Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Rail Repair?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Rail Repair? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 6:51:06 AM   
76mm

Hi, I checked in the manual (section re rail repair), but could not find an answer to this question: How can I get Soviet rail repair units to appear? I'm heading into the blizzard and am hoping to push the Germans back, but don't seem to have any rail repair units. I tried creating/adding a RR construction support unit to an Army HQ, but it didn't seem to appear on board, so I'm not sure how to use them?
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 7:31:42 AM   
PMCN

The RR construction unit probably moved to the Front HQ of the Army it was attached to.  If you have Const Bn they repair rail as well.

Best thing to do is find your existing RR construction units and put them in front HQs.  You should have had a bunch attached to the Army HQ's 20,21,22 (I think this is correct).  Move them to the fronts.  If they don't exist then build some RR Construction units in Stavka.

The work is done automatically, and there is an advantage to leaving these units in the higher HQ as they can be used out to the support range of the HQ in question.  So RR units or Cnst Bn in STAVKA can repair rails up to 90 hexs from moscow.

Just be advised that in my experience the computer routines don't prioritize the use of the RR units, I almost never saw mine used.  Also the Cnst Bn float upwards after the repair work so they all end up in front HQs.  So expect that it will be a nightmare to re-organize after the repairs are all done.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 7:52:13 AM   
76mm

But do they appear on map like the German RR repair units? I sure haven't seen any, but who knows maybe they are buried somewhere in the masses of units. Also, aren't there any that I can actually control?

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 7:59:50 AM   
PMCN

They do appear on the map when they are repairing rail and they also have a stacking limit of 3 so you need to keep at least one slot free in the hex.  The symbol is a shovel so just have a look on a damaged rail hex and you should find one eventually.

You don't get controllable ones till 44 I believe.  Look in your reinforcement list and you will see some sort of N-something unit that shows up in 44(?), those are your controllable rail units.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 12:42:09 PM   
Montbrun

They appear as reinforcements. Check your reinforcement schedule.

Brad

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 1:02:37 PM   
76mm

Great, thanks. So the non-player-controlled ones won't actually appear on-map until they start repairing things? If so, that would explain it since I have not yet started any kind of advance (Nov '41).

(in reply to Montbrun)
Post #: 6
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 1:11:04 PM   
cookie monster

You need damaged rail before the auto repair crews appear

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 1:12:49 PM   
gradenko2k

You can form Railroad Construction Brigades. These are support units that will automatically work to repair any piece of damaged rail that they come across. They are not under the player's direct control, but you can exert some form of control by assigning them to specific HQs, since they only work within a certain radius of an HQ.

If they can't find anything to repair, they'll help combat units build fortifications.

The rail-road repair units that are under your direct control don't come into play until 1944 on the Soviet side

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 8
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 1:19:26 PM   
PMCN

Also neither the RR construction Bde or Cnst Bn will repair rail adjacent to enemy units though they will repair it if you have a unit there, no enemy units adjacent, the repair starts and the enemy moves up in their turn.  They will finish working but they just won't start work.

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 9
RE: Soviet Rail Repair? - 1/31/2011 8:00:10 PM   
HHI

The SU rail repair units work great. Put a slew of them in STAVKA, which can and will operate almost anywhere and a handful in each Front HQ. Later, when Red Army deep penetration tactics become practical, I put four in each Tank Army, which seemed to work. Use the larger units, which come in as reinforcements later to follow the main penetration and the smaller ones fill in the myriad of smaller rail sections. You seem to be able to build any number of them. There must be a down side to this, but I don't know what it is.

HHi

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Rail Repair? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI