Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Uncommon Valor v.1.40 online!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Uncommon Valor v.1.40 online! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Uncommon Valor v.1.40 online! - 8/30/2002 9:56:47 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

The official Uncommon Valor 1.40 Patch is now online! You can grab it using our True Update feature or directly from the downloads section.
Please note that all future support questions and responses will depend on you having this patch installed properly first.

1. In your Uncommon Valor program folder, find the icon labeled "True Update". Left click on it.

2. Click on next to check for a new patch. It will find the patch, although it will not report a size. Don't worry, go ahead and download the patch.

3. When the download is finished, the patch will open an installer in its own windows. If you installed UV in the default directory, you can just keep clicking next until everything is updated. Otherwise, point it to the directory you installed UV in, then let it install the patch.

4. Close things up when you're done. If you installed the patch correctly, running True Update again will tell you that there are no newer versions of UV available than the one you now have.

5. Run UV 1.40 and enjoy!

A full list of the patch changes can be found in a new UV Changes in "UV Patch History" PDF file in your UV program folder post-patch. This can also be found in your main UV directory. For your convenience, the list for this patch is reproduced in full below.

Patch Items for Uncommon Valor version 1.40

1) Destroyers should now be more involved in surface combat.

2) Transports should now be more forthcoming as reinforcements for the human player.

3) Moving the mouse over enemy bases during the execution phase or replay should no longer show detailed information about enemy troops, air bases or naval bases.

4) Creating a task force by transferring all ships out of another and then back into the original task force should no longer make the ships transferred to the new task force, the creation of which was aborted, disappear and reappear when a task force with the same name is created, some where else.

5) The fuel listing on the upper left hand side of the task force screen was listed in red, if no destination was assigned, using the logic that since the required fuel was unknown, it could be excessive. This has been changed. The fuel level is now listed in green, if no destination is assigned, under the assumption that going no where will take very little fuel.

6) Using the move all command for ground units at Charter Towers (or any primary or secondary airfield) no longer results in the base moving.

7) The artificial intelligence no longer is sending damaged submarines on patrol and then recalling them a turn or two later end an endless cycle.

8) Players may now order task forces loading troops to not load supply, by choosing “Load troops only” orders instead of “load troops”.

9) Players may now load friendly troops who are at an enemy controlled location using normal transport task forces as well as fast transport. This is useful for evacuating troops in a failed invasion. These task forces use the over the beach loading rate. The option to load only troops must be selected, as supply may not be loaded

10) The combat reports option will now turn off the combat.

11) Now, turning off the combat summaries by pressing the “F8” key should no longer turn off the combat reports. This will allow the player to avoid having to watch the combat resolution and close all the combat summary boxes. He may now go eat or visit with a loved one (you know you should) and come back later, read the combat reports and know what happened during the turn.

12) Air groups on aircraft carriers with more than 50% system or flood damage no longer receive replacement aircraft, even though flight operations are not possible.

13) The ship class name has been added to the individual ship screen, following the ship’s name. Also, now right clicking on a ship name in the Form/Transfer TF display will cause a line of information about the ship (including class) to appear at the bottom of the list of ships). When transferring ships from one task force to another or from a base to a task force or when creating a task force, right clicking a ship name in the upper pop-out box will now display data about the ship in the center of the screen. This data includes the ship name, ship class name, the gun size of the main battery, the number of torpedo tubes, the number of anti-submarine devices and the relative anti-aircraft strength of the ship. Note that the anti-aircraft value listed is not used in the combat routines and is meaningful only in relation to the values of other ships. It is calculated by multiplying the number of each type anti-aircraft or dual-purpose gun by the general effectiveness value of that gun. In the actual combat routines, the aircraft altitude, bearing from the gun, speed and other factors are considered. If the gun has an arc of fire that can hit the aircraft and is not otherwise occupied, it will then fire. The relative anti-aircraft strength of the ship is now listed in the ship display screen, next to the maneuver value.

14) In automatic supply task forces and routine task forces assigned a specific base, any tankers in the task force will now carry fuel. If there are only tankers in the task force, they will load, carry and unload fuel. Note that in cases of tanker only task forces, the automatic supply routine choosing the base to carry fuel to will choose one that needs supply. This is because it has less than no idea what the long range staging planes of the player are and assumes that the bases needing supply, probably need fuel too. Also, note that only one routine supply task force may be assigned to a specific base. Assigning more will cause all but one to abort the mission.

15) If a base has a road connection with Brisbane that is clear of enemy troops, it will receive up to 5000 supply points per turn.

16) The change in a Base Force’s expected full strength level discussed in Section 19.8 in the manual only applies to Base Forces controlled by the computer player. Human player Base Forces will not have their expected full strength level change.

17) The northeast hexside of hex 27,32 had been changed from water to land, thus eliminating the mistaken water path through the middle of Bougainville.

Also note : Included in this patch is the ship data to correct the data that was sent out by mistake in 1.30. Also included are some corrections to the aircraft graphics.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org
Post #: 1
- 8/31/2002 12:37:22 AM   
David Heath

Once you guys get a chance let us know what you think.... thanks again for supporting us and the hobby.

David

(in reply to Ross Moorhouse)
Post #: 2
- 8/31/2002 12:48:41 AM   
thantis

The level of support for UV from the staff has been unbelievable. The care taken to listen to and participate in discussions on how to make the game better & make changes/fixes to make the game better has made me a customer for life.

My hat's off to all of you - congratulations for creating a classic!!!

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon.....

Post #: 3
- 8/31/2002 12:55:01 AM   
Grouchy

ahaa, this was a pleasant surprise when I logged in to check the forums. I expected it, but not so soon and just when the weekend started :)

Post #: 4
- 8/31/2002 1:24:03 AM   
PRchrdsn

Let me add that I WILL be a return customer because of the support shown by the Matrix and 2by3 staffs! I am all alone with my computer this weekend, as the wife and kids have gone north for the entire time. Let the bombs fall!:cool:

Post #: 5
- 8/31/2002 1:32:50 AM   
DougAngle

As always, THANKS! Your support is incredible. Bring on WITP!

Post #: 6
- 8/31/2002 2:34:34 AM   
HMSWarspite

Thanks. This is way beyond bug fixing, loads of new features. Thank you, and don't pay any attention to the 'until you change the warhead of the Browning 9mm pistol by 4% the game is broken' whingers (Pom or otherwise).

BTW the worst whinger I know is an Aussie. Mind you, she lives in UK, and 90% of the complaints are about the weather!:)

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Post #: 7
After one game ... - 8/31/2002 3:57:33 AM   
DSandberg

I've only run one game with 1.40 so far (vs. the AI).

I like the ship class info in the Form/Transfer TF display ... thanks for following up on that request so quickly! (I really didn't anticipate getting that feature in UV ... a pleasant surprise!)

On the whole the one game seemed to go pretty good. The only thing that concerned me is that now I seem to be seeing quite a lot of "false" attack animations, where the black smoke and small fireball of a bomb hit seems to appear on a ship, but no hit is mentioned in the text messages and (apparently) no damage occurs. I don't recall seeing that before. I'll wait to see what happens in subsequent games (or if other people report the same sort of thing).

Also, it still appears that the AI is sending its transports into harm's way without adequate caution or protection. But since no fix for that was mentioned in the patch readme, I'm guessing that AI fix didn't make it into this patch?

Thanks for the continuing efforts to improve our UV experiences!

David

"... planning and preparations were made with great efforts with this day as a goal. Before this target day came, however, the tables had been turned around entirely and we are now forced to do our utmost to cope with the worst. Thi

Post #: 8
Response... - 8/31/2002 4:33:56 AM   
Erik Rutins

DSandberg,

Those are called "duds". :) They've been around since before 1.00. You may just be looking more carefully now.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
Re: Response... - 8/31/2002 4:50:47 AM   
DSandberg

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Rutins
[B]Those are called "duds". :) They've been around since before 1.00. You may just be looking more carefully now.[/B][/QUOTE]

No kidding? Hey, that's actually pretty cool. :) You're probably right about me just not having noticed them before, although I would have guessed I had been paying better attention than that. :)

Thanks again ... David

"... planning and preparations were made with great efforts with this day as a goal. Before this target day came, however, the tables had been turned around entirely and we are now forced to do our utmost to cope with the worst. Thi

Post #: 10
- 8/31/2002 10:59:53 AM   
CommC

Wow! Great patch! Thanks for the excellent support. :)

Post #: 11
- 8/31/2002 3:12:48 PM   
Pkunzipper

Really thanks!

UV come out with a good numbers of bugs (even if it worked fine) as the 95% of the games, then Matrix and 2by3 gave us 5(:eek: ) patches in 4 months (as the 1% of the software house does).

I think this is the best reply and the last word in the thread "UV:a dead end?"

REALLY GREAT WORK ;) AND MANY THANKS :)

Post #: 12
Re: Response... - 8/31/2002 3:19:32 PM   
Pkunzipper

[B]DSandberg,

Those are called "duds". :) They've been around since before 1.00. You may just be looking more carefully now.

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]

YES finally!!!
I supposed it in a thread some time ago, but no one trusted me...(It was terrible :) )!

But why duds torpedoes "pluff" doesn't appears during Subs attacks?

****, I think to been gone out of topic...:p

Post #: 13
- 9/1/2002 11:47:28 AM   
HARD_SARGE

Well must say, you guys have really made a great game, better

started the scen 14 again, and must say it was looking bleak for a while, air to air combat looks great now, naval combat seeing a lot more missed shots (LOL seen a DD latch onto a BB and it wouldn't let go, too bad all them shots bounced)

as the Allied, the Wasp is already back in PH, the Enterprise is makeing the trip back in a few days, and the other two have light damage ! (but, 3 JP CV's and 2 CVL's are sunk, as is one of the 2 BB that been hitting Lunga)

really like the changes that have been made to the game

can't wait to see some of the other games that are comeing down the road, very HARD to believe you can top this one

HARD_Sarge

the crosshairs for the sub is really sweet

Post #: 14
Download in middle of game? - 9/1/2002 9:14:36 PM   
Forrest37

Can I download the new patch and continue playing ,y current game, or do I need to start over? Thanks...Bill.

While not disgruntled he was far from gruntled....

Post #: 15
- 9/2/2002 8:42:56 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

Downlood and keep going should be ok .

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 16
- 9/2/2002 11:04:48 AM   
designer1

Hi

I'm a newbie, anxiously awaiting UPS delivery of the game on Tuesday - bad timing, eh?

Does the 1.4 patch correct the problem with no AA armament on some Allied ships that was mentioned in some other posts here? I would just like to know before I begin playing.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Post #: 17
- 9/2/2002 11:45:47 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]Once you guys get a chance let us know what you think.... thanks again for supporting us and the hobby.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

David, you people are just unbelievable. This patch obviously was developed and examined closely as the last of the "early release" patches, and it shows. The rough edges are smooth, the aberrations are gone, and the game is wonderful. My 45 bucks (yah, I pre-ordered and got the discount way back in - what was it? 1837?)

Your responsiveness to the customer base is unprecedented and unparallelled in computer gaming. Matrix and 2by3 have shown that they can objectively evaluate their own product, separate the "wheat from the chaff" in customer commentary (and I have been chaff rather than wheat once or twice myself), and improve what is already the "state of the art."

My hat is off to you (and I don't mean like in the final scene from "Full Monty"). This is what I have been looking for ever since I first started playing Grigsby's earliest efforts like "Carrier Force" and "War in the South Pacific."

I love you, man. But could ya simulate me one of these?

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 18
- 9/2/2002 2:07:30 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by designer1
[B]Does the 1.4 patch correct the problem with no AA armament on some Allied ships that was mentioned in some other posts here? I would just like to know before I begin playing.[/B][/QUOTE]Yes.

Post #: 19
Thanks! That's Great! - 9/2/2002 7:18:04 PM   
designer1

Thanks for the reply! That's great news.

Post #: 20
- 9/2/2002 9:34:39 PM   
Finnegan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by designer1
[B]Hi

I'm a newbie, anxiously awaiting UPS delivery of the game on Tuesday - bad timing, eh?

Does the 1.4 patch correct the problem with no AA armament on some Allied ships that was mentioned in some other posts here? I would just like to know before I begin playing.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to this game. [/B][/QUOTE]

No. As soon as the cruisers show up from Pearl, the AA disappears. Again.

Post #: 21
- 9/2/2002 11:44:23 PM   
HARD_SARGE

Hi Guys
thanks for all the good work and all, and not to gripe, but... :)

do you think you could set the create TF so they pick a leader from the ships, instead of grabbing one of the Adm's, every time I make a Transport TF, I got to check to make sure my top combat commander is not the commander of the transports (other night I made 5 TF's and each one picked the same guy to be the commander (which if I had been smart, I would of left him in charge until I had all of them done, and then changed him one time instead of 5)

which this way, the TF will have a commander from one of the ships placed in charge and if we want somebody else, then we can change it, instead of haveing to change it each time

oh by the way, any chance on getting some of these commanders to gain rank ?, I got one guy who has won 5 night actions so far (not to count the AG/AP raids he has won) (twice he has driven off a BB TF while he only had a few CA's and DD's, would like to see him get a MOH and a Ship Class named after him)

keep up the great work

HARD_Sarge

Post #: 22
Response... - 9/3/2002 3:37:52 AM   
Erik Rutins

Finnegan,

It actually does fix the problem. However, the problem exists in games started with 1.30. Continuing these games with 1.40 will not fix the problem. You have to have started a game with any version other than 1.30 to have the problem disappear - 1.40 is your best bet because of additional new features and fixes.

If it's not working for you, the patch may not have been applied correctly, particularly with respect to the data files. I would try re-patching, then if necessary uninstalling/reinstalling and re-patching, making sure that the right directory is being chosen for the patch process.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 23
- 9/3/2002 5:24:37 AM   
Finnegan

Hello Eric.

I started a new game with 1.4 applied, however, it was a modified Scenario 17 that I had created while waiting for 1.4 to be released. When the cruisers arrived from Pearl, the AA went missing as it did with 1.3. Could the problem be with user scenarios that were made prior to 1.4?

I don't really understand what you mean by the patch not being applied correctly with regard to the data files, as the new bells and whistles are all there, but I'll try re-installing the game and the patches via true update and let you know how it all works within the next few days.

Regards,
F.

Post #: 24
- 9/3/2002 9:39:44 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Finnegan
[B]Hello Eric.

I started a new game with 1.4 applied, however, it was a modified Scenario 17 that I had created while waiting for 1.4 to be released. When the cruisers arrived from Pearl, the AA went missing as it did with 1.3. Could the problem be with user scenarios that were made prior to 1.4? I believe so. I'm thinking that if you created it before v1.40, then the datafiles it used were v1.30 which is where that problem was.

quote:

I don't really understand what you mean by the patch not being applied correctly with regard to the data files, as the new bells and whistles are all there, but I'll try re-installing the game and the patches via true update and let you know how it all works within the next few days.[/B][/QUOTE]If you have installed the game anywhere but the default position, then you have to remember to change it while patching. If you don't the patch goes on to C:]Matrix Games\Uncommon Valor, instead of where you installed it. This, I think, is what he meant.

(I've done this at least once, myself -- going too quick. :D)

Post #: 25
- 9/3/2002 9:54:01 PM   
Finnegan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rowlf
[B]I believe so. I'm thinking that if you created it before v1.40, then the datafiles it used were v1.30 which is where that problem was. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hello Rowlf.

I'm going to give it another go with a newly created Scenario 17 variant and see if that works. Re-installed the game and the patches so it will be from a clean slate.

I had the good sense to save your your excellent art work first!

:D

Love what you did with the IJN cruisers and certainly look forward to your work. It is much appreciated by the community here.

Regards,

F.

Post #: 26
Re: Uncommon Valor v.1.40 online! - 9/3/2002 11:56:58 PM   
sekullbe

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ross Moorhouse
[B]
13) The ship class name has been added to the individual ship screen, following the ship’s name. Also, now right clicking on a ship name in the Form/Transfer TF display will cause a line of information about the ship (including class) to appear at the bottom of the list of ships). value.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! This is a real help and exactly what I was looking for.

Post #: 27
Just to set the record straight - 9/5/2002 10:33:40 PM   
Finnegan

[B]If it's not working for you, the patch may not have been applied correctly, particularly with respect to the data files. I would try re-patching, then if necessary uninstalling/reinstalling and re-patching, making sure that the right directory is being chosen for the patch process.[/B][/QUOTE]

Hello Erik.

I have taken your good advice and re-installed the game and the patches via True Update. I have played two months in a newly created and modified Scenario 17, and everything is working exactly as advertised. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. What a great game!!

(Made better by the fact that Beauforts from Gili Gili have put 7 torpedoes into the Yamato and put her under.)

:D

Thanks again.

F.

Post #: 28
- 9/8/2002 2:17:21 AM   
rtrapasso

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]Once you guys get a chance let us know what you think.... thanks again for supporting us and the hobby.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

I am not sure where I should post this, but since you are with Matrix, I thought I could ask you....

Some years ago, I find a remaindered disk of obsolete DOS games (so I could get it really cheap) called WAR AT SEA by Quantum Quality Productions. On it were three games - two were not able to be played, or were of no interest. The third was a little gem called WORLD WAR II: BATTLE OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC. I really loved this game, and played it several times solo for the long campaign. I assume Quantum did this game, although I didn't reload the game to check.

Anyway, this game played a lot like UNCOMMON VALOR - same game mechanics in many cases. Same sort of scenarios. It was the only game I had seen that had operational losses. There were mines, too, although that was automatic stuff - you would encounter them at ports, but not sweep or lay them. It had some features not seen in this game, such as weather (which you could look at, try to hide in, etc.) and submarine aircraft. If you scouted a TF, you could get an idea of how badly the ships were damaged, if they were on fire, etc. A really cool game (as is Uncommon Valor). I actually bought UV after reading the blurb that described features similar to WWII:BOSP.
Anyway, I was wondering if Matrix and/or 2x3 Games used to be or had some sort of affiliation with Quantum Quality Productions? I did a search of the forum, and didn't get a hit for "Quantum Quality".

If, as I suspect, this game is "related" to the old DOS game, is there any plan to have the "lost" features of the eventually incoperated into this game.

Bob T.

Post #: 29
- 9/8/2002 2:20:42 AM   
rtrapasso

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rtrapasso
[B]

I am not sure where I should post this, but since you are with Matrix, I thought I could ask you....

[snip]
[/B][/QUOTE]

Whoops, sorry. I actually was trying to reply to a message from Russ Moorhouse, but the lost got posted as a reply to the last person in the chain. Could anyone at Matrix (or anyone, for that matter) reply to my prior post (which should be just above)

Bob T.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Uncommon Valor v.1.40 online! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI