Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I'm tired of the SPWAW music, so...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I'm tired of the SPWAW music, so... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I'm tired of the SPWAW music, so... - 8/10/2002 12:48:32 AM   
rbrunsman

Does anyone know what sound files are the ones that provide the various theme musics? I want to replace them with some national anthems and my favorite song, panzerleit.

I tried randomly replacing music files I found in the \snd folder but there appears to be several files with the same music and I got tired of the backup, copy, paste, listen, restore, repeat method of trying to put new sounds in.

Any ideas? Has anyone else done this?
Post #: 1
- 8/10/2002 7:44:04 AM   
Supervisor

It would the large *wav files in that folder but I wouldn't recommend replacing them as I don't if and what the circumstances might be. I would disable SPWAW music if you don't like it and run something like winamp in the background with your choice of music if your system can handle running both at the same time.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 2
- 8/10/2002 8:56:35 AM   
Hades

What wrong with the music. I think SPWAW has great music, some of the best I've heard in a game. But after awhile those crickets get on my nerves.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 3
- 8/10/2002 12:29:41 PM   
G_X

I love the crickets, and the distant gunfire, gets me into the mood, makes me think "Hmm, would a Sargeant really lead his troops there? Or there? Hmm..." The Music is usually turned off, as I prefer to hear myself think, and Music always distracts me :(

If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 4
- 8/10/2002 12:47:10 PM   
rbrunsman

I didn't say I don't like it, I'm just tired of it after listening to it for all these years. I thought a change would be nice, but if gmenfan says it is not advisable, I won't do it especially with the crashes I seem to be susceptable to recently. Thanks anyway.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 5
- 8/10/2002 1:31:35 PM   
G_X

RB, that Crashes reminded me, I nearly had a CTD today, had a sniper fire on a squad and my system was chugged for a full minute and a half, then did the calcs

I should note probably that I was running AIM, Yahoo Pager (total of Four IM boxes open) and my Yahoo Mail on Internet Explorer, and Cacheman decided to clean my ram at that exact moment.

I don't think it's a System Resources problem because of this, but possibly an ME problem? ME's not very stable, in my understanding.

If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 6
- 8/11/2002 2:56:38 AM   
Charles2222

rbrunsman: I'm not sure what you described is less taxing than what I've done, but my way is completely safe. I built up in RealOne a library of war songs and just play that in the background.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 7
- 8/11/2002 6:37:16 AM   
rbrunsman

Charles_22, I've done that in the past, but something I've done to my system recently has made me have lots of crashes. I love this game so much I'm inclined to spend the money and upgrade to XP; or is more RAM a better idea? I've heard so many bad things about XP...

It is really annoying that most of my crashes occur right when I'm having a great turn. Why doesn't it happen during the turn when several of my AFVs suffer breakdowns? ;)

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 8
- 8/11/2002 7:08:19 AM   
Charles2222

rbrunsman: Of course there's a variety of ways to increase your memory availability other than buying more. I upgraded my PIII 550mhz to 256 ram and RealOne is quite the strain. I suspect if I added another 128 it'd be good for a pretty good while. As far as going to a new computer is concerned, despite what differences there may be due to increased processor speed, I think my example may show that if you intend to use RealOne or something similar alongside it you'd better get 256 ram minimum. Heck, I think I'd start 512mb minimum if I were going to get 'another' computer. I'm fairly much in the same dilemma as you, though my extra ram must be helping.

I was thinking of getting a new one today or monday, seeing as how I'm now on vacation, but there's only one title that I'd even consider buying for it that I suspect won't work well on this one, so until a few more titles come out that really puke on this computer I'm afraid I'll be slumming it for a while.

I have another idea borne off my SPWW2 dilemma (the dilemma is that I can't play any music software as it runs). You could record all your songs to cassette and get a tape recorder that'll record off a microphone (assuming there are recorders that don't have any built-in or jacks for them), and will also loop the tape. I made a recording that way, and it's sort of neat in a way, because with the poorer quality of the recording it almost makes it sound a bit mono, sort of a WWII sort of thing.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 9
- 8/12/2002 2:52:35 AM   
Svennemir

AFAIK it is quite safe to delete the .waw files of SPWAW. Using multiple versions simultaneously, I've had to free HD space, and deletion of sound files is perfectly safe in my experience.

Be careful not to delete the intro, vid998.smk . Without that one the game won't run. All other files in the \sound directory and subfolders can be deleted. You might want to back them up to test game stability, then delete if there are any problems.

You should be able to replace the music files with other music files, but only if they're in .waw format (haven't tried this myself though).

The best solution IMHO is a winamp in the background. Then the gunfires probably won't be played (depending on operating system).

I'm normally listening to Brahms while playing.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 10
Game Music/Memory - 9/4/2002 3:28:21 AM   
Irinami

For those of you with memory problems, I recommend 2 programs. First, in response to G_X (the gent with multiple messengers on at once), you might try [URL=http://www.ceruleanstudios.com]Trillian[/URL] . It's ICQ, AIM, Yahoo IM, and MS IM all in one program smaller than ICQ itself. (No, I'm not a stockholder. ;)

Second (again, not a stockholder :P) is [URL=http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system.htm]AnalogX's MaxMem[/URL] . This program is rather simple and intuitive--it takes up a tiny (we're talking measured in K here) amount of RAM and allows you to "clean out" your RAM, so to speak. It's called a Memory Manager, and Windows users would do well to use one--if not this one, than any one.

Take care!

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 11
- 9/4/2002 4:47:37 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

XP is Les the Sarge proof!!!!!:D

Now after that, why the heck would you believe anything negative about XP!!

Now to be sure XP won't serve you breakfast in bed, and on those lonely nights XP won't snuggle up to you and get friendly with you either.

So clearly XP isn't technically perfect or the answer to everything.

But I have noticed I can't leave myself online and expect Steel Panthers WaW 7.1 to run full speed. And that's with an 800 Celeron and 256 Megs of Ram, although I only have a modest 8 meg video capacity and an ordinary sound card.

It's probably a reality connected with Steel Panthers for all its tweaks, still being a reworked DOS game.

But I have zero trouble playing SPWaW with XP.
Although with XP you might have to accept difficulties with SPMBT and SPWW2 as well as SP2 and SP3.

Of course solutions I got solutions.

You partition your hard drive to have a secondary drive. It makes good sense. You load Win 98 (or whatever) on the secondary and then load Win XP on the C as the primary OS. You get the option at power on time, to pick one or the other.

Hey it's not rocket science folks, it this dolt can do it you better be able to (or you will look even dumber with computers than me:D ).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 12
- 9/4/2002 7:41:04 AM   
Hades

My system chugs under XP is i leave it inactive for awhile. But i have never had spwaw ctd since i got it so im not complaining

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 13
- 9/4/2002 9:43:00 AM   
Figmo

I just went in and did a quick check and they are:

1001 thru 1019 and 1023 and 1024. The last two are from SP1 and I have them on a CD - when I put it on the kids recognize it as being from the game.

I love this music!! But if you have some WAV files you're willing to share let me know. Especially other military type music. Always looking for more. Heck - I even have an old cassette with bagpipes - nobody in house likes that but me.

Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 14
- 9/6/2002 2:29:44 AM   
Redleg

The thing I would like to change most is to get rid of the "Knock, Knock, Knock" sound that goes over and over again.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 15
- 9/6/2002 3:59:08 AM   
rbrunsman

Strangely, I like that "knock, knock, knock" sound. It has a far off kind of sound. It gives me the feeling that other battles are going on down the line. As in, "I'm not alone here holding back (fill in enemy of choice)." I guess it is supposed to be some kind of autocannon sound or AAA?

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 16
- 9/6/2002 5:04:10 AM   
Figmo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redleg
[B]The thing I would like to change most is to get rid of the "Knock, Knock, Knock" sound that goes over and over again. [/B][/QUOTE]

Those would be numbers 1000, 1022, 1150 thru 1176 and 1180 thru 1185. If you really want to go crazy - like me - put 1503 in their place. It's an Ooga horn.

I am curious why we need ALL of these!! It seems a little over kill - but then us Americans are known for that!! :D

Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 17
- 9/6/2002 6:35:44 AM   
Redleg

If I delete the Knock-Knock sound files, will I be blessed with silence? Or must I replace it with something? Do you know?

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 18
- 9/6/2002 6:51:18 PM   
campekenobi

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redleg
[B]The thing I would like to change most is to get rid of the "Knock, Knock, Knock" sound that goes over and over again. [/B][/QUOTE]

THAT cracked me up! We all know it's some sort of gunfire or artillery, but your "knock" description is hilarious. I kinda agree, but just like the crickets, it's an atmosphere setter... let's just hope that Combat Leader adds a greater variety of atmosphere in addition to the cooler graphics!

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 19
- 9/6/2002 7:39:27 PM   
Charles2222

Tony Orlando's song comes to mind. You know can turn the music off separate from the atmosphere sounds, and that you can turn the atmosphere off separate too. There are times when hearing Tony's atmosphere is a bit much, but one thing I like about it is if I go somewhere else in the house and leave the atmosphere up, it sounds as though the battle is still raging on a skirmish level.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 20
- 9/7/2002 5:08:52 AM   
Don Doom

Well lately, I have turn off all sound and run media player while I am playing email. During vikings I play system of a down toxicity, during M4's Metica or led Zepp! Works pretty good and does not mess up the game in any way[ie slow it down or wierd battles results].:D

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 21
- 9/7/2002 7:05:45 AM   
Charles2222

I don't see how you guys can play WWII games with modern music. It has to be be something WWII era about it, be that mono sound, martial music, or broadcasts from that era, to me.

The only stuff I ever heard that seemed like it might've fit WWII and was still modern was some of Pink Floyd's stuff.

Seems like some of the Beatles stuff glimpsed back into WWII in parts too, but their music was so typical of being anti-establishment to the WWII generation that they don't seem to fit though.

Oh, I forgot, there was Linda Ronstadt's torch music attempt which went on for a while. I thought she sang very well that way. You'll never hear a better version of When You Wish Upon a Star.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 22
- 9/7/2002 10:02:59 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Background ambience is always important, but sometimes we just want wacky heheh.

Nothing like blowing things up while listening to anime music in the background heheh (hey where do you think my odd talents come from eh:) ).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 23
- 9/8/2002 1:22:14 AM   
Charles2222

Les the Sarge 9-1: I've been thinking about it though. As much as Ronstadt's music may had fit the era, that style of music, done by her is almost as out of place as heavy metal. Imagine stormtroopers marching through Paris and you hear I've got a crush on youuuu sweetie pie

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 24
- 9/9/2002 2:34:23 PM   
Karnaaj

Hmmm. I've had some squirrelly things happen when using SpinAmp/ShoutAmp (Spinner/Shoutcast plgins for WinAmp), but using music on my drives, it works fine. A great untidy lot of military music, movie scores and the like - WinMX for qite a bit, but loads off websites as well. (Gotta remember to transfer all the Yugoslavian stuff to the Military subdirectory sometime). IRC can feed as well, but I've found only one really good channel for scores, and at 56k, well...

(Note: a lot of WinMX/IRC available stuff [and probably web-available, as well] is copyright vciolation. 'nuff said there.)

The biggest prob I've had is weeding out all the **** skinhead/neonazi crap from the searches. Second: duplicates (different names/sampling rates). One skin-type I saw had a *monster* load of applicable music - but I never could figure out if they were dupes, or actually multiple *versions* by differing performers/units... I'd have to grab the same title by, say, the Wehrmacht and HitlerJugend, and mebbe the KriegsMarine just to be sure, and there toward the end of that period of leeching he was refusing my download requests. (Mebbe he browsed my selections and found the Russian stuff? )

Ah well. Yeah, kill the in-game music, and use WinAmp/whatever. (You can even add in the default SPWAW music to your playlists - it's a little more palatible when it's not the *only* choice.)

MP3.com might be worth checking, as well - dig around the movie music/instrumentals/classical sections and see what-all might be worthwhile.

(Now playing: Hans Zimmer/Nick Glennie-Smith/Harry Gregson Williams - Rocket Away - THE ROCK motion picture soundtrack)

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I'm tired of the SPWAW music, so... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI