Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Budget Games to start?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Budget Games to start? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 4:12:20 AM   
Doant1946

hi all
I wanted to get in to war gaming..i'm really ancient 65 though,,

I was wondering about cutting my teeth on a cheapo to start like BOA or Napoleons campaigns .....Are they very difficult to learn....?,,thought of Spartan or Troy but the reviews around the net ain't to great..

any suggestions for a cheapie to start/
Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 4:18:09 AM   
junk2drive

How about free? Steel Panthers WAW is free. Board game style with hexes and turns. Several tutorial scenarios to get you started. WWII

Others would advise you better on your other choices.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 2
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 5:02:22 AM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gorland

hi all

I was wondering about cutting my teeth on a cheapo to start like BOA or Napoleons campaigns .....Are they very difficult to learn....?,,thought of Spartan or Troy but the reviews around the net ain't to great..

Tom

I think you can get AACW for something like 8.99 from Newegg, someone said. AACW is the same engine (mostly) as BoA. It can be a little hard to learn, but I don't think it is too hard. If you put "a little" time into it, you can understand it fairly easily.

And a lot of people really like it. AACW = Aegod's American Civil War.

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 3
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 5:10:48 AM   
hgilmer3

And free shipping.

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 4
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 5:12:27 AM   
Doant1946

That sounds great
Thanks

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 5
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 5:17:22 AM   
RangerX3X

This is just my 2 cents but I would suggest either Highway to the Reich or Conquest of the Aegean. HTTR is cheaper as it is an older game of the two, but both are within reasonable price points and are easy to learn if you follow the tutorials.

There is a free demo for the newest game, Battles from the Bulge which will give you a very good overview (includes video tutorials) of the latest game as well as COTA, not so much HTTR but very similar nonetheless.

BftB is currently overpriced at the moment in my opinion, however HTTR and COTA are excellent values that if you get into them can provide many hours of gaming enjoyment, regardless of age.

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 6
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 5:43:10 AM   
Doant1946

I'm getting highway to the Reich right now..also ordered the americas cilvil war from Newegg

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 7
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 7:02:30 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

BftB is currently overpriced at the moment in my opinion....

Ah, didn't you hear? There was a permanent price reduction and Now BftB costs no more than CotA's original price.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 8
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 5:01:37 PM   
jwarrenw13

I thought Spartan and Troy were great games. Simple to learn but very interesting. Just my opinion.

One other thing for someone new. Be sure your computer system supports the game. If you have an older system, some newer games may not run or may not run well. If you have a new system, Win 7/wide screen, etc., some older games may be balky. Read the forums. If you have a problem or question with a game, ask on the game forum.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 9
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 8:25:08 PM   
diablo1

quote:

....?,,thought of Spartan or Troy but the reviews around the net ain't to great..

Say what?! Spartan is an excellent game and a great starter game also. It has hands off combat and command control much like the beefy Battles from the Bulge. Those reviews you read are probably from rts fans who couldn't get into the true command & control of the combat engine. Spartan & Troy are grrrrrrrrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaaaat!

X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 10
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 8:36:34 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

Those reviews you read are probably from rts fans who couldn't get into the true command & control of the combat engine. Spartan & Troy are grrrrrrrrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaaaat!

I cannot stress enough how true this is. I run into the same thing with Lord of the Rings Online. World of Warcraft players come over, don't find magic users and warriors in bikinis and bash the game.

We are a niche base. People look at our basic graphics and charts and say "whaaaaaaaaat? No 3d?"

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 11
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 8:40:05 PM   
diablo1

I really don't like 3D in wargames or strategy games much except like Combat Mission or Panzer Command. I didn't like it in Civilization or that new Elemental game from Stardoc. I don't like my cities to spread all over the map when I'm building. The total war game Empire Total War is doing that as well. Please leave cities as popup windows and quit ruing the maps.

X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 12
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 9:36:55 PM   
andym

Gorland have a look at John Tillers Napoleonic set.Easy to play and great games.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/321/details/John.Tiller's.Battleground.Napoleonic.Wars

< Message edited by andym -- 1/30/2011 9:37:06 PM >

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 13
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 10:12:04 PM   
NefariousKoel

I would think that the AGEOD engine games and HttR, etc. are higher on the learning curve.  I don't think I'd suggest those as a first game for a beginner, even though they're good games. 

However, there are plenty posts for helping out with learning them, especially on AGEOD's forum so buying AACW for $9, you can't go wrong.

If you get the civil war grand strategy down, and want something on a more tactical level, go pick up Scourge of War, or it's older predecessor, Take Command 2nd Manassas. I believe the latter can be had for about $6 - $10 from Gamersgate. Amazing wargames.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 1/30/2011 10:13:18 PM >

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 14
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 10:49:48 PM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

I would think that the AGEOD engine games and HttR, etc. are higher on the learning curve.  I don't think I'd suggest those as a first game for a beginner, even though they're good games. 

However, there are plenty posts for helping out with learning them, especially on AGEOD's forum so buying AACW for $9, you can't go wrong.

If you get the civil war grand strategy down, and want something on a more tactical level, go pick up Scourge of War, or it's older predecessor, Take Command 2nd Manassas. I believe the latter can be had for about $6 - $10 from Gamersgate. Amazing wargames.

Yeah, I kind of thought about that after I mentioned AACW, but since it was 8.99 I thought, well, you can't hardly go wrong with 8.99.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 15
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 10:55:30 PM   
NefariousKoel

I think the games that have a lot of focus on command structure should always be considered at a Difficult level because not everyone can dive right into organizing Corps, Divisons, Brigades, Regiments, Battalions, yada yada without taking a lot of time to wrap their brain around it.

Though it may come naturally to some after a time, and seem as nothing.

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 16
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 11:39:19 PM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

BftB is currently overpriced at the moment in my opinion....

Ah, didn't you hear? There was a permanent price reduction and Now BftB costs no more than CotA's original price.

As I said, it is currently overpriced. I've played COTA and I have played the demo of BftB. It is not worth $59.99.

I paid $49.99 for COTA for the download and the physical shipment and never received the game. So for the $39.99 I technically paid for the download COTA is a good game, however I know enought about BftB to know it is not worth $59.99.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 17
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/30/2011 11:41:12 PM   
Nistenf

Wait was it really $90?!

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 18
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/31/2011 12:20:10 AM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nistenf

Wait was it really $90?!

My understanding was BftB came out and just until recently when they announced the price drop for Panther Games was priced at $69.99 for the digital download and $79.99 for the physical shipment.

(in reply to Nistenf)
Post #: 19
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/31/2011 12:59:55 AM   
pmelheck1

Well, My first question would be what are your interests as far as history goes.  What era interests you most?  I don't worry to much about reviews of wargames as most reviewers are not war games and try to compare them to more mainstream games.  If you are looking for good reviews of war games I would look to war game sites and even then you may like a title other people hate.

Are you looking for free or inexpensive?  Free their are Steel Pathers World at War someone mentioned.  Their is also free matrix editions of PACWAR and War in Russia (not to be confused with the new release).  Titans of Steel if your into Mech combat.  Under products on the main page their is a budget subcategory you can look through to see if anything suits your tastes.  Some of the titles are not exactly budget price wise however showing War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition.  While not cheap I will say in terms of play time it has without doubt been the best investment of a game I have made.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 20
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/31/2011 2:40:10 AM   
bairdlander2

For grand strategy I would recomend Hearts of Iron anthology($10),Strategic Command($9).For tactical Cross of Iron($26)

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 21
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/31/2011 2:46:06 AM   
Nistenf

Where does Cross of Iron cost $26?

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 22
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/31/2011 2:56:51 AM   
bairdlander2

Sorry I beleive COI was that price at X mas sale,I see it is $42 for dd.Cant beleive its still that price after 4 years

(in reply to Nistenf)
Post #: 23
RE: Budget Games to start? - 1/31/2011 3:29:00 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Uncommon Valor is cheap and still incredibly fun

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 24
RE: Budget Games to start? - 2/2/2011 5:02:47 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

hi all

Tom

Hi,

Check out the pages below for some of the great mods made from People's General. These are complete games; they are FREE; and they will give you an excellent taste for wargaming:

http://www.pegww2.net/Pages/install.htm

http://www.pegww2.net/Pages/WebpageRMY.htm

http://www.pegww2.net/Pages/original.htm

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 25
RE: Budget Games to start? - 2/2/2011 6:21:21 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

hi all

I was wondering about cutting my teeth on a cheapo to start like BOA or Napoleons campaigns ...

I have BoA; it's a great game, but it requires a degree of manual dexterity as you must click and drag units.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Doant1946)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Budget Games to start? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI