Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

In this game, I have to cheat!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> In this game, I have to cheat! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In this game, I have to cheat! - 1/19/2011 2:14:39 AM   
Rosseau

Bear with me on this. It's a true story. I create a meeting engagement based on Road to Minsk, with both sides pretty evenly matched, although the Germans--who I will play vs. the AI--have a measurable edge. What I did in the editor should have broke the game and the scenario. But what do you know: the Soviet AI moves out smartly on its objectives and we meet somewhere in the middle. The AI is set to "sustained attack" in the editor. I totally wing this thing, and it's playing out like a scenario that came with the game.

I manage to create a three hex pocket up north and trap 9 soviets. This is not a big pocket but the AI sees it, and in the only move it makes in that turn, it breaks its units free. Okay, it must have been something I didn't see. So I reload the save and spend several minutes with a different strategy. That SOB AI breaks the pocket again using a completely different approach. Now I'm pissed. My third try and it finds a way to break the pocket yet again. SSG's AI comes fairly close, but really, never seen anything like this.

Post #: 1
RE: In this game, I have to cheat! - 1/19/2011 2:20:46 AM   
2ndACR

This AI is really impressive. I find that it keeps me on my toes at all times.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 2
RE: In this game, I have to cheat! - 1/19/2011 3:07:40 AM   
Tzar007

I'm not cheating but this AI almost seems to divine my plans...often, I manage to punch a wedge on the front line at 2 places. Before I can fully exploit, the damn AI smells that something afoul is brewing and it withdraws its guys and save them for another day. Makes me nuts ! 

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: In this game, I have to cheat! - 1/19/2011 11:37:53 AM   
Avenger

If you cheat enough you will win. I replayed several turns in the Grand campaign, multiple reloads, until I was able to capture Leningrad before the mud turns. In the end it really serves no purpose. I am the only one who knows that I won. I also know how I won so I am super crazy for sitting there reloading those turns over and over.
:)

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 4
RE: In this game, I have to cheat! - 1/19/2011 1:35:57 PM   
Q-Ball

The AI gives a good game, at least on the defensive. On the offensive, it has some problems, but that is to be expected; very tough to program a good offensive AI.

I am noticing in the campaign scenario, (AXIS vs. Soviet AI on Normal), the AI is launching suicidal attacks in the Blizzard of 42-43. While this worked a year ago, the AI is attacking at appalling odds, and getting mowed down for little game. Last turn was something like 14K Axis to 154K Soviet, and even worse ratio in AFVs (over 2000 vs. 35) Not sure why the AI is persisting in these attacks.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 5
RE: In this game, I have to cheat! - 1/19/2011 5:59:31 PM   
Joel Billings

There was a bug in the AI attack routine that could allow it to make very bad attacks (those where the attacking modified CV was 0). We've fixed this, and it will be in the next patch. That should eliminate the very worst attacks, but there still will be other attacks where the Soviets lose a lot.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> In this game, I have to cheat! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI