Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie question on capturing cities

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Newbie question on capturing cities Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie question on capturing cities - 12/31/2010 8:38:28 PM   
drizzt73

Hi all,

I am enjoying learning WITE and am currently in turn 8 og the road to Leningrad scenario after reading dlazov66 tutorial.

One thing I haven't worked out and cannot find in the manual is how you gain victory points for capturing cities. I currently have 5 of the objectives under my control but am not getting any victory points?

Any help appreciated

Post #: 1
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 12/31/2010 10:16:55 PM   
Grotius

Hi drizzt,

I haven't played that scenario, but my guess is that some cities don't earn you VPs until the end of the scenario. Sometimes you get credit per turn, some times only at scenario end. The victory screen should list which type of VP-credit is given for each city.

(in reply to drizzt73)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 12/31/2010 10:58:06 PM   
henri51

In that scenario the Germans don't get any victory points for objectives except for holding the objectives at the end of the game. The victory screen shows that under "EG" for "End of Game"). The other column (which is not zero for the soviets- I forgot the title) is victory points per turn, which are all zero for the Germans.

Henri

(in reply to drizzt73)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/1/2011 2:08:12 AM   
drizzt73

thanks guys

(in reply to drizzt73)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/1/2011 2:04:00 PM   
tgb

I asked this in the general forum but no one responded.  Does the city have to have a garrison, or is it just enough to have control of the hex?

(in reply to drizzt73)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/1/2011 5:12:46 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

I asked this in the general forum but no one responded.  Does the city have to have a garrison, or is it just enough to have control of the hex?

The city should have a garrison to prevent partisans in the region. Only cities need to be garrisoned to prevent partisans.

Henri

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/1/2011 5:37:17 PM   
tgb

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

The city should have a garrison to prevent partisans in the region. Only cities need to be garrisoned to prevent partisans.

Henri

I meant to get the victory points.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 7
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/3/2011 2:32:34 PM   
Encircled

No need to garrison them on that scenario to get the VP's

I'm assuming you have to if you are playing the GC though (not got that far in the manual!)

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 8
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/4/2011 10:46:15 PM   
mavraamides

I have a different question about taking cities:

What's the best way to maximize your assault against a well defended, heavy urban complex (ie, Lenningrad)?
1) Is Inf more effective than Armor (seems like it should be).
2) Does it help to have some nearby units set to reserve so they presumably have a chance to join in the assault or would it be better to keep them in ready state so after one assault, you could back out your front line and move in reserves for a second assault?
3) Is it best to assign Pioneers directly or let the HQ do that?
4) Is it better to alternate resting turns for your troops to recover or do you lose more by giving the defender more time to fortify.
5) Does bombing units and or cities help reduce fortification?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I always seem to run out of steam at just about NW Lenningrad and can never finish off those pesky Russians. I see defensive numbers like 8=80 and I just don't know how for the life of me I can ever wear down those troops in the 17 turns I have. Even if I can attack from 3 sides I have trouble mounting more than 120 CV's and that only works out to 1.5-1 which won't budge them.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 9
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/4/2011 10:54:37 PM   
Zovs

...these are just my opinions...

1) Is Inf more effective than Armor (seems like it should be).
YES!

2) Does it help to have some nearby units set to reserve so they presumably have a chance to join in the assault or would it be better to keep them in ready state so after one assault, you could back out your front line and move in reserves for a second assault?
It won't hurt to have several units in reserve, if the ones that do the deliberate attack have enough MP to move out and let the new ones in then that is fine. For me I never have enough units to have this type of luxury.

3) Is it best to assign Pioneers directly or let the HQ do that?
Both. I'd assign if possible engineers to the assaulting troops directly and also have some in the HQ if at all possible. Lots of artillery will help as well...

4) Is it better to alternate resting turns for your troops to recover or do you lose more by giving the defender more time to fortify.
I would rather cut them off for a turn or two prior to attacking the city directly, but if the city is lightly held then go for it.

5) Does bombing units and or cities help reduce fortification?
I usually only bomb units in 1943 and mostly as the Soviets.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 10
RE: Newbie question on capturing cities - 1/5/2011 12:32:49 AM   
mavraamides

@dlazov66

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm just getting ready to try my 4th attempt tonight!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Newbie question on capturing cities Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI