Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 10:31:01 AM   
PMCN

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

See section 9.3.2 for air unit Guards effects.

AA units might have fired on units overflying the city and scored victories that way.

See section 7.4.1 for details on transferring AA to cities.  Soviets can also build AA in cities using admin points.

Guards units only get a morale boost which is small beer since any aircraft unit will increase to maximum morale automatically each turn so a 1 time +10 morale boost isn't such a big deal. Unless there is different effect for Guards air units then ground units? The rules actually say nothing about how Guards Air Rgt's are formed, and also nothing about the effect guards status has for them.

Ah...I missed the line that you have to have them in high command. I was trying to see how to tranfer from one city hex to another. Can't be done.

Thank you for the reply.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 1261
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 1:41:13 PM   
ColVons

I have played Gary Grigsby games in the past including War in Russia(1993) and World at War(2005), USAAF(1985) which was excellent, Kampfgruppe(1985), Second Front (1990), Western Front (1991)   My only question is why the price tag. 

I didn't say I wasn't buying the game, just wondering why the larger then usual price tag.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 1262
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 2:35:10 PM   
cookie monster

It's not a larger price tag than the recently released War in the Pacific Admirals Edition.

Because the market for highly detailed,intensive (grognard skill level) games is so small, compared to say World of Warcraft.

The price tag must be higher to get a return on investment from a smaller customer base.

Because you are thinking of buying the game here's something you should consider.

The boxed edition has a small manual only a small portion of the E manual.

I have never read the boxed manual as it's so small.

I just refer to the ebook which is open in another window as I play.

I wish I had never spent the extra money on the boxed edition.

< Message edited by cookie monster -- 2/6/2011 2:38:00 PM >

(in reply to ColVons)
Post #: 1263
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 5:02:13 PM   
madgamer2

I just refer to the ebook which is open in another window as I play.

I wish I had never spent the extra money on the boxed edition.

For me my experience is opposite of yours. The manual is small and worthless but its the disk version I want besides after what happened to me with Plimus (or however you spell it) may never allow me to get a download again. I bought the Boxed version and thought it was cool to have a free download for backup. It never happened I got blank conformation emails that did not look like the real ones and I also got a matching email the told me to go the store page and enter my order information which was a no go. Without going into details it was my own fault as i was not aware they had changed from DR. The help desk made a Herculean effort to discover why I got both blank conformation emails and written ones and why they all had different order numbers.
I went to Plimis's web page as the help desk recommended, looked up my information which there own form did not recognize.(no reply from them at all) I saw a copy of the invoice but nowhere to download the game from it. So for me the boxed version is currently only $10 bucks more which is security for me. There is nothing like having a CD or DVD disk. To each his own I guess, but for me I have no trust in them what soever. I will be ordering another game soon and we will see what happens with the next one.

Madgamer2

If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 1264
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/9/2011 9:28:38 PM   
Swenslim

Small request to developers - please  add in future patches date of withdrawal in unis menu. If this will be possible. 

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 1265
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/10/2011 1:25:24 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swenslim

Small request to developers - please  add in future patches date of withdrawal in unis menu. If this will be possible. 

You can hit "I" to see the entire reinforcement/withdrawal schedule for your side.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Swenslim)
Post #: 1266
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/28/2011 7:51:51 PM   
sIg3b

This game looks fascinating, though possibly 'too much of a good thing'.

Some questions:

1) Does Sov supply trace to E map edge only, or are cities like Moscow, Leningrad also supply sources, so they can hold out if isolated?

2) What are the penalties for being out of supply?

3) How is Blitzkrieg simulated? Panzers having 2 movement/combat phases? Overrun rule? Other?

4) Do units exert a zone of control into adjacent hexes?

5) Can units react (manually or automatically) to enemy maneuvers? Or is it strictly Igo/yugo?

Edit: Forgot this: 6) How many levels levels of difficulty? Which freebies does AI get?

< Message edited by Tesuji -- 4/28/2011 8:00:54 PM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 1267
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/28/2011 7:59:40 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tesuji

This game looks fascinating, though possibly 'too much of a good thing'.

Some questions:

1) Does Sov supply trace to E map edge only, or are cities like Moscow, Leningrad also supply sources, so they can hold out if isolated?

Supply is generated at on map factories at various locations and via off map locations. Isolated units suffer heavy penalties, if the were still in supply cos the city had a stockpile they may last longer than one turn/week.

2) What are the penalties for being out of supply?

Combat value is slashed, less movement points, higher fatigue.

3) How is Blitzkrieg simulated? Panzers having 2 movement/combat phases? Overrun rule? Other?

Panzers & Motorised can have max 50 movement points so they could cover 250 miles and isolate a large Soviet Army. Read the AAR's for blitzkrieg tactics in action.

Divisions do. Brigades don't.

5) Can units react (manually or automatically) to enemy maneuvers? Or is it strictly Igo/yugo?

Reserve mode is in the game. They react on offence & defence. So they might defend on your opponents turn when he's attacking.

Check out the AAR's and www.witewiki.com

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 1268
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/28/2011 8:10:09 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Supply is generated at on map factories at various locations and via off map locations. Isolated units suffer heavy penalties, if the were still in supply cos the city had a stockpile they may last longer than one turn/week.

So encircled units surrounding a supply factory are isolated, or not? Thanks.

Post #: 1269
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/28/2011 8:23:08 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

quote:

Divisions do. Brigades don't.

Not precisely. All non-depleted combat units exert a ZOC into adjacent hexes for the purpose of negating enemy conversion of friendly hexes during movement, as well as causing increased MP costs to leave. However, what cookie monster is referring to is the process of converting adjacent enemy hexes that are empty, and not in EZOC during movement. This can only be done with units of divisional size, or larger.

Post #: 1270
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/28/2011 8:59:44 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

All non-depleted combat units exert a ZOC into adjacent hexes for the purpose of negating enemy conversion of friendly hexes during movement, as well as causing increased MP costs to leave.

Yeah, that´s what I meant. So the ants are sticky, and can delay!?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 1271
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/28/2011 10:36:41 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

All non-depleted combat units exert a ZOC into adjacent hexes for the purpose of negating enemy conversion of friendly hexes during movement, as well as causing increased MP costs to leave.

Yeah, that´s what I meant. So the ants are sticky, and can delay!?

Yes...the ants are sticky.

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 1272
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/9/2011 7:26:57 PM   
sIg3b

Has anyone tried to break up most or all Soviet Infantry into regiments and create Infinite Regiment Slime to slow down Germance advance in 1941?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 1273
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/9/2011 7:58:06 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

Has anyone tried to break up most or all Soviet Infantry into regiments and create Infinite Regiment Slime to slow down Germance advance in 1941?

You can't break down Soviet divisions. At one time a couple years back we could break them down into 3 brigades. As a Soviet player you could mass so many of them things in 41 that a German player couldn't get anywhere so the decision was made not to allow Soviet divisional breakdowns.

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 1274
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/9/2011 8:18:04 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

You can't break down Soviet divisions.

Good decision.

quote:

At one time a couple years back we could break them down into 3 brigades. As a Soviet player you could mass so many of them things in 41 that a German player couldn't get anywhere...

No offense meant, but I always wonder why developers seem to have no imagination whatever as to gamey tactics...

I am still on the fence about buying WitE, but this was about the first thing crossing my mind... -didn´t need any gametesting to know that would probably work...

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 1275
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/9/2011 9:55:49 PM   
jaw

quote:

[No offense meant, but I always wonder why developers seem to have no imagination whatever as to gamey tactics...

It's a character flaw we have that causes us to think anyone who would invest the time and effort to play a game like WitE is more concerned about history than winning. Silly us.

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 1276
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/10/2011 3:44:45 AM   
PyleDriver

LMAO...Jim and Andy, A battle of whits. Hell I love the guys that complain and they never played it. Those two are really really smart. Wrong tree to bark up at...Still Lmao...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1277
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/10/2011 4:00:02 AM   
PyleDriver

One short post, this is a small group of people. Somehow God only knows, we brought a group togeather to make a great game, from around the world... If you post buy it, first buy it then we will listen, otherwise shut the hell up...BTW Joel loves me, I'm the sargent of arms. Sorry I didn't jump in sooner Joel I had a touch of burnout after 3 years....l

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1278
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/10/2011 3:56:22 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

If you post buy it, first buy it then we will listen, otherwise shut the hell up...

Well no, Q+A thread is for people making up their mind to buy or not, no?

Also, you obviously don´t notice I was in fact saying it´s a good decision to not let ppl break up Soviet divisions, so I was not critizising WitE.

If I was critizising anything, it´s a certain mentality I admit I find annoying in our society (not just gamemaking): Wasting time and effort on experiments one could know in advance can´t work. Like trying to invent the perpetuum mobile, even though it´s impossible, period.

Jaw: I understand your point, but you are wrong. Balance and historicity are ultimately the same: If design doesn´t eliminate gamey tactics, they will be used. If gamey tactics are used, outcomes won´t be historical. See what I mean? That´s why about the first thoughts in development should adress at least the well-known and obvious tricks any experienced gamer will use.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1279
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/10/2011 4:00:06 PM   
Mynok

Good games don't represent history but rather historical conditions--conditions that could have resulted in numerous outcomes.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 1280
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/10/2011 4:55:55 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Good games don't represent history but rather historical conditions--conditions that could have resulted in numerous outcomes.

I agree. However, I would want the mean outcome to be considered a Draw. And the historical outcome the mean outcome.

WitE: In the average game, Berlin should fall sometime early 1945. Clearly, very much variation should be possible -from SU dying in 1942 to G dying in 1943.

But IF Berlin falls early 45, this should be a Draw, gameplay-wise. Perfect balance, imo, is at least 1/3 of all games ending drawn. (and the others 50/50 for either side.)

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1281
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/10/2011 5:21:09 PM   
PyleDriver

Tesuji I should clear up my statement, If its a Q then thats cool, but some are trying to tell us how the game should be different and they don't have it...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 1282
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/14/2011 7:50:30 PM   
Slarty

Question about Finnish rail.

Would I be right to say that the Finns use broad gauge rail same as the Russians? If so why do the rail lines need to be converted when captured by Finnish units in the far north?  I could understand if they were occupied by Russian units and were destroyed but if long stretches of line are just abandon then shouldn't the Finns be able to use them without conversion?

On the topic of Finnish rail, I read somewhere that the Finns do have some limited rail conversion capability. If so where is it based?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1283
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/15/2011 2:21:40 AM   
PyleDriver

The Finns have some construction battalions and they are controlled by the AI. And yes they tend to move very slow at repairing rail lines...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Slarty)
Post #: 1284
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/15/2011 11:14:00 AM   
Taipan61

quote:

ORIGINAL: krooh

I didn't say I wasn't buying the game, just wondering why the larger then usual price tag.

I guess that is currently my stumbling block as well. Currently I feel that same about this game. Looks great, the depth is incredible, but will I in the end be overwhelmed by the depth and not play, or will I embrace the depth and enjoy the game? I don't mind outlaying the money if I feel I will get a good return on it. I looked at War in the Pacific for a few months before deciding not to outlay the money. Not because I didn't like the look of the game, but because in the end I didn't know if I would enjoy the game, considering the complex nature of it. A quick demo would of made my mind up one way or another, and in the end the producer has lost any chance of getting my money now that my mind is made up.

Here I sit at the same cross roads. Is there any thoughts of releasing a demo of WitE? I believe the release of maybe the 10 turn small scenario as a demo would only increase sales, so a broader cross section of people would be exposed to the game and be willing to outlay the higher than normal price.

< Message edited by Taipan -- 5/15/2011 11:15:31 AM >

(in reply to ColVons)
Post #: 1285
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/16/2011 11:25:22 AM   
morvael

I'm at 287 VP as the Axis. I would like to trample Soviets for a little bit longer, can I change the 290 VP instant victory condition for my savegame (and how, if yes)?

(in reply to Taipan61)
Post #: 1286
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/16/2011 5:38:30 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

I'm at 287 VP as the Axis. I would like to trample Soviets for a little bit longer, can I change the 290 VP instant victory condition for my savegame (and how, if yes)?

No, there isn't. We originally wanted to allow the game to continue, but had too many technical issues and had to give up on that design goal. You'll have to start another game to keep beating up on them.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 1287
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/16/2011 9:05:09 PM   
M60A3TTS

I've seen some AAR screenshots of the entire length of the front that appears more close up than a normal sceenshot would allow. How is that done?

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 1288
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/17/2011 2:22:02 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taipan

quote:

ORIGINAL: krooh

I guess that is currently my stumbling block as well. Currently I feel that same about this game. Looks great, the depth is incredible, but will I in the end be overwhelmed by the depth and not play, or will I embrace the depth and enjoy the game? I don't mind outlaying the money if I feel I will get a good return on it. I looked at War in the Pacific for a few months before deciding not to outlay the money. Not because I didn't like the look of the game, but because in the end I didn't know if I would enjoy the game, considering the complex nature of it. A quick demo would of made my mind up one way or another, and in the end the producer has lost any chance of getting my money now that my mind is made up.

Here I sit at the same cross roads. Is there any thoughts of releasing a demo of WitE? I believe the release of maybe the 10 turn small scenario as a demo would only increase sales, so a broader cross section of people would be exposed to the game and be willing to outlay the higher than normal price.

No demo planned, but there are some videos of it on youtube that I've seen others post the links for. If you check out some of the reviews online that are listed here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2676008 you'd get a decent idea of the game. This game is detailed like WitP, but if you start with small scenarios you can jump in and start playing fairly quickly moving units around, attacking the enemy, etc. There's lot of things you can do once you decide you want to find out about those things, but very few things that you have to do. Do you like IGOUGO games? That's the question I'd ask first. The game costs a lot because as stated, it's targeted at a niche market and for that market it will provide hundreds/thousands of enjoyable gameplay hours.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Taipan61)
Post #: 1289
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/17/2011 7:42:25 PM   
sIg3b

Important (imo) question: Are the Campaign Victory Conditions different for different starting dates?

Because the reasoning seems to be in the GC that Germans should survive longer to get a Draw, because Stalingrad need not happen. But in the 43/44 Campaigns, Stalingrad HAS already happened, so Germans should not need survive to Autumn 45 to get a Draw etc.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI