Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seriously thinking...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Seriously thinking... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:35:36 AM   
Footslogger

Is there any advantage in getting the boxed version of both the game and expansion pack? Also, I can only pay by Postal Money Order..
Post #: 1
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:39:14 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Is there any advantage in getting the boxed version of both the game and expansion pack? Also, I can only pay by Postal Money Order..

You have a shiny box!

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:41:28 AM   
Footslogger

You have a shiny box!
[/quote]

OOOOOOH Shinnyy....

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 3
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:43:39 AM   
ASHBERY76

Matrix could fold and you still have the game.

Post #: 4
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:44:38 AM   
Shark7

If you suffer a HD crater (I have) you can reload from the disk in the box, rather than having to redownload the game, or hope you can remember where you backed it up to.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:45:42 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Bite your tongue!!! God for bid the one bright and shining beacon of gaming hope should fail!!

He didn't mean that Matrix....honestly....pay him no mind....

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 6
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:48:34 AM   
Footslogger

So you can't save the download to a disc? What if my computer needs a full reinstall?

Post #: 7
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:49:26 AM   
Igard

It's a nice way of showing your support for an indie developer. It's one thing if you're on a budget, however if you're not bad off, you might as well.

Post #: 8
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:50:15 AM   
Igard

quote:

So you can't save the download to a disc? What if my computer needs a full reinstall?

Of course you can, that's what most people do. Or flash drive.

Post #: 9
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:50:44 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

I have mind backed up in two places....one and external HDD, and then to a flash drive.

I'm need to by some CD's to burn there as well...then I should be covered from a great many angles....I think I will also save it to my dropbox account as well.....

Post #: 10
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:53:41 AM   
Footslogger

Does the game come with a code that only be used once?

Lets say I get a new hard drive...if I remember correctly when I bought WitP, it had a code that would not let me take the game to new computer.

And I have to get this at the best price too....

Whats a drop box account?

< Message edited by Footslogger -- 12/22/2010 1:10:41 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 1:21:11 AM   
Shark7

quote:

Yes you can, but I'm bad about forgetting which one its on (not so bad now that I have a external USB HD to back up to).

I still like having the boxed set...since the serial number is printed on the disk. Another thing I dont' have to worry about losing that way.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 12
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 1:24:06 AM   
Shark7

quote:

Lets say I get a new hard drive...if I remember correctly when I bought WitP, it had a code that would not let me take the game to new computer.

If you have a flash-drive, or a CD burner, etc, the most economical is to simply get the DL, save your Serial number either to a text file or writing it down, and then burn a copy or two to your back up device. If you burn it to a CD, write your serial number on the CD itself. If you save to a flash drive, put it in a folder with the text file with the serial number so they stay together.

I believe Matrix policy is that you can retrieve your serial number and re-download anytime you need to, but is a little more complicated than the two above methods.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 13
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 2:00:05 AM   
Footslogger

Thanks Shark and to all the others

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 14
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 5:31:12 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

I am not plugging for this company or website....but a dropbox is a utility you download from this website that allows you to upload files of yours from one PC to another. It is basically an online version of a flash drive.

I used it at college as an easy way to transfer files from my home pc to the one at school. Very handy. Again though I am not affiliated with those ppl or their website...this is meant only as an explanation and advice.

Edit:

You know...I don't feel comfortable posting the link so I'm removing it. If your curious though...just type the name in Google and I'm sure it will come up.....( I don't wanna be a rule breaker )

[link deleted]

< Message edited by Simulation01 -- 12/22/2010 5:36:42 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 7:00:39 AM   
Solus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01
You know...I don't feel comfortable posting the link so I'm removing it. If your curious though...just type the name in Google and I'm sure it will come up.....( I don't wanna be a rule breaker )

Don't see why you should feel uncomfortable, or what rule you'd be breaking. It's a great, useful service, and you're clearly not trying to sell it. People posting on forums like this is a really good way to stumble across useful sites you might not otherwise hear about. It clearly falls under the category of an "interesting or relevant link to another site" which the rules say is ok, as long as you're not blatantly advertising a product.

I use it to automatically sync saved games between my main PC and my laptop (as well as for work related stuff). It's fantastic.

Post #: 16
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 7:08:05 AM   
forsaken1111

Yeah I don't see what you're so timid about. Dropbox doesn't compete in any way with Matrix Games and it is a fantastic free service. Emphasis on free.

I'll even post my referral link. If you use it you get 250mb of free space. I don't get anything out of it as I already have all the free space from referrals I can get, but its an easy free few MB for you.

Dropbox

(in reply to Solus)
Post #: 17
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 7:13:26 AM   
Shark7

Personally I don't feel comfortable using something that takes info off my computer and stores it in some online data-bank. But that is just me. It's like these new computers that have no hard drive...I won't be buying one, period.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to forsaken1111)
Post #: 18
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 7:19:05 AM   
forsaken1111

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Personally I don't feel comfortable using something that takes info off my computer and stores it in some online data-bank. But that is just me. It's like these new computers that have no hard drive...I won't be buying one, period.

It only takes files that you designate, it's an online backup and synchronization solution. You make it sound like it ransacks your hard drive and takes whatever it wants. I use it to collaborate with clients, because you can drop any file in your 'public' folder and get a direct link to it which you can share with others. This is far superior to any other file sharing system I've ever used. It works with images without mandatory compression or alteration, I can link to a PDF file or even an entire CD image if i need to show off a new product and cannot overnight a CD.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 11:59:30 AM   
wozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

It's a nice way of showing your support for an indie developer. It's one thing if you're on a budget, however if you're not bad off, you might as well.

I agree which is why i purchased both the box and the download. But i also like to have the box. I also would say i am not well off either but i did budget for it so i had the money. I will also buy SR when it is developed a lot better. I would rather show my support to the Indies than the likes of EA, 2K, UBI and the rest of them. One thing about Matrix you don't have to worry about the DRM and that's why i purchased the games.

< Message edited by wozza -- 12/22/2010 12:02:52 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 20
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 12:05:29 PM   
wozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

LOL if Steam folded or Impulse you would not have any games and lose thousands of dollars.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 21
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 6:32:10 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

quote:

It only takes files that you designate, it's an online backup and synchronization solution. You make it sound like it ransacks your hard drive and takes whatever it wants. I use it to collaborate with clients, because you can drop any file in your 'public' folder and get a direct link to it which you can share with others. This is far superior to any other file sharing system I've ever used. It works with images without mandatory compression or alteration, I can link to a PDF file or even an entire CD image if i need to show off a new product and cannot overnight a CD.

Its a trust issue. And I just don't trust it.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 22
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 7:08:15 PM   
forsaken1111

quote:

Its a trust issue. And I just don't trust it.
Fair enough.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 23
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 7:26:00 PM   
nammafia

I need the box for my space strategy collection case. I don't need boxes for other genre.

Post #: 24
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 7:35:12 PM   
forsaken1111

Boxes are overrated.

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 25
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 8:09:54 PM   
nammafia

You mean box is more expensive?!

"Over-rated" is over used. I don't know what the word implies anymore.

"The Manning quarterbacks are over-rated". This I understand.

Post #: 26
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 8:34:53 PM   
forsaken1111

quote:

ORIGINAL: nammafia

Yes. Boxes are more expensive to produce, ship, and shelves.

However that isn't what I meant, obviously.

Although game boxes will probably be worth something as a curiousity sooner or later as many people are moving away from packaged data and brick stores.

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 27
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 8:43:47 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

quote:

Although game boxes will probably be worth something as a curiousity sooner or later as many people are moving away from packaged data and brick stores.

I know....I have mixed emotions about this. I always loved my shiny new boxes. Now, all I will get is cold, hard, code which is dependent on the net ( as some games can only be played with a connection ). I'm all in favor of intellectual property rights, but I think they are going to far with that..IMHO. I like the way DW does it though....besides if you don't support them all we'll get is more EA trash like spore.

Post #: 28
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 8:59:52 PM   
wozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

quote:

quote:

I know....I have mixed emotions about this. I always loved my shiny new boxes. Now, all I will get is cold, hard, code which is dependent on the net ( as some games can only be played with a connection ). I'm all in favor of intellectual property rights, but I think they are going to far with that..IMHO. I like the way DW does it though....besides if you don't support them all we'll get is more EA trash like spore.

I don't mind Digital downloads as long you don't have to activate them over the net each time.

You are right about Spore it was trash and not the game it was suppose to be. And don't get me started on Sim City EA really destroyed the franchise when they brought out SCS a dumbed down version of Sim City. Of course it was a failure but in the process EA destroyed the whole Sim City franchise. Not very cleaver suits.

Post #: 29
RE: Seriously thinking... - 12/22/2010 9:45:13 PM   
Zakhal

I have three shelves full of boxes. The only thing on my mind is how to get rid of most of them while making atleast few units of currency on the side.

Besides when it comes to matrix boxes great many of them I have received broken. Its no wonder since the cases feel very flimsy like they were made from the cheapest recycled plastic.

And I never even look at them after I put them to the shelf. They are waste of space. Only very few have proven useful incase they have a manual that is actually needed/interesting to read i.e forge of freedom.

As for DD I didnt need any manual to learn it. The game was easy enough to pick up simply by playing it.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/22/2010 9:50:31 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Seriously thinking... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI