Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

intrcepting hostile fleets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> intrcepting hostile fleets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/26/2011 9:30:46 PM   
elanaahova

The joint chiefs are really 'disappointed' in me. My fleets were well prepared. Long range sensors were up. Ships had proximity sensors deployed.

The frakken Lizoids had an invasion fleet vectoring on a colony just inside the perimeter.. sneaky snakes, they are. I tasked the defense fleet to intercept the lizards. Well, my fleet when out, and kept moving towards the last location of the target. The fleet commander could plainly see the liz fleet.. yet he ignored their current position, and warped right past them.

Question: On the system maps, ships will 'follow' targets, et Does 'following' a target on the big map ever work, with better tech, or must one always move diredtly to the enemies targey planet?
Post #: 1
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/27/2011 7:25:04 AM   
Data

from my experience this is an unfortunate truth....they always zero on the position known when the command was given; i also suspected missing continual sensor updates but from your description it seems this does not help either
more so, once the interceptors reach their destination and don't find their targets they forget the orders; is it the same for you? very nasty bug at any rate

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 2
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/27/2011 9:54:14 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: elanaahova

Question: On the system maps, ships will 'follow' targets, et Does 'following' a target on the big map ever work, with better tech, or must one always move diredtly to the enemies targey planet?

I am not sure about this myself. I think (without proof) that intercepting ships may sometimes follow. I have the hypothesis (or hope ) that the success rate in interception may rise when advanced scanner arrays are researched/installed. These things must be good for something.

But if you have a vector of where an enemy fleet is going, it is always best to wait for them at the target.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 1/27/2011 9:55:01 AM >

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 3
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/27/2011 11:08:39 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

from my experience this is an unfortunate truth....they always zero on the position known when the command was given; i also suspected missing continual sensor updates but from your description it seems this does not help either
more so, once the interceptors reach their destination and don't find their targets they forget the orders; is it the same for you? very nasty bug at any rate

I agree Data. But I believe for realism that the premise is that since the ships/fleet is 'at warp'
per se, that is high hyperspeed from point A to point B, then drop out of warp, that is what will
occur. Remember that if you notice the cursor on the map when you're about to choose a move
destination for a ship or fleet, there are map coordinates showing. So technically, you can not
only target just a planet/moon/asteroid, etc., but a specific spot. For example, if while scouting,
one of my exploration ships comes across a debris field of vessels, I not only note the system or
gas cloud designation, but the 'actual coordinates' of the center of the field. For my own
well-trained navigators at least, it makes it easier to send ships 'exactly' to a spot on the map.
Although I will agree with sbach2o's statement to elana above. Just as I do, I send my fleet to the
targeted system, park them by the target planet or station I believe they're after, set the fleet to
'engage nearby targets', and BLOW THEM OUT OF MY SKY when they arrive!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/27/2011 12:02:14 PM   
Data

i tend to agree with the Sona guy on this one, altough I would still like to see this feature improved

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 5
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/27/2011 4:00:09 PM   
WoodMan

If you can see the ships, all that is required is a right click.  

Ah, I should point out I'm not familiar with the advisors who point out a fleet and ask if you want to send a fleet to intercept. I play with advisors off, so I never get that option anyway. Would be nice if we got the arrows shown in that mode even when advisors are off, so I can see incoming enemy fleets though.

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 1/27/2011 4:01:43 PM >

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 6
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/27/2011 5:13:01 PM   
Shark7

If you can get a deep cover spy in, you can see where they are going...best just to head there and wait to ambush them.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 7
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/27/2011 7:09:16 PM   
elanaahova

Yes, my ships had prox arrays, and the area was all within range of LR sensors. When i tasked my fleet to intercept, as I recall, the red crosshairs came up when I moused over the enemy fleet. In any case, I have learned my lesson. Go throw a party at their destination... give them a 'warm' welcome. Forget hyperspace intercepts. even when they scan fully on prox-arrays AND LR sensors.

In a related vein, I have been frustrated with the interplay between individual ship behavior, as set in the creation (design) screen vs. the fleet ordered behaviors. I finally settled for creating a 'fleet' out of two, or three fleets of ships designed to implement specific doctrine. Seems to show some promise. Anyone else experimental in these areas?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 8
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/30/2011 2:02:01 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: elanaahova

In a related vein, I have been frustrated with the interplay between individual ship behavior, as set in the creation (design) screen vs. the fleet ordered behaviors. I finally settled for creating a 'fleet' out of two, or three fleets of ships designed to implement specific doctrine. Seems to show some promise. Anyone else experimental in these areas?

Do you mean the retreat and engagement range settings? I haven't noticed anything unusual about this, aside from fleets idiotically resetting to "engage nearest" every bloody time I tell them to kill something, instead of back to "system targets".... Argh.

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 9
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/30/2011 5:54:27 PM   
elanaahova

quote:

Do you mean the retreat and engagement range settings? I haven't noticed anything unusual about this, aside from fleets idiotically resetting to "engage nearest" every bloody time I tell them to kill something, instead of back to "system targets".... Argh.

yes, you nailed it.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 10
RE: intrcepting hostile fleets - 1/30/2011 6:46:45 PM   
Data

it's a known issue, some improvment was done but i guess it's not enough
there are also two levels for these setting, there was an interesting thread where even a solution was given that makes them not lose the stance
don't remeber exactly the thread or solution but i think the setting from the game options or policy or something like that takes prevalence to what you set on the actual ship / fleet

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> intrcepting hostile fleets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI