Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sounds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Sounds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sounds - 1/24/2011 2:41:06 PM   
murkz

Hi all,

Is it possible to have more than one tank sound, as in, can we add tank sounds per model. So a panther has a panther sound, a tiger has a tiger etc. I so what files would we need to edit in order to add the new sound files?

Jeff

< Message edited by murkz -- 1/24/2011 2:54:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sounds - 1/24/2011 3:25:20 PM   
FNG

It would be cool if weapon sounds were different too, even if not unique. While a SPWAW-esque system would be ideal, even some differentiation between weapon types would be a great improvement.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to murkz)
Post #: 2
RE: Sounds - 1/24/2011 8:49:46 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: murkz

Hi all,

Is it possible to have more than one tank sound, as in, can we add tank sounds per model. So a panther has a panther sound, a tiger has a tiger etc. I so what files would we need to edit in order to add the new sound files?

Jeff

I'm not positive, but I think vehicle sounds are by general type rather than specific to a model. I think there are medium and light vehicle sounds.

Sorry, perhaps in the next game in the series.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to murkz)
Post #: 3
RE: Sounds - 1/24/2011 8:50:50 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: FNG

It would be cool if weapon sounds were different too, even if not unique. While a SPWAW-esque system would be ideal, even some differentiation between weapon types would be a great improvement.

A number of different weapons sounds have been added, but again, its associated with a genral type not a spefic weapon model.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 4
RE: Sounds - 1/25/2011 1:03:48 AM   
junk2drive

I did the sounds for the update. The original was pretty bland. Koios did not make it easy to change by assigning sounds by the xmls but instead used the code and some keywords in the files.

Stridor changed the sound system to 3D with Attenuation and Doppler Pitch. He also added some classes to the sounds so that things like sniper rifles and panzerschrecks don't sound like MG42s.

I was limited to sounds that Matrix has the rights to. A lot of the sounds came from SPWAW.

Once the update is released, people are free to use whatever sounds they have the rights to, to mod their game. I will help as much as I can.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 5
RE: Sounds - 1/25/2011 9:10:39 AM   
FNG

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I did the sounds for the update. The original was pretty bland. Koios did not make it easy to change by assigning sounds by the xmls but instead used the code and some keywords in the files.

Stridor changed the sound system to 3D with Attenuation and Doppler Pitch. He also added some classes to the sounds so that things like sniper rifles and panzerschrecks don't sound like MG42s.

I was limited to sounds that Matrix has the rights to. A lot of the sounds came from SPWAW.

Once the update is released, people are free to use whatever sounds they have the rights to, to mod their game. I will help as much as I can.

Great news! Thanks for the information :)

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 6
RE: Sounds - 1/30/2011 12:36:01 AM   
junk2drive

How would you like to add sounds to a specific feature on your map?

Like birds in some trees or frogs in a swamp?

Not the annoying constant loop of background sounds everywhere on the map.

3. Add support for map ambient sounds:

You will add some lines to your <name>scene.xml

Sounds need to be 44.1KHz, mono, 16 bit, wavs and sound good when looped. Place a copy of the sound file in the map folder.

Add this to your scene.xml

<sounds>
<sound mediaId="nameofsound" volume="100" location="530,19.5,742" rollOff="10" cutOff="250" />
<sound mediaId="nameofsound" volume="100" location="335,12.7,346" rollOff="10" cutOff="125" />
</sounds>

mediaId = standard media Id. Example

<resource id="Birds.wav" filename="mapfoldername/Birds.wav" />

volume (integter) = volume from 0 to 100%

location = (X,Y,Z) location of where the sound is coming from in meters. Y = height above ground.
location can be found in MapSceneEditor. Double click on an object you want the sound to come from. Bring up the location properties box and you will see X,Y,Z. These are in world scale units, so to convert to meters you will need to * by 2.54.

rollOff = distance is meters from the sound source when the sound starts to attenuate
cutOff = distance in meters from the sound source when the sound goes dead (can't be heard).

So by manipulating, location, volume, rollOff and cutOff (and the original looping sound), you can simulate just about anything soundwise.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 7
RE: Sounds - 1/30/2011 1:03:30 AM   
HintJ

Interesting. So we can add sounds of buzzing flies next to a cow.

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 8
RE: Sounds - 1/30/2011 1:12:32 AM   
junk2drive

Exactly.

Does it add to gameplay? No.

But I see people all over talking about immersion. This is one of those little things that someone can do or not. Nice to have the ability though.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 9
RE: Sounds - 5/4/2011 7:48:27 PM   
eniced73

can you give me a little lesson on changing sounds? I was going to look at adding some of my own. Any old example will do. Appreciated.

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 10
RE: Sounds - 5/4/2011 10:16:02 PM   
junk2drive

I'll put something together tonight with pics. Right after I add flies buzzing around the cows.

(in reply to eniced73)
Post #: 11
RE: Sounds - 5/5/2011 2:39:14 AM   
junk2drive

How to mod sounds in PCO

Sounds are in the Media\Sounds folder

They are .wav files, in this format (44.1KHz, Mono, 16bit PCM wav)

Let's look at the charge sound made by Russian troops when charging.

I open the folder, right click the chargemove.wav and click properties, then summary.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 12
RE: Sounds - 5/5/2011 2:44:12 AM   
junk2drive

I see the same settings as above. We are going to try to keep the files below 1mb and prefer less than 500kb.

Your sound needs to loop so look for sounds that taper on the ends or are similar end to end.

I go to a sound site like http://www.findsounds.com/ and search for my sound. Or use google if I have a lot of time.

I also look in games that I have. I found a sound for horse movement that sounds like soldier boots moving quickly.

I set up a separate folder for my work in progress. I copy the horse wav file there.

Now I can go to that folder, right click and check the file. It is 22k and stereo.

I use Switch Sound File Converter from NCH Software. I create a folder within my WIP folder named Sounds.

Using the converter I set the output encoding and set it to output the converted file to the new Sounds folder. Locate the new file and rename it chargemove.wav

Now I use Audacity to play and check my new file for volume and looping quality. It displays the sound as a graph and you can trim it or cut out parts of it.

Next I make a folder in my WIP folder named for my mod, such as junkchargesound and another named Media. Drag and drop the Sounds folder with your converted file into the Media Folder.

Drag and drop the Media file into the junkchargesound folder. Now you have a JSGME ready mod. Copy the folder into your JSGME mods folder.

Install the mod and test it in the game. If it is too loud, too soft, or clips, you will have to work on it in Audacity.

Sorry that I didn't include pictures as it seemed out of the scope of this thread to teach how to use Switch Sound and Audacity. I'll be happy to answer questions though.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
RE: Sounds - 5/5/2011 3:03:42 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: HintJ

I just submitted the buzzing flies sound to the team. We'll see if they can get it on any maps before release.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 14
RE: Sounds - 5/5/2011 10:12:17 PM   
HintJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: HintJ

I just submitted the buzzing flies sound to the team. We'll see if they can get it on any maps before release.

I'm tingling w/anticipation!

< Message edited by HintJ -- 5/5/2011 10:14:00 PM >

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 15
RE: Sounds - 5/15/2011 3:21:12 AM   
junk2drive

Now that you all have heard the game, are there any sounds that can be improved? I can make a mod with other sounds now.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Sounds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI