Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bernard Law

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bernard Law Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 5:56:13 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

It never has seemed to me that naming "warplanes" after ruminants was a good idea. It suggests a military procurement system gone awry. Surely there are enough raptors or something of that sort. Hell, even something like "Weasel" seems better.

There was an upgraded version of the Vincent planned for a short while. Luckily the RAF decided to go with a new design and chose the Wellesley over the Vickers Rodney. Naming aeroplanes after raptors and stuff isn't really all that interesting, you can give a cool name to anything but it just makes you look like you're trying too hard.
Naming your aircraft the Grumman Turbonutterdeadhardbastardwilldropbombsandkickyouinthetesticles is just trying too hard to make your aircraft seem like it's powerful.
The British way would be to provide an airman with the Hawker Pansy, having an aircraft named like that will encourage him to fight harder.

P.S. I've already trademarked the Pansy bomber (along with the peony ground attack fighter and handbag fighter).

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3541
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 5:59:02 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Sign in today is "OTFEFE", which is Tannanese for "I am going to kill you, you damnable Shinto bastard" (roughly)

Post #: 3542
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 6:42:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

It never has seemed to me that naming "warplanes" after ruminants was a good idea. It suggests a military procurement system gone awry. Surely there are enough raptors or something of that sort. Hell, even something like "Weasel" seems better.

There was an upgraded version of the Vincent planned for a short while. Luckily the RAF decided to go with a new design and chose the Wellesley over the Vickers Rodney. Naming aeroplanes after raptors and stuff isn't really all that interesting, you can give a cool name to anything but it just makes you look like you're trying too hard.
Naming your aircraft the Grumman Turbonutterdeadhardbastardwilldropbombsandkickyouinthetesticles is just trying too hard to make your aircraft seem like it's powerful.
The British way would be to provide an airman with the Hawker Pansy, having an aircraft named like that will encourage him to fight harder.

P.S. I've already trademarked the Pansy bomber (along with the peony ground attack fighter and handbag fighter).

The Peony is not so bad, however, the Pansy pilots might well be subjected to severe teasing in the officer's club.

Still, the Luftwaffe had the Sprengbombe Dickwandig (butterfly bomb)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsnfK-MeCE

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3543
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 7:14:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***************Forest trail, Tanna, New Hebrides, July 9, 1942************

Lt. Honda is wearing his Shinto ceromonial garments as he heads down the trail in wooden sandals. He takes cautious steps because the trail is wet and because the sandals are newly lacquered, having just been received from his doting mother. (Are y'all getting the picture yet?) As he passes by a coconut palm there is a flash of movment and a scream, "OTFEFE!". A brown arm grabs him across the forehead, displacing the goofy hat that looks like an oven mitt sewn into a cone. From the other side, a bayonet is thrust deeply into his neck. As the life drains from him, he falls on his back to the jungle floor. The face of a native man, painted white appears at the center of his fading vision. The mans smiles broadly and whispers, "Ensign McGoo".

Post #: 3544
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 8:12:21 PM   
Panther Bait

At least the British realized that they should avoid launching an HMS Pansy, when they changed the name of Flower class K15 to the HMS Heartsease

They did keep HMS Periwinkle, HMS Peony, HMS Petunia, HMS Buttercup, HMS Gladiolus, HMS Atholl (say that 5 times fast), and HMS Crocus (not quite as bad as CINCUS)

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

Post #: 3545
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 8:37:08 PM   
sprior

Op Weasel now has 2 variants:

1. Op Otter. This is the sea borne version which would see 6th and 7th Aus Div, 2nd UK Div and 32nd US Div supported by 255th Arm Br land on the NW coast of OZ at Wyndham and Darwin and cut off the 5-ish Div of JJ troops at Katherine. East African Br can retake Port Headland or Broome as reqd.

2. Op Stoat is the land borne version. 6th and 7th Aus Div and 32nd US Div move up to Daly Waters and 32nd US Div move on to take Wyndham by land. If JJ reacts by movinf troops out of Katherine to retake Wyndham then 6th and 7th Divs move forward to retake Katherine.

Op Stoat is quicker to implement as all the troops required are now on Oz. 6th and 7th Divs are now unloading at Perth.

In both cases UK 18th Div will provide a secure base to fall back on if it all goes horribly pear-shaped.

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 3546
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 8:40:35 PM   
moore4807

Wow! I actually stoppped playing the game 4 days ago to read all 119 pages of this AAR... Yes my wife got curious to my sudden outbreaks of laughter, I revealed only non essential opsec facts and she quickly lost interest... This is awesome reading and I learned MUCH more about this game from reading this than I got from reading the manual... You can call me a fanboy, but thanks for the needed laughs and I'm going back to lurking here.

Post #: 3547
RE: Bernard Law - 1/19/2011 8:44:13 PM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

July 8th 42

The forest of Sweet Osmanthus fell today.

Did anyone else have to look that up?

Did anyone not have to?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 3548
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 12:00:27 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

quote:

July 8th 42

The forest of Sweet Osmanthus fell today.

Did anyone else have to look that up?

Did anyone not have to?

Yes......cause I dont care.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3549
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 1:05:51 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

***************July 8, 1942**************

Fiji: Not much happened. The Oscars were quiet. Again, the danger of collisions between US Subs and Jap ships was largely avoided by careful seamanship. Again, a Vincent of No. 4 Sqdrn. spotted and, owing to a favorable tailwind, was able to close on a Jap sub off Nadi. A 1000 lb bomb was dropped from 5,000 ft and made a big white splash followed by an oil slick.

Casualties:

1,210 Anchovy*
17 Yellowtail
28 Flying Fish
1 Sea Turtle
2 Oceanic White Tips

A PT Boat flotilla ordered to investigate said the oil slick kinda smelled like ceasar salad.

Reinforcements arrived at Nadi where all artillery was ordered into a safety stand down. Allied forces at Suva sent about 1,000 WJD's to the Shinto shrine. The Tank Bn. attacking the Naval Guard unit in loin cloths on Northern Fiji suffered a freindly fire accident (losing 3 Stuarts). The Jap force is down to 3 guns with no troops . The losses probably represent ricochets?

SouthPac HQ (Nimitz in charge) is headed for Suva.

* I took the "e" out of "anchovey" but this doesn't look right either. Ah...screw it. I hate spelling.

Not keeping tabs on krill casualties?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 3550
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 1:07:30 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

At least the British realized that they should avoid launching an HMS Pansy, when they changed the name of Flower class K15 to the HMS Heartsease

They did keep HMS Periwinkle, HMS Peony, HMS Petunia, HMS Buttercup, HMS Gladiolus, HMS Atholl (say that 5 times fast), and HMS Crocus (not quite as bad as CINCUS)

Mike

The best one is still the Decoy.

Much encouragement value there.....

Post #: 3551
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 1:18:38 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Op Weasel now has 2 variants:

1. Op Otter. This is the sea borne version which would see 6th and 7th Aus Div, 2nd UK Div and 32nd US Div supported by 255th Arm Br land on the NW coast of OZ at Wyndham and Darwin and cut off the 5-ish Div of JJ troops at Katherine. East African Br can retake Port Headland or Broome as reqd.

2. Op Stoat is the land borne version. 6th and 7th Aus Div and 32nd US Div move up to Daly Waters and 32nd US Div move on to take Wyndham by land. If JJ reacts by movinf troops out of Katherine to retake Wyndham then 6th and 7th Divs move forward to retake Katherine.

Op Stoat is quicker to implement as all the troops required are now on Oz. 6th and 7th Divs are now unloading at Perth.

In both cases UK 18th Div will provide a secure base to fall back on if it all goes horribly pear-shaped.

Stoat is certainly less risky (especially to the RN and USN) but it has a lower chance of trapping the wee Jap dobbers in my estimation. I think you will be making about 5-6 days per hex and, and there is a good chance of discovery before forces are joined, giving the WJD's to to reinforce Wyndham by sea. Additionally, if Wyndham is captured it will likely not have enough supply for a big air campaign and will not be able to be supplied overland, which means you might still have to run ships in. Also there would be a lag to get support troops in unless you bring them along with the 32nd ID. Any delay in getting ground support and air to Wyndham after it is captured means the Japs can shut down the airfield by air.

I do like the idea of using 32nd ID as some kind of overland reserve for exploitation if the Japs pull out of Katherine or perhaps to move down teh track to Wyndham in concert with the seaborne invasion (although a bit hard to time, I think). Armor would be good too.

PS...the walk from Alice to Daly takes a LONG time but, ideally, any troops landing by sea should be well prepped (>50%) so it would take 50 d or so to get 2nd Br Inf and East Africa Brig ready....ergo..... we are a ways out either way.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/20/2011 1:22:44 AM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3552
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 5:00:59 AM   
Alfred

quote:

***************July 8, 1942**************

Fiji: Not much happened. The Oscars were quiet. Again, the danger of collisions between US Subs and Jap ships was largely avoided by careful seamanship. Again, a Vincent of No. 4 Sqdrn. spotted and, owing to a favorable tailwind, was able to close on a Jap sub off Nadi. A 1000 lb bomb was dropped from 5,000 ft and made a big white splash followed by an oil slick.

Casualties:

1,210 Anchovy*
17 Yellowtail
28 Flying Fish
1 Sea Turtle
2 Oceanic White Tips

A PT Boat flotilla ordered to investigate said the oil slick kinda smelled like ceasar salad.

Reinforcements arrived at Nadi where all artillery was ordered into a safety stand down. Allied forces at Suva sent about 1,000 WJD's to the Shinto shrine. The Tank Bn. attacking the Naval Guard unit in loin cloths on Northern Fiji suffered a freindly fire accident (losing 3 Stuarts). The Jap force is down to 3 guns with no troops . The losses probably represent ricochets?

SouthPac HQ (Nimitz in charge) is headed for Suva.

* I took the "e" out of "anchovey" but this doesn't look right either. Ah...screw it. I hate spelling.

I'm rather partial to having anchoas on my pizza. Do all those casualties mean you are buying pizzas for your readers? Any chance of a beer to go with the pizza?

Alfred

Post #: 3553
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 8:35:31 AM   
sprior

quote:

Yes......cause I dont care.

That's the spirit!

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3554
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 8:39:29 AM   
sprior

quote:

I'm going back to lurking here.

Post away, anything to alleviate the inane drivel that is mostly posted here. Mainly by me it has to be admitted.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 3555
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 8:41:26 AM   
sprior

quote:

PS...the walk from Alice to Daly takes a LONG time but, ideally, any troops landing by sea should be well prepped (>50%) so it would take 50 d or so to get 2nd Br Inf and East Africa Brig ready....ergo..... we are a ways out either way.

Yes, about 50 days. So Stoat/Weasel/Otter should begin on or about 1st Sep 1942.

< Message edited by sprior -- 1/20/2011 8:42:34 AM >

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 3556
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 8:46:15 AM   
sprior

How to set dive bombers in AE:

Mission: Bombing
A/c type: DB
(1) Group altitude: 10-15K
A/c are treated as if performing a diving attack
(2) Group altitude: 16-19K
A/c are treated as if performing a glide attack
(3) Group altitude: <1K
A/c are treated as if performing a low level attack
(4) Group altitude: 20+ or 1-9K
A/c are treated as if performing a normal horizontal attack
The attacks are based on altitude flown.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3557
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 3:51:27 PM   
Mynok

I'm thinking 9k is the height to set torpedo/dive bombers for airfield attacks so they will level bomb and not glide bomb into a hail of flak.

Why don't you test that for us?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3558
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 4:56:51 PM   
BrucePowers

Yes, let's see what a hail of flak looks like

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3559
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 5:12:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I'm rather partial to having anchoas on my pizza. Do all those casualties mean you are buying pizzas for your readers? Any chance of a beer to go with the pizza?

Alfred

Readers are free to transport themselves back in time 68 1/2 years, get themselves to Fiji, charter a boat and try to scoop up the slick of fish oil and anchovy guts about 40 mi. SW of Nadi. *

* Don't expect any air cover

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3560
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 5:13:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

Mike

The best one is still the Decoy.

Much encouragement value there.....

I am partial to the USS Pyro, an ammunition ship.

USS Queerbarge is pretty funny too.

Post #: 3561
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 5:34:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Not keeping tabs on krill casualties?

The management enforces a strict no crustracean policy. Any person(s) known to have brought crustaceans onto the premises will be subject to a $500 fine or 2 months in jail (or both if you have a really crappy lawyer)

Post #: 3562
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 5:42:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

This reminds me of the time I went to see a newborn at the hospital and there was a question if the mother might have had scabies. They put the poor woman in a laminar flow isolation room with a big yellow and red sign on the door that read:

ARTHROPOD PRECAUTIONS

Any visiting arthropods were required to pass through a metal detector and get a pat down by hospital security.

I didn't think she really had scabies so I humanely let her keep her baby. What a guy, eh?

Post #: 3563
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 5:48:07 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Yes, let's see what a hail of flak looks like

are we talking golf ball sized? or smaller?

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3564
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 5:50:58 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

This reminds me of the time I went to see a newborn at the hospital and there was a question if the mother might have had scabies. They put the poor woman in a laminar flow isolation room with a big yellow and red sign on the door that read:

ARTHROPOD PRECAUTIONS

Any visiting arthropods were required to pass through a metal detector and get a pat down by hospital security.

I didn't think she really had scabies so I humanely let her keep her baby. What a guy, eh?

ok, i'll bite...why the metal detector?

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Post #: 3565
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 6:13:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

ARTHROPOD PRECAUTIONS

ok, i'll bite...why the metal detector?

We have a problem with Cholo Arthropods around here.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 3566
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 6:22:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

This reminds me of another funny thing (at least to me).

The French get a delicious deep fried potato named after them.

The Mexicans get a cool Hat Dance and a bean that jumps

The Irish get an expensive whiskey

but the Norwegians get a rat and a particularly nasty skin infestation named after them (Norwegian Scabies)

Post #: 3567
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 8:21:38 PM   
sprior

Or:

The French get a missive named after them
The Spanish get a windlass named after them
The Dutch get faux bravery named after them

Don't ask what a capot anglais is.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 3568
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 9:32:59 PM   
stuman

quote:

ARTHROPOD PRECAUTIONS

No one ever expects the Arthropods !

< Message edited by stuman -- 1/20/2011 9:59:41 PM >

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 3569
RE: Bernard Law - 1/20/2011 9:38:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Don't ask what a capot anglais is.

I would say the Anglophones got even with "French tickler"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3570
Page:   <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bernard Law Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI