Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 2:52:28 PM   
Terminus

Have any Axis players ever tried bypassing the Crimea in the 1941-45 campaign? The exits from the peninsula are so narrow that they can be held with relatively few troops, and the main front needs every single soldier it can get.

Just wondering. In my current game, it's too late in the year to withdraw 11th Army from the Crimea (I thought of it too late), but the whole front is desperately short of reserves...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Post #: 1
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 2:56:13 PM   
ComradeP

I guess you could try not to take it, especially given how easy it is for the Soviets to defend. They can create some good stacks in the entry hexes before you can get there. You'll miss out on some resources in Kerch and you might face an amphibious landing, but otherwise there's little point in-game to take it if the Soviets want to keep it. Just like the Soviets can block you from coming in, you can fairly easily block them from coming out.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 2:59:14 PM   
bwheatley

You could leave it empty but as i just found out you can put a lot of bombers there and still reach polesti. :)
That can be a pita to defend every turn. Easier just to clear out the crimea?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 3
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:01:36 PM   
ComradeP

It's currently mostly a problem due to strategic bombing being broken. You should be able to agree to a no strategic bombing houserule with your opponent until it has been fixed, especially as the Axis can quickly cripple a large part of the Soviet production capabilities fairly easily currently.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 4
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:04:39 PM   
Terminus

I'm not necessarily proposing leaving it aside permanently, just for the first campaign season (and winter).

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:04:57 PM   
bwheatley

Oh it's broken....jesus well there goes that reason to hold the crimea.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 6
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:05:29 PM   
bwheatley

Whats broken with strategic air comrade? Not enough intercepts or something? or too much damage?

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 7
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:09:59 PM   
Klydon

Yeah, I have been considering screening off the Crimea as well. Figure its going to take an army to take it at least and some time. After that, the garrison requirements are not light either if you are trying to watch for amphibious invasions. I also thought about the Russian air as well trying to bomb the crap out of the German oil in response to such a strategy. This well may come down to how the air war works out. Overall, I think there is a lot to recommend in skipping it. 

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 8
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:11:21 PM   
bwheatley

It's very frustrating that they released the game knowing it's broken. Who'd want to do any strategic air stuff?? Nobody let's just leave it busted. Yes i'm only venting yes the game is amazing. But i paid my almost $100 bucks and would gladly do it again but nobody should deny that it is frustrating. At least compared to paradox the game came out 95% functional and manual accurate. :)

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 9
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:20:09 PM   
ComradeP

Strategic bombing wasn't really tested after the latest air changes, we only stumbled into how broken it was recently when debating whether factories should indeed automatically "repair" damage above 50 when moved by rail in their entirety.

First the air war was broken due to too many losses, now it's broken because there are hardly any. Keep in mind that the air model has been set in stone for a long time and the focus was on other parts of the game. People like Pavel were not happy with it, but little could be done pre-release due to it being set in stone early on. It will get better over time, although I agree that it's frustrating in a large number of ways.

As to how strategic bombing is broken: CAP doesn't really seem to do much of anything currently, neither does AA fire and the damage to factories is way too high. In 1941, bombing Ploesti has only a small effect on the Axis fuel situation, by the way, that was tested, but the effects will probably increase over time and as fuel becomes more of a problem for the Axis.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 10
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:33:34 PM   
Q-Ball

I didn't think about the Strategic Bombing aspect; that would make it more of a must-take.

Waiting until 1942 doesn't seem like a great idea either, because a couple Rifle Corps dug-in behind lvl 4 forts are just about impossible to beat back, leaving the Soviets permanently there.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 11
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 3:42:19 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Strategic bombing wasn't really tested after the latest air changes, we only stumbled into how broken it was recently when debating whether factories should indeed automatically "repair" damage above 50 when moved by rail in their entirety.

First the air war was broken due to too many losses, now it's broken because there are hardly any. Keep in mind that the air model has been set in stone for a long time and the focus was on other parts of the game. People like Pavel were not happy with it, but little could be done pre-release due to it being set in stone early on. It will get better over time, although I agree that it's frustrating in a large number of ways.

As to how strategic bombing is broken: CAP doesn't really seem to do much of anything currently, neither does AA fire and the damage to factories is way too high. In 1941, bombing Ploesti has only a small effect on the Axis fuel situation, by the way, that was tested, but the effects will probably increase over time and as fuel becomes more of a problem for the Axis.

Yea i'll play through it i have faith 2by3 will make it right. They always do.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 12
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:07:14 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I didn't think about the Strategic Bombing aspect; that would make it more of a must-take.

Waiting until 1942 doesn't seem like a great idea either, because a couple Rifle Corps dug-in behind lvl 4 forts are just about impossible to beat back, leaving the Soviets permanently there.

So? If the Axis counterair campaign is effective, the Soviet air force won't have much to fly strategic bombing with, and if my panzers are busy achieving operational freedom in his rear areas, I'll take a turn or two of (non-broken) strategic bombing on Ploesti and environs.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 13
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:14:00 PM   
ComradeP

Not to mention that the level bombers they base in the Crimea won't be supplying partisans. With more functional air to air combat/interceptions and air base bombings, I don't think the Soviets will be staging their own strategic bombing offensive from the Crimea.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:32:33 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: bwheatley

It's very frustrating that they released the game knowing it's broken. Who'd want to do any strategic air stuff?? Nobody let's just leave it busted. Yes i'm only venting yes the game is amazing. But i paid my almost $100 bucks and would gladly do it again but nobody should deny that it is frustrating. At least compared to paradox the game came out 95% functional and manual accurate. :)

I respect your right to vent , but that simply is not true. If you checked the previous threads you will find that that particular bug was only detected and confirmed a couple of weeks ago.

Back when I was still working for a living, there were a couple of rules-of-thumb for testing really massive data processing systems (massive then meant about the size of WitP now, I'm a fossil )
1) the first hour of live data will exhibit more bugs than were found in the previous year of testing (a matter of limited test cases)
2) the last detected bug will be logged one hour before the system is scrapped and replaced

< Message edited by pompack -- 1/9/2011 4:33:15 PM >

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 15
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:38:32 PM   
Smirfy

As a side note the reason Hitler gave Guderian for turning him south to Kiev in 41 was the air threat from the Crimea to Polesti describing it as "That Soviet aircraft carrier for attacking the roumanian oilfields" (Panzer Leader page 200) so the Hitler took the threat from the Crimea quite seriously. I guess he was worried that there was every likely hood the Russians would invite Bomber Command to base there also.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 16
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:50:20 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

I respect your right to vent , but that simply is not true. If you checked the previous threads you will find that that particular bug was only detected and confirmed a couple of weeks ago.

Back when I was still working for a living, there were a couple of rules-of-thumb for testing really massive data processing systems (massive then meant about the size of WitP now, I'm a fossil )
1) the first hour of live data will exhibit more bugs than were found in the previous year of testing (a matter of limited test cases)
2) the last detected bug will be logged one hour before the system is scrapped and replaced

And let's ram a stake through that one immediately, since outright lies like that have an evil way of becoming true on Internet fora: this game was NOT released containing a knowingly broken strategic air model.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 17
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:50:32 PM   
Klydon

The Soviets basically have 4 planes that can make the trip. PE-8, IL-4, TB-3, and DB-3B.

Considering that TB-3's are no longer in production and are basically used for transport, it would be nuts to try to use them for bombing there. There are no operational groups of PE-8's to start the game with and with a production value of 1, there are never going to be very many. DB-3B's are obsolete and not in production. IL-4's are the best aircraft the Soviets could mount an offensive with and they have fair production, but considering the range of other aircraft available to the Soviets, they would be wise to conserve as many of these aircraft as possible in the early going because they are going to be needed later.

IF the air system is working correctly, then I would think a couple of units of ME-109's would quickly wear out any desire of the Russians to bomb in Rumania AND also if air field bombing would somewhat work as well, I would see the Luftwaffe launching bomber raids against any airbases in the Crimea trying to launch attacks on Rumania.

Basically, it would tie up some Luftwaffe assets in compensation for conserving troops elsewhere. It is something the Axis must weigh the pro's and con's of in a grand campaign game.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 18
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:56:03 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

quote:

What is simply not true? I know they knew air was busted before ever releasing the game. Nothing not true about that. Perhaps you misunderstood what i was saying. Being a programmer i understand the nature of it. I understand bugs i understand qa testing. I understand it happens. But the point remains it is still frustrating even knowing exactly how it all works. :)

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 19
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:58:13 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

quote:

And let's ram a stake through that one immediately, since outright lies like that have an evil way of becoming true on Internet fora: this game was NOT released containing a knowingly broken strategic air model.

The game was most certainly released knowing air was not working right. To paraphrase a tester: The air system was finished years ago and since then it's mostly been focused on ground. We know there are issues with it. :) read threads by the testers. But that said it's just the nature of the beast. And it's still a great game. And venting about it helps get through it. Especially knowing they will

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 4:59:54 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

The Soviets basically have 4 planes that can make the trip. PE-8, IL-4, TB-3, and DB-3B.

Considering that TB-3's are no longer in production and are basically used for transport, it would be nuts to try to use them for bombing there. There are no operational groups of PE-8's to start the game with and with a production value of 1, there are never going to be very many. DB-3B's are obsolete and not in production. IL-4's are the best aircraft the Soviets could mount an offensive with and they have fair production, but considering the range of other aircraft available to the Soviets, they would be wise to conserve as many of these aircraft as possible in the early going because they are going to be needed later.

IF the air system is working correctly, then I would think a couple of units of ME-109's would quickly wear out any desire of the Russians to bomb in Rumania AND also if air field bombing would somewhat work as well, I would see the Luftwaffe launching bomber raids against any airbases in the Crimea trying to launch attacks on Rumania.

Basically, it would tie up some Luftwaffe assets in compensation for conserving troops elsewhere. It is something the Axis must weigh the pro's and con's of in a grand campaign game.

+1 yea i'd probably launch 1 try at a sneak attack on polesti. Just to see if the german player was keeping cap over the oil resources. It would be an attack similar to the doolittle raid over japan. Very little actual damage would be done but it would help keep the german player on guard.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 21
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 5:03:23 PM   
ComradeP

We knew the air war wasn't ideal, but the majority of the bugs/issues that have been popping up were somewhat unexpected due to the limited time to test the latest changes. The air war was quite different just a few weeks before release.

Even with my passionate statements and the equally passionate statements of others about parts of the game, the developers did not release a knowingly broken game. As you can read in posts by Joel, they're aware of the games current shortcomings and are constantly trying to improve the game. Pavel, Gary and other supporting staff are finalizing bug fixes at astonishing rates.

2by3 isn't the kind of developer that sells you a knowingly broken game, takes your money and completely ignores customer support. They're aware of the issues and are working on improving numerous areas of the game. Considering what has been achieved since release or how the game became more and more polished in the few months I've tested it, the future looks bright.

As pompack already implied, "new and exciting" bugs were discovered within days. With around or so dozen or so guys+a lady, you can't cover everything.

Many of the bugs, like many great inventions, were noticed through sheer coincidence, as I described in my example that we noticed the issues with strategic bombing due to verifying a completely unrelated event.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/9/2011 5:06:09 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 22
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 5:05:31 PM   
Ametysth

In real life Soviets bypassed Crimea in November 1943. They claimed it was biggest and best POW camp in the world; Prisoners fed and clothed themselves and when they got leave, they came back. They only assaulted it in April 1944.

I don't think the same can be true with Germans as Crimea can be reached from across Kerch Straight. When German player can't secure this crossing it leaves his entire rear exposed against assault from Crimea.

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 23
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 5:11:41 PM   
ComradeP

Soviet reinforcements are difficult to bring into the area, as they can't be railed there in one turn. They have to be moved to the Kerch Strait, cross it and get on a train again or become fatiqued moving to the front, so it takes at least 2 or 3 turns to get a unit there. It's much easier to reinforce for the Axis, and as stated the narrow entry points work both ways: it's as difficult to break in as it is to break out. One hex is a swamp hex across a major river, another hex is a clear hex across a major river so that leaves the Perekop peninsula which can only be attacked from 1 hex.

I'd be pretty happy if the Soviets move a front there, as most of those divisions are wasted until a breakthrough can be made and even then a breakthrough is going to be difficult to sustain.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/9/2011 5:12:18 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Ametysth)
Post #: 24
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 5:24:19 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

We knew the air war wasn't ideal, but the majority of the bugs/issues that have been popping up were somewhat unexpected due to the limited time to test the latest changes. The air war was quite different just a few weeks before release.

Even with my passionate statements and the equally passionate statements of others about parts of the game, the developers did not release a knowingly broken game. As you can read in posts by Joel, they're aware of the games current shortcomings and are constantly trying to improve the game. Pavel, Gary and other supporting staff are finalizing bug fixes at astonishing rates.

2by3 isn't the kind of developer that sells you a knowingly broken game, takes your money and completely ignores customer support. They're aware of the issues and are working on improving numerous areas of the game. Considering what has been achieved since release or how the game became more and more polished in the few months I've tested it, the future looks bright.

As pompack already implied, "new and exciting" bugs were discovered within days. With around or so dozen or so guys+a lady, you can't cover everything.

Many of the bugs, like many great inventions, were noticed through sheer coincidence, as I described in my example that we noticed the issues with strategic bombing due to verifying a completely unrelated event.

Ok let me replace the word knowingly broken with "wasn't ideal". :) My point is still valid and was people knew it wasn't ideal when the game was launched. And that's fine but for someone to come through and say no the air war was fine at launch is hogwash.
Yea bugs happen all the time i could regale you with stories of the weirdest bugs that we would rake our brains for weeks sometimes trying to see how they manifested themselves much less how we resolved them.

Like all matrix games and all 2by3 games i know it will get resolved in the end.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 25
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 5:28:35 PM   
bwheatley

One reason i can think of that the germans would want to take it is specifically since you should be able to move units across the kerch strait towards the oil at baku. Or is that not the case.
It's probably not really feasible but any good soviet player is going to devote a few divisions to securing the eastern side of the straights.

But we're not that far in yet. I'm trying to reserve most judgement until we finish our first GC. At turn 10 now the rail line to leningrad is cut far east and kiev has just been evacuated to avoid getting cut off from the rear. I have about 12 divisions blocking all the entries to the crimea in almost level 4 forts. Along with some rear guard units to guard against any german amphib attacks into the crimea.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 26
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 5:29:42 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

And that's fine but for someone to come through and say no the air war was fine at launch is hogwash.

That's why nobody is officially telling you that the air war was completely functional at release in the way it was envisioned it should work. We, developers and testers, acknowledge the problems, but like I said: we were not aware of all them until they manifested themselves post-release.

quote:

One reason i can think of that the germans would want to take it is specifically since you should be able to move units across the kerch strait towards the oil at baku. Or is that not the case.

It's highly doubtful the Axis can use it as a staging area for such a move. Too many swamps and mountains in the way. The quickest and most convenient approach to Baku is an approach from the north, where the terrain's virtually flat as a pancake, not from the west through swamps and mountains.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/9/2011 5:31:04 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 27
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 5:47:32 PM   
Terminus

You know what "bwheatley", you can quit your highjacking of my thread. Start your own whine-athon somewhere else.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 28
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 6:26:29 PM   
KenchiSulla

If you are planning on taking the Crimea, I would try to get it the first summer. If you let the Soviets entrench to much you will have a thorn in your flank for as long as you fight east of it...

< Message edited by Cannonfodder -- 1/9/2011 6:27:10 PM >

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29
RE: Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! - 1/9/2011 7:01:54 PM   
Klydon

Part of the issue with the Crimea from a game standpoint is there were a lot of political issues involved that are difficult to represent in game terms.

Hitler considered the Crimea very important from a political standpoint of view both in attacking there and also defending it. The politics were considered to have an effect on Turkey and also Rumania. (I have seen books mention the Rumanian leadership considered the Crimea to be important as they were concerned about bombing attacks from there, etc). Be difficult to represent in game terms, especially with Turkey since there is no chance they will enter the war. For Rumania, I don't know if bumping their national moral by a couple of points would be a good incentive to have the Axis consider a Crimean campaign or not. Right now, the Axis simply do not have a big reason to commit the Army it would take to conquer the Crimea against a Russian who puts even moderate effort into holding it. The Axis would then have quite a bit of extra coast to defend against Russian naval invasions.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Crimea? We don't need no schtinkin' Crimea! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI