Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need an assesment.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Need an assesment. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 1:36:30 AM   
cmdrsam

I do not regret for one minute in my purchase of this game so if it comes across as such it is not intended to be. I have started and restarted several times in a A.I. GC. Learn some, and restart. Even walked away for a few weeks before replaying again. But there are just so many things going on in the game that makes me feel like I am in the dark. I feel very overwhelmed at times.

Need someone who has played this extensivly to take a peak at my currant save and study it for a few and tell me where I am wrong. And I know I am very wrong on quite a few areas. I have never played a game this freaking detailed and alot of time I feel as if I am grasping at straws.

I do not know how to upload the file here but either send me a private message or email me at cmdrsam3@yahoo.com and I'll try and send via email. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 2:50:26 AM   
ADB123

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmdrsam

I do not regret for one minute in my purchase of this game so if it comes across as such it is not intended to be. I have started and restarted several times in a A.I. GC. Learn some, and restart. Even walked away for a few weeks before replaying again. But there are just so many things going on in the game that makes me feel like I am in the dark. I feel very overwhelmed at times.

Need someone who has played this extensivly to take a peak at my currant save and study it for a few and tell me where I am wrong. And I know I am very wrong on quite a few areas. I have never played a game this freaking detailed and alot of time I feel as if I am grasping at straws.

I do not know how to upload the file here but either send me a private message or email me at cmdrsam3@yahoo.com and I'll try and send via email. Thanks.

A few thoughts, first off...

- Keep in mind that this is not a linear game with a winning end that you need to find. This is not a case where you can't "win" if you do something "wrong". This is first and foremost an opportunity for you to experiment with the forces that fought in the Pacific in the Second World War.

- Also, remember, a Grand Campaign can have 1500 or so turns if you play it all the way through. Playing a few weeks only gets you through a small fraction of those possible turns

- You need to have some sort of game-objective in your mind. For example:

-- You can attempt to do "better" than history - e.g., lose fewer units, capture more bases and so on

-- You can "ignore" history and try "what ifs"

-- You can approach the game as a "shoot 'em up" and see if you can destroy the other side's forces before yours are destroyed

So don't worry about the details - with 1500 turns, what you forget to do one turn, or put off to another turn, can always be done at some later turn.

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 2
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 3:18:17 AM   
cmdrsam

Thanks for the reply and I do understand that. As I have played only with allied and I understand it is much more forgiving as I will have vast numbers in the years to come. I guess where I am having the most trouble is the vastness of the map and getting supplies to the front lines and secondary lines. I am having troubles in picking the spots where to defend. How to get equipment and ground troops there the fastest. Why pick Christmas Island and build up there? Why pick Noumoa? Dont understand the ground forces at all. Chain of Command. Ive got places like SF with 900K in fuel trying to ship it to OZ. And dont even get me started on china. I have looked over various after action reports in the other section. And I am going to butcher his name but Sundisky? and his AI after action reports. Looked over many others that have posted and I am outo think this baby is out of my league. I could go on and on

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 3
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 3:58:46 AM   
ADB123

quote:

Thanks for the reply and I do understand that. As I have played only with allied and I understand it is much more forgiving as I will have vast numbers in the years to come. I guess where I am having the most trouble is the vastness of the map and getting supplies to the front lines and secondary lines. I am having troubles in picking the spots where to defend. How to get equipment and ground troops there the fastest. Why pick Christmas Island and build up there? Why pick Noumoa? Dont understand the ground forces at all. Chain of Command. Ive got places like SF with 900K in fuel trying to ship it to OZ. And dont even get me started on china. I have looked over various after action reports in the other section. And I am going to butcher his name but Sundisky? and his AI after action reports. Looked over many others that have posted and I am outo think this baby is out of my league. I could go on and on

"How to get equipment and ground troops there the fastest."

My point is that there isn't any hurry, nor any way to hurry. For example, getting fuel from San Fran to Melbourne will take you 6 to 8 weeks at the fastest, whether you go through the South Pacific or via the Atlantic and the Indian Ocean. That's 50 to 70 turns. You have to factor this into your plans. You shouldn't be planning for the next turn, you should be planning for the turn six months from now.

"Why pick Christmas Island and build up there?"

Because there isn't a troop limitation there like there is at Palmyra, Baker, Canton, Johnston and Midway. So you can bring unlimited troops and build it up as much as you like, while at the other islands that I mentioned you will be limited very quickly to a few small units.

"I am having troubles in picking the spots where to defend."

Try the Japanese side for a dozen or so turns, while you ignore Industry and so on. Get a feel for what the Japanese can do and how long it takes. Remember that it takes just as long for a Japanese Tanker to go across the Pacific as an Allied tanker. Once you see what the Japanese side can do you can start to experiment with defending as the Allies.

"And dont even get me started on china."

Experiment with your Chinese troops. Try attacking some places, and retreating from others. Try cutting off the enemy.

"Chain of Command."

There is none. You're it. Do whatever strikes your fancy.

Let me make a suggestion. Try another start, stand down all of your forces right from the start, and ignore them for a while. Then pick one major battle zone and focus solely on that. For example, experiment at Pearl Harbor:

- try sending all of your ships out and away from the KB
- try sending all of your ships to attack the KB
- try sending all of your planes to attack the KB

You can save the game and replay it to see the differences.

Then try the same idea elsewhere, such as the Philippines or Burma.

Good luck -

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 4
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 4:17:04 AM   
cmdrsam

quote:

"How to get equipment and ground troops there the fastest."

My point is that there isn't any hurry, nor any way to hurry. For example, getting fuel from San Fran to Melbourne will take you 6 to 8 weeks at the fastest, whether you go through the South Pacific or via the Atlantic and the Indian Ocean. That's 50 to 70 turns. You have to factor this into your plans. You shouldn't be planning for the next turn, you should be planning for the turn six months from now.

Guilty as charged. I have been playing alot of next turn. Not thinking about 6 months down the road.

quote:

"Why pick Christmas Island and build up there?"

Because there isn't a troop limitation there like there is at Palmyra, Baker, Canton, Johnston and Midway. So you can bring unlimited troops and build it up as much as you like, while at the other islands that I mentioned you will be limited very quickly to a few small units.

I get that. Think I need to study the map somemore.

quote:

"Chain of Command."

Guess I am used to an actual breakdown of a unit. Like for example. 20th Maine, 78th NY, 83 NY, 56th PA composses Ames Brigade. Ames, Fitzpatrick, and Doubledays Brigade composes of Burnsides Division. Burnside and Doubleday divisions compose Third Corp.

Now I know i can click at the bottom of the unit screen to see other units in same HQ. But it seems like they are just strung out all over the place. But I guess thats part of the problem then aint it, silly me.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. And thanks for not picking on me for being whiney.

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 5
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 4:20:24 AM   
zace

#1 don't ever feel like you are losing or winning. You can lose vast areas of the map only to bleed their navy to the point you never even have to fight them because they can't get supplied... Infinite possibilities...

Personally I set out with a goal for like 6 month that I believe will help me the following 6 months. As a JFB my first 6 months is take Java, Sumatra, Malaya, and sink as many ships and planes as I can.... Thats it. everything else is just playing with what looks advantageous on a Wednesday morning.

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 6
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 5:28:33 AM   
bradfordkay

"I am having troubles in picking the spots where to defend."

At the start of the war, the allies want to build up bases that can support unlimited troops and aircraft, and preferably ones that are close enough together to provide mutual support. For me, this makes Fiji the most important island in the South Pacific, as it has two unlimited bases side by side. New Caledonia and the New Hebrides give you several mutually supporting bases that can handle unlimited troops, but not unlimited aircraft. Samoa is another such area.

Another important aspect of choosing your defensive locations is that you want their lines of communication to be relatively protected. It doesn't do any good if you place a major troop concentration in a place that you can't supply. So if your base is within bomber range of multiple Japanese bases and not any of yours, in my opinion that base is too exposed to be a major defensive hub. You can choose a base like that to be a focal point of the battle, but you want to be sure that behind it you have a group of secure bases from which to support such an operation.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 7
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 6:21:16 AM   
cmdrsam

Thank you all for the responses. I had played about the first month and sunk more than I lost. But in alot of areas I think I failed. For one I shipped the b-17s from the phillipines to port moseby. And thats it, I never did send in more troops, fighters, or any kind of supply. Needless to say there is a big red mark on my map now. Over the last couple of restarts I think some of my failings have come togethor and I see my mistakes. But the last couple of weeks playtime this has seemed like I was doing things just to do them. Playing turn to turn with the attitude, ok, lets use these ships, why, becasue I can. With no strategy behind it.

Think I need to do the following. Reread the manual, restudy the map, perhaps set intial mini plans like where to establish bases, and actually think about why I am doing things instead of just blindly doing them.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 8
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 7:11:38 AM   
V22 Osprey

I too was on and off with this game until I just kept going. Instead of restarting after I made a mistake, I just kept playing. I found that enjoy AE 1000 times more when the I'm past the first couple of turns and war gets rolling. I'd also recommend 2 day turns.(2 day is what I prefer) It cuts down on the number turns and makes the war go by somewhat faster and more enjoyable.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 9
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 8:41:23 AM   
Roger Neilson II

Email sent.

Roger

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 10
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 2:17:38 PM   
xnavytc

Hi, I have had this game for over a year now, and still have not finish a GC against the AI yet, howevestr the game I'm playing now I will finish win or lose, I finally learned and understood what the other posts on here have been saying, there is no right or wrong move perse, u almost always have time to correct something, or move supplies to PM after u put the planes there, u didnt do anything wrong, just need to keep going. I would love to be able to get to the point of playing a PBEM game, but i do want to finish a couple of GC against the AI first to get use to thinking 6 months ahead instead of one turn or even 6 turns. I really did have to force myself not to restart, even put a note on my monitor telling me to not restart but to keep on going to see what happens. I hope u get to finish ur GC and u will enjoy seeing it all the way through, who knows by then i might even be able to do a PBEM against u. Enjoy

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 11
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 2:43:46 PM   
crsutton

Hi,

Some general advice.

Most players here have a deep knowledge (too much time on our hands ) of the Pacific War. I think that is important as generally the best strategy is to follow the basic outlines that the Allies or Japan followed in the war. So my first step would be to advise you to do some reading on the war. And, if you already have done your reading, just try to play like the Allies did for you first try. Don't get to ambitioius or try to pull off any fantastic early war coups.

Most of us started playing with Uncommon Valor when it came out some years ago. It is a simpler version but easier. If you are having problems with this "monster" and feel overwhelmed, then you might try picking up UV or the old War in the Pacific and fool around with them for a while. I can only wonder at the difficulty I would have trying AE without having played the other games.

Advertise for a human opponent and play some of the excellent shorter scenarios by email. This will do two things for you. Give you practice in the more mundane but critical aspects of the game such as supply and force managment and teach you the mechanics. It will also break all of the bad habits you will form by playing against the AI. Plus, you will make some amazing friends in different places. My two campaign opponents are Stefan from Germany and Ark from Poland and it is just great to be in contact with players from other locations.

And participate in this forum. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. Most everybody here will help. I read the rulebook once. However 90% of the things I know (and think I know but don't) I have learned on this forum. Especially read some of the After Action Reports. They tend to teach me the most. It is the greatest game in the world but you gotta be just a little crazy to want to play it....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 12
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 5:23:29 PM   
zace

quote:

snip .....

Playing turn to turn with the attitude, ok, lets use these ships, why, becasue I can. With no strategy behind it.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with this at times. Contrary to what some people on here say sometimes the best option is to have your options open. Give your opponent enough rope to hand himself... This is the old question of weather IJ should use KB for force projection or hide it therefore preventing his opponent from projecting force.

It is a game if you are saying "hey this might be fun" then do it. The only loser is the one who says I wish I never played the game.

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 13
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/24/2011 5:42:10 PM   
Oldguard1970

quote:

"Chain of Command."

"Guess I am used to an actual breakdown of a unit. Like for example. 20th Maine, 78th NY, 83 NY, 56th PA composses Ames Brigade. Ames, Fitzpatrick, and Doubledays Brigade composes of Burnsides Division. Burnside and Doubleday divisions compose Third Corp."

"Now I know i can click at the bottom of the unit screen to see other units in same HQ. But it seems like they are just strung out all over the place. But I guess thats part of the problem then aint it, silly me."

---> It is true that AE does not care if a unit asigned to a certain HQ is close to that particular HQ. HQ units work for any unit in range. (You, of course, are free to try to keep your units clustered by their HQ.) However, please remember that Restricted units and Restricted commands play a powerful role in limiting the free deployment of units.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 14
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 1:29:15 AM   
cmdrsam

quote:

ORIGINAL: xnavytc

Hi, I have had this game for over a year now, and still have not finish a GC against the AI yet, howevestr the game I'm playing now I will finish win or lose, I finally learned and understood what the other posts on here have been saying, there is no right or wrong move perse, u almost always have time to correct something, or move supplies to PM after u put the planes there, u didnt do anything wrong, just need to keep going. I would love to be able to get to the point of playing a PBEM game, but i do want to finish a couple of GC against the AI first to get use to thinking 6 months ahead instead of one turn or even 6 turns. I really did have to force myself not to restart, even put a note on my monitor telling me to not restart but to keep on going to see what happens. I hope u get to finish ur GC and u will enjoy seeing it all the way through, who knows by then i might even be able to do a PBEM against u. Enjoy

Thanks for the reply and good luck with you GC. Again I think that is a mental trap on my bad where I just get in a mode of click the next turn. Need to do a much better job at long term plans.

(in reply to xnavytc)
Post #: 15
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 1:33:15 AM   
cmdrsam

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Hi,

Some general advice.

Most players here have a deep knowledge (too much time on our hands ) of the Pacific War. I think that is important as generally the best strategy is to follow the basic outlines that the Allies or Japan followed in the war. So my first step would be to advise you to do some reading on the war. And, if you already have done your reading, just try to play like the Allies did for you first try. Don't get to ambitioius or try to pull off any fantastic early war coups.

Most of us started playing with Uncommon Valor when it came out some years ago. It is a simpler version but easier. If you are having problems with this "monster" and feel overwhelmed, then you might try picking up UV or the old War in the Pacific and fool around with them for a while. I can only wonder at the difficulty I would have trying AE without having played the other games.

Advertise for a human opponent and play some of the excellent shorter scenarios by email. This will do two things for you. Give you practice in the more mundane but critical aspects of the game such as supply and force managment and teach you the mechanics. It will also break all of the bad habits you will form by playing against the AI. Plus, you will make some amazing friends in different places. My two campaign opponents are Stefan from Germany and Ark from Poland and it is just great to be in contact with players from other locations.

And participate in this forum. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. Most everybody here will help. I read the rulebook once. However 90% of the things I know (and think I know but don't) I have learned on this forum. Especially read some of the After Action Reports. They tend to teach me the most. It is the greatest game in the world but you gotta be just a little crazy to want to play it....

Would like to eventually move to a PBEM game, but i just dont feel comfortable enough with my capabilities. Need more time in the minors before that move. As far as asking questions, I have noticed these forums do an excellent job at responses. I am blessed to be on two forum board where the community as a whole are great. Thanks for the reply.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 16
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 1:37:26 AM   
cmdrsam

quote:

ORIGINAL: zace

quote:

snip .....

Playing turn to turn with the attitude, ok, lets use these ships, why, becasue I can. With no strategy behind it.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with this at times. Contrary to what some people on here say sometimes the best option is to have your options open. Give your opponent enough rope to hand himself... This is the old question of weather IJ should use KB for force projection or hide it therefore preventing his opponent from projecting force.

It is a game if you are saying "hey this might be fun" then do it. The only loser is the one who says I wish I never played the game.

Lol. Normandy will never work in my mind, lets try something else. Im an old Civil War fan and there are times I second guess myself or I feel like Im George McCellan. Where is Pinkerton when I need him. LOL.

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 17
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 1:39:01 AM   
cmdrsam

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldGuard1970

quote:

"Chain of Command."

"Guess I am used to an actual breakdown of a unit. Like for example. 20th Maine, 78th NY, 83 NY, 56th PA composses Ames Brigade. Ames, Fitzpatrick, and Doubledays Brigade composes of Burnsides Division. Burnside and Doubleday divisions compose Third Corp."

"Now I know i can click at the bottom of the unit screen to see other units in same HQ. But it seems like they are just strung out all over the place. But I guess thats part of the problem then aint it, silly me."

---> It is true that AE does not care if a unit asigned to a certain HQ is close to that particular HQ. HQ units work for any unit in range. (You, of course, are free to try to keep your units clustered by their HQ.) However, please remember that Restricted units and Restricted commands play a powerful role in limiting the free deployment of units.

Always thought it did. Guess that is why I was worried about them being seperated. But after relooking at manual and with what you have said, apparently I was worried for nothing.

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 18
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 1:58:25 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: zace

quote:

snip .....

Lol. Normandy will never work in my mind, lets try something else. Im an old Civil War fan and there are times I second guess myself or I feel like Im George McCellan. Where is Pinkerton when I need him. LOL.

LOL... several times in my PBEMs I have imagined FDR sending me the message: "If you aren't going to use the Pacific Fleet, might I borrow it?":

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 19
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 10:30:01 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

LOL... several times in my PBEMs I have imagined FDR sending me the message: "If you aren't going to use the Pacific Fleet, might I borrow it?":

And I keep thinking to myself, "If you're not going to use the Pacific Fleet, I can't sink it!" Unfortunately, I do know that you will be using it just when (and where) I least expect it.

Are you going to come out and play at Norfolk Island while I still have something resembling an advantage?

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

Post #: 20
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 4:48:43 PM   
xnavytc

cmdrsam,
I found that the witp ae allied setup spreadsheet is a good way to start ur campaign, at least as a template on how/what moves to make on the first turn, as well as some of the AARs too, I have printed out a couple of AARs from the allied side GC2 and basically look at them to see what different experienced players did in their moves for a particular region. I hope this helps a little.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 21
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/25/2011 4:50:59 PM   
bradfordkay

"Are you going to come out and play at Norfolk Island while I still have something resembling an advantage?

Chez "

I have to figure out how many carriers you have lying in wait for me there. It looks like a nasty trap at the moment...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 1/25/2011 4:51:00 PM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 22
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/26/2011 2:38:00 AM   
cmdrsam

Yeah. I actually have it myself but have never printed it. Dont have a printer. But I thank you for the advise non the less.

(in reply to xnavytc)
Post #: 23
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/26/2011 2:39:19 AM   
cmdrsam

No, no trap here, hey look of there. Ratatatatata. Now its a trap.

Post #: 24
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/26/2011 5:00:55 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

"Are you going to come out and play at Norfolk Island while I still have something resembling an advantage?

Chez "

I have to figure out how many carriers you have lying in wait for me there. It looks like a nasty trap at the moment...

Chez would not do that to you !

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 25
RE: Need an assesment. - 1/26/2011 5:05:43 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Chez "

Chez would not do that to you !

Oh, no... he would never try to entrap my carriers...

I lucked out last time and traded the Hornet for the Soryu. It was a battle where the Hornet ran into two carriers coming from the northwest and three from the northeast. The Mississippi swallowed three fish but somehow managed to survive...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Need an assesment. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI