Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command Points Vs Command Capacity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Command Points Vs Command Capacity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:06:41 PM   
janbak

In the manual a read

quote:

p. 319
CP (Command Points): This number is the difference between the number of command points
of combat units attached to the HQ unit and the HQ unit’s Command Capacity (CC) (7.6.2). A
negative number indicates that the number of command points of the units attached exceeds
the HQ units CC.

quote:

p.22
Command Capacity (CC): A numerical rating, expressed in command points, which delineates
the number of combat units that can be attached to a headquarters unit without affecting its
performance. If this normal capacity is exceeded, the leader of the headquarters unit will suffer
penalties when conducting leader checks.

Does it mean that I need to avoid to have negative values in the CP columns (HQ sheet) of the Commander Report?

For example, starting the Road to Minsk scenario I see that the Army Group Center has a CP value of -39 (!!!) ... does it mean that I need to correct that immediatly detaching units from AGC and attching them to AGN?

Thx

Post #: 1
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:08:11 PM   
ComradeP

You should primarily try to avoid negative numbers for corps and army commands, you can barely prevent AGC and especially AGS from being overloaded, especially in short scenarios.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to janbak)
Post #: 2
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:15:02 PM   
janbak

Thank you very much for yr reply ComradeP ;)

... but it is not clear to me what's yr suggestion about the beginning of the Road to Minsk scenario :(

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 3
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:17:28 PM   
janbak

I've tried to detach some units from the AGC and attach them to the AGN but it seems that it is not possible :(

(in reply to janbak)
Post #: 4
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:19:05 PM   
ComradeP

For a really short scenario like Road to Minsk, you have neither the AP's nor the other HQ's to assign units to in order to make sure AGC isn't overloaded, so I wouldn't worry about that. 4th Army starts overloaded, but that's a minor issue for a scenario of this size. You could reassign two divisions.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to janbak)
Post #: 5
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:19:36 PM   
karonagames

In short games, being overburdened has negligible impact; over a 200+ turn campaign there will be a noticeably difference to overall performance if you reduce over-burdening HQs, but you can compensate to a degree by putting better generals in these HQs.

It's only a Game

(in reply to janbak)
Post #: 6
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:28:02 PM   
janbak

Thank you all ;)

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 7
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:36:17 PM   
FredSanford3

Is it fair to say that if you're going to have to overload someone, it's better to go higher up?  i.e. one overloaded AG HQ is better than 2 overloaded army HQ's, which is better than 6 overloaded corp HQ's (assuming equal leaders).

Also, this is a 'gamey' observation, but was curious- What's to prevent a player from attaching a bunch of divisions to OKH/STAVKA and using them as uber-corps?  Especially if SU's are locked.

(in reply to janbak)
Post #: 8
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:40:08 PM   
ComradeP

The divisions attached to OKH/STAVKA would have only one chance of making their checks and you'd have to keep OKH/STAVKA near the frontline. Not a good idea. I attach armies to STAVKA and sometimes armies or corps to OKH, but not divisions.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 9
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:49:25 PM   
FredSanford3

But if you put your best leader at OKH/STAVKA, you can mitigate the die roll effect, and if it gets displaced, well, it gets displaced. That's the risk with any HQ.

IMO, these two HQ's should be hampered in some manner to prevent them from acting like corp HQ's. Perhaps they should be immobile, except perhaps by rail. Did these HQ's really have the mobility IRL they have in the game? How many times did STAVKA HQ move IRL? Never?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 10
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:55:48 PM   
gradenko2k

quote:

IMO, these two HQ's should be hampered in some manner to prevent them from acting like corp HQ's.

Unless I'm mistaken, they're already hampered in that the required roll becomes higher and higher as you up in the OOB. Since the rating of the general remains the same, his contribution becomes proportionately less as the bucket gets (dis)proportionately larger and larger.

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 11
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 2:57:57 PM   
ComradeP

I don't really see the benefit of using OKH/STAVKA as a corps HQ. If it gets pocketed, a large part of your C&C system will collapse.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 12
RE: Command Points Vs Command Capacity - 1/5/2011 3:38:37 PM   
vinnie71

I have used Army Group commands as surrogate army commands for the Axis especially in 2 particular cases. One is up north when I remove 4 Panzer Army but leave 1 panzer corps in the area which would overload the 16 or 18 armies. Secondly is down south by attaching 1 German corps and the Romanian XI and Mountain Corps for the Crimea to Army Group Antonescu (which would be useless otherwise...).

On the other hand, using OKH as corps command never really worked well 

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Command Points Vs Command Capacity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI