Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Editor tech levels not updating-1501

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game Editor tech levels not updating-1501 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Editor tech levels not updating-1501 - 1/11/2011 6:53:34 PM   
frugaldude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

ok, cannot test further as the editor seems to be broken on one particular feature and if anyone could do a quick test to confirm it i'd be gratefull
just create a game with more than one empire, then go in the editor and change the tech level for anyone of them...at this point the exact same setting should be set for every empire not just for the one you modified

As per Data's observation, any movement of the tech level slider is replicated through all the races' tech screens.
I also observed that the slider setting is also replicated to its last setting when starting a new game or loading a game. It will remain at the latest setting until completely exiting the game. After DW is started again the slider will be reset to the "starting" position.
Also, starting or continuing a game with various tech levels is not reflected in the editor.

Further testing revealed the "Apply New Tech Level" button appears to be working properly.
I checked my research screen after changing the slider only and there was no change to my tech tree. I then used the "Apply New Tech Level" button and my tech tree was updated to the appropriate research levels.

I then "applied" a different tech level to another race. This did not change my tech tree. I don't have the tools to easily see whether this other race (or any other race) was actually changed but assume it was as it worked properly with my race. My purpose here was to ensure 'applied" changes were not replicated.
Post #: 1
RE: Game Editor tech levels not updating-1501 - 1/11/2011 7:55:52 PM   
Data

i've redone the tests and it seems that even the "Apply New Tech Level" button does not completly work, here are the steps i followed

2) in the editor changed the tech level for me to 4 and hit apply

3) checked the level for the other race, also 4 (it was starting at the begining, just like me) then changed to 6 and hit apply

4) back to me, now i had level 6

5) redone the above steps only this time I exited the editor and saved the changes after each modification; no effect

Each time what you set for one empire (with or without applying, with or without saving) is set to the other one as well
Mind you, as frugaldude noticed, the actual tech tree does reflect your changes so I also suspect it does the same for the other race. But the slider does not adjust. So the slider for me shows level 4 but the tech tree is set correctly to level 1.

< Message edited by Data -- 1/11/2011 7:57:32 PM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to frugaldude)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Editor tech levels not updating-1501 - 1/11/2011 8:08:19 PM   
Data

i think i can confirm that the setting for the actual tech tree for the other race is not applied also

i used a test on the trace scanner / scanner jammer techs, more details here -> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2684525&mpage=1?

bottomline, if the other race truly was at level 7 and I at level 1 (which I know for sure as I can check the tech tree) then my 10 power trace scanner could not penetrate it's latest scanner jammer (i think the latest improvment makes it a 30 power). However, I could still see the other ship's design.
So, either setting the tech level from the editor is broken or the way this pair of techs works is broken.

Btw, i take the opportunity to ask also here in case this is an actual problem and not an oversight on my part. The galactopedia mentions that I'm able to see the other ship's design, cargo and component status but I can only see it's design so far; when I double click on it's name I get only the first ship / base in my ships and bases screen.

thx

< Message edited by Data -- 1/11/2011 8:09:20 PM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Editor tech levels not updating-1501 - 1/15/2011 1:52:06 AM   
elliotg

I'm not seeing this behavior in my testing here. Changes to research levels only apply to the selected empire in the editor.

I think the confusion is coming from the fact that the research level slider is not getting updated between edits to different empires. Basically when you enter the research tab in the Edit Empire screen, the research slider level does NOT reflect the empire's current tech level. But when you click the "Apply" button it will apply whatever level is in the slider to the current empire.

To avoid confusion, I'll change the next update to reset the slider to "Starting" every time you open the Edit Empire screen.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game Editor tech levels not updating-1501 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI