Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Top commanders and HQ level

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Top commanders and HQ level Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top commanders and HQ level - 2/2/2011 2:50:32 PM   
Klydon

I went through the forum here and did not really see a thread on this, but I am looking for some opinions/preferences on where players are putting their best generals.

Case in point, is it better to have say a v Manstein as a corps commander or as a army commander? Obviously these questions apply to the better Russian commanders as well that are capable of either Army or Front commands.
Post #: 1
RE: Top commanders and HQ level - 2/2/2011 4:18:39 PM   
stormbringer3

I hope someone answers you because I have wrestled with this same question myself.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 2
RE: Top commanders and HQ level - 2/2/2011 4:53:33 PM   
krieger

I try to alocate my best generals in important positions, for example I transfered von Manstein from LVI PzK (Josef Harpe took charge of this PzK) to AGS HQ and von Rundstedt took charge of OKH after Halder was dismissed in March 42. Try to use good generals in Korps that dont have them (6-7 in morale, initiative, admin and mech or inf -depending on the type of unit their gonna command-). I have done this after the blizzard in most AGS armies, Hollidt took charge of a Corps in 17th Army, etc.

When von Kleist (1.PzArmee) was KIA, von Mackensen took charge of 1.PzArmee and Herman Balck took charge of III PzK (former Mackensen's command).

< Message edited by krieger -- 2/2/2011 4:56:37 PM >

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 3
RE: Top commanders and HQ level - 2/2/2011 8:57:17 PM   
Alex Gilbert

I am certainly no expert, but I have been keeping the high inf/mech leaders in the corps and the high admin/initiative leaders in higher HQ- seems to work well. Manstein is a (good) problem as he has some of the best initiative/admin and some of the best inf/mech ratings. Though in '41 I have other things to spend admin points on, so most of the reassigning generals happens in '42. At that point, I usually have Manstein commanding a panzer army.

(in reply to krieger)
Post #: 4
RE: Top commanders and HQ level - 2/3/2011 6:52:31 PM   
bevans

This is a really good question and one that I also have puzzled on. Some choices are obvious, it is the von Mansteins of the game that one wonders about - probably because the way the command system is nearly completely opaque (at least to me). Will Manstein be better leading your best Pz Army or your most problematic AG? Historically Manstein and Model were the best of the AG commanders, and presumably Guderian would have been as well, so that is where I stick them because whatever complaints I may have about the game/developers, they are inarguably pretty anal retentive about historical accuracy (attempted, if not always delivered). So go with historical precedents and hope for the best. That said, an explanation of how it actually works and what is best would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to Alex Gilbert)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Top commanders and HQ level Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI