Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies and errors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies and errors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies and er... - 11/20/2010 6:46:26 PM   
Plutone

Hello, I bought the game some days ago and Im'running trgough the tutorials lessons, but, no matter which database I use there are always errors or inconsistencies between the instructions and the actual situation, sometimes up to the point to make the lesson unplayable.

In my opinion, since tutorials are addressed to inexperienced users they must be near perfect or often will drive the new user away.

I can, if there is interest in this, correct some of the errors in the lessions with the mission editor or simply write them here for you to correct.

Let me know

Ciao
P.R.S.
Post #: 1
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/20/2010 7:53:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

PRS,

Thank you, any feedback like that is very much appreciated and will be used in the next update. Just to confirm, is this with the latest official release of Harpoon 3 or one of the archival releases?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 2
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/21/2010 12:05:43 AM   
Plutone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
[...]
Thank you, any feedback like that is very much appreciated and will be used in the next update. Just to confirm, is this with the latest official release of Harpoon 3 or one of the archival releases?
[...]

Yes, I'm referring to H3ANW 3.10

Here is the first report

Lesson I
DB:ANW-2.4.3 The lesson starts with a zoom window already opened, this may lead to some confusion to a new player since the manual (section 5.2.1) refer only to the main Window in icon form (which is actually covered by the zoom window)

DB: H3 Standard OK

DB: HUD3 1.5.0 OK

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/21/2010 12:48:17 AM   
Plutone

Lesson II
DB:ANW-2.4.3 OK

DB: H3 Standard OK

DB: HUD3 1.5.0 OK

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 4
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/21/2010 2:22:53 PM   
Plutone

Lesson III

DB:ANW-2.4.3

Tutorial sections 5.5.4 to 5.5.7

• The two air contacts have their sensor status exchanged
  • The submerged contact appears should not appear before the visual ID of the air contact

Tutorial sections 5.5.16

• Activating the ECM on the Lewis B. Puller seems to have no effect (the q and x symbols don't appear)

DB: H3 Standard

• The air contact on NE is never detectet
  • The second air contact (the one closing to our position) is flying at Low altitude (31m) so it is detected only by visual
  • The surface Contact has all of his active sensors off; whe she activate the ECM the x symbol on the puller remain untill the end of mission
  • No sub contact is ever detected during the entire mission

DB: HUD3 1.5.0

• Ok

All DBs

• The NE air contact should have a commercial transponder active but but this is not reported on the contact details by any version of the scenario

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 5
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/22/2010 10:18:04 PM   
Plutone

Lesson IV

Tutorial section 5.6.3

• The manual instruct to select an ARM missile to engage the first surface contact but our Puller has none equipped

• OK

• The first surface contact have radar turned off (this prevent the use of the ARM missile as requested)

All DBs:
Tutorial section 5.6.3 Manual Engagements with Groups

• the manual says the weapon allocation will be split between the two contacts that form the group, in game both missiles are allocated to the first contact

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 6
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/23/2010 1:02:53 AM   
uncleharpoon

Howdy

Drat!

We DID rework the tutorials over a year ago to make them consistent. So we obviously got our wires crossed while we were wrapping up production.

Thanks for pointing out the issues, we'll get this queued up to fix.

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 7
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/25/2010 10:48:26 PM   
Plutone

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncleharpoon
Howdy

Drat!

We DID rework the tutorials over a year ago to make them consistent. So we obviously got our wires crossed while we were wrapping up production.

Thanks for pointing out the issues, we'll get this queued up to fix.

This probably means that you have done a lot of work on the game and the DBs

Here the fifth report

Lesson V

• The Bad Guys submarine is a November class and not an Akula as stated in the manual

• OK

note: the akula was hit by one of his own torpedo!?

• ok

note: the akula in this DB is much more difficult to deal with

(in reply to uncleharpoon)
Post #: 8
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/28/2010 5:51:26 PM   
Plutone

Lesson VI

• Good Guys 1 airbase is too small to launch the E3-sentry

• There is no stratotanker (airborne or landed)

• The bad guys land target is a bunker instead of a fuel depot, this make the loadout suggested by the manual ineffective

Note: The Bad Guys platforms are much more aggressive in this DB and the seahawk's MK48 are are not able to lock on target (but this may be due to my own inexperience)

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 9
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/29/2010 1:51:36 AM   
Bucks

quote:

* The bad guys land target is a bunker instead of a fuel depot, this make the loadout suggested by the manual ineffective

Note: The Bad Guys platforms are much more aggressive in this DB and the seahawk's MK48 are are not able to lock on target (but this may be due to my own inexperience)

P.R.S.

Thanks for the "testing" great reports here.

I've added the Fuel Dump. Base now consists of fuel facilities, and the Cmd bunker. I've changed the victory conditions as well so you have to attack the fuel dumps to win, not just a facility.

I'll look at the Mk46 Torpedoes for you as well, try attacking from the rear aspect. Most passive sonar "noise" is developed from a sub's rear aspect and you can also increase your chances of a critical hit that might prove fatal using this method.

Thanks again for passing on this information, very helpful and most appreciated.

Cheers

Darren

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 10
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/29/2010 11:16:08 AM   
Plutone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bucks

P.R.S.

Thanks for the "testing" great reports here.

I've added the Fuel Dump. Base now consists of fuel facilities, and the Cmd bunker. I've changed the victory conditions as well so you have to attack the fuel dumps to win, not just a facility.

I'll look at the Mk46 Torpedoes for you as well, try attacking from the rear aspect. Most passive sonar "noise" is developed from a sub's rear aspect and you can also increase your chances of a critical hit that might prove fatal using this method.

Thanks again for passing on this information, very helpful and most appreciated.

Cheers

Darren

Happy to be of help!
Thank you for looking at the Mk46, I have another doubt about the seahawk but I have not had time to check in the tabletop rules, during the mission after I launch the first tropedo I must wait a lot of time before the second can be launched (like it need to be reloaded); but aren't the torpedos loaded on two different tubes?

Ciao
Riccardo

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 11
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 11/29/2010 11:24:12 AM   
Plutone

quote:

ORIGINAL: koelbach

Hi P.R.S.,

great to see guys playing, testing and giving feedback. If you are through with the tutorials, I´d be happy if you´d continue with the PASON Battleset. Those scens are for "advanced beginners".

Ok, I'll do that as soon as I'll finish with the tutorials

quote:

When you reached PASON 6, you´ve made Harpoon Hardcore Player Status. :)

Do I get a medal and/or a promotion ?

Ciao
Riccardo
Post #: 12
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 12/6/2010 2:11:58 AM   
uncleharpoon

Ok

So we have a couple of facts in motion so let me recapture what we have going on:
1. We have an "original" set of tutorials and text changes prepared by Gregg Smith in 2009. Those were supposed to go into the game.
2. We have Darren Buckley and Adam Nagao (AGSI) who reworked the HUD3 version of the tutorials and provided commentary on any issues. I've posted this to our Wiki here:
Wiki HUD3 Tutorial Update
3. We have another crew working on updating the ANW version of the tutorial.
and
4. P.R.S. pointed out a set of differences which Darren looked into to produce the fixes above.

Gregg (who is a US Navy type) suggested platform swaps and some other tune-ups to freshen up the tutorials, as has Ralf and others. If someone wants to take this on - we'll do the QC on the work and then post it. The caveat is that both the scenario files AND the tutorial text will have to be updated. I have the tutorial text in Word so it won't be hard... it's just important that it be done as a set.

Thanks for everyone pointing out and pitching in!

(in reply to Plutone)
Post #: 13
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 12/6/2010 11:01:36 PM   
Plutone

Lesson VII

• OK for all databases

Post #: 14
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 12/6/2010 11:03:22 PM   
Plutone

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncleharpoon

Ok

So we have a couple of facts in motion so let me recapture what we have going on:
1. We have an "original" set of tutorials and text changes prepared by Gregg Smith in 2009. Those were supposed to go into the game.
2. We have Darren Buckley and Adam Nagao (AGSI) who reworked the HUD3 version of the tutorials and provided commentary on any issues. I've posted this to our Wiki here:
Wiki HUD3 Tutorial Update
3. We have another crew working on updating the ANW version of the tutorial.
and
4. P.R.S. pointed out a set of differences which Darren looked into to produce the fixes above.

Gregg (who is a US Navy type) suggested platform swaps and some other tune-ups to freshen up the tutorials, as has Ralf and others. If someone wants to take this on - we'll do the QC on the work and then post it. The caveat is that both the scenario files AND the tutorial text will have to be updated. I have the tutorial text in Word so it won't be hard... it's just important that it be done as a set.

Thanks for everyone pointing out and pitching in!

Can I help?

Ciao
Riccardo

Post #: 15
RE: Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies an... - 2/1/2011 9:47:01 PM   
saruwatarikaito

great post, some excellent positive feedback for improving the game.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> Harpoon3ANW Ultimate - tutorials inconsistencies and errors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI