Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Players Think Tank

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Axis Players Think Tank Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 10:33:05 AM   
karonagames

The developers and testers have been monitoring the forums and the AARs, trying to get a handle on relative performance between the SU and the Axis, and as noted in several threads, the AI on normal is being easily cracked by Axis players (57 turns for a decisive victory), but the feeling coming back from the published PBEM AARs is that the Axis are struggling to get anywhere near the 1942 campaign start lines, and there are fears that the Wehrmacht may not recover enough from the Blizzard attrition sufficiently to mount a credible 1942 campaign.

The debate amongst the developers and the testers is trying to determine how much impact the inexperience of first time players is undermining Axis performance. I would therefore like to open up this thread to Axis PBEM players to outline what their first experience of the game has taught them, and what lessons they have learned that they can apply to their next games, and whether they think they can beat an equally experienced soviet player. "Beating" does not necessarily mean a decisive victory.

Please don't turn this into a "Fix this" or "Fix that" thread, simply help us gauge whether we are seeing Axis players that are running on all cylinders.

The only benchmark I have personally is my test game with Trey (El Hefe), where I had some luck and managed to get Leningrad and the Crimea, and was holding up pretty well during the blizzard, and was therefore on track to start 1942 slightly better than historically; so I know that it is possible in PBEM to do better, but I don't know how much was luck or my ability to exploit Trey's mistakes.

It's only a Game

Post #: 1
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 11:19:31 AM   
comsolut

I am just beginning to see some possible insights into the German play. Will need to test them out.

In order of importance:

1) The German player must break through at Gomel and Kiev to stretch the Russian line
2) The German player needs more encirclements to eliminate more Russian divisions
- Probably around turns 7-10 (NEED TO THINK BIG PICTURE)
- Also get better at small encirclements and using infantry to
create small encirclements
3) Bringing Panzer Group 4 to AGS may be better to break Kiev and then create opportunities
for number 2 above
4) HQ Buildup needs to be better understood and probably worth the cost if it helps to
achieve #2 above
5) Forum comments talk about the disruption to Russian production if Kursk and Kharkov
are threatened/captured
6) Is there a way to have the Luftwaffe destroy/cause more Russian casualties

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 12:58:40 PM   
CarnageINC

Big A, I think you opened up a bag of worms on this one .  The testers will probably have to ride shot gun on this one to keep if from becoming a 'fix me' thread.  Keeping this thread focused on experiences is the only way its going to be productive.  That being said, the only people who really can comment are those who have weathered the blizzards in a pbem game.  Their the real experts on the do's and don't s.

So as a Axis pbem player I can't really give you any feed back in my 3 games yet.  I haven't weathered the blizzard in any of them yet.  Each Soviet player is putting up a different type defense.  I really wish I could share the other two with you all but time will not allow me to.

I would love to hear from pbem Axis players who have gone through the blizzard and what they say.

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 2:22:21 PM   
Klydon

I don't have a PBEM game going, but have been watching a bunch of them.

One thing that I think is evolving is the German opening turn. There is a good thread going on AGS opening moves, but I think the Germans have got to have a good opening turn to both get a lot of ground (and be able to move their infantry up as quickly as possible) and to make as many Russian units surrender as possible without it taking 3-4 turns in the south. I think the German opening moves in the south are in a state of evolution as far as how much to send from AGC and who to send where. There are some opportunities I have seen with AGN on the opening move, but this is minor.

The second I agree with comsolut about the Germans having the experience on when to pull a HQ buildup for maximum gain.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 3:03:42 PM   
karonagames

quote:

Big A, I think you opened up a bag of worms on this one . 

You may be right, but we are trying to find a common denominator for what is causing what we are seeing. Joel is cautious about making changes if they are not really needed. Each tester has their own theory, but there is no consensus.

We are not solely focused on the Blizzard, but also the pre-blizzard front lines, which look like they are going to be short of historical. You have made the best progress in the South, but you are short in other sectors.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 3:16:56 PM   
2ndACR

Well, I have 1 PBEM about to enter winter. Currently in mud turn 19. I am going to document and save all save file for the turns if we need to review them.

So far, both my PBEM opponents are using a linear defense and fighting every inch of the way. That slows you down as you have to play "slinky" with your infantry to bust the lines. Plus we use the random weather and the mud each month is a real killer. I got clobbered from the north all the way to just below Kiev on turn 3. Basically it just stops you dead in your tracks.

I know I am lax in my HQ's but I do move them forward about every other turn or so. I try to avoid displacement and try to keep my truck losses to minimum. I think I have the rail repair down pretty good. Or lady luck smiles on me a lot.

But I have yet to even get close to cutting Leningrad off even against the AI.

Kursk is the farthest I have advanced vs the AI. But I think I pause my advance a lot for logistic reasons. So could be my own caution there.

1. Focus on rail repair. That is your life blood.
2. Encirclements are your best bet, but can be hard against a human. Or even the AI.
3. Avoid swamps......period. They are a beast. Pocket and then kill, don't bang your head into the wall.
4. Be better than me with your HQ's
5. Plan your winter defense well in advance. Too far and you are stretched too thin.
6. Don't rely on your Allies (except Finns, or Mountain) in the winter. EVER. They will break and that can cause mayhem with your defense lines.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 3:17:32 PM   
Altaris

The only major thing I'd suggest so far is reducing Soviet rail capacity. This would in effect largely balance out the mass withdrawals of Soviet units that seem to happen in '41 quite a bit. Force them to choose between evac'ing industry or moving vast parts of the army around (or balancing somewhere in the middle). I keep thinking when I play the Soviets that I would really be making more historical and balanced decisions if I had to choose between rescuing the industry in Smolensk or railing out otherwise doomed units in Pripyet marshes. As it stands now, I can do both, and bring in fresh reinforcements for the line. There needs to be some kind of trade-off for rescuing those other-wise doomed front line troops.
IIRC, though, rail capacity can be changed via settings, so this might be something that could be addressed by players themselves. If so, I think I'm going to adopt a rail capacity of 65-75% in any future PBEM's to help balance things out. I like this type of change, as it still gives loads of options to the player's strategy, but there should be something to help ensure the Axis gets some level of success before the mandatory blizzard terror falls upon them :)

Post #: 7
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 3:30:12 PM   
kevini1000

I don't have much experience yet but I'm gaining much ground fast. The question you might ask is should the germans have to move part of the 2nd Panzer group South on turn 1 or eventually move the 4th Panzer Group to the South just to achieve a close to historical result. Hinsight might help the axis players but it also greatly helps the Russian player as well most of all in 1941 for the Russian's when every axis move is most critical. The Russian player can make mistakes and still be in pretty good shape. If they hold Lenningrad and Moscow while not loosing too many troops then they are in great shape and the Axis are really on the decline.

In reality I'm more interested ultimately in the balance of a human vs human game. If I want to play the AI as either side just to learn the game then that's fine. I'm not worried about be able to do well against the computer but I am worried about playing a human vs human player game where I have little hope of even reaching historical results let alone a possible victory.

A possible solution might be to keep some level of early war penilty on the Russians after turn 1. Limiting AP's, slowing down strat and regular movement, hindering organiztion or command and control. This would be in effect only when the Russian player is human.

Sath

Post #: 8
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 4:32:05 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

I am currently playing 3 Soviet PBEMs vs 3 Axis guys. They are still pretty early (less than 10 turns). Without naming names, let me just say Axis strategies and success and level of player experience vary wildly.

The best of those three Axis guys is very good indeed. He does not seem to need any "help" from tweaks but we'll see.

I consider myself pretty good player in these games. I suggest any Axis player asks himself what he did wrong before staring to complain. I've seen some abysmal Axis turns in some AARs.... there were some abysmal Soviet turns as well, but nobody notices those, as people expect Sovs to play terribly at start.

Having said that, I would not mind having Sov strat transport reduced. I am transporting factories and people on railways a tad bit too easy. Perhaps that was historical? I don't know....

(in reply to kevini1000)
Post #: 9
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 4:33:32 PM   
JAMiAM

Since I'm a little pressed for time, at the moment, my short answer is that the Axis players are suffering from a lack of experience at this stage of post release play. When they begin to gain better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the Axis position, they will be able to ameliorate their deficits, and to better take advantage of the various tools at their disposal - causing the Soviet player a much higher degree of grief.

(in reply to kevini1000)
Post #: 10
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 4:34:13 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

The developers and testers have been monitoring the forums and the AARs, trying to get a handle on relative performance between the SU and the Axis, and as noted in several threads, the AI on normal is being easily cracked by Axis players (57 turns for a decisive victory), but the feeling coming back from the published PBEM AARs is that the Axis are struggling to get anywhere near the 1942 campaign start lines, and there are fears that the Wehrmacht may not recover enough from the Blizzard attrition sufficiently to mount a credible 1942 campaign.

The debate amongst the developers and the testers is trying to determine how much impact the inexperience of first time players is undermining Axis performance. I would therefore like to open up this thread to Axis PBEM players to outline what their first experience of the game has taught them, and what lessons they have learned that they can apply to their next games, and whether they think they can beat an equally experienced soviet player. "Beating" does not necessarily mean a decisive victory.

Please don't turn this into a "Fix this" or "Fix that" thread, simply help us gauge whether we are seeing Axis players that are running on all cylinders.

The only benchmark I have personally is my test game with Trey (El Hefe), where I had some luck and managed to get Leningrad and the Crimea, and was holding up pretty well during the blizzard, and was therefore on track to start 1942 slightly better than historically; so I know that it is possible in PBEM to do better, but I don't know how much was luck or my ability to exploit Trey's mistakes.

The most obvious problem for the axis is that its think tank thread should be renamed "Think Panzer"

Post #: 11
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 4:40:59 PM   
vinnie71

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Since I'm a little pressed for time, at the moment, my short answer is that the Axis players are suffering from a lack of experience at this stage of post release play. When they begin to gain better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the Axis position, they will be able to ameliorate their deficits, and to better take advantage of the various tools at their disposal - causing the Soviet player a much higher degree of grief.

Actually there are some things that you can't change. For example, due to the massive losses as the Axis in the blizzard, you'll also lose a lot of experience, and that is basically irreplacable for the infantry. For the Axis, it is essential to have very good infantry to be able to break soviet lines and speaking frankly, I am not under the impression that the Wehrmacht lost its edge in experience over winter of '41.

Also there are other issues that strike me personally especially, regarding the Axis minor allies who are really badly hamstrung in some cases. Its not they were idiots or could not learn from war experience...

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 12
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 5:00:34 PM   
Mehring

quote:

I am not under the impression that the Wehrmacht lost its edge in experience over winter of '41
I'm under the impression that vast numbers of troops were withdrawn for training over the winter, leaving skeleton divisions that were to a large extent fleshed out in the spring. That would explain some of the 'regeneration' of the Wehrmacht in 1942.

Playing vs Russian AI is definitly too easy. Some of this ease may be redressed by a good human opponent but what I am now sure of is that the rail conversion rate is far greater than was historically achieved and indeed, possible. By October 1941, one FBD is now a couple of hexes from Moscow!

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 13
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 5:02:23 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

I don't have a PBEM game going, but have been watching a bunch of them.

One thing that I think is evolving is the German opening turn. There is a good thread going on AGS opening moves, but I think the Germans have got to have a good opening turn to both get a lot of ground (and be able to move their infantry up as quickly as possible) and to make as many Russian units surrender as possible without it taking 3-4 turns in the south. I think the German opening moves in the south are in a state of evolution as far as how much to send from AGC and who to send where. There are some opportunities I have seen with AGN on the opening move, but this is minor.

The second I agree with comsolut about the Germans having the experience on when to pull a HQ buildup for maximum gain.

We need more threads like AGS turn 1 thread. I would strongly encourage players to make more of them presenting specific and concrete operational problems for peer review -- and don't be shy about presenting situations from ongoing games, even. This single thread alone has probably done more to raise the level of Axis play than any longwinded manifesto about rail capacity or whatever.

My own view is that such threads are much more likely to yield constructive results than an open ended one like this.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 14
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 5:38:38 PM   
Emx77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

The best of those three Axis guys is very good indeed. He does not seem to need any "help" from tweaks but we'll see.

I'm wondering who is he?

Yes, as you said, it is too early to say anything. I'm waiting for winter to see what will happen.

In my experience, right now (summer '41), Axis player is more then anything hindered by logistic issues. Repairing raillines is very slow process and that could be disastrous during mud weather or if partisans mange to cut rail line. I'm not saying that this is unhistorical. Only, maybe automated rail repair units should be more smart in deciding where to start with repairs.

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 15
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 5:42:59 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

Big A, I think you opened up a bag of worms on this one .  The testers will probably have to ride shot gun on this one to keep if from becoming a 'fix me' thread.  Keeping this thread focused on experiences is the only way its going to be productive.  That being said, the only people who really can comment are those who have weathered the blizzards in a pbem game.  Their the real experts on the do's and don't s.

So as a Axis pbem player I can't really give you any feed back in my 3 games yet.  I haven't weathered the blizzard in any of them yet.  Each Soviet player is putting up a different type defense.  I really wish I could share the other two with you all but time will not allow me to.

I would love to hear from pbem Axis players who have gone through the blizzard and what they say.

Nah i don't think so he said what he wants to hear. If someone gets out of line or off topic a temporary ban is probably in order. Most people will respect his wishes.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 16
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 5:44:05 PM   
abulbulian

Once again I find comments where people are at t10 and making strong comments about balanced very annoying. Or just people that don't want to be objective and look at the data that is already coming in from other HUMAN vs HUMAN PBEM games.

Please re-read the initial thread post by BigAnorak, before you dilute this post any more.

I have a human vs human game at T41 against a player of equal skill. I've already posted this in another thread, but will repeat some of the important data.

Some highlights lowlights:

- able to widely encircle Leningrad as my mobile units kept probing east for least possible resistance and met up with Fins by end of Aug. Don't think Bill was thinking I'd encircle so far east. I let most of them starve, but finally took Leningrad proper by Nov snow to release the Fins(hounds). Fins are beast in blizzard and have been hold my North front as far south as they can. Had to use 16th, 18th and PZ Grp 1, 3, and part of 2 in this operation.

- pulled armor from 2 and a half pz grps out of encirclement of Leningrad and made a mad dash to try and get a Smolensk pocket. With the help of Pz Grp 4 and 1 from south I was able to create a large Smolensk pocket of some 600k men. Was lucky and able to hold. Much to Bill's disappointment, many of his units surrendering and thus was able to keep loses light with only minimal attacks near last turns of pocket and prep'ing for mud.

- southern push stalled... left 11th army and Roms to fate and no push to get into Crimea. Got adjacent to Dnep. Before winter. Bill had units well dug in on approaches to Crimean. No way I was getting through any of that with the forces at hand,

- made attempt at a Kharkov pocket and was somewhat successful. Mud really hurt me, but in snow was able to complete pocket and take Kharkov. Only to lose in in few few turns of blizzard.

- loses by before Dec 41 Bliz started Axis: 500k and 2.3k tanks. Sov: 4 mil and 15k tanks

- I tried to prepare lines for winter in most places with some fortified zones (start on t16) and had some fort 3's thinking they would hold up a few turns blizzard.

- t25, first turn blizzard and the axis nightmare starts. Even with fort positions, rested units, good supply lines, and well supplied units I was pushed back almost everywhere by my opponent. Had 3 strong inf div encircled on 1st turn bliz and watch in horror as their CV went to 1 on next turn bliz and 35k strong surrendered.

- blizzard is very a bit harsher then should be IMO for axis, I really believe attack should be penalized heavy for axis, but def should not be as bad for units that are prep'd. As it stands, a smart human opponent will have no problem shattering any line you put out there.

- Finally to turn 34 and few bliz turns left. Been retreating for past 9 turns in most sectors... Fins holding just fine . Still have many hexes in front of Leningtad, but middle is back to Smolensk, Gommel. South is back to Kiev and Nickolov. So bad in south.

- after t33 loses were: Axis 1.6 mil and 2.8k tanks Sov: 4.6mil and 18k tanks

- blizzard finally over and after 13 turns of blizzard I accumulated another 1.2 million loses and am now at a grand total of 1.7 million starting t41. Soviet men up to 6 million already and 14k air force.

** not sure what sort of shape my army will be in to start spring 42. I have about 1mil disabled listed so hoping even at the 1% return, my lines fill up a bit. I know 42 will be limited offensive time and I'll have to reduce TOE in the non-active sector.

The pockets I was able to get around Leningrad and Smolensk, were something of a bit of luck. Both my opponent, bwheatley, and I agree that this sort of mass pocketing will be hard to come by for a non-novice sov opponent. So whatever advantage I had in 41 with my low loses and taking of Leningrad were mostly negate by the blizzard effects. I was able to keep most of my mobile forces strong by displacing them to city and urban hexes prior to the blizzard. Just for people that are curious, besides the luck in taking Leningrad in the North, my spring 42 start line is no where near historically. I'm not saying it should be, but it will be a factor as the game continues and my 42 offensives need to make some serious ground which I don't see in the cards.

The massive loses of 1.2 million men in the 13 blizzard turns has also now created a situation where my once very exp INF units are now starting to lose exp rapidly as they take back some replacements. My moral was destroyed in the blizzard turns as well. My thought is that as I approach the May month (every other turn mud) and are able to try and launch some limited attacks, my Inf units won't have much of an exp/moral advantage in 42. My mobile units are still my only prayer for something of a decent 42 in limited objectives.

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 1/24/2011 5:51:48 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 5:54:04 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Actually there are some things that you can't change. For example, due to the massive losses as the Axis in the blizzard, you'll also lose a lot of experience, and that is basically irreplacable for the infantry. For the Axis, it is essential to have very good infantry to be able to break soviet lines and speaking frankly, I am not under the impression that the Wehrmacht lost its edge in experience over winter of '41.

Also there are other issues that strike me personally especially, regarding the Axis minor allies who are really badly hamstrung in some cases. Its not they were idiots or could not learn from war experience...

+1
100% agree and have experienced this exact fact 1st hand in my current PBEM game.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 18
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 5:58:14 PM   
Schmauser

Glad to see this thread because I was thinking about the very same thing over the weekend.

I am in my second "test" GC against the AI on normal. I am on turn 38 which is the first non-blizzard turn and evaluating the status of the Wehrmacht. Although I have no fears that I can beat the AI on normal (probably not turn 52), I can definitely see the challenges for an Axis player against a human opponent. Being short of time I will leave you with the following thoughts for the developers based on a comparison between WITP and WITE. I hope to properly join the discussion when I have more time.

WITP is based on a historical opening (Pearl Harbor) and leaves the rest to the players. There is no preprogrammed destruction of the Japanese fleet at Midway and the results of December 7 are variable. A good opening by a Japanese player has a very small chance of an auto victory in 42 and a reasonable chance for an auto victory in 43. Even if auto victory is not achieved, good opening play by a Japanese player can result in a good fight past 43 with a chance for a marginal victory later in the war. In most cases a competent allied player can avoid the auto victory conditions because of the points system that requires invasions of difficult places like India or the one sided destruction of large numbers of allied ships. In short, there is enough there to reward a player for wanting to play the Japanese and there is enough of a safety net for an allied player to try more aggressive strategies. This makes the game fun.

After turn 1, WITE does not have a historical opening in MP play as the Soviet player knows the limits of the Axis advance and can fall back to prepared lines of defense. These lines of defense will yield in 41, but will cause a higher level of casualties to the Axis player and result in fewer losses to the Soviet. The only limits to that plan are slowing the advance enough to evacuate factory capacity. In addition, there is a preprogrammed destruction of the Axis army in the Winter and the Soviet player has to do absolutely nothing to generate 1,000,000+ Axis casualties. If the Soviet husbanded their forces in 41, they can increase those casualties drammatically as the Axis take disproportionate losses as morale falls and fatigue rises. This makes it nearly impossible for the Axis MP player to win in 41 and makes it highly unlikely for them to win in 42. Failure in 41 and 42 leads to the destruction of the Axis in 43 as the Soviets are then just too strong and numerous. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Things that the developers might want to consider. This isn't a wish list, just some ideas to consider to increase MP playability.

1) Find a way to penalize the Soviet player for evacuating territory too early in 41. No matter what the high command thinks, soldiers don't like giving up their homes and families. This could be reductions to morale or decreases in manpower and manufacturing capacity. Fighting farther forward makes the Axis player earn the casualties inflicted on the Soviets and you could similarly bonus the Soviet for being able to hold ground.

2) Find a way to enhance the Axis player if the Soviets evacuate. This could be increases to rail conversion rates or bonuses to movement. Units move much slower tactically than they do on road marches.

3) Reduce releases of additional units if the Soviet player isn't attempting to hold ground. Why give them those units if the front is stable?

4) Base the 41 winter effects on supply levels (perhaps fortification levels too?). The availability of warm weather clothing in December should be higher if fuel and ammo didn't need to be brought forward for fighting in August. Less time spent fighting also means more time to build shelter.

5) Reward the Axis player with supply, fuel and ammo when they take cities. This would reflect that units could withdraw, but that their logistical base is not as easily evacuated. This would have the effect of moving supply forward without changing the rail conversion process. I have found the lack of this feature perplexing since this is a common feature in WITP and is based on historical fact.

6) Make the Soviets "earn" those winter casualties. Winter attrition is linked to operations.

7) Reduce general Soviet effectiveness in the 41 Winter. The current model treats every Soviet unit as Siberian shock troops. Results against the Finns and show that the Soviets weren't exactly the masters of Winter fighting.

8) Reduce the double whammy of regular attrition compounded by Winter attrition. Guys aren't banging away at each other when they are trying to stay warm.

9) Return the Winter disablements to the Axis at a much higher rate. As it is it will take you 2 years to get those troops back. The problem is that this gives you bodies, but doesn't give you back the gear. Perhaps there should be a return of equipment as well.

10) Add Winter disablements and deaths to the Soviets. Again, the Soviets were not Winter supermen.

11) Allow the Axis player to raise limited manpower from captured sources. Evacuating factories is one thing, but the Soviet Union was a hetergeneous population.

12) Find a way to prevent Axis offensive operations in Blizzard 41 while moderating the overall Winter effects. This would provide the Soviets with freedom of maneuver while still rewarding a competent defense.

13) Reduce Soviet abilty to fortify in 41. The Soviets reacted to being overrun and encircled.

14) Reduce effect of Soviet ZOC's in 41. Units with poor command and control and the intent to retreat large distances will focus less on what is around them.

I personally believe the 41 Winter modeling to be the fundamental issue for MP play. Soviet players will do everything to delay for it and maximise it's effects on the Axis player to break their back in 42. Axis players will lament it because no matter how they husband their forces in 41, they will watch the winter destroy their army and the chances of victory in 42. Although based in history and a legacy of the board game, implementing it as a brutal certainty kills the "what if" that makes MP play the real challenge.

Post #: 19
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 6:22:28 PM   
kevini1000

About the Russian winter in 1941. The Russian's suffered from the cold as well as the Germans not all were winterized. If I understand right there were more Russian casualties from the winter condition than German(not sure about this one). Perhaps give some winterization to the SS units like 1/2 effect of the mtn units if possible.

Also alot of the German losses was of a result of them over extending right before Blizzards hit. Some German Generals wanted to dig in prior to the winter. I have to think that would have helped the German situation prior to Blizzard hitting. They did seem to suffer worse during December than Jan and Feb. Perhaps the attrition rate should be lowered for these two months.

Sath

Post #: 20
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 6:29:59 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schmauser

Glad to see this thread because I was thinking about the very same thing over the weekend.

I am in my second "test" GC against the AI on normal. I am on turn 38 which is the first non-blizzard turn and evaluating the status of the Wehrmacht. Although I have no fears that I can beat the AI on normal (probably not turn 52), I can definitely see the challenges for an Axis player against a human opponent. Being short of time I will leave you with the following thoughts for the developers based on a comparison between WITP and WITE. I hope to properly join the discussion when I have more time.

WITP is based on a historical opening (Pearl Harbor) and leaves the rest to the players. There is no preprogrammed destruction of the Japanese fleet at Midway and the results of December 7 are variable. A good opening by a Japanese player has a very small chance of an auto victory in 42 and a reasonable chance for an auto victory in 43. Even if auto victory is not achieved, good opening play by a Japanese player can result in a good fight past 43 with a chance for a marginal victory later in the war. In most cases a competent allied player can avoid the auto victory conditions because of the points system that requires invasions of difficult places like India or the one sided destruction of large numbers of allied ships. In short, there is enough there to reward a player for wanting to play the Japanese and there is enough of a safety net for an allied player to try more aggressive strategies. This makes the game fun.

After turn 1, WITE does not have a historical opening in MP play as the Soviet player knows the limits of the Axis advance and can fall back to prepared lines of defense. These lines of defense will yield in 41, but will cause a higher level of casualties to the Axis player and result in fewer losses to the Soviet. The only limits to that plan are slowing the advance enough to evacuate factory capacity. In addition, there is a preprogrammed destruction of the Axis army in the Winter and the Soviet player has to do absolutely nothing to generate 1,000,000+ Axis casualties. If the Soviet husbanded their forces in 41, they can increase those casualties drammatically as the Axis take disproportionate losses as morale falls and fatigue rises. This makes it nearly impossible for the Axis MP player to win in 41 and makes it highly unlikely for them to win in 42. Failure in 41 and 42 leads to the destruction of the Axis in 43 as the Soviets are then just too strong and numerous. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Things that the developers might want to consider. This isn't a wish list, just some ideas to consider to increase MP playability.

1) Find a way to penalize the Soviet player for evacuating territory too early in 41. No matter what the high command thinks, soldiers don't like giving up their homes and families. This could be reductions to morale or decreases in manpower and manufacturing capacity. Fighting farther forward makes the Axis player earn the casualties inflicted on the Soviets and you could similarly bonus the Soviet for being able to hold ground.

2) Find a way to enhance the Axis player if the Soviets evacuate. This could be increases to rail conversion rates or bonuses to movement. Units move much slower tactically than they do on road marches.

3) Reduce releases of additional units if the Soviet player isn't attempting to hold ground. Why give them those units if the front is stable?

4) Base the 41 winter effects on supply levels (perhaps fortification levels too?). The availability of warm weather clothing in December should be higher if fuel and ammo didn't need to be brought forward for fighting in August. Less time spent fighting also means more time to build shelter.

5) Reward the Axis player with supply, fuel and ammo when they take cities. This would reflect that units could withdraw, but that their logistical base is not as easily evacuated. This would have the effect of moving supply forward without changing the rail conversion process. I have found the lack of this feature perplexing since this is a common feature in WITP and is based on historical fact.

6) Make the Soviets "earn" those winter casualties. Winter attrition is linked to operations.

7) Reduce general Soviet effectiveness in the 41 Winter. The current model treats every Soviet unit as Siberian shock troops. Results against the Finns and show that the Soviets weren't exactly the masters of Winter fighting.

8) Reduce the double whammy of regular attrition compounded by Winter attrition. Guys aren't banging away at each other when they are trying to stay warm.

9) Return the Winter disablements to the Axis at a much higher rate. As it is it will take you 2 years to get those troops back. The problem is that this gives you bodies, but doesn't give you back the gear. Perhaps there should be a return of equipment as well.

10) Add Winter disablements and deaths to the Soviets. Again, the Soviets were not Winter supermen.

11) Allow the Axis player to raise limited manpower from captured sources. Evacuating factories is one thing, but the Soviet Union was a hetergeneous population.

12) Find a way to prevent Axis offensive operations in Blizzard 41 while moderating the overall Winter effects. This would provide the Soviets with freedom of maneuver while still rewarding a competent defense.

13) Reduce Soviet abilty to fortify in 41. The Soviets reacted to being overrun and encircled.

14) Reduce effect of Soviet ZOC's in 41. Units with poor command and control and the intent to retreat large distances will focus less on what is around them.

I personally believe the 41 Winter modeling to be the fundamental issue for MP play. Soviet players will do everything to delay for it and maximise it's effects on the Axis player to break their back in 42. Axis players will lament it because no matter how they husband their forces in 41, they will watch the winter destroy their army and the chances of victory in 42. Although based in history and a legacy of the board game, implementing it as a brutal certainty kills the "what if" that makes MP play the real challenge.

+1 great summary. I think you've come to the same conclusions I have. Thanks for organize this a bit better than I have in all my fragmented posts.

(in reply to Schmauser)
Post #: 21
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 6:53:55 PM   
randallw

quote:

ORIGINAL: comsolut

I am just beginning to see some possible insights into the German play. Will need to test them out.

In order of importance:

6) Is there a way to have the Luftwaffe destroy/cause more Russian casualties

I do not know if you are talking about airfield attacks or ground unit attacks.

My perception of the Luftwaffe is that the air crews were high quality ( at least until they were really ground down ), but the size was not especially good ( under four thousand machines ) for the size of the country they were invading. Also the bombers did not have high carrying capacity.

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 22
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 6:53:58 PM   
Schmart

quote:

quote:

I think the above two points are major keys. Allowing the Russians the 'un-historical' option to withdraw in 41 but not allowing the Germans the 'un-historical' option to stop early and prepare for winter is a major problem. Taken to the extreme, a German player could halt in early september, get his railheads forward, his troops settled nicely in level 4 forts, and yet still get hit with automatic blizzard penalties. I think the German player should have the option to halt early and prepare for the winter. Obviously he will give up any chance at Moscow in 41, and likely the lines will be further west than historical, but the Germans should be able to gain something for this trade-off. I agree with making blizzard attrition relative to supply and forts.

(in reply to Schmauser)
Post #: 23
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 6:56:14 PM   
2ndACR

How can any Axis player conduct offensive operations in Blizzard 41? I have played quite a few Blizzard turns against the AI, even games where I decimated his army, and offensive ops is a sure fire failure by the Germans. Your worse than the Romanians during the Blizzard (the starting Romanians that is).

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 24
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 7:09:24 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

After turn 1, WITE does not have a historical opening in MP play as the Soviet player knows the limits of the Axis advance and can fall back to prepared lines of defense.

In effect, WitE does have an historical opening: the campaign starting in 1942. I think it would be more fair to start in April 1942 before the Soviet disaster at Second Kharkov.

(in reply to Schmauser)
Post #: 25
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 7:12:45 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

How can any Axis player conduct offensive operations in Blizzard 41? I have played quite a few Blizzard turns against the AI, even games where I decimated his army, and offensive ops is a sure fire failure by the Germans. Your worse than the Romanians during the Blizzard (the starting Romanians that is).

I think he meant if blizzard was to change. But I agree atm there's no way in hell the axis player is doign anything offensive in blizzard unless those units are mnt or Fins.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 26
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 7:18:10 PM   
Schmauser

You are correct.

A reduction of the Blizzard effect should not give the Axis renewed offensive capabilities. They were at the end of their leash.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 27
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 7:18:58 PM   
Senno

At the peak of the blizzard I took 86,000 casualties on turns on which there were n Soviet attacks along the entire front. I had pulled up in September and shortened lines, etc and was as well prepared as I could contrive to be yet still took massive casualties. This was expected of course due to prior reports in AAR's, etc. I actually felt good when the casualties due to Blizzard reduced to 46,000 for a few turns...

A few 17 CV infantry divisions (approaching Panzer DV CV strength at that time, have come out in Spring as 8-10 CV infantry due to winter replacements, SOLELY. They suffered no attacks by the Soviets during the entire winter as I had a full linebacker defense and these units formed my tactical reserve, dig dug digging most of the fall and winter to prepare for the beastly Blizzard. Did they conduct no training during the entire time period from Sept 41 to May 42? Or would they be even worse off but for the training being done? I'm not sure. This was even before the '42 TOE "upgrade" and whose effects I haven't evaluated yet.

Anyway, it's against the AI, so I still have a Wehrmacht of 3.5 million, against 5.5 million Soviets. With my erstwhile allies, it's approximately even. I will have some grand pockets soon as the AI can't retreat very far without handing me an auto victory via VP's.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 28
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 7:32:20 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

At the peak of the blizzard I took 86,000 casualties on turns on which there were n Soviet attacks along the entire front. I had pulled up in September and shortened lines, etc and was as well prepared as I could contrive to be yet still took massive casualties. This was expected of course due to prior reports in AAR's, etc. I actually felt good when the casualties due to Blizzard reduced to 46,000 for a few turns...

Was this against the AI? If so, I don't think it will help in being objective for human vs human play balance. IMO if the sov player is not attacking each and every turn of blizzard with the current release version, they're making a serious noob mistake. A competent sov player will attack you relentlessly (in waves as some sov units will rest) each and every turn of blizzard.

My peak loses in the 2nd turn of blizzard was 240k. About 120k loses from attacks. So wait to you play a non-AI or competent human sov player and you'll see a night and day difference. Don't expect to lose less than about 1 million or more against somebody that has a clue playing sov. Just read the strategy tips in the manual for sov player and it states the same thing. Of course the hope is this changes if the axis units are much better prep'd than historically as far as the outcome of these attacks.

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 29
RE: Axis Players Think Tank - 1/24/2011 7:34:58 PM   
CarnageINC

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

Once again I find comments where people are at t10 and making strong comments about balanced very annoying. Or just people that don't want to be objective and look at the data that is already coming in from other HUMAN vs HUMAN PBEM games.

Please re-read the initial thread post by BigAnorak, before you dilute this post any more.

I have a human vs human game at T41 against a player of equal skill. I've already posted this in another thread, but will repeat some of the important data.

Some highlights lowlights:

- able to widely encircle Leningrad as my mobile units kept probing east for least possible resistance and met up with Fins by end of Aug. Don't think Bill was thinking I'd encircle so far east. I let most of them starve, but finally took Leningrad proper by Nov snow to release the Fins(hounds). Fins are beast in blizzard and have been hold my North front as far south as they can. Had to use 16th, 18th and PZ Grp 1, 3, and part of 2 in this operation.

- pulled armor from 2 and a half pz grps out of encirclement of Leningrad and made a mad dash to try and get a Smolensk pocket. With the help of Pz Grp 4 and 1 from south I was able to create a large Smolensk pocket of some 600k men. Was lucky and able to hold. Much to Bill's disappointment, many of his units surrendering and thus was able to keep loses light with only minimal attacks near last turns of pocket and prep'ing for mud.

- southern push stalled... left 11th army and Roms to fate and no push to get into Crimea. Got adjacent to Dnep. Before winter. Bill had units well dug in on approaches to Crimean. No way I was getting through any of that with the forces at hand,

- made attempt at a Kharkov pocket and was somewhat successful. Mud really hurt me, but in snow was able to complete pocket and take Kharkov. Only to lose in in few few turns of blizzard.

- loses by before Dec 41 Bliz started Axis: 500k and 2.3k tanks. Sov: 4 mil and 15k tanks

- I tried to prepare lines for winter in most places with some fortified zones (start on t16) and had some fort 3's thinking they would hold up a few turns blizzard.

- t25, first turn blizzard and the axis nightmare starts. Even with fort positions, rested units, good supply lines, and well supplied units I was pushed back almost everywhere by my opponent. Had 3 strong inf div encircled on 1st turn bliz and watch in horror as their CV went to 1 on next turn bliz and 35k strong surrendered.

- blizzard is very a bit harsher then should be IMO for axis, I really believe attack should be penalized heavy for axis, but def should not be as bad for units that are prep'd. As it stands, a smart human opponent will have no problem shattering any line you put out there.

- Finally to turn 34 and few bliz turns left. Been retreating for past 9 turns in most sectors... Fins holding just fine . Still have many hexes in front of Leningtad, but middle is back to Smolensk, Gommel. South is back to Kiev and Nickolov. So bad in south.

- after t33 loses were: Axis 1.6 mil and 2.8k tanks Sov: 4.6mil and 18k tanks

- blizzard finally over and after 13 turns of blizzard I accumulated another 1.2 million loses and am now at a grand total of 1.7 million starting t41. Soviet men up to 6 million already and 14k air force.

** not sure what sort of shape my army will be in to start spring 42. I have about 1mil disabled listed so hoping even at the 1% return, my lines fill up a bit. I know 42 will be limited offensive time and I'll have to reduce TOE in the non-active sector.

The pockets I was able to get around Leningrad and Smolensk, were something of a bit of luck. Both my opponent, bwheatley, and I agree that this sort of mass pocketing will be hard to come by for a non-novice sov opponent. So whatever advantage I had in 41 with my low loses and taking of Leningrad were mostly negate by the blizzard effects. I was able to keep most of my mobile forces strong by displacing them to city and urban hexes prior to the blizzard. Just for people that are curious, besides the luck in taking Leningrad in the North, my spring 42 start line is no where near historically. I'm not saying it should be, but it will be a factor as the game continues and my 42 offensives need to make some serious ground which I don't see in the cards.

The massive loses of 1.2 million men in the 13 blizzard turns has also now created a situation where my once very exp INF units are now starting to lose exp rapidly as they take back some replacements. My moral was destroyed in the blizzard turns as well. My thought is that as I approach the May month (every other turn mud) and are able to try and launch some limited attacks, my Inf units won't have much of an exp/moral advantage in 42. My mobile units are still my only prayer for something of a decent 42 in limited objectives.

Thanks for the info, this is what this post should be IMO.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Axis Players Think Tank Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI