Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 5:29:07 PM   
AirGee

Hello all,

I've been a casual player since UV, but recently been completely hooked by the depth and scope of AE. I'm also a forum lurker. I enjoy the soundtrack but it gets kind of old after awhile so I've been running Pandora in the background.

I saw a post recently by Canoerebel with a Glenn Miller song and it inspired me to share the radio station I created and have been listening too while playing the game. I was inspired to have it play music that Radio Tokyo would have played during the Zero Hour and such.

Here it is
Tokyo Rose Radio

I started with Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey and have just been letting it play. I've thumbed down songs mostly because they were recorded after the war. It will still occasionally play a song recorded in the 50's or 60's, but oh well. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have done this, but I think this station has evolved into a fitting soundtrack to the game.

By the way, this is the best war game ever made.

Enjoy!

< Message edited by AirGee -- 12/31/2010 5:35:14 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 6:50:48 PM   
Sredni

quote:

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

I keep meaning to figure out how to mask my location on the interwebs but meh lol. I hate it when websites restrict my access or change where I'm going due to my location. If I wanted to go to google.ca I would type google.ca instead of google.com. Big brother is on the internet and telling us what to do.

ah well. I suspect a lot of AE's players will get hit by this message if they check out pandora.

(in reply to AirGee)
Post #: 2
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 7:01:18 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I keep meaning to figure out how to mask my location on the interwebs but meh lol. I hate it when websites restrict my access or change where I'm going due to my location. If I wanted to go to google.ca I would type google.ca instead of google.com. Big brother is on the internet and telling us what to do.

ah well. I suspect a lot of AE's players will get hit by this message if they check out pandora.

I use VYPRVPN by golden from as a secure VPN solution. It's supposed to mask IP address and randomize locations. They say it works, but I'm in the US so I can't tell.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 3
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 7:34:47 PM   
Canoerebel

I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 7:59:20 PM   
jazman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You are not required to understand this.

BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 8:27:01 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Pandora radio is a streaming radio service only available in the U.S. The service checks I.P. address to see if you are in the U.S. There are services like VyprVPN that encrypt ones web traffic so it can't be read. A side benefit, is that the servers are located in the U.S. (as well as Asia and Europe) so that your originating I.P. can be configured to look like it is in the U.S.
Seems like lots of work to listen to Music from the 1940's, but to each his own.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 6
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 8:33:53 PM   
Canoerebel

Once again, I bow to the incredible amount of knowledge in a wide variety of fields displayed with regularity in the forums. (Oh, I know some of you guys are saying, "Huh? This stuff is no big deal!" But it's Greek to me).

Post #: 7
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 8:54:33 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Pandora radio is a streaming radio service only available in the U.S. The service checks I.P. address to see if you are in the U.S. There are services like VyprVPN that encrypt ones web traffic so it can't be read. A side benefit, is that the servers are located in the U.S. (as well as Asia and Europe) so that your originating I.P. can be configured to look like it is in the U.S.
Seems like lots of work to listen to Music from the 1940's, but to each his own.

Are IPs assigned in national blocks, or does Pandora maintain a DB, or what? If the former that's news to me. Once upon a time I studied databases some, but the networking guys were always in the corner sacrificing a goat, so I left them alone.

The Moose

Post #: 8
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 9:37:32 PM   
JohnDillworth

I don't know if they are assigned in blocks by country. I guess it is a quick 'whois" lookup, but I guess the DNS servers keep track of this stuff. I used to know, and care, alot more, but now I just accept the fact that it is JFM (Just F*^&ing Magic)

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 9:58:45 PM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Are IPs assigned in national blocks, or does Pandora maintain a DB, or what? If the former that's news to me. Once upon a time I studied databases some, but the networking guys were always in the corner sacrificing a goat, so I left them alone.

Its called geolocation and uses a number of databases and other sources, depending on the country. It has recently become fairly common, thanks to the introduction of web based tv. Because tv shows don't air on the same day in every country, video services on the web such as Hulu or the BBC, block people from outside the US or UK respectively, from viewing videos on their web sites, so that they can still sell the tv programs to the overseas channels; who then in turn probably offer their own web service, restricted to their own country.

It is also becoming very common with the rise of the smart phone, which often has a built in gps, so location based services can be added to existing social networks, web searches and other web services, as well as introduce location based advertising and applications.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 12/31/2010 9:59:59 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 10:33:54 PM   
jazman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Once again, I bow to the incredible amount of knowledge in a wide variety of fields displayed with regularity in the forums. (Oh, I know some of you guys are saying, "Huh? This stuff is no big deal!" But it's Greek to me).

Since you are not a paranoid guru online, "they" probably know more about you than you do.

< Message edited by jazman -- 12/31/2010 10:34:04 PM >

BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 12/31/2010 11:09:50 PM   
Mynok

Network addresses are assigned to service providers. They look up the service provider and see what country it serves.

Very simple.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 12
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 1/1/2011 12:01:27 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Network addresses are assigned to service providers. They look up the service provider and see what country it serves.

but there are services that will allow you to set up a VPN on a server that is further upstream than your service provider. There are a number of reasons one might want to do this such as privacy, access to streaming services that are blocked across countries or to discourage traffic analysis. Most of the services you pay for, however, there are a few open source alternatives such as TOR (The Onion Router)http://www.torproject.org/ I have few complaints about my ISP, and they don't seem to throttle or prioritize bandwidth, but that was not the case with my last ISP. Goodness, I have taken this tread in a bad direction. Back to the original topic. If you live in the U.S. and havn't tried Pandora or Last FM you should try them. Also, the Tokyo Rose link is pretty cool, particularly if you are now tired of Christmas Music.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 13
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 1/1/2011 12:05:44 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Its called geolocation and uses a number of databases and other sources, depending on the country. It has recently become fairly common, thanks to the introduction of web based tv. Because tv shows don't air on the same day in every country, video services on the web such as Hulu or the BBC, block people from outside the US or UK respectively, from viewing videos on their web sites, so that they can still sell the tv programs to the overseas channels; who then in turn probably offer their own web service, restricted to their own country.

It is also becoming very common with the rise of the smart phone, which often has a built in gps, so location based services can be added to existing social networks, web searches and other web services, as well as introduce location based advertising and applications.

That makes more sense.

I wasn't seeing how a VPN-like service would help or hurt geolocation. So far as I know, a VPN only uses the Internet to tunnel through with the packets encapsulated therein. What's recieved should have as much or as little geo-data as they had at the point they were put into the stream.

The Moose

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 14
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 1/1/2011 12:09:09 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Goodness, I have taken this tread in a bad direction. Back to the original topic. If you live in the U.S. and havn't tried Pandora or Last FM you should try them. Also, the Tokyo Rose link is pretty cool, particularly if you are now tired of Christmas Music.

GF's school district recently banned/blocked Pandora for all workstations, including teachers working after school. Too many were listenting to music while they crunched test grading and lesson planning and were tying up the district's bandwidth. It's a very good service if you like music by genre.

The Moose

Post #: 15
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 1/1/2011 12:28:47 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

GF's school district recently banned/blocked Pandora for all workstations, including teachers working after school. Too many were listenting to music while they crunched test grading and lesson planning and were tying up the district's bandwidth. It's a very good service if you like music by genre.

Don't know what everyone does for a living but I think I'm more productive at work with headphones in, listening to music. I certainly don't think it would hurt grading papers but if someone is paying me to do something I don't have a problem doing it by their rules. My kids have always done their schoolwork with headphones and they get good grades. Maybe it's a generational thing.

Post #: 16
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 1/1/2011 12:31:46 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Don't know what everyone does for a living but I think I'm more productive at work with headphones in, listening to music. I certainly don't think it would hurt grading papers but if someone is paying me to do something I don't have a problem doing it by their rules. My kids have always done their schoolwork with headphones and they get good grades. Maybe it's a generational thing.

It's not the music, it's the bandwidth. It was slowing down admin traffic a lot.

The Moose

Post #: 17
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 2/4/2011 2:58:24 AM   
Bald Michael

Thanks, AirGee, for Tokyo Rose Radio. My father was on the USS Tangier at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/1941. He served in the Pacific throughout WW II. I grew up listening to Big Band swing and hearing stories about the war years. Thanks again. For me they are inseparable.

Post #: 18
RE: Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) - 2/4/2011 3:13:20 AM   
crsutton

I got into Pandora last year and love it. I hardly touch my CD collection any more. God bless the internets.....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bald Michael)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tokyo Rose Radio (Pandora Station) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI