Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice for Leningrad

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Advice for Leningrad Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice for Leningrad - 12/21/2010 1:09:21 AM   
Jaypea

Hello everyone,

Playing the grand campaign as German in 1941 and at a little bit of a loss on how to overcome 3000+CV in the Leningrad hex (south of the river). With the max six divisions (2 hexes south of it) and some reserves nearby, I can muster maybe 800 -900 CV for the Germans, but thats not even close to take the city. I assume I need to take this before crossing the river. Also, is it possible to remove all supply from Leningrad? Do i need to just clear all the coastal hexes or is there always some supply available?

All your help is appreciated!

JP
Post #: 1
RE: Advice for Leningrad - 12/21/2010 1:13:38 AM   
Walloc

If u press the factory icon on the map menu. U can see 3 red hexes along the Lagoda lake. They hold ports. Take those, in effect linking up with the fins at the Svir river and u will cut supply to Leningrad. Very easy to take after that.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to Jaypea)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice for Leningrad - 12/21/2010 1:23:43 AM   
mephistofileez

I don't think you even have to take all three of those little towns/ports. I surrounded Leningrad from the south, took the one port on the Svir (allowing the Finns to cross and garrison it), and the next turn all SU units were isolated. From there it's just a matter of wading through the bodies.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice for Leningrad - 12/21/2010 1:44:47 AM   
Jaypea

Much thanks, I haven't captured all the Baltic sea ports, so I still need to do that also?   OR just the lake lagoda ports?

(in reply to mephistofileez)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice for Leningrad - 12/21/2010 1:52:37 AM   
Walloc

As long as they arent connected to a supply source i dont think u need to take the Baltic ports. Im not 100% sure tho.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to Jaypea)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice for Leningrad - 12/21/2010 1:14:02 PM   
ComradeP

You don't need the ports per say, you can also isolate Leningrad by capturing territory by, say, capturing the hexes between Novgorod and the Svir river, so that all the ports on Lake Lagoda and Leningrad itself are west of territory you control and thus out of supply as there's no land link between the Leningrad area and the rest of the Soviet Union in that case.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 6
RE: Advice for Leningrad - 12/21/2010 8:49:33 PM   
Klydon

Cracking Leningrad needs some good advanced planning. I just got done playing the scenario myself. To crack Leningrad, it takes 3 good corps of infantry. (Each Corps had 3 infantry divs plus support). I attached these to the 18th Army I think. Make sure your corps commanders have really good infantry ratings. I cleaned out a lot of the engineer/heavy artillery units from the other infantry army and loaded up those three corps. You need another corps to support the panzers east of Leningrad trying to cut the supplies to Leningrad. I attached that one to 4th Panzer group. (They had the two panzer corps and a infantry corps). The other infantry army was to the south. Two would be better. I also moved up my air units to be fairly close to the city. I made max effort regular attacks from 2-3 hexes and usually could move the defenders out. I played around with making more than 1 attack a turn, but its not really worth it to be honest. Let your troops rest and recover after their one attack. You will need another division broken down to occupy city hexes as you grind in.

It worked well for me, although Model was KIA.

After Leningrad got cleaned out and the Finns got released, it was ugly as those three German infantry corps plus 2 corps of Finns moved for the front lines.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Advice for Leningrad Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI