Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/7/2002 4:50:47 AM   
Ivan

yah ive seen it.
it wasnt a ww2 film tho.

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 121
- 8/7/2002 11:01:22 PM   
ananias

No sh*t? Are you trying to tell me that the russians didn´t have AK-74´s in WW2?:p ;)

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

Post #: 122
- 8/8/2002 3:52:31 AM   
Ivan

hey, just letting people now it aint a ww2 movie

so haist vittu :D

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

Post #: 123
First part of Ryan - 8/8/2002 4:24:32 AM   
wpurdom

For "war movie" I have to vote for Saving Private Ryan although it has flaws in the construction as a "movie."
The problem is that Ryan is actually 3 different movies with a hokey wraparound. The first 30 minutes is the most incredible job I ever saw of presenting an actual military. (You have to watch it extremely closely and notice the brief shot of the lost first wave to fully appreciate it.)
The next section where they look for Ryan is an excellent piece on why soldiers fight and the dynamics of the relationships among front-line soldiers. It is really divorced from any particular point in the war.
The third section after they meet Ryan is a classic, hokey but fun shoot-em-up - a Defense of the Alamo in the middle of WWII.
It's the first 30 minutes that gets my vote as the greatest war movie. For the second and third sections, it's enough for me that they weren't oppressive to watch.

Post #: 124
- 8/8/2002 8:14:49 PM   
ananias

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ivan
[B]hey, just letting people now it aint a ww2 movie

so haist vittu :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Haist vittu ihan yourself:p

****, forgot to mention that the film describes Chechenya. My bad.

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

Post #: 125
- 8/8/2002 8:20:33 PM   
John Carney

If I have to only pick one of my WWII DVD's, it has to be Das Boot (german version of the directors cut). Being a bubble head may influence my choice. For a true feel of the time it is my favorite.
Sink the Bismark and Tora Tora were also good for the dual sided story of sea conflict.
Kelly's Hero's, Dirty Dozen, and The Great Escape for American action.
Longest Day, A Bridge to Far, Patton, Mac Arthur, Bridge over River Kwai, Desert Rats, and Battan for good battles.
Saving Private Ryan, Cross of Iron, and Guadalcanal.
But for EPIC battle movie (not WWII) we must consider Waterloo.

Post #: 126
steel tempest ? - 8/9/2002 7:03:38 AM   
czarek

Have you watch Steel Tempest ? I have just found it on amazon and I don't know is it worth to buy

czarek

Post #: 127
- 8/9/2002 10:02:53 AM   
OKW-73

Anyone seen movie called Beast AKA Beast of War? Its not WW2 based, but Russian - Afganistan war instead. Very nice movie IMO. One Russian tank lost contact to main forces and Afganistans start hunting it in desert... :D

Here is link to movie in Amazon -->
[URL=http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=v&id=1800033183]Beast of War[/URL]

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Post #: 128
- 8/9/2002 11:21:23 PM   
Ivan

i think ive seen it
they drive the tank over some afghan at one point right?
then the commander of the tank gets deserted and he joins the afghans or something?

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

Post #: 129
- 8/10/2002 1:29:02 AM   
OKW-73

[B]i think ive seen it
they drive the tank over some afghan at one point right?
then the commander of the tank gets deserted and he joins the afghans or something? [/B][/QUOTE]

yes, same movie, but it wasnt a commander who joins afgans, it was one other member of crew. :)

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Post #: 130
- 8/10/2002 2:20:01 AM   
Ivan

well sorry, i saw the movie like 10 years ago :P

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

Post #: 131
Best and Worst Movie - 8/31/2002 11:28:04 AM   
Matt

Gentlemen, I had to weigh in on this one, I don't know if anyone will actually see it.

Best Movie --> We Were Soldiers - for realism, drama, decent acting. I may be biased having spent three years in the unit, but more true than any movie I've seen. I stood and cheered when that one soldier said, "Garryowen sir!"

Worst Movie --> Without question, "Enemy at the Gates". This movie could not have been worse if it tried. It departs from reality at the point where the only thing that is realistic is that at some point there was a war which involved Russians and Germans. The plot is a farce. The snipers involved was somewhere else or were someone otherwise. The portrayals of Russians and Germans are so far off as to disgrace those who were there on both sides. Clearly the director was a either a Frenchman, or a communist. (I'll be darned, right on both counts!)

When is some one going to make a decent movie of Guy Sajer's "The Forgotten Soldier"? Though I am scared that they would screw it up.

WH3A out.

IYACYAS

Post #: 132
- 8/31/2002 5:30:04 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Interesting level of condemnation for Enemy at the gates.

To be sure some of the historicity might have been a bit off, but to miss out of slagging Battle of the Bulge (for looking just plain lame), or not mentioning Pearl Harbour (yes I would see it with a woman, but only if I was going to end up in bed with her later).

Then to pass up on calling Thin Red Line the worst indicates you don't watch a lot of films.

How old are you Matt?

Most of us old grognards would never pick Enemy at the Gates as the worst, even if we didn't like the film.
Way to many better choices for that honour.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 133
- 8/31/2002 5:48:49 PM   
Ivan

i find enemy at the gates entertaining. The only thing that really made me shiver is how that tank "fires" early in the movie. never seen a crappier cannon-fire effect.
now in my books, if a war movie is entertaining and does not give you too many gag reflexes, it aint bad.

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

Post #: 134
- 8/31/2002 9:21:19 PM   
Wombat63

Its a German film called Stalingrad
It was a seperate war than the western countries knew and I'm not sure that there was a winner.

Post #: 135
To elaborate. . . - 8/31/2002 11:11:19 PM   
Matt

I stand corrected. Enemy at the Gates is not winning running away. Battle of the Bulge is a close second. I had forgotten about that. I haven't seen Pearl Harbor yet through a strange set of circumstances.

But to talk specifics in "Enemy. . ." I'll start at the beginning with the Soviet reinforcements being moved across the river. They were not the most polished military machine ever, but were organized into units, like squads, platoons, companies and so on. The Soviets had come to Stalingrad battle with over one million fairly experienced reserves from the east and north, so I'm willing to bet they had their own rifles.

The movie portrays the Russian soldiers as happy go lucky galumphs who took a break each night to socialize in basements, and then attack with the guns of their political officers at the back during the day? All the Germans are fat slovenly morons who callously and arbitrarily wander about shooting wounded Russians.

Oh the snipers. There was a German sniper instructor there. He was killed by a female Soviet sniper. James Lucas or Paul Carroll has her account in a book. I have her picture in another German book. She apparently stalked him over several days and finally shot him as he was hiding under some sheet metal in a vacant lot. She lived through the war in is credited with shooting over 350 Germans.

A good portion of my movie collection is war movies, and I particularly enjoy several: The Longest Day, Paths of Glory, Gettysburg, Gallipolli, and even Kelly's Heroes.

Les, I'm 27. BTW, which regiment were you in? I have an affinity for Canadians, even if you have unified the forces up there and have some friends who spent considerable time in the RCD, and Lord Strathcona's Horse (RC).

Regards,

Matt

IYACYAS

Post #: 136
- 9/1/2002 5:27:51 AM   
Ivan

actually,in the early days of the war the soviets had no where near enough rifles for all the men.
now vasili is from the urals so im betting all the guys who came along with him were drafter at gunpoint from the same area, shoved into trains and moved directly to stalingrad. And im willing to bet that they did not have rifles for everyone at that exact point from when they get to the harbour.
And fat germans?Only fat germans i remember is the one officer and that one private.
And the russians did have political officers in every company to keep them in check by gunpoint.
And now im confused, Are you saying that Zaitsev is not a real character from history?

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

Post #: 137
- 9/1/2002 6:12:19 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I actually have Vasili Ivanovich Chuicov's own personal book telling of his defense of Stalingrad, I must get around to reading it I suppose.

Matt I am 40 now so my time in uniform is a bit dim of memory. But I was in the RCRs Royal Canadian Regiment based in Petawawa. But it was back in 81.
They had just begun the notion of direct entry for infantry recruits (no Cornwallis, you went straight to your unit...what a hoot).
031 Death Tech what a lifestyle hehe:)

Post #: 138
Best movie - 9/3/2002 8:47:59 AM   
parusski

Not fair to ask for one. Two would have been perfect. I love the obvious one. But my vote goe to Kelleys Heros- what a H** of a movie. Besides the "other one" it is the only war movie my wife likedl It was a riotl

Been gone for a long time, hope not everybody forgot me. parusski

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 139
- 9/14/2002 6:24:52 AM   
Tito

Ran fron Akira Kurosawa is great one.
Blood, honor, A lot of troops running left and right, treason, discipline, loyalty until death.
At last "Ran" in japanese means "Chaos".
That's my favorite.

Post #: 140
- 9/14/2002 4:26:54 PM   
Ivan

i must agree
kellys heroes has to be one of the funniest movies ive ever seen. sure its a war movie, but **** ive laughed that hard only on few occasions.

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

Post #: 141
The Longest Day - 9/14/2002 7:35:11 PM   
Zoltar DEXTER

I would have not seen the beaches of Normandy and the cemetaries along them, I would have answered Das Boot (such a generic).

But I have seen the alignment s of graves... and I remember this small German graveyard, with the age of each victim indicated... 17 years, 18 years,....And Omaha's US cemetarry...very impressive and moving...

So, because D-Day represent so much for us, French (BTW, thanks again Folks ! we will never forget !), I choose The Longest Day.

One more time, you have our deepest gratitude.....

If I have children, I will show them the beaches of Normandy...

And the Longest Day.....

Zoltar - French Grognard exiled in Novorossiysk

"Duc in altum" - Sail to deep water

Post #: 142
Choice, choices, choices - 9/25/2002 7:32:16 PM   
Noodleboy

Pre-20th Century (war that is): ZULU which i think is as epic as 'Waterloo' and a hell of a lot more entertaining.

WWI: ACES HIGH -screenplay airborne version of the play Journey's End -very dashing with fine aerial shots. Very grim with a high casualty rate and psychological breakdown.

Not quite a Film but i could watch ALL six episodes back to back repeatedly of this: BLACKADDER GOES FORTH which i know some of you guys have seen. You will never go on a course in the British Army without seeing an excerpt from this comedy.

WWII: ATTACK! -Jack Palance; he da boy! Real life war hero in a film that was banned for about five years in the USA 'cos it showed that even American troops under fire could crack.

Post-War: WARRIORS -sorry if this is a bit obscure but it's a Brit- Flick about the British Army's nightmare in Bosnia 1994. The contacts were fairly sporadic but the stresses involved in this seminal peacekeeping op seem to have ben fairly well portrayed.

Post #: 143
Re: The Longest Day - 9/30/2002 2:08:55 AM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zoltar DEXTER
[B]I would have not seen the beaches of Normandy and the cemetaries along them, I would have answered Das Boot (such a generic).

But I have seen the alignment s of graves... and I remember this small German graveyard, with the age of each victim indicated... 17 years, 18 years,....And Omaha's US cemetarry...very impressive and moving...

So, because D-Day represent so much for us, French (BTW, thanks again Folks ! we will never forget !), I choose The Longest Day.

One more time, you have our deepest gratitude.....

If I have children, I will show them the beaches of Normandy...

And the Longest Day..... [/B][/QUOTE]

hello!

i visited normandie and belgium some weeks ago.

and i must say you are absolutly right!

one not think of the bloody battles that happened
in this nice countyside.

i stood at omaha beach and enjoyed the great sight
from "point du hoc", but always with a sad feeling of
all these brave men (of both sides) that died there.

Post #: 144
Cross of Iron - 10/2/2002 10:25:07 PM   
drwho007

I think that Cross of Iron was a splended great show about the eastern front.:)

Jab

Post #: 145
- 10/2/2002 11:02:27 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

You are French Zoltar? I only ask due to your location.

I recall the horrible cost of France's liberation, and it all comes down to that French guy waving proudly his tricolour as his world is being shelled, because he knows the Nazi's days are numbered (scene from the Longest Day).

I wish more people could realise this simple detail when we see in the news of yet more people caught in the cross fire.

If Canada was invaded by a ruthless hostile vicious nation, and my life was subject to possible internment in forced labour camps or worse, you can bet I would be glad to see my liberators come, even if my town was flattened in the process.

All the suffering, all the death, all the horrors I place at the feat of the person or persons, nation or nations that orginally invaded me.
I would not hold responsible, the actions of my liberators, if they were risking their own peoples lives to drive out those of my captors.

War is indeed hell. People get killed in war. War is great at making people suffer.

There is just so little appreciation in media and film, for those that try and save us from the nastier people of the world.

I cry each November 11 as I recall all the people that stayed young forever, so we could rid ourselves of Nazis and all their allies.
And I am not to friendly to people that can't suffer a few minutes out of an entire year, to remember them.

"Lest we forget" means something to me at least.

Its why I study war and examine in detail. I have no intention of ever forgetting.

Post #: 146
Re: Choice, choices, choices - 10/21/2002 9:47:55 PM   
Ezikel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Noodleboy
[B]Pre-20th Century (war that is): ZULU which i think is as epic as 'Waterloo' and a hell of a lot more entertaining.

WWI: ACES HIGH -screenplay airborne version of the play Journey's End -very dashing with fine aerial shots. Very grim with a high casualty rate and psychological breakdown.

Not quite a Film but i could watch ALL six episodes back to back repeatedly of this: BLACKADDER GOES FORTH which i know some of you guys have seen. You will never go on a course in the British Army without seeing an excerpt from this comedy.

WWII: ATTACK! -Jack Palance; he da boy! Real life war hero in a film that was banned for about five years in the USA 'cos it showed that even American troops under fire could crack.

Post-War: WARRIORS -sorry if this is a bit obscure but it's a Brit- Flick about the British Army's nightmare in Bosnia 1994. The contacts were fairly sporadic but the stresses involved in this seminal peacekeeping op seem to have ben fairly well portrayed. [/B][/QUOTE]

"Stop throwing those bloody spears at me"
-Michael Cain

Ok... so he didn't really say it, but i would have been funny anyway *G*

I remember Black adder goes forth, unless im mistaken thats WW1? On the last episode they all charge out of the trench only to get nailed by a machine gun. Kinda brought the realism of what happened despite it being a comedy.

I thought Warriors was more of a short series than a film, some of the soliders in it were driving UN Peacekeeping APC's i think.

ABout enemy of the gates, well i havn't seen it and proberbly wont in the near future but my impression was it was the story of a Sniper Vs Sniper type of thing. I saw/read (cant remember) it was based on an acctuall event im sure everyone knows, but it was i think the one famous German sniper bassicly being hunted down (like a dog *G*) by numerous russian snipers and killed.

My fave tho' is 'A Bridge to far' for its scale and how it switches between people in the different bridges/locations/battles. One of the best scenes was i think when the air force was dropping supplies just outside a british stronghold (if it can be called that) one of the Paras was fed up and run out, picked up a container and made his way back. I think he got to the small foot bridge only to be gunned down before he got there. The irony being that the container that he picked up was a fresh supply of red berets.

Of course SPR has got to be up there for the realism of the beach assault and the alamo type battle at the end.

Worst film tho has to be Dam Busters... because ive been made to watch it at Christmas so many times i cant stand to see it again. Stupid film.

OFFICIAL: Stop! Stop, will you?! Stop that! Stop it! Now, look! No one
is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand?! Even,
and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say 'Jehovah'.
CROWD: Ooooooh!...

Post #: 147
Re: Re: Choice, choices, choices - 11/11/2002 2:56:33 AM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ezikel
[B]
I thought Warriors was more of a short series than a film, some of the soliders in it were driving UN Peacekeeping APC's i think.

ABout enemy of the gates, well i havn't seen it and proberbly wont in the near future but my impression was it was the story of a Sniper Vs Sniper type of thing. I saw/read (cant remember) it was based on an acctuall event im sure everyone knows, but it was i think the one famous German sniper bassicly being hunted down (like a dog *G*) by numerous russian snipers and killed.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Warriors is a TV-minseries, and a quite good one at that. It depicts, as Noodleboy said, the situation for the UN troops in 1994 Bosnia. Special props to Ioan Gruffud for his performance. It's also interesting, as I've had quite a few friends going down there as part of the UN mission, and their stories are in line with the series. Lots of frustration, although I suspect it's a bit partial with the Bosnians.

Got StuG?

Post #: 148
- 11/11/2002 4:11:15 AM   
Ivan

Warrios was good.With ron livingstone from band of brothers in it right?

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

Post #: 149
- 11/12/2002 1:00:29 AM   
Belisarius

[B]Warrios was good.With ron livingstone from band of brothers in it right? [/B][/QUOTE]

Almost there. Damian Lewis, who played Major Winters in Band of Brothers, also stars in Warriors (as Lt. Loughrey). Ron Livingstone plays Capt. Nixon in BoB. I think you meant Lewis, anyway. ;)

Got StuG?

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI