Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moving Leader Location

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Moving Leader Location Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving Leader Location - 12/15/2000 1:18:00 AM   
Striker

Is there a way for a unit leader of an AFV unit to "jump track" if the command track is destroyed? The best I have found that I can do is load his crew on the outside of one of the other vehicles, of course every time they get shot at, he jumps off. If not available, maybe in the next version, a way to "trasfer" leadership to another unit if it is impracticle from a programming standpoint to move the leader into another vehicle. Make is expensive (in order points) and only available when command and control is on. If costs three to change an objective, is should cost the same or maybe four to transfer leadership.

Post #: 1
- 12/15/2000 7:05:00 AM   
Raindem

My understanding was that if the "0" leader unit gets KIA, then command is automatically transferred to the next unit, i.e. the "1" unit of that formation. Does anyone know anything different?

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to Striker)
Post #: 2
- 12/15/2000 10:19:00 AM   
Bonzo

I think that what Striker is concerned with is that with high mobility units (Tanks, armoured cars, etc.) when playing with command & control on, you have a hard choice to make if your '0' unit winds up on foot, but not dead. If you proceed without him, you wind up out of contact & immobile. If you load him on the outside of a tank, you risk losing him when fired upon (not good in a campaign), or he gets so suppressed that he won't load, again immobilizing you, as you can't leave him behind. So, what is the answer?? How should he proceed?

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Striker)
Post #: 3
- 12/15/2000 10:28:00 AM   
Flashfyre

Good question, Bonzo. I don't play with C&C much, because I hate not having my troops listen to me. Let me ask this....if the "0" unit vehicle is destroyed/abandoned, and the crew survives, what does the orders stat say? What unit is now providing orders? The few times I used it, some of my units were under their immediate leader's orders ("G" units had G:4 for orders); other times they were under the next higher commander's ("G" units with B:6 orders, indicating company CO). At times, even, they were taking orders direct from A0. And, most of the time the were taking orders from noone. SO, if the vehicle gets knocked out and the crew bail, do they still count as leaders? Or does command automatically pass to next highest leader, regardless? ------------------ The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@cvn.net[/email]

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Striker)
Post #: 4
- 12/16/2000 1:48:00 AM   
Striker

quote:

Originally posted by Flashfyre: SO, if the vehicle gets knocked out and the crew bail, do they still count as leaders? Or does command automatically pass to next highest leader, regardless?
As long as the "0" unit is still alive, the program considers him the leader, regardless of the current status of his vehicle. He still receives orders as if he were in his vehicle, but without the vehicle, he is more likely to be supressed and hence not having any orders to issue. I would just like it for a way for my valiant platoon leader to say "Sarge, take the radio and carry on without me, I'm heading to the rear to look for a new ride"

(in reply to Striker)
Post #: 5
- 12/16/2000 6:14:00 AM   
JR

quote:

Originally posted by Striker: [QUOTE]Originally posted by Flashfyre: SO, if the vehicle gets knocked out and the crew bail, do they still count as leaders? Or does command automatically pass to next highest leader, regardless?
As long as the "0" unit is still alive, the program considers him the leader, regardless of the current status of his vehicle. He still receives orders as if he were in his vehicle, but without the vehicle, he is more likely to be supressed and hence not having any orders to issue. I would just like it for a way for my valiant platoon leader to say "Sarge, take the radio and carry on without me, I'm heading to the rear to look for a new ride" [/B][/QUOTE] What happens if the surving crew from a x0 unit exits map? Does anyone know that?

(in reply to Striker)
Post #: 6
- 12/16/2000 10:16:00 AM   
Bonzo

He'll still be giving orders, probably During the "Watchword Freedom" campaign there is a "raid" scenario on a collective farm, go in, grab the v-hexes then get every one you can off the board. As I had 6 squads of Special Ops in my core, I left the rest of my core, including 3 SP mortars by the exit hexes & let the commandos take the objectives. I fire support from the SP mortars even after ther exited the map. Never did get any of the commandos off the board, but only lost 1 squad. A lot of luck & a lot more smoke & I managed to hide my squads. I would expect that he would still have orders, but if anyone in the squad doesn't have (or loses) a radio, they'll be out of contact & stalled when using C&C. ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://nwbattalion.tripod.com Mirror http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com E-mail [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Striker)
Post #: 7
- 12/17/2000 10:11:00 PM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Raindem: My understanding was that if the "0" leader unit gets KIA, then command is automatically transferred to the next unit, i.e. the "1" unit of that formation. Does anyone know anything different?
If the "0" unit is killed, command passes to the next highest ranking leader in the formation. For example: if the leader of the "1" unit is a Corporal and the leader of the "2" unit is a Sergeant, command will pass to the "2" unit. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Striker)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Moving Leader Location Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI