Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Next quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Next quiz - 11/4/2010 4:18:06 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Lastly, the question was what was Asimov's "explanation" Although, all this expansion has kind of killed the joke I wanted to make, so Brian brian, feel free to hit with a trivia question.

Well, considering it was Asimov, I'll guess aliens with a strange sense of humor, or possibly time travellers from the future.

Paul

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 1771
RE: Next quiz - 11/4/2010 8:03:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I always thought it somewhat morbidly amusing that the mutual destruction outcome of the Sydney vs Kormoran is impossible to actually get in Wif........

Warspite1

But it was such a freak result, I would have thought that you would not need that as a possible outcome in WIF with its two month turns - maybe in a tactical naval game yes.

Probably best not to think too much about the fate of Sydney's crew (those that survived the carnage of Kormoran's close range attack anyway). After one torpedo, 500 150mm rounds plus whole manner of other hits from the 20mm and 37mm guns of the German ship, one can only imagine the horror scene on board Sydney as she limped away at 5 knots from the battle, into the night, ablaze from bow to stern and sinking slowly from the bow. With the Captain and many senior officers dead, thanks to a direct hit on the bridge, the furious, but ultimately futile effort, that must have been applied to bring her fires under control, the sailors working in the dark and with most, if not all, of the ship's power gone.

Ultimately (according to some of Kormoran's crew) there was a huge explosion many hours later that was seen in the distance; probably the result of her magazines igniting. No doubt many men evacuated the ship once hope of saving the cruiser was gone, but they were never to be picked up...

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1772
RE: Next quiz - 11/4/2010 5:17:00 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Lastly, the question was what was Asimov's "explanation" Although, all this expansion has kind of killed the joke I wanted to make, so Brian brian, feel free to hit with a trivia question.

Well, considering it was Asimov, I'll guess aliens with a strange sense of humor, or possibly time travellers from the future.

Specifically, a time traveler studying WW2 for a project, and leaving his mark so his peers would know what he researched first hand.

(Told you it was a stupid question)

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1773
RE: Next quiz - 11/4/2010 8:13:03 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Specifically, a time traveler studying WW2 for a project, and leaving his mark so his peers would know what he researched first hand.

Awesome question.

Now I just need to find out how to be accepted to the time traveler school so I can study WWII first hand.

Orm was here sounds kind of nice. Now I need to ponder on some locations where to scribble that.

< Message edited by Orm -- 11/4/2010 8:14:09 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 1774
RE: Next quiz - 11/5/2010 3:04:17 AM   
brian brian

don't you folks watch the news? obviously the first successful time machine will drop you on to the set of a Charlie Chaplin movie. the good news is, your cell phone will still have reception!

otherwise, be careful what you wish for there Orm. would you really like to see the Barikady Tractor Factory first hand?

recently at the library book sale I picked up a self-pulished first-hand WWII memoir written by what turned out to be a battalion messenger runner in the US 84th Infantry division. it wasn't that exciting to read a never ending set of "that night we got lucky and there was actually straw in the barn we selected to sleep in. much better than sleeping on potatoes!" but it leads me to a question.

what did yer average GI Joe call average German artillery fire?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1775
RE: Next quiz - 11/5/2010 9:11:08 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Awesome question.

Now I just need to find out how to be accepted to the time traveler school so I can study WWII first hand.

Orm was here sounds kind of nice. Now I need to ponder on some locations where to scribble that.

Reminds me of the old R&D rag: "the boss wants a time machine built, and he wants it yesterday"

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1776
RE: Next quiz - 11/16/2010 7:59:01 PM   
paulderynck

What was the final German High Command name for the operation the Allies called: "The Battle of the Bulge"?

Paul

Post #: 1777
RE: Next quiz - 11/16/2010 8:26:46 PM   
Sewerlobster

quote:

What was the final German High Command name for the operation the Allies called: "The Battle of the Bulge"?

Wacht am Rhein. I used to play a wargame with that name.

Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.

Post #: 1778
RE: Next quiz - 11/16/2010 9:09:29 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: SewerStarFish

quote:

As did I. It was well done and very enjoyable, but the Germans couldn't win without bad play by the Allies.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 1779
RE: Next quiz - 11/16/2010 10:04:31 PM   
patchogue

Obviously a very realistic simulation!

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1780
RE: Next quiz - 11/17/2010 12:02:44 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

Incorrect ! It was called that to start with, but the name was changed.

...anyone else want to guess?

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/17/2010 9:13:24 PM >

Paul

Post #: 1781
RE: Next quiz - 11/18/2010 2:59:04 PM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wasn't it Autumn Mist?

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 1782
RE: Next quiz - 11/18/2010 10:17:46 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wasn't it Autumn Mist?

Cheers, Neilster

Correct !!!

In German: Herbstnebel

EDIT: Frankly I think Wacht am Rhein is a much better name...

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/18/2010 10:19:53 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1783
RE: Next quiz - 11/18/2010 10:32:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wasn't it Autumn Mist?

Cheers, Neilster

Correct !!!

In German: Herbstnebel

EDIT: Frankly I think Wacht am Rhein is a much better name...

Warspite1

Why would they have called it Autumn Mist given the Battle of the Bulge started on the 16th December? Shouldn't that be Winter Mist?

Post #: 1784
RE: Next quiz - 11/19/2010 2:52:12 AM   
paulderynck

You'll have to ask the 1944 German High Command.

OTOH which Battle of the Bulge game maps have you seen that had any portion of the Rhein river shown on them?

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/19/2010 2:53:45 AM >

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1785
RE: Next quiz - 11/19/2010 6:17:50 AM   
warspite1

quote:

OTOH which Battle of the Bulge game maps have you seen that had any portion of the Rhein river shown on them?

Warspite1

Yes, but remember, the whole point of naming the operation Wacht Am Rhein (Watch on the Rhine) was to deceive the Allies into thinking that the large build up of troops west of the Rhine was a defensive measure to stop the river being taken by the Allies.

Maybe the re-naming to Autumn Mist was designed to decieve the Allies into thinking that if there was to be a forthcoming German offensive in that sector, it was to take place in Autumn 1945

Interesting question though - I'd never heard of the operation's name change until now.

Post #: 1786
RE: Next quiz - 11/19/2010 1:54:25 PM   
Extraneous

To avoid having this site shut down.

I would suggest everyone post his or her references from now on.

Because Web Censorship Bill Sails Through Senate Committee

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1787
RE: Next quiz - 11/19/2010 4:19:56 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

Is this site in the USA? or Aussie Land?

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 1788
RE: Next quiz - 11/19/2010 6:27:27 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Is this site in the USA? or Aussie Land?

The physical location of the servers is in Colorado.

Steve

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 1789
RE: Next quiz - 11/19/2010 9:40:56 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Sounds paranoid to me. As an example, say I read a book and find an interesting piece of trivia that relates to the subject material on this site. I reword the info into a question that someone eventually answers. Whether they knew the answer because they read the same source, or researched it otherwise, or whatever, what copyright is violated?

If we meet for a drink in a bar and you inform me of a piece of trivia (that you learnt somewhere along in your life, somehow), that I never knew, and then I post it here in Q&A format, will you claim your copyright got violated? Or should you be accused of violating the copyright on the original knowledge that you can no longer remember how you acquired?

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 1790
RE: Next quiz - 11/20/2010 1:12:55 PM   
Sewerlobster

quote:

Why would they have called it Autumn Mist given the Battle of the Bulge started on the 16th December? Shouldn't that be Winter Mist?

Winter doesn't start until 21-22 December (northern hemisphere,of course), and you know how the Germans are about time, train schedules and calendars.

< Message edited by SewerStarFish -- 11/20/2010 1:14:44 PM >

Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1791
RE: Next quiz - 11/20/2010 2:20:12 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

Sounds paranoid to me. As an example, say I read a book and find an interesting piece of trivia that relates to the subject material on this site. I reword the info into a question that someone eventually answers. Whether they knew the answer because they read the same source, or researched it otherwise, or whatever, what copyright is violated?

If we meet for a drink in a bar and you inform me of a piece of trivia (that you learnt somewhere along in your life, somehow), that I never knew, and then I post it here in Q&A format, will you claim your copyright got violated? Or should you be accused of violating the copyright on the original knowledge that you can no longer remember how you acquired?

Paranoid?

I used to paint lead miniatures. The U.S. government banned lead miniatures. They said they were afraid the children would try and eat the pretty painted miniatures. Now miniatures have to be made of pewter.

I remember when there was such a thing as “War Games” this was considered to be too violent a term so now we have “Adventure Games”.

Perhaps you missed the million + dollars fine the U.S. government accessed against the woman for downloading about 20 songs on the Internet?

You are taking the position that posting on the Internet is the equivalent to common conversation just as it was initially intended, a free and uncensored exchange of information.

But times have changed. Now there is Internet commerce and advertising and the government wants to tax and control it.

The U.S. government is taking the position that any posting on the Internet is the same as publishing a book, newspaper or equivalent and therefore subject to copyright laws.

If you haven’t had dealings with government (any government) when you do you will find out any law, bill or regulation passed by that government soon will be abused.

When this bill passes you will have a group of government drones surfing the Internet trying to justify their paychecks by shutting down Internet sites.

“Government governs best when it governs least.” - Thomas Jefferson

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 1792
RE: Next quiz - 11/20/2010 8:12:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Winter doesn't start until 21-22 December (northern hemisphere,of course), and you know how the Germans are about time, train schedules and calendars.

Oh. Thanks for the explanation.

Steve

Post #: 1793
RE: Next quiz - 12/31/2010 12:01:44 PM   
Extraneous

Name one of the Japanese aircraft carriers operated by the Japanese ARMY.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1794
RE: Next quiz - 1/1/2011 4:33:58 PM   
Extraneous

In the United States Navy and Marines being “under arms” doesn’t necessarily mean you are carrying a weapon. To be “under arms” all that is required is to be wearing a pistol or rifle belt, which requires the individual to be covered (wearing proper head gear). If you watch movies or TV you will notice Marine/Navy guards “under arms” with out weapons.

What are Marine/Navy personnel who are “under arms” required to do indoors that is not required by Marine/Navy personnel who are indoors and not under arms?

United States Army personnel are required to do this indoors whether they are “under arms’ or not.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 1795
RE: Next quiz - 1/1/2011 9:30:26 PM   
Orm

quote:

In the United States Navy and Marines being “under arms” doesn’t necessarily mean you are carrying a weapon. To be “under arms” all that is required is to be wearing a pistol or rifle belt, which requires the individual to be covered (wearing proper head gear). If you watch movies or TV you will notice Marine/Navy guards “under arms” with out weapons.

What are Marine/Navy personnel who are “under arms” required to do indoors that is not required by Marine/Navy personnel who are indoors and not under arms?

United States Army personnel are required to do this indoors whether they are “under arms’ or not.

Salute?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 1796
RE: Next quiz - 1/2/2011 3:34:11 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Salute?

Correct

US Marines/Navy personel do not salute when indoors unless they are under arms.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1797
RE: Next quiz - 1/3/2011 4:05:37 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

Clue: the link is found under "For the Purists" thread

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 1798
RE: Next quiz - 1/4/2011 1:48:06 PM   
Rijssiej

quote:

quote:

Akitsu Maru and Nigitsu Maru. Note that they had no capability to land aircraft.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 1799
RE: Next quiz - 1/4/2011 10:23:34 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rijssiej

quote:

quote:

Akitsu Maru and Nigitsu Maru. Note that they had no capability to land aircraft.

Correct

But what about the Autogyros? They could land

(in reply to Rijssiej)
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI