Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: One Weird Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 4:47:13 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I will ask this: can anyone beat North Carolina's hush puppies?

Will you please STOP IT??!!! I'm dyin' here. Twenty freakin' degrees, PB&J for breakfast, and I have to charge my car battery to go to Tar-J for a birthday present for Herself. And here you come along with your talk of warm summer nights on the patio in Charleston, steamed, spiced calabash-style shrimp, excellent cole slaw, and all the hush puppies I could eat.

Plus, I was thin. Yes. I was. Young, thin, and I had a white uniform that drove the ladies wild. See?
You and your hush puppies . . . Grrr.

Attachment (1)

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1321
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 4:51:11 PM   
witpqs

We know that handsome guy isn't you - no antlers!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1322
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 4:52:19 PM   
Canoerebel

And what about the nose?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1323
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 5:36:37 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

And what about the nose?

Surgery. And mirrors.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1324
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 6:51:39 PM   
JohnDillworth

Wouldn't want to get BBQ sauce on that nice white uniform! Looking good!

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

Post #: 1325
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 7:23:12 PM   
Canoerebel

Reflections prompted by Operation Krelm:

I'm currently re-reading Stephen Ambrose's D-Day. (Man, could he write!) At the moment, I'm reading the chapter about the selection of the invasion target and the development of deception plans. The last time I read this book, perhaps seven years ago, I had much less comprehension of the enormity of such an undertaking, but years of playing WitP and AE have given me a much better grasp of things.

Interestingly, the Allies were concerned that the Germans would have a "heads up" on Allied deception plans since the Germans had done something similar on the Russian front in 1942. Operation Krelm was the massive German deception giving the appearance that the Wermacht offensive would be in the Moscow sector rather than the Stalingrad sector. It worked - and how!

But so did the Allied deception plan, Fortitude, for D-Day. This was a vast operation with tremendous payoff. Just one example: The Allies created the appearance that Norway was a target, a deception that fed Hitler's own preoccupation with that country. The Germans had 13 divisions in Norway. Ultimately, in May 1944, Rommel persuaded Hitler to withdraw five (or seven?) and send them to Normandy, but just then German intelligence received new information that Norway was to be targeted. Hitler cancelled the transfer.

For most (all?) AE players, deception plans are a hugely important, and immensely satisfying, part of the game. The use of SigInt, counter-SigInt (creating false reports), build-ups where you aren't going, mock invasion fleets, etc. is a critical part of the game. Consider, for instance, Q-Ball's deception in his game vs. Cuttlefish, Nemo's tactis, etc.

Whereas Operation Fortitudes are possible - even vital - in AE, I doubt they are really possible in other theater level games. For instance, is an Operation Krelm possible in WitE? Oh, you can create false build ups, but not the layered, elaborate, believable hoaxes so much a part of AE.

That's one reason I don't think WitE will eclipse AE.

Edited to correct number of German divisions in Norway.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/26/2011 4:08:13 PM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1326
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 7:28:15 PM   
Cribtop

Can't believe I missed this. John D, you seem like a good guy but nobody excludes Texas if I have anything to say about it!

Oddly, as a Texan who descends from South Carolinians I like both brisket and pulled pork, so perhaps I'm an anomaly. I will say that once the sauce gets too sweet you can count me out. I prefer to eat VERY hot BBQ sauce or even just Chilies. The key to good brisket is smoking for at least 15 hours, preferably 18. I have no patience for beef ribs, pork is where it's at in that department.

PS - Canoe, you are winning this in decisive fashion!

Post #: 1327
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 7:49:58 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I will ask this: can anyone beat North Carolina's hush puppies?

Will you please STOP IT??!!! I'm dyin' here. Twenty freakin' degrees, PB&J for breakfast, and I have to charge my car battery to go to Tar-J for a birthday present for Herself. And here you come along with your talk of warm summer nights on the patio in Charleston, steamed, spiced calabash-style shrimp, excellent cole slaw, and all the hush puppies I could eat.

Plus, I was thin. Yes. I was. Young, thin, and I had a white uniform that drove the ladies wild. See?
You and your hush puppies . . . Grrr.

Well, you would not want to get barbacue sauce on that uniform anyways.....

Crikey! John beat me to it.....

< Message edited by crsutton -- 1/25/2011 7:53:04 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 1328
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 8:05:56 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Well, you would not want to get barbacue sauce on that uniform anyways.....

Crikey! John beat me to it.....

That one in particular had no back. It was the Navy Exchange's "lace 'em in and take their pic" photographer's friend. MY chokers actually fit.

No, no sauce. Or beer. Or lint even. I don't know what it is about whites (the virginal aspect?), but in my limited experience they drive women nuts. I never got lucky in khakis or blues . . .

The Moose

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1329
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 8:09:08 PM   
Canoerebel

You're not going to post photos of the women you got lucky with, are you?

Post #: 1330
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 8:22:28 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

You're not going to post photos of the women you got lucky with, are you?

Who takes a camera into battle?

Civilians . . .

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1331
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 8:23:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Is this portion of our show illustrative of how this game is going now?

The Moose

Post #: 1332
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 8:44:54 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Ugh. If I'd been interested in the vagaries of the moose mating ritual, I'd be watching Marlin Perkins' reruns of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Post #: 1333
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 8:47:43 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Ugh. If I'd been interested in the vagaries of the moose mating ritual, I'd be watching Marlin Perkins' reruns of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Spoiler: Jim is still waiting on that promotion. And/or Marlin to get off his duff and wrestle that gator himself. Just once, old man.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1334
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 8:59:01 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

quote:

Spoiler: Jim is still waiting on that promotion. And/or Marlin to get off his duff and wrestle that gator himself. Just once, old man.

It was Marlin's job to mix drinks and roll . . . um, smokes. Of much greater importance to the production crew in the 70's.

Just noticed two small white dots in your picture (perhaps antennae) where your left shoulder and neck converge . . . some sort of remote control device? power supply?

Post #: 1335
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 9:01:24 PM   
Canoerebel

"Meanwhile, Jim is down by the river trying to give the wild ocelot an enema..." [camera pans to Jim Fowler, who in wrestling with the cat rolls down a hillside into a murky swamp, where a python, a crocodile, and a moose can be seen closing in for the kill.

That's Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom as I remember the plot line of nearly every show. I can even do a credible imitation of Marlin Perkins narrating.

P.S. The game is going very well for the Allies, Chickenboy, if I could just get Q-Ball to play like he used to.

Post #: 1336
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 9:01:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Just noticed two small white dots in your picture (perhaps antennae) where your left shoulder and neck converge . . . some sort of remote control device? power supply?

"My Favorite Officer Candidate", new from ABC this fall!!

Those are the aforementioned laces whereby I was trussed into this rig like a Christmas goose. They were running us through like . . . stuff through a goose at any rate. One Size Fits All--three lies in one.

The Moose

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 1337
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 9:05:10 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

"Meanwhile, Jim is down by the river trying to give the wild ocelot an enema..." [camera pans to Jim Fowler, who in wrestling with the cat rolls down a hillside into a murky swamp, where a python, a crocodile, and a moose can be seen closing in for the kill.

That's Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom as I remember the plot line of nearly every show. I can even do a credible imitation of Marlin Perkins narrating.

"Like the helpless moose preyed upon by the wily python, your family can be helpless if caught in a swamp after your demise. Let Mutual of Omaha be there for your family's needs."

(Marlin, sotto voce): "Somebody throw Jim a large firearm, please."

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1338
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 9:15:13 PM   
Cribtop

My fave was an old Bloom County cartoon: "While I study Eskimo mating rituals with the Chief's daughter, Jim is out on the ice wrestling a Polar Bear..."

Post #: 1339
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 9:18:11 PM   
Canoerebel

My favorite Bloom County, in turn, was when Opus was about to launch into his annual summer vacation reading of To Kill a Mockingbird....and learns to his horror that Oliver Stone has written a sequel: Kill Mo' Mockingbird: Boo Radley Loose in the Hood.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1340
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 10:01:24 PM   
Chickenboy

Definitely Bill the Cat sniffing dandelions. In spite of the billboards and placards aplenty warning that it would lead to spontaneous decapitation...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1341
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 10:06:04 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Sorely missed comic strip. Calvin & Hobbes too.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1342
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 10:11:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

As a father, I've tried to occasionally model myself after Calvin's dad with patent falsehoods writ large about the natural workings of the universe. Just enough to blow my son's mind...

Post #: 1343
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 10:12:55 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

Definitely Bill the Cat sniffing dandelions. In spite of the billboards and placards aplenty warning that it would lead to spontaneous decapitation...

*ack*!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1344
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 10:14:49 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

As a father, I've tried to occasionally model myself after Calvin's dad with patent falsehoods writ large about the natural workings of the universe. Just enough to blow my son's mind...

Between John's nascent JFB grade schooler and your Calvin & Hobbes influenced child, I fear for our future.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1345
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 11:13:25 PM   
ny59giants

I still have most, if not all, of the Bloom County books that came out and about half dozen of Calvin and Hobbes. Opus was great for a person going through a lot of personal changes in his late 20's.

Post #: 1346
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/25/2011 11:18:40 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

quote:

quote:

Between John's nascent JFB grade schooler and your Calvin & Hobbes influenced child, I fear for our future.

My child is NOT a 'nascent' JFB--he is an ASCENDENT JFB!

BANZAI!

Thanks for remembering and, unfortunately due to NO SNOW this winter, we have not had a chance to work on the Mark TWO version of the Japanese Snow Fort.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 1347
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/26/2011 12:27:46 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Thanks for remembering and, unfortunately due to NO SNOW this winter, we have not had a chance to work on the Mark TWO version of the Japanese Snow Fort.

The citizens of the Village of Northport are happy to report that we have your snow. It was mistakenly delivered here. We would appreciate it if you would come and pick it up. We don't know what to do with it anymore. We have taken to throwing it in the harbor but Northport is probably only a level 2 or 3 port at best so we hay be running out of room if we get the promised addtional foot tomorrow.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1348
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/26/2011 12:36:43 AM   
John 3rd

I think we've gotten as much snow in La Salle, CO as Dan has in his home town in Georgia!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 1349
RE: One Weird Battle - 1/26/2011 1:43:14 AM   
vettim89

quote:

Well you could pull a rabbit out of your hat! ,sigh., knowing many will not get that.

Oh and its, "While I watch from the safety of the Range Rover, Jim will collect the semen sample from the bull rhinocerous"

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 1350
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI