Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lets help matrix!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Lets help matrix!!! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lets help matrix!!! - 9/6/2002 8:07:17 PM   
doomonyou

I blame these 2x3 and matrix types for turning me into a fanboy...

We should tell them how we all found out about the game so that they may target thier marketing most accurately, make the best return on thier games, so as to make more games and patch them as thoroughly and as responsively as they have this one!!!

I found this game on an ad placed on strategypage.com
Post #: 1
- 9/6/2002 8:09:51 PM   
John Carney

Found game through link on grognard.com, bought through on-line direct.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 2
- 9/6/2002 8:47:13 PM   
Raverdave

I was thinking of getting back into Steel Panthers and was looking for sites on the web....next thing I know *Bump* I find this site. Never got to re start Steel Panthers cuz UV was published !:D

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 3
- 9/6/2002 10:40:43 PM   
Feinder

I played the Grigsby's DOS version of PacWar from the early 90s. IAbout a year ago, had lost my manual, and happened upon the Matrix site since they were hosting a free download of the game. I also noticed they were doing a rewrite of PacWar.

My brother and I both enjoyed the DOS game, and figure that UV is basically the pilot for PacWar2 to work out the kinks. But neither of us feel like waiting for another 8 months, so we've purchased UV to keep us occupied and learn the interface until then.

-F-

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 4
- 9/6/2002 11:23:13 PM   
Donoda

Never heard about matrix.
By coincidence read the review from UV on game spot.
After making some visit on the forum, I got eunuch trust to by it….
Now it feels like I am the only one in Holland that had by this great game.

[I]Seems strange but my native language is Portuguese, this is the best English I got [/I]

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 5
- 9/6/2002 11:43:09 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Donoda
[B]Never heard about matrix.
By coincidence read the review from UV on game spot.
After making some visit on the forum, I got eunuch trust to by it….
[I]Seems strange but my native language is Portuguese, this is the best English I got [/I] [/B][/QUOTE]

Eunuch trust?!?

:D :D :D :D :D

O.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 6
- 9/6/2002 11:43:46 PM   
U2

Hi

What brought me to Matrix in the first place was reading on the (now gone?) Wargame section of Gamesdomain about the remake of WIR and PACWAR and that they had signed Gary and Joel's (just forgot the name of the third important person that makes up 2by3) 2by3 Games.
Since then all sorts of fantastic things have been happening:)

Dan

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 7
- 9/7/2002 12:19:34 AM   
pasternakski

I found this place when I was doing Web searches for downloadable breakouts of old Grigsby games. I used to play Carrier Force and War in the South Pacific a lot on my old C64 and had the old PacWar on my 486 box. I had lost interest for a few years and was looking to see what was out there.

Lo and behold, here's a free download of a revitalized PacWar and promise of more goodies to come. It's Matrix that has rejuvenated my interest in computer wargaming. A lot of the crap that was being published was just that - crap, and Meier's Civilization I and II eventually got old (and weren't really satisfying as "war games," anyway, as far as my tastes are concerned).

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 8
- 9/7/2002 12:24:49 AM   
Admiral DadMan

I went jonesing for PacWar info about 2 years ago and found Matrix. I almost didn't buy Uncommon Valor until I started reading about War in the Pacific. Then one thing led to another... and here I am addicted...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 9
- 9/7/2002 12:34:03 AM   
AlvinS

I found Matrix in late 2000 while reading a PC gaming magazine. The section on Wargames talked about Pacwar. I downloaded the game and have been here since. I also found Steel Panthers World at War. Once I was in the forums I found the ones for WITP and UV. And the rest they say is history.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 10
- 9/7/2002 12:40:24 AM   
David Heath

Thanks Guys.... this is really a GREAT help.... I should have done this long ago.... please everyone keep them coming.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 11
- 9/7/2002 1:10:59 AM   
siRkid

I found the site by searching the net for old game titles. I was looking for conversions or additional scenarios.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 12
- 9/7/2002 1:15:15 AM   
Basement Command

Searchin' the web for a game like PacWar only updated with an easier to manage interface. Seems I found it.

The only skills I have the patience to learn are those that have no practical application in real life.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 13
Hey Director of Operations man... - 9/7/2002 1:23:04 AM   
doomonyou

I'm not just a grognard. I'm an MBA in marketing too....:)

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 14
- 9/7/2002 1:28:17 AM   
Sonny

Found it on another forum when someone mentioned Matrix had the updated version of the original WIR. Came here and saw the UV add.:)

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 15
Way back when... - 9/7/2002 1:34:51 AM   
RevRick

I got tired of staring at SPI's War in the Pacific, and found GG's Pacific War, and wore it out with constant editing and re-editing, the information came out on the old Pacific War message board that some new outfit called Matrix Games was going to update PW - I wound up over here in early 2000 or so - and have been patiently waiting for WitP and am overjoyed with UV. My wife think I am an absolute looney - but I'm just a grog - can you grok it?

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 16
- 9/7/2002 2:12:50 AM   
victor semensi

I found out about Matrix through the Computer Gaming World magazine, I'm sure it was while I was looking for Steel Panthers info.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 17
- 9/7/2002 2:18:22 AM   
TIMJOT

I found Matrix when the old TOAW forum re-located over here.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 18
- 9/7/2002 2:20:59 AM   
Reiryc

After the demise of Atomic games, I heard from other Closecombat people that Matrix was going to do something similar.

This brought me to matrix and then I saw all the other games they had on list to develop.

UV caught my attention because I loved PacWar. So I knew this would be a must buy.

Reiryc

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 19
Matrix Version of PacWar - 9/7/2002 4:39:51 AM   
denisonh

Did a web search for "Gary Grigsby" looking for information on any games he would be publishing. Came across the free download of PacWar and became a PacWar junkie.

Then browsed the Matrix site.

When UV was announced, jumped on it.

Have purchased three games now and will keep on buying games as they are all quality efforts and all well supported.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 20
- 9/7/2002 6:31:59 AM   
Duane1972

I saw the review on Gamespot. Hadn't played a war game in a while so I read the review and moved to the forum. After reading the forum for a week, I was hooked.

I talked so much about it that my brother just bought his copy and he loves it as well.

We both say that this is some of the best money we have ever spent.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 21
- 9/7/2002 6:35:04 AM   
bilbow

I saw a reference to Matrix on the Wargamer site maybe 18 months ago, checked it out and spent a year lurking in the weeds waiting for UV. Rather happy I did boost Matrix's hit count a lot.

Bill:) :) :)

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 22
- 9/7/2002 7:27:07 AM   
krishub1492

I learned about Matrix for the Wargamer web site. I had been playing Pacwar for years, using Pacedit to make scenario changes and updates. UV is great and only increases my desire for WITP.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 23
- 9/7/2002 8:31:58 AM   
DSandberg

I first heard about UV from comments about it in the newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical. Previous to that I had heard about Matrix Games from posts about "Starships Unlimited Divided Galaxies" (another genre that interests me) in the newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic.

"... planning and preparations were made with great efforts with this day as a goal. Before this target day came, however, the tables had been turned around entirely and we are now forced to do our utmost to cope with the worst. Thi

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 24
- 9/7/2002 8:40:30 AM   
CommC

I stumbled on the Matrix site a year or so ago after hearing about the free download for the updated PacWar, I think from the Wargamer site.

But I had no idea they were working on UV or WITP. I found UV after reading the review in PC Gamer (magazine).

I think Matrix should run some ads for UV in the mainstream computer game magazines.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 25
- 9/7/2002 9:54:44 AM   
CapAndGown

Can't really say exactly when I first heard about UV.

When the SSI close combat forums folded, a bunch of people moved over to militarygameronline where we heard about Close Assualt being done by Matrix. That led to Matrix and their product development.

But I have been seeing news about UV for at least a year from such sites at militarygameonline and wargamer.com. Then the blitzkrieg wargaming club opened up a ladder and so I decided to check into it further. After reading the forums here, and especially the AARs, I decided to buy it, even though the gaphics looked primitive. Well the graphics still are an eye strain (a review of CC3 once called it the battle of the micro ants, UV goes even further, it is the battle of the micro dots) but the game play is nice. And for such a complicated and large scale game, it is amazing how little time it takes to move all your units. Just compare it to DNO for ACOW in which the German player might take 4 hours to do a turn! (Course, DNO is still the best Barbarrosa sim out there.)

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 26
- 9/7/2002 10:22:44 AM   
Deban

I also found out about UV from the review in PC gamer.

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 27
- 9/7/2002 12:20:27 PM   
Shot2Pieces

Saw a UV banner on [url]www.strategypage.com[/url], love at first sight :)

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 28
Gamespot - 9/7/2002 3:44:23 PM   
Luskan

I found it via gamespot - but had to admit the review there didn't send me racing to the shop to buy it (although an update should be sent to gamespot so they can edit the review - all the "annoying" things the guy listed have been patched). I went and read Rob Robersons AAR and Crocky and Kid's AAR and THEN I raced out to the shop to buy it. Only it wasn't in any shops - had to order it online and wait for a whole week or something (sigh).

Just for a comparative rating - I have lots of games - and NeverWinter Nights arrived the same day UV did. NVN has got exactly 3 hours of gameplay total - UV about 300.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 29
- 9/7/2002 7:54:15 PM   
Marc von Martial

Thanks guys this is very very interesting !

(in reply to doomonyou)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Lets help matrix!!! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI