Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A Massive Landmark Update!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A Massive Landmark Update! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A Mass... - 2/11/2011 4:52:49 AM   
SeanD

New rules, improved graphics, sharper AI and plenty more coming in this massive update

Matrix Games and the TOAD Team are thrilled to announce that a new mega-update for The Operational Art of War III is now available. The comprehensive 3.4.0.202 update comes with pages upon pages of improvements, new features, and fixes. Here is just a small overview of the many improvements found in the update:
  • New turn order rules to equalize the sequence of events and phases for both players. The original turn structure is still available as well.
  • A brand new and improved supply system that is much more detailed and realistic than the old system. The original supply system is still available as well.
  • New rules to address gamey “ant unit” tactics such as a new system called the Assault Ratio which makes the Attacker Assault Strength value much more realistic.
  • Over 50 new community-created scenarios.
  • Almost a dozen significant changes to the combat model.
  • 40 user interface improvements and optimizations.
  • Several graphical enhancements including alternate place name fonts and bitmaps that will scale with zoom level.
  • Improved customization and editor functionality – now XML files can be used wherever DLL files are used and more graphical mods are now supported.
  • Improved AI.
  • More and improved language support.
  • Better cheat prevention.
  • Many bug fixes.
  • Plenty more!
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “This update includes so many significant and exciting improvements to The Operational Art of War III, it’s practically a new release! The TOAD team has put so much extra detail and shine into this classic wargame with this update that there’s never been a better time to jump on board and try your hand at the premiere simulation of operational warfare! ”

Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War is a legendary title among wargamers. A masterpiece of flexible design, it allows you to play and create any battle from the entire 20th Century of warfare and up to the modern day. Now, Matrix Games together with Norm Koger and a new design team bring you the definitive release of this unsurpassed operational wargame – The Operational Art of War III.

The Operational Art of War III sets a new benchmark in operational wargaming. Step up to the challenge - Master the Art of War!

Get the update here. The update is comprehensive and will bring all previous versions of Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III to version 3.4.0.202. Get more information on Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III from its official product page.

Also be sure to check out the fresh batch of screenshots now up on the product page to show off the new graphical and interface enhancements!

< Message edited by SeanD -- 2/13/2011 7:04:58 PM >

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Post #: 1
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 5:51:08 AM   
Silvanski

Baghdad Bob says...

Attachment (1)

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 2
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 7:37:40 AM   
BigDuke66

Thanks, but what blind nut thinks its 33mb big?

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 3
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 7:58:14 AM   
Lipa

Thanks TOAD & Matrix!!

One silly question... being a comprehensive update, this means that it can be applied to a fresh install, without any previous patches, right?

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 4
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 8:32:34 AM   
Boonierat

It does Lipa.

(in reply to Lipa)
Post #: 5
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 8:59:37 AM   
BigDuke66

And also over the 201 Beta Patch?

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 6
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 10:38:07 AM   
berto

Whoa, that settles it. No WITP:AE for me this weekend. It's back to the TOAW trenches I go.

Thanks for finally releasing the official patch!

woot!!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 7
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 2:01:17 PM   
Olorin

This is a great day! Thanks to all parties involved.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 8
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 3:22:46 PM   
blackknight1916

I really don't like the new graphics, tooltips, etc. I'm sure I'm very happy with new scenarios and under the hood changes, but is there some way I can get this to look and interface the way TOAW did before? I don't even know how to launch an attack now. I can't just right click and drop down to "all units attack" etc. Very jarring experience.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 9
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 3:28:48 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackknight

I really don't like the new graphics, tooltips, etc. I'm sure I'm very happy with new scenarios and under the hood changes, but is there some way I can get this to look and interface the way TOAW did before? I don't even know how to launch an attack now. I can't just right click and drop down to "all units attack" etc. Very jarring experience.

In the start screen: Options -> Default Options or in game: Play -> Default Options. This will reverse TOAW to the old behaviour.

(in reply to blackknight1916)
Post #: 10
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 5:21:50 PM   
blackknight1916

Thanks...any way to get the old "3d counter" look back, short of a re-install and not patching to this version?

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 11
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 6:22:33 PM   
Rik81

I've not played this game much, though I've had it forever. Just wanted to thank those who have spent so much time and effort into the update!

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 12
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 7:10:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Thanks...any way to get the old "3d counter" look back, short of a re-install and not patching to this version?

Turn off PNG graphics in the Advanced Rules Dialog.

Note that reading the "What's New" in the main folder may answer a lot of questions before hand.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 2/11/2011 7:15:56 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 7:32:14 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

And also over the 201 Beta Patch?

Short answer is yes.

But there will be a slight issue: The Win98 and Slow (Avalon) versions from 201 will remain. Their names were changed in 202. So delete those old versions if you were using them - and make new shortcuts to the new versions.

Note that the main (Opart 3.exe) version has no such issue. Its name is the same, so the old version will be overwritten by the new one.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 14
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 9:35:30 PM   
berto

quote:

I have taken the precaution to retain a special, older, TOAW III 3.2 installation. Especially for older scenarios that never get updated and/or won't work well with the newer version, I anticipate always keeping that pre-3.4 version.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 15
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/11/2011 11:56:24 PM   
rich12545

This is great.....it's been what?  Three years?  Thanks for all the hard work.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 16
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/12/2011 12:45:54 PM   
el cid

great news. Thanks for all the work.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 17
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/12/2011 1:23:55 PM   
sprior

Now I'm going to have to find the install set and play it again.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 18
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/12/2011 2:50:12 PM   
dorjun driver

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

Whoa, that settles it. No WITP:AE for me this weekend. It's back to the TOAW trenches I go.

Thanks for finally releasing the official patch!

woot!!

Blasphemy!

< Message edited by dorjun driver -- 2/12/2011 2:54:02 PM >

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 19
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/13/2011 2:19:26 AM   
sPzAbt653

Very nice !! Up and running on both the XP and '98 machines took just a couple of minutes. Thanks very much ... ain't the beer cold !!

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 20
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/13/2011 2:48:39 AM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

THANK GUYS.......IT WAS WELL WORTH THE WAIT......I PROBABLY WON'T SEE MY FAMILY OR GO TO WORK FOR A MONTH!!!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 21
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/13/2011 8:31:18 PM   
leridano

Thanks for this great update!

(in reply to PRUSSIAN TOM)
Post #: 22
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/13/2011 9:36:44 PM   
EisenHammer

Nice...

(in reply to leridano)
Post #: 23
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/13/2011 10:09:09 PM   
dudalb_slith

Downloading now.
I play an awful lot of older scenrios, so I made a backup of the entire game just in case there are issues.
You can have two copies of TOAW III on the same computer;just be sure you have different shortcuts.

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 24
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/13/2011 11:50:45 PM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: dudalb
You can have two copies of TOAW III on the same computer;just be sure you have different shortcuts.

Oh absolutely

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to dudalb_slith)
Post #: 25
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/14/2011 4:43:37 PM   
darthsmaul

Hey, big Matrix fan, own a number of games, thanks for the mega update for free!! 

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 26
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/15/2011 12:46:05 AM   
rjcme

Does this update allows simultaneous turns?

(in reply to darthsmaul)
Post #: 27
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/15/2011 3:37:05 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjcme

Does this update allows simultaneous turns?

TOAW was and still is IGOUGO

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to rjcme)
Post #: 28
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/15/2011 5:41:21 PM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: smaul1

Hey, big Matrix fan, own a number of games, thanks for the mega update for free!! 

Absolutely. And thanks for not charging us $35 for future updates like you did with Harpoon.

(in reply to darthsmaul)
Post #: 29
RE: Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A ... - 2/16/2011 3:16:41 PM   
Graymane

Great news! Been playing the beta for awhile now.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Norm Koger’s The Operational Art of War III Gets A Massive Landmark Update! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI