Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

skip bombing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> skip bombing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
skip bombing - 12/20/2010 11:57:20 PM   
lolz

is it possible to do it in game? and how?

Post #: 1
RE: skip bombing - 12/21/2010 2:31:12 AM   
bradfordkay

Your pilots have to be of high experience (80+?)and the squadron needs to be set at 100' for skip bombing to be initiated. Good luck!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to lolz)
Post #: 2
RE: skip bombing - 12/21/2010 9:38:26 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: lolz

is it possible to do it in game? and how?

REALISTICALLY? Not very.

(in reply to lolz)
Post #: 3
RE: skip bombing - 12/21/2010 12:19:46 PM   
Itdepends

Off topic- that has got to be the most ridiculously oversized signature picture I've seen- even by this forums standards.

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 4
RE: skip bombing - 12/22/2010 4:26:39 AM   
FatR

Set bombers to attack at 100 or 1000 ft. (not yet sure which works better). Watch enemy shipping dying horribly. Decent LowN skill in the squadron helps, but isn't strictly required to get results, unless you also want to destroy fast warships (yes, skipbombing is that good). With LowN 60+ these start getting hit on about every second bombing pass too.

< Message edited by FatR -- 12/22/2010 4:29:43 AM >

(in reply to lolz)
Post #: 5
RE: skip bombing - 12/22/2010 10:45:41 PM   
GreasyLake

JFB question, Has anyone tried using this tactic with IJN/IJA bombers? To me it would be kinda gamey in a PBEM since as far as I know only Allies actually used this tactic (most Japanese pilots flying that low and close to a target would just Kami it!!!). Just wondering if I could use it to whup up on the AI.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 6
RE: skip bombing - 12/23/2010 6:35:12 AM   
Puhis

I've used zeros at 100 ft. Once they were very effective vs. slow xAKLs, 60 kg bombs are deadly. But they hardly ever fly... If my Ki-45 Nicks ever have some spare time, I'm going to train LowN skill. IMO Nick would be ideal skip bomber.

I think IRL japanese did train skip bombing at least in 1944, but I don't know if they ever used that tactic. They did choose another bombing tactic...

(in reply to GreasyLake)
Post #: 7
RE: skip bombing - 12/23/2010 12:42:14 PM   
lolz

ive seen a picture that says "zeke preforming skip bombing attack on CVE x"
but you cant really see on the picture if its skip bombing or not.
other then that,i didnt find any record that can say japanese used skip bombing.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 8
RE: skip bombing - 12/23/2010 1:30:21 PM   
Puhis

From Axis History forum

According to Raymond Lamont-Brown's Kamikaze,page 27:

..the form of attack of skip bombing..was discussed and tried out by the Japanese[1943]..Zero fighters were fitted out with 250kg bombs which were released 200 to 300 yards away from an enemy ship.There was a great risk of damage to the fighter either from the bombs bouncing back or from an explosion on the target,but a successful training programme was carried out in the Bohol Strait,near the Cebu base,under the eye of Kimpei Teraoka,Commander of 1st Air Fleet.The programme was abandoned when the US attack on Davao on 9-10 September 1944 wiped out 50 per cent of the participating 201st Air Group..

This is exactly the same what I was thinking about. At that point Japanese abandoned skip bombing tactic when most of the planes were destroyed.

Another one from Axis History Forum:
However, at least one USN ship had been sunk by similar kind of mast height attack. It was the USS Twiggs (DD-591). Though in average the sources stated that it was torpedo attack, the detail analysis shows that it more likely was the bomb, dropped by B6N2 approaching from the bow bearing at the masthead level. Most likely, 500-kg bomb, that blew up right at the ship bow plate against forward 5-inch magazines dead below the waterline, with penetrating or not. There were no aerial torpedoes in Japanese inventory to be ready to detonate after ~70-80 yards run in the water, as this distance is detailed by the sources the drop had been.

(in reply to lolz)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> skip bombing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI