Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GAME IS AWESOME!!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> GAME IS AWESOME!!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 1:48:13 AM   
CSSS

I played the board game for ten years. I bought the original and.....it was Buggy, still they made it better. Gold? The only thing that could be better is a Date with Megan FoX and Marilyn Monroe both at the age of thirty! LOL

There are so many Variables that no two games will be the same!!! I played France and the second turn of the game the Spanish Flu struck! I hope Germany takes enough casualties to stop the drive on Paris!

This game is a Total, Military, Production, Politics,Research,Land, Naval, and Air persons dream. It also has MANY ANT Theaters to give very intresting and entertaing sideshows.

The events you draw and play can add cunning twist to the plot of the game without detering from the Grand Concept of the game.

Do try the Demo, if you hace any brain , other than shootem up and RTS, you will LOVE this gem.

I am not any one paid staff, but we as a gaming community shold buy product that are this good so we can keep getting them!!!
Next I would like a Roman Grand campaign game!!!

< Message edited by CSS -- 5/18/2010 1:55:57 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 4:41:17 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Yeah, been messing around with the demo tutorials myself. I plan on purchasing WWI as soon as possible. The game runs decent on a cheap laptop, but when I get mine back it will be the first game installed. The scope is daunting, yet the ambiance of this game and the often ignored subject matter intrigues me to no end. The map is sharp and the period music adds to the immersion level rather nicely. A must buy IMHO.

Back to the art of mastering a beast.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 2
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 4:59:51 AM   
06 Maestro

This one of the very, very few games I let the music run. I suppose it helps with immersion, but it is just good stuff. The bagpipes are enough to make me want to fire up the game sometimes.

All in all, this has turned into one of my all time favorites. If a multi-player community builds up around this game, it will be my all-time favorite.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 3
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 7:34:10 AM   
wodin

I played the Jutland scenario.....didn'tknow what I was doing and in the end retreated but I won woohoo. I also started a 4 player campaign game....didn't know what I was doing and was losing but really enjoyed it....I do hope they do what they did to the civil war game and add how many actaul men are in battle and how many are casualties....chrome yes but immersion adding in buckets.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 4
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 8:17:18 AM   
wodin

I don't understand why you get events that don't benefit you? Does this mean the enemy can't draw the same card so your sort of taking a card of them?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 9:20:54 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I don't understand why you get events that don't benefit you? Does this mean the enemy can't draw the same card so your sort of taking a card of them?

That is my understanding, but don't know for sure. I normally hold events that may be useful to the enemy-just in case. While holding such items as severe blockade as Germany that event was never played on me-but it still just could have been a case of luck. Calvinus needs to enlighten us on this point.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 10:08:50 AM   
calvinus72

Holding in your hand event cards that can be useful for the enemy is a good strategy. Then the "Remix" events picks all unplayed events for players' hands so refilling the deck. Until this happens, keeping enemy events in your hand is a good way to counter him in some way.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 7
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 1:00:27 PM   
wodin

By mistake and not really knowing the game I played two events that were bad my for myself!!

Also are you supposed to know what warplan the enemy chooses? I thought through FOW you wouldn't know this sort of thing.

(in reply to calvinus72)
Post #: 8
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/18/2010 1:50:04 PM   
calvinus72

There's a big section if game manual where all events are explained very carefully and we printed all conditions for event triggering.

Warplans are ALL declared in the end of Warplans selection phase, absolutely no FoW on this point.
Later, you can see the chosen warplan by inspecting the tooltip of the trench warfare icon (top frame bar).
Also, remember that some warplans can be spotted by the secret service before the end of Warplans phase (i.e.: Berlin plan for Russians, XX Plan for France, etc. etc.)!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/19/2010 2:51:53 AM   
CSSS

You can get events that do not benifit you, but could benifit the enamy if you dont take them out of circulation!

< Message edited by CSS -- 5/19/2010 2:52:14 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/20/2010 5:01:30 PM   
koontz

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSS

I played the board game for ten years. I bought the original and.....it was Buggy, still they made it better. Gold? The only thing that could be better is a Date with Megan FoX and Marilyn Monroe both at the age of thirty! LOL

There are so many Variables that no two games will be the same!!! I played France and the second turn of the game the Spanish Flu struck! I hope Germany takes enough casualties to stop the drive on Paris!

This game is a Total, Military, Production, Politics,Research,Land, Naval, and Air persons dream. It also has MANY ANT Theaters to give very intresting and entertaing sideshows.

The events you draw and play can add cunning twist to the plot of the game without detering from the Grand Concept of the game.

Do try the Demo, if you hace any brain , other than shootem up and RTS, you will LOVE this gem.

I am not any one paid staff, but we as a gaming community shold buy product that are this good so we can keep getting them!!!

Hi couple of questions

have u tried WitP AE and if so can you make any comparison?

how does naval and air work?

anyway gonna look around the forums and w8 for some more AARs

Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 11
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/20/2010 7:27:40 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: koontz

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSS

Hi couple of questions

I play AE extensively. While there is some similarity in the scope of the game, e.g., they both involve an entire theatre of war, the two are actually quite different. WWI is, after all, a computrized board game. Unit damage occurs by "flipping" units to a reduced state, you play "cards," and units are corps sized. AE is MUCH more detailed as it uses individual squads and vehicles as the basis for most land units, and inidividual planes and pilots for air units. Naval units are by ship/boat and individual captains. There is much more depth to AE. It is not for the faint of heart, although those who play it love it. Also, AE can take up to a year to play the grand scenario; WWI can be completed in a long weekend (or less if you do something really stupid). There's 50 turns in WWI that take may take 15 minutes to play, there's maybe 2,000 turns for AE that can take up to an hour to play, depending on your style of play and attention to detail. For example, some people make sure that each and every ship is captained by the best guy possible, I only change commaders when I see that one of them really stinks.

I like them both, but for different reasons. WWI is my diversion from AE. It's a gaming vacation, if you will. And to be honest, I thin that AACW is a better game than WWI. Not by a lot, though.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to koontz)
Post #: 12
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/20/2010 7:35:58 PM   
JasonPratt

quote:

Hi couple of questions

WitP (including AE and, more pertinently, Warplan Orange): hexbased movement and ranges
WW1: territory based movement and ranges (somewhat like irregular hexes in proportionate size, though)

WitP: tracks every aircraft and pilot in the war individually.
WW1: tracks the creation and destruction of aces; otherwise, squadrons are attached to headquarters and deployed or otherwise behave in concert with headquarter abilities. (Still, very much less abstracted than "Guns of August")

WitP: tracks every ship in the war individually and in massive detail
WW1: tracks fleets in some detail. (Also far less abstracted than GoA, but nowhere near detail of WitP engine.) Individual ships are tracked.

Naval combat in WW1 is rather more detailed than (pure) Air combat; both are far more detailed than GoA; neither are as detailed in some ways as WitP. However, unlike WitP (at least the pre-AE version, including WPO, and I haven't heard otherwise yet for AE), the player is allowed to influence both Air and Naval combat (where purely so, not just as support for land combat) while it's happening by assigning some basic roles, lines of attack/defense, reinforcements, etc. This includes formation steaming.

Air Combat Example 1 (from the manual):
A Russian fighter [squadron, etc.] intercepts an Austrian fighter and an Austrian
bomber. The battle starts with a duel involving both fighters (the Austrian
bomber is temporarily put aside). At the end of the second round, the
Russian fighter is still present. So it attacks the Austrian bomber (which
cannot avoid the fight).

Air Combat Example 2:
in May 1915, a French fighter attempts a recon to observe a
German region (within range, 5 regions). A German GHQ-based fighter
intercepts (the GHQ is within range). He is allowed to do so, because he
benefits of the “Engine” technology, and his Dogfight value is now 1, so he
may intercept and fight (on the other side, the French air unit still has a 0
Dogfight Indicator, and he cannot defend !). The aerial battle starts; only the
German may shoot:
● The German fighter has a 1 Dogfight value, and the French fighter
has a 0 Protection value, for a final difference +1.
● The German player rolls on the +1 column. He rolls a 6, no result.
At the end of the first combat round, the French fighter decides that
discretion is the better part of valor, flees and lands back at home.

Here's (hopefully) a screenshot from the manual, giving an example of the naval battle table:

Naval battles are too complex to give easy examples of; the manual covers naval actions and warfare for 15-1/2 pages. (And that doesn't count submarine warfare, which has its own 2-1/4 pages as a strategic action. Tactical submarine support exists in WW1Gold, but is pretty rare, especially at the beginning of the game.)

Attachment (1)

"Pratt creates a real, hard, dirty world that is somehow still fantastical and full of magic and mystery. Daunting, but worthwhile." -- Vanessa Lee for Front Street

(in reply to koontz)
Post #: 13
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/20/2010 7:38:14 PM   
JasonPratt

In the example screenshot above, the player (whose forces are on the bottom half of the screen) has yet to deploy his fleet elements for the attack. He apparently has enough to open up two lines of attack (left and right flank, in game parlance) if he wishes, though. (Otherwise, the right-side boxes would be x'd off.)

"Pratt creates a real, hard, dirty world that is somehow still fantastical and full of magic and mystery. Daunting, but worthwhile." -- Vanessa Lee for Front Street

(in reply to JasonPratt)
Post #: 14
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/20/2010 7:53:10 PM   
JasonPratt

WW1G includes a lot of nifty little flourishes to air and (especially) naval warfare--for example, it simulates the political situation of Wilhelm Kaiser's pride in his Luxan Imperial fleet, meaning that it's hard for the Central Power's player to move any fleet with a German battleship (B or BB class) into contested waters. Once Admiral Scheer arrives on the scene, there's a bonus to this but it's still difficult. Consequently, the German or CP player (in a 4-player game one of the CP players will take the German nationality) will tend to deploy fleets without battleships or otherwise only use fleets defensively for home waters. Once a battleship fleet manages to win a major fight, though, the restriction on B/BB offensive action is removed (because Wilhelm is so proud of his dreadnoughts!)

And having some direct control over battles is really nice, compared to WitP, even though the other game tracks results in far more detail.

This applies to land warfare, too. Which, by the way, in WW1G is far more headquarter oriented than in the WitP engine (which doesn't simulate headquarter effects all that much). Headquarters are vital for activating, moving, and supporting corps and armies. (Though unlike Guns of August, the HQs look visually more like they're in the fight instead of directing from behind.)

WW1G is vastly more concerned with strategic and political issues than WitP, up to and including the use of event cards by the players. Tech interests seem roughly on par, but each game goes about it a very different way; I'm inclined to say that tech development and deployment is more important in WW1G.

Supply is hugely important and even somewhat detailed but is otherwise entirely abstracted in WW1G. Whereas, on the other hand, the player outright manages (and attacks) supply fleets in WitP. Each method has definite pros and cos.

Finally, WW1G uses off-map areas to simulate fighting outside of Europe and the Mediterranean, whereas WitP has a godawfully much huger map to play with but no off-map areas. On the other hand, it's much easier for the player to focus on playing just a zone in WitP while the rest of the Pacific War goes on, than in WW1G which is set up either for very limited scenarios or for the whole enchilada but not really for anything in between (so far).

(in reply to JasonPratt)
Post #: 15
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/20/2010 8:27:15 PM   
JasonPratt

Another key difference:

WW1G: forces (and combat) are very 'card' oriented, including for purposes of damage. In other words, if a corps is in combat (the smallest non-support unit in WW1G) it may either escape effectively unharmed from a combat round, or be destroyed, or be damaged--basically the 'card' for that corps is flipped over to its opposite side, showing a white bar through it. Damage can be 'fixed' during the battle by means of rest and expenditure of resource points. The game doesn't keep track of rolling casualties. (Some people have complained about this hurting the immersion factor of the game, especially considering the freakishly disturbing casualty rate for World War One major battles. Note however that these effects ARE complexly incorporated into the game!--just not with a numerical headcount.) The same is true for aircraft squadrons and individual combat ships.

WitP: individual aircraft and ships are tracked with damage (and for ships, casualties) in far more detail, and battalions upward on land are tracked according to specific casualty counts. (800 casualties in the bombardment for this hex this turn, etc.) WitP makes fuller use of computer bookkeeping abilities in this fashion.

(in reply to JasonPratt)
Post #: 16
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/21/2010 10:36:34 AM   
koontz

Thanks guys made it some clearer

one more question anyone tried it in multiplayer and thosse Turn Play: WEGO
work.

Many thanks

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."

(in reply to JasonPratt)
Post #: 17
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/21/2010 10:52:50 AM   
calvinus72

WEGO mode is not available in Multiplayer.

Strict turn-based mode is required. Also, I strongly recommend experts to play in army-by-army activation mode in Multiplayer, because the fun is guaranteed.

Finally, for Multiplayer don't forget to download and install the beta patch 1.08C (available on official AgeOD forum), because it introduces some key fixes improvements for MP.

(in reply to koontz)
Post #: 18
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/21/2010 1:34:41 PM   
koontz

Used to play Axis and allies b4 in MP, and there it was 1 making an turn the others are waiing
really hope that all 4 makes there turn at the sametime

(in reply to calvinus72)
Post #: 19
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/21/2010 1:49:10 PM   
calvinus72

quote:

ORIGINAL: koontz

Used to play Axis and allies b4 in MP, and there it was 1 making an turn the others are waiing
really hope that all 4 makes there turn at the sametime

I understand. Main problem for WEGO in Multiplayer is to guarantee a perfect synchronization during the execution of orders in a gaming session which is a hybrid between a pure peer to peer and a server-client mode.
I already added a timestamp sorting procedure for orders, and now the game works fine in strict turn-based mode. For WEGO I did some tests and I found some glitches. This is why WEGO is actually unavailable for Multiplayer.
Also, a timestamp based mechanism requires that the clocks of all connected PCs are synchronized. This is not so difficult to do, but requires a bit more coding stuff.
So stay tuned, news will come soon.

(in reply to koontz)
Post #: 20
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 5/22/2010 7:22:13 AM   
ypsylon

I must point out that with all new North-2-South map WWI is at least 10x better than the original (including all patches).

Still a lot of thinking, stumbling around, sometimes unexplainable behavior from AI, and equally unexpected display of initiative, but with new map you don't need to scream in the night: where the hell that happened/where the hell am I?

(in reply to calvinus72)
Post #: 21
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 6/2/2010 1:39:36 PM   
hellfirejet

I bought the original version but played it very little,far to many bugs with it,but since then I have been watching the gold version progress,and decided to buy it also in the full version,the new map is far superior to the original plus there have been a great many improvements,so for all round game play the gold version is much much better.

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to ypsylon)
Post #: 22
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 6/3/2010 3:33:15 AM   
balto

I am sorry, I get confused on those turn-based, WEGO etc., terms.

With that said, is this now PBEM capable?

This sure looks good.

(in reply to calvinus72)
Post #: 23
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 6/14/2010 2:53:43 AM   
CSSS

The ture rules to the original Board game was Army by Army activation instead of WEGO. Also you can multiplayer this Lan/TCPIP not email. Thiugh I have yet to figure that out.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 24
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 6/24/2010 5:11:07 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Thanks to everyone on this thread for explaining how WW1G works, especially JasonPratt. As a WWI fan, I've been reluctantly sitting on the sidelines waiting for the bugs to be ironed out, and for the map to be correctly oriented.

I'm now finally confident that WW1G is ready for prime time. So, last night I finally bought it from Matrix Games. It sure looks great on my monitor in 1920x1200!

Tutorial One comes tonight.

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 25
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 6/30/2010 2:40:32 AM   
CSSS

The latest Patch 1.08I is out!

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 26
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 6/30/2010 11:05:14 PM   
wodin

I played a game upto Jan 1917...I have to say....this game is superb....it's so damn deep...it also replicates WW1 near perfect....something many said couldn't be done nor make a decent game covering WW1...this has proved them wrong...it's better than nearly all those WW2 games out there these days...it's the best game I've ever played at this scale....full stop.

P.S i'm rubbish playing it though...

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 27
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 10/29/2010 4:43:53 AM   
CSSS

There is a NEW mod on Ageods site that lightens the Maps colors! It really helps Play!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 28
RE: GAME IS AWESOME!!!! - 12/22/2010 7:36:21 PM   
jackdone

This is one of the games very, very little, let the music flow. I guess that contributes to the immersion, but it is fair to good things. The bagpipes are enough to make me want to start a game sometimes.Overall this has become one of my all time favorites. If a multi-player community built around this game, it will be my favorite of all time.

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> GAME IS AWESOME!!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI