Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I would like to know a few things about this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> I would like to know a few things about this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/19/2011 9:50:25 PM   
kyle8

It seems to me this is a monster game like the boardgame Europa Scorched Earth which I have played.

My Eyes often glaze over if I have too much to do in any computer game. So what I want to know is;

Can I automate functions such as air cap? Can I give orders to sub commanders and have them carry them out?

Can I automate a portion of the front and concentrate on only a part of it?
Post #: 1
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/19/2011 9:55:09 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: kyle8

It seems to me this is a monster game like the boardgame Europa Scorched Earth which I have played.

My Eyes often glaze over if I have too much to do in any computer game. So what I want to know is;

The WitE is quite manageable... believe us... the sheer size should not intimidate you...

quote:

Can I automate functions such as air cap?

Yes - you can use AI to do your air missions!

quote:

Can I give orders to sub commanders and have them carry them out?

No. Sorry... this is not CotA / BftB...

quote:

Can I automate a portion of the front and concentrate on only a part of it?

No.

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to kyle8)
Post #: 2
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/19/2011 10:36:21 PM   
Fänrik Stål

If you start with any of the full campaigns as a beginner you will most likely be overwhelmed. But start with the shorter scenarios and you will get a better understanding for how to use the various types of units, and after a while the campaigns won't seem so daunting.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 3
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/20/2011 12:46:47 AM   
Ketza

The game flows much like Scorched earth/Fire in the east. The initial german set up is the same and the German armor moves just as aggressively. You have to be very wary of German armor in clear terrain much like the Europa system.

Soviets in swamps are as big of a pain in the butt as scorched earth and your supplies break down at aprox the same time and places on the map.

The best thing is the computer tracks supply and command and control as well as the "ants" (battalion level support units) so you cannot do gamey things such as use a battalion of flak or stuggs to capture a rail crossing and break supply for a whole front.

The one loser with this game coming out is it was published about the same time as the updated Europa gamne which is either out or due out soon with a 200-300 dollar price tag.

It was a purchase I would have made if WITE had not come out. Now the money goes in some girls g-string in a seedy little establishment to be named later.

(in reply to Fänrik Stål)
Post #: 4
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/27/2011 9:24:06 PM   
kyle8

Well I will be buying the new Europa because I much prefer gaming with my buddies in person, but I do computer games for the times when I am alone and bored.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 5
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/27/2011 9:54:37 PM   
Zovs

Sorry guys the new Europa game that you mention is really a hype, don't buy into. John Astell and Rich Banner pulled their licenses from HMS/GRD, which was trying to sue various people and have stolen a large some of people (who supported Europa and paid into the new Total War 10 + years ago) and the some jack wagon from Scotland begin suing people in the states it's all a fracked up mess. New Europa is dead, it died when Winston Hamilton died.

Sorry to break it to you, but your best bet with any paper war game system is to look elsewhere. The Gamers OCS system is still good and being produced, and Proud Monster/Death and Destruction (old Command Magz game) is being re-released by Compass games, its a 4 mapper.

So after Europa died I searched and searched for a new East Front fix and guess what I found it int GG WitE.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to kyle8)
Post #: 6
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/27/2011 9:56:35 PM   
Flaviusx

The Proud Monster remake looks very sweet, I'm prolly going to pick that one up myself.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 7
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/28/2011 2:59:11 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

The game flows much like Scorched earth/Fire in the east. The initial german set up is the same and the German armor moves just as aggressively. You have to be very wary of German armor in clear terrain much like the Europa system.

Soviets in swamps are as big of a pain in the butt as scorched earth and your supplies break down at aprox the same time and places on the map.

The best thing is the computer tracks supply and command and control as well as the "ants" (battalion level support units) so you cannot do gamey things such as use a battalion of flak or stuggs to capture a rail crossing and break supply for a whole front.

The one loser with this game coming out is it was published about the same time as the updated Europa gamne which is either out or due out soon with a 200-300 dollar price tag.

It was a purchase I would have made if WITE had not come out. Now the money goes in some girls g-string in a seedy little establishment to be named later.

Money well spent !

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 8
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/28/2011 4:34:03 AM   
bloomstombs2

All I have to say about this game is that it is simply the best game ever made for this genera.

Its easy to play and hard to master. You can play out of the box and get that feeling of war, and you can keep playing and learn it is so much deeper than meets the eye.

From top to bottom, the interface, attention to detail, the beauty of the map, ease of play, for such magnitude, it boggles the mind that this game is so enjoyable.

I have played all the TOAW series as well as a different (but still enjoyable at least until HOI3) the Hoi series.

I also played games like his prior, (Stalingrad I think it was called). And nothing compares to what this game does.

Nothing.

They did it right and they deserve credit. Not often you will hear that out of me.

< Message edited by bloomstombs -- 1/28/2011 5:03:07 AM >

(in reply to kyle8)
Post #: 9
RE: I would like to know a few things about this game - 1/28/2011 5:02:48 AM   
Zovs

Flav,

Me too I think, 4 maps is hard to resist and Don Johnson has done a wonderful job redesigning Ty's design.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to bloomstombs2)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> I would like to know a few things about this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI