Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Revisiting PH

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Revisiting PH Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Revisiting PH - 12/24/2010 12:04:37 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I am struggling my way through a PBEM as Japan and the game date is late April 1942. Through my submarines I know some of the ships that are at PH are some new fast BBs and two possible CVs. I also think some of the old BBs damaged in the original attack are still there under repair before they are floated back to the west coast.

I have some spare fuel and KB is at full strength with only a few op losses. My question is, can I get anything by sailing them back to PH and doing another surprise attack?
I know they won't drop 800 KG bombs. But I still think than can conduct torpedo attacks.
Or is the loss of AC just not worth it?

I know the Zero still has total superiority so I can brush off the Cap. I just worry about the flak being at 100% now.
I plan on sailing on a line south of Alaska and about PH between search zones and sailing east of the islands and then coming on from the northeast.

Has anyone tried a follow up attacks months later?
Post #: 1
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/24/2010 12:33:49 AM   
Vladd

If you can achieve surprise, perhaps, but that's a very big if.

In my current game, the IJN came back only 3 weeks after the initial attack, didn't achieve surprise, and lost Shokaku, sinking nothing in return. The USN carrier squadrons had been based ashore whilst the CVs sailed away safely to the east.

3 months into the game, I guarantee it would have been worse yet for the IJN...

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/24/2010 3:03:49 AM   
PaxMondo

The issue is that a player will have numerous LB fighter units at PH.  More than the KB can likely penetrate.  Combined with the flak, your losses would be really high.  This doesn't even account for the player likely forming a SCF (or three) and and attempting to engage the KB at close quarters.

Pax

(in reply to Vladd)
Post #: 3
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/24/2010 3:17:19 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I have 34 DDs ready as a screening force that will shield KB one hex off to the south and west. I am not worried about surface battles. Just losing a lot of planes and good pilots. I plan on pounding the AFs too but don't know if I would catch too many planes on the ground.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 4
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/24/2010 8:39:58 AM   
d0mbo

Well, there's only one way to find out for sure.........

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 5
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/24/2010 9:23:38 AM   
Sardaukar

Big risk, because there will be lot of land-based air. There is always possibility that Allied player is careless and have most of it set for training or ASW, though. So it might be worth it, especially since there is usually good chance in April 42 to catch US CVs in port there.

But if Allied player has all his fighters up, even when you get results, KB air units will get decimated by CAP & flak.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 6
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/24/2010 4:36:27 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

Well, there's only one way to find out for sure.........

+1

Post results here ... curious to see ...

Pax

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 7
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/25/2010 4:15:58 PM   
John 3rd

Yikes. I'd be VERY careful. Would be fun though! Post is anything happens.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/29/2010 4:42:09 PM   
inqistor

If USA have clear air-path into Austrlia, and they have shifted most of airforce there, it is worth a try. If they are trapped on their side of Pacific, you will face hundreds of planes. That probably will not be disaster, but KB could lose few CVs.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 9
RE: Revisiting PH - 12/29/2010 8:33:30 PM   
Zemke

The decision to risk your only real strategic assets for what long term gain, a few ships sunk that the Allies can easily afford and will replace several times over. If you must hit him, hit him where he is weak, but makes him come to you.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 10
RE: Revisiting PH - 1/1/2011 3:40:01 AM   
Alpha77

At least IF I was the opponent you should have some success, I remeber I set a bigger portion of my fighters at PH to training. However a part of them might fly nonetheless if the base they are training at is attacked. Just try it and post results :)

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Revisiting PH Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI