Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrieval...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrieval... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrieval... - 12/31/2010 1:56:54 PM   
cverbrug

Hello all,

I thought maybe it became time i open this thread. When searching the forum, (maybe it is me - but there's nowhere a manual) often you do not retrieve the posts which are there.

So when you search for example in a topic line for words X and Y, then the systems answers there are no such posts. (While you know for sure the posts exists).

So my two cents questions are:

1. Is the search function working properly (and then maybe someone could explain how to perform searches, which do retrieve the results'.
Or
2. The search function does not really work (and then the question is , can this be solved)

To be honest, after loosing so much time sometimes with searching and not finding any answers, it is sometimes simpler to ask the question again. And people then are happy to answer it again. Great, but isn't this a bit a waste of time of all of us.

I was posting this to find out if other people have the same experience in searching the forum for answers (which you know are there, but you simply can't get them retrieved out of the database)...

Happy New Year
Christophe
Post #: 1
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 12/31/2010 2:42:46 PM   
witpqs

I've switched to using google instead. Preface your search term with

site:matrixgames.com

and it will limit it's search to that (this) site.

(in reply to cverbrug)
Post #: 2
RE: searching the posts on this forum? - 12/31/2010 3:01:53 PM   
jwilkerson

You will be most successful with forum searches if you can limit your search. If I just search "wide open" I never get anything, but if I restrict my search as much as possible, then I am usually successful. The Google idea might work also, I haven't tried that one.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to cverbrug)
Post #: 3
RE: searching the posts on this forum? - 12/31/2010 3:49:00 PM   
LeeChard

I have to agree with cverbrug. I have tried searching for general terms that I know are in there and got the 'no results' at times. I'm referring to simple things like 'headquarters'
or 'replacements' for example. Other times it seems to work fine

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: searching the posts on this forum? - 12/31/2010 4:11:25 PM   
rev rico

Same for me. No matter what I search for I get NO RESULTS.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 5
RE: searching the posts on this forum? - 12/31/2010 4:58:53 PM   
seille

Yes, the forum search doesn´t work for me, too. Not long ago it worked well.
Why "recovering strength" should not give ANY results ?

(in reply to rev rico)
Post #: 6
RE: searching the posts on this forum? - 12/31/2010 5:37:23 PM   
topeverest

I must admit that I am not terribly successful in searches on the forum either.  I will use the advise from the mythical argleton conspirator

Andy M

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 7
RE: searching the posts on this forum? - 1/2/2011 12:10:11 PM   
cverbrug

Thanks for all these replies to confirm the experience I describe.

Maybe someone from Matrix( responsible for the search engine or so) could politely reply and respond how this could be solved?

Happy Newyear 2011
Christophe

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 8
RE: searching the posts on this forum? - 1/2/2011 12:24:03 PM   
michaelm75au

I sometimes find it difficult to get responses back from the search.
Most of the time I need to be precise in what I am looking for, which is a bit difficult in that I am not sure exactly what I am looking for.

Michael

(in reply to cverbrug)
Post #: 9
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 1/2/2011 2:43:02 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I suggest you guys try this instead of banging your heads against the wall with the built in search function. It works. And you can use all the flexibility of Google's search engine to make complex terms and narrow down results if you like.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 10
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 1/2/2011 7:55:06 PM   
d0mbo

It seems the search funtion on the forums has been changed? A while back I got results when searching (and the right one as well). Now..... nothing?!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 1/2/2011 8:43:14 PM   
Moss Orleni

quote:

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

It seems the search funtion on the forums has been changed? A while back I got results when searching (and the right one as well). Now..... nothing?!

Same thing for me... the only thing that seems to work is using the dedicated search screen and indicating 'less precise match'...

Cheers,

Moss

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 12
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 1/14/2011 4:41:27 PM   
BigDuke66

Is there a way to search a specific subforum?

(in reply to Moss Orleni)
Post #: 13
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 1/14/2011 6:26:31 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Is there a way to search a specific subforum?

Use Google. Preface your search with

and include

+"War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition"

or whatever sub-forum you want to search. Note at the top of the very page you are ready now they have:

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrieval...

To search just the Tech Support sub-forum make sure to include this:
+"War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support"

So if you wanted to find posts in Tech Support with the word "crash" in them, Google this:

site:matrixgames.com +"War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support" crash

Don't bother with the built-in search. Using Google works better. Hope this helps.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 14
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 6/6/2021 4:08:48 AM   
RangerJoe

Nice!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 15
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 6/6/2021 3:23:23 PM   
Nowi Ribak

thx a lot witpqs for the input, search with google works much better

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 6/7/2021 4:54:55 AM   
PaxMondo

Alfred is the absolute pro at using the site search engine. I'm just ok with it, but he is quite good. I also use google search as well and I am pretty familiar with that as well.

Pax

(in reply to Nowi Ribak)
Post #: 17
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 6/7/2021 6:22:13 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Alfred is the absolute pro at using the site search engine. I'm just ok with it, but he is quite good. I also use google search as well and I am pretty familiar with that as well.

He sure is. How I don't know because everthing negative said here is true for use mere mortals. However this has been going on for a long time and the search routines should have been looked at years ago.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 18
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 6/7/2021 11:34:45 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

He sure is. How I don't know because everthing negative said here is true for use mere mortals. However this has been going on for a long time and the search routines should have been looked at years ago.

As I understand it from discussion years ago, the Forum software is not a Matrix product - it is an off-the shelf product used on many sites and its features are rarely updated. Since most Forum sites have very limited discussion of posts over six months old, the need for a search engine that goes back farther is not pressing for the Forum software designers.

Consider that most commercial sites with a large amount of data probably still use tape silos to retain old data. Robots can retrieve the tapes fairly quickly and transfer data quickly but they need really good search parameters to find it on the tape. I have no idea how the tapes are indexed for content, other than a timeline.

This Forum does not seem to be able to find posts with two separate words, each put in quotes and joined by a + sign as a search parameter. It may be that my formatting is not correct, but I can find nothing to guide me on how to format a search on the site. Probably I am not looking in the right place, just like trying to find stuff in the manual that puts info in different sections than I would have chosen.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 19
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 9/23/2021 8:49:49 PM   
RangerJoe

Bump!

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 20
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 11/14/2021 3:37:35 AM   
RangerJoe

Bump again . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 21
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 11/19/2021 9:38:37 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

This Forum does not seem to be able to find posts with two separate words, each put in quotes and joined by a + sign as a search parameter. It may be that my formatting is not correct, but I can find nothing to guide me on how to format a search on the site. Probably I am not looking in the right place, just like trying to find stuff in the manual that puts info in different sections than I would have chosen.

I was directed here by Joe for a solution to make the forum search work, but I can not find the solution here. And I have the same problem as you BB Fanboy. This issue is age old I wonder if MG is looking into this...

RJ, can you explain us in detail how to make the internal forum search work, thanks And provide a screenshot perhaps that it works for you and which browser do you use ?

I do not want to use google etc.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 11/19/2021 9:45:09 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 22
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 11/19/2021 10:53:31 PM   
RangerJoe

I use DuckDuckgo.com (https://duckduckgo.com/) for searching.

Type in:

site:matrixgames.com +"War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition"

then:

+ "what you want to search for"

So to find "Emergency reinforcements" you would type in:

quote:

site:matrixgames.com +"War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition" + Emergency reinforcements

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Amatrixgames.com+%2B%22War+in+the+Pacific%3A+Admiral%27s+Edition+%2B+Emergency+reinforcements&t=ffab&ia=web

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 11/20/2021 11:31:58 AM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 23
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 11/20/2021 8:34:37 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Yes this is so much better than trying to use the Matrix search. Game changer really helps a lot!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 24
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 11/20/2021 9:20:35 AM   
Zovs

Yes I also concur. Searching via:

site:matrixgames.com + "War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition" "your search term"

Is just brilliant and works perfectly every time.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 25
RE: searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrie... - 11/20/2021 10:21:56 AM   
littleike

Display topics from last xxx days in the forum main page may affect the forum research

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> searching the posts on this forum? Erroneous retrieval... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI