanks for taking time to help me. I found the map guide in the start menu, but I'm still stuck on fuel. I see on the ship screen where it says fuel. It gives a number. But what does that number tell me? Also what is an IIRC and where do I find it? I'm afraid that sometimes I'm a little slow with this computer stuff, so I really appreciate the help your providing.
Thanks Dave

The world has never seen a more impressive demonstration of the influence of sea power upon history. Those far distant, storm-beaten ships, upon which the Grand Army never looked, stood between it and the dominion of the world. -- Alfred Thayer Mahan

Post #: 50
- 10/21/2002 6:39:52 AM   
Joel Billings

IIRC stands for "if I recall". And the fuel was just because you said you wanted to know how full the ship's fuel was and I thought the ship screen lists both capacity and actual (maybe you have to look at the ship class data to see the capacity). The best thing is to just keep an eye on the endurace number. You'll get used to what's normal here (DD's 4-6000, CA's 6-12000, BB's 6-10000, with Japanese usually less than Allied).

Joel

Post #: 51
- 10/21/2002 8:50:40 AM   
bilbow

Thanks Joel. I too couldn't figure out what IIRC meant and was too chicken to ask.

Bill

Post #: 52
- 10/21/2002 12:23:06 PM   
demonterico

Thanks again Joel

Post #: 53
Re: A Little Good News - 10/30/2002 12:49:34 AM   
churruca

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]...

If you are enjoying the game its important that your fellow gamers and they read it here. We once again thank you for your support.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

Dear David & UV Friends,

I've bought this game on September. At first it was hard to see that somethings happens without I can undestand exactly the reason. Its simple! I haven't read the manual yet. But, when I read it and play looking those things I read and understanding more & more the game....I have only one problem, that I have to go bed and go to work every day thinking about UV. (I read the manual and I dream about creating PT boats i.e.) :)

Great game! Much better than Pacific War. I think the new Pacific War will be greater.

Thanks for read.

"Recuerdo cuando el Sol no se ponía en nuestro imperio!"

Post #: 54
- 10/31/2002 3:03:05 AM   
Feinder

Demonterico,

There is a number in the upper left of your TF screen that indicates the total number of hexes that your TF can move with present fuel levels (so this number decreases every turn as you expend fuel). The number is green if you have enough fuel to reach your destination hex and enough fuel to return to your home port. If you don't have enough fuel to get to your destination and return to your designated home port, the number is in red (in which case at some point you'll be running on fumes and be forced to 1 hex per turn).

-F-

Post #: 55
2.0 - 11/9/2002 12:40:58 AM   
mogami

Hi, the newest update should really set them on their ear.
I just started playing this game in May I expect to grow tired of it by June (2022)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 56
- 11/9/2002 10:08:39 AM   
demonterico

Feinder
Just saw your post. Thanks for helping out. Now I have a new problem. This game is so deep I'm finding it difficult to find the time to play. There so much going on that I can't just sit down for a few minutes and fool around with it. Playing UV takes serious commitment!!! Think my wife would be upset if I quit my job? Anyway thanks again for helping out, I appreciate it.
Dave

Post #: 57
this is a great game that...... - 11/29/2002 10:36:52 AM   
Karrick

keeps getting better.....the support from the guys at matrix is unbelievable.....I have been playing the game since it first came out..(its still my favorite)....if UV is this good...cant wait for its big brother...WITP.

Karrick

Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> What a game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI