Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Surface Combat TF's hunting CV's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Surface Combat TF's hunting CV's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Surface Combat TF's hunting CV's - 9/11/2002 12:08:58 PM   
ganthony91

I have engaged and crippled several enemy CV's. I have a Surface Combat Task Force in the immediate vicinity I am racing over to try to locate, close with and destroy the mangled carriers before they limp into port. What is the best way to go about doing this? I have land based search aircraft that have no trouble locating the targets, not to mention organic spotter aircraft, but cant seem to get my surface groups to engage. It seems moving them into a projected transit hex is hit or miss if they will bump into a target in the open ocean. Seems like, with spotting reports from the air, they would have no trouble engaging a big burning target limping along at 3-4 kts. Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
- 9/11/2002 2:54:04 PM   
jive1

Unfortunatly it is hit ot miss - unless you correctly guess the hex they will end their move in you won't catch them. There is no
test to see if your paths cross during a move.
Something I hope will one day be changed.

So drink to the Black Cat PBY, damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft, Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

(in reply to ganthony91)
Post #: 2
- 9/11/2002 8:36:15 PM   
Beckles

It's tough to do it, but it can be done, an early post of mine:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20048

Of course, all three of the carriers may have eventually sunk anyway, but it was good knowing that they were for sure and not chancing it!

(in reply to ganthony91)
Post #: 3
Hunting CVs - 9/11/2002 11:37:44 PM   
NorthStar

I've never tried to hunt damaged CV's with Surface TFs, but I've had a lot of luck with Subs. You have to guess where the TF will be at the end of a turn to be sucessful, though. It's realatively easy if the enemy carrier is reduced to 1 or 2 hexes per turn and you have a few subs or TFs available to hunt. If the CV is still making 4 plus hexes, it can be nearly impossible.

(in reply to ganthony91)
Post #: 4
- 9/12/2002 2:43:01 AM   
pasternakski

Just a couple of questions by way of trying to be helpful...

Did you have your surface combat TF set to "react to enemy" and "patrol/do not retire?"

Did you have your TF float planes set to 100% naval search?

Did you set your TF destination to a hex you calculated to be pretty close to where the crippled ships would be?

I don't know. I have had some success in chasing down cripples, but often have seen them slip away. I would not recommend changing the way the game works now, however. Think of your surface TF commander, out there at dusk after a confusing day of air attacks, orders followed by countermanding orders, false (or true, or impossible to determine) reports of significant enemy surface forces in the area. He is getting limited, if any, information from land-based naval search. He likely does not know how well (or poorly) the air combat has gone, and may suspect that, come dawn, Vallie and Katie are going to come and spoil his breakfast.

I know that I am reading a lot into the UV game engine that isn't really there (yes, I have always had a penchant for seeing the Emperor's new clothes), but hesitance (not born of cowardice, I would say, but of reluctance to commit "the big mistake") on the part of subordinate commanders was a way of life in this WWII theater. How frequently have you hoped for your surface combat TF you always send along with your carrier groups to find and engage the enemy carriers and beat 'em up? It happens, but not very often, and frequently the surface TF gets the crap beat out of it by air attacks during the chase. This is the price of aggressiveness, in my estimation. You've got to calculate your risks in comparison to the benefit you hope to derive. Aggression or foolhardiness? History will judge you harshly if you fail (and so will the game).

I am content with UV's modeling of the vagaries of subordinate commanders' actions (and resultant successes and failures).

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to ganthony91)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Surface Combat TF's hunting CV's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI