Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

User opinions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> User opinions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
User opinions - 12/24/2010 5:53:59 AM   
sth1119

Just wondering what the community thinks of this game. I have a few Matrix titles and like the format - i used to play panzer leader boards games and such. A good eastern front game has not been out for a while.

I understand the need for some developer to charge the high cost. For those of you playing, is it worth it?

I haven't seen any reviews yet. (i know it has not been out long)

< Message edited by sth0009 -- 12/24/2010 5:55:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: User opinions - 12/24/2010 6:56:01 AM   
bcgames

About six months ago I discovered that this game was under development. I looked at the initial screen shots and thought...hmmm...this game bears watching. I read everything that followed in the marketing of the game. I bought it on the day it was released...something I don't usually do. I was not disappointed. It was worth every penny I spent.

I've been wargaming since 1966 and I've learned since that the Eastern Front of WWII has go to be the biggest mungasso a game developer can try and tackle--often tried, rarely achieved. SPI, GDW were the Kings of the boardgame versions of the "Grand Campaign" for the Russian Front. Now, in my book, Matrix owns the braggin' rights for the computer version of this epic struggle. I won't say it is the easiest of games to learn but I will say--it grows on you real fast--and pleasantly so. Hats off to the developers and playtesters.

As for me, if collateral damage is any indicator, I've spent more on David Glantz books in the past few weeks then I've spent on the game. Inquiring minds want to know about The War in the East. Buy it if you are intrigued by the history of this time and place. The game will satisfy your itchings to get in there and try to do it yourself.

(in reply to sth1119)
Post #: 2
RE: User opinions - 12/24/2010 8:22:55 AM   
Curious

As far as I can tell so far, WitE is an amazing computer wargame and worth the slightly "hefty" price tag.  But what I would really like to know is what a "mungasso" is.  Google doesn't even know what it is. 

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 3
RE: User opinions - 12/24/2010 2:24:55 PM   
Klydon

I think it is worth it. The game is the best one I have seen for the Eastern Front by far.

There are a few things you can nit pick about as far as some of the air stuff, etc but that will get fixed as time goes along here. From what I have seen, they have had a terrific group of play testers and a excellent team to put this together.

Finally one thing that will help put it over the top is the design aspects, meaning that more and more scenarios will become available as the community makes them.

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 4
RE: User opinions - 12/24/2010 3:35:03 PM   
turska

Most awesome game. Easy to start, but there is always new layer of depth in the game mechanics waiting for you to find.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 5
RE: User opinions - 12/24/2010 8:30:55 PM   
sth1119

thanks for the feedback.
I am definitely intrigued. I hope to find some downtime after the holidays, pull the game down and get to work!
:-)

(in reply to turska)
Post #: 6
RE: User opinions - 12/24/2010 9:11:58 PM   
bairdlander2

Its worth it but Im finding its painfully realistic as the Axis.

(in reply to sth1119)
Post #: 7
RE: User opinions - 12/24/2010 10:40:08 PM   
buchand

I started out on Avalon Hill, still wish I had kept my coppy of SPI's "Drang Nach Osten" . then computer gaming and War in Russia was a real breakthrough, especially the ability to change the intial force deployment [hint!].
WITE is the next step using the processing and graphics power now available. It is a kreigspeil though and a real interest in the 41-45 conflict including supplies, produuction etc is needed to set it apart from the others.
Haing said that - set it to Easy and enjoy massive encirclements and show Halder how it should have been done
Whatever download it now and you won't regret it [though your partner might as you spend your life planning that next move that will confound Uncle Joes troops.

Plan? What plan? Attack!!

(in reply to sth1119)
Post #: 8
RE: User opinions - 12/25/2010 7:45:32 AM   
mantrain

quote:

Finally one thing that will help put it over the top is the design aspects, meaning that more and more scenarios will become available as the community makes them.

This is a really exciting prospect. Does this mean that community will be able to widen, or change the theater at all to include Balkans, Scandinavia, etc?

(in reply to turska)
Post #: 9
RE: User opinions - 12/25/2010 8:35:35 AM   
Redmarkus5

It's definitely worth the money. An excellent game and the best on this topic ever produced, IMO.

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 10
RE: User opinions - 12/25/2010 8:38:36 AM   
kfmiller41

"Its worth it but Im finding its painfully realistic as the Axis."

This statement should convince you to buy it for sure
I am playing the Russians in my first PBEM and it sure seems like they haven't got a chance right off, but it is exciting to see things slowly change over time. Best simulation of the Russian front I have seen. There are always things you might want to see done differently, but it is easy to get in to, but tough to master. Enough said

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 11
RE: User opinions - 12/25/2010 2:25:37 PM   
hgilmer3

This is one of the few recent titles that I have bought that did not require extensive patching after the initial offering.  The developers HAVE patched it, but there was no "game breaking" issues that I have seen in other recent titles I have bought.  I bought a game within the last year that I have completely set to the side because I just cannot play it and it has been patched extensively.  The people that developed it are good people, so I won't say who, but I just cannot play the game.

There have been absolutely no CTDs for me and as I said, I could play it "as is" for a very long time and not be disappointed.

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 12
RE: User opinions - 12/25/2010 5:41:29 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

*Phenomenal* game that will surely become classic.

It did take me some getting used to (and LOTS of reading veteran beta testers' posts on this forum), but even now in it's current state it's a definitive wargame about East Front.

It needs polishing through patches, though, but knowing Gary's team that should not be a problem.

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 13
RE: User opinions - 12/25/2010 10:38:45 PM   
OldSarge

If you're a fan of grand operations on the eastern front in any way shape or form, this is the game! I'm not saying this as a fan boy, this game doesn't need cheerleaders, it is the game that all of us old board gamers have been dreaming of for a very long time.

The game does require some polish, there are nits to pick, but the development team has been very proactive. I expect that this is a game that will be on my hard drives well into the future.

Is it worth it? For me, yes it is, I don't spend a lot of money on games but there are so few games that really drill down to the very real problems both sides faced. So far this game hasn't been a disappointment!

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to sth1119)
Post #: 14
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 1:09:35 PM   
Rasputitsa

So far, feeling quite good about it, wondering how much work and time it will take, don't want to play a game that becomes a micro-managing rule fest. Happy with the scenarios at the moment and expect that more will become available. Would like to move on the Grand Campaign, but have another life, so there must be a way to play at a manageable level.

(in reply to sth1119)
Post #: 15
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 3:22:39 PM   
colberki

Best computer wargame ever.  Waited 15 years for it!  Playing this game and its predecessor WIR is an important enjoyment in my life! Price of 80 dollars is nothing - its like 80 cents for what it is.

Gary - thanks for coming back to do this game for all your WIR fans.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 16
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 3:34:18 PM   
MrLongleg

This game is definitely worth the money - the developers did an incredible job. And I own all of Gary's title. I enjoyed World at War PBEM's for a long time...

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 17
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 3:44:00 PM   
jimkehn

Absolutely love the game. CAnt wait to get the manual printed at Staples. If u have ANY interest in the Eastern Front and love detail then this is definitely a buy. Like the guy above said, 80 bucks may as well be 80 cents in an enjoyment/cost ratio.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 18
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 4:04:14 PM   
Bradd

Couldn't agree more. It is an awesome game! The key is don't get frustrated by the manual. What is working for me is taking it one step at a time. I am worked on Combat first, then Logistics, and now the air model. For me it makes it much easier. I remember on some of the earlier posts people complained about the Bulge game price. I can tell you without a doubt this is worth the $80.00.

(in reply to jimkehn)
Post #: 19
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 5:18:07 PM   
Great_Ajax

You know, I never read the manual for several weeks after I started with the Alpha. Joel still tells me to RTFM. I don't get bogged down in the forumlas and micromanagement and I still have a good time playing and I do a fairly good job.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradd

Couldn't agree more. It is an awesome game! The key is don't get frustrated by the manual. What is working for me is taking it one step at a time. I am worked on Combat first, then Logistics, and now the air model. For me it makes it much easier. I remember on some of the earlier posts people complained about the Bulge game price. I can tell you without a doubt this is worth the $80.00.

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to Bradd)
Post #: 20
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 6:06:12 PM   
Bradd

Trey, ya hit the nail on the head. The key is have fun!

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 21
RE: User opinions - 12/26/2010 8:37:31 PM   
usecase

I'm hoping it'll be like WITP and enjoy years of enhancements. Though not perfect (and the developer's acknowledge this themselves - we're not talking Battlefront here ;) )It's the best Eastern front game I've played.

I prefer to play the Soviets - you really sense the Bear's jaws closing round the throat of the Axis armies. In June/July it looks hopeless...then gradually...it starts to tilt in your favour.

(in reply to Bradd)
Post #: 22
RE: User opinions - 12/27/2010 12:21:12 AM   
tide1527

The price is a little stiff but if you like info and a board game feel you know where your money went. The development team is working overtime trying to get things fixed and improved so this puppy could be the computer board game of the decade One of the best game buys I've made in a long time.

Tide

(in reply to usecase)
Post #: 23
RE: User opinions - 12/27/2010 12:27:54 AM   
bairdlander2

I've been playing about 4 hours a day for last 3 days,Axis GC,I was dreaming one of my corps Hq's leaders said to me "thanks for making my moves cuz I cant since Im dead" pretty weird dream.

(in reply to tide1527)
Post #: 24
RE: User opinions - 12/27/2010 4:31:12 AM   
SgtKachalin

Having gone against the AI through Minsk (as Germans), Leningrad (Germans & Soviets), and Typhoon (Germans), as well as starting pretty each of the scenarios at least a couple of times and playing the first 4 or 5 turns of the GC as both sides about half a dozen times let me say this: I still don't know how to play this game. Not literally true - it's a very easy game to pick up. But there is a LOT of meat to get into. Two recs: print and read the manual, and start scenarios and play a few turns focusing on various aspects - air, rail repair, command/supply, weather, support and leaders, etc, etc, etc. Flys in the face of winning as some areas get neglected, but by doing that rather than starting every game to win by trying to figure out everything at once I think I picked up things that I might have missed.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 25
RE: User opinions - 12/27/2010 7:09:02 AM   
parusski

Bulls eye. Stupendous and staggering in creativity and scope. I am actually playing the game more than I am working, which proves I have the mentality of a 7 year old.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to sth1119)
Post #: 26
RE: User opinions - 12/27/2010 11:11:12 AM   
Singleton Mosby

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

As for me, if collateral damage is any indicator, I've spent more on David Glantz books in the past few weeks then I've spent on the game. Inquiring minds want to know about The War in the East. Buy it if you are intrigued by the history of this time and place. The game will satisfy your itchings to get in there and try to do it yourself.

You should really read Thunder on the Dnepr: Zhukov-Stalin and the Defeat of Hitler's Blitzkrieg.

I bought the game on friday and are now playing my first GC as the Soviets (after working my way through the Tutorial), trying to implement Zhukov's plan. Having a blast even though I only understand 10% of the game's mechanics.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 27
RE: User opinions - 12/27/2010 1:30:30 PM   
Wild

I would say that this game is the definitive eastern front game.
I can see myself playing this beauty for a least a decade or two. When War in the West and War in the Med. are joined up with this game it will create an absolute masterpiece.

That being said, there are still a few issues(like the airwar) that need to be fine tuned, but the developers and playtesters have been fantastic, and i expect that support for this game will be rock solid.

Any serious wargamer that passes on this game is really missing out.

< Message edited by Wild -- 12/27/2010 1:32:30 PM >

(in reply to Singleton Mosby)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> User opinions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI