Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Tiger Tank Action?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> First Tiger Tank Action? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Tiger Tank Action? - 8/9/2002 12:37:29 PM   
Redleg

The earliest reference to a Tiger battle I can find was in Don River Valley on January 7, 1943. According to Glantz, this was a "half-trained" battalion of Tigers. Result: 17 T34s and 20 Tigers out of action. Apparently a pre-mature use of a "super weapon".

Can anyone verify or add to this?
Post #: 1
- 8/9/2002 2:33:38 PM   
Resisti

John:

29 August 1942, it seems.

I remembered having read recently on Paul Carrel's "Scorched earth" that Tigers from sPzAbt 502 saw action in 1942 around Leningrad.
So, I've searched on Fabio Prado's site, and this is what I found:

"On 23 July 1942, Hitler had ordered the first company of Tigers to be formed quickly and sent to the front at Leningrad. The first unit to receive Henschel-Tigers was the 1. Kompanie of schwere Panzer Abteilung 502, four arriving on August 19 and 20. These Tigers, accompanied by four PzKpfw III Ausf N, arrived at the front and went into combat on 29 August 1942. Two of the four Tigers were still operational at the end of the day and the other two were recovered and repaired."

Hope Fabio wont ask me for royalties :D

I also remember there was a report of those first battles made by a Tigers Commander, on Fabio's site, but i don't find it anymore.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 2
- 8/9/2002 3:53:21 PM   
OKW-73

depends what you mean "Tiger battle", but regarding my sources there was at least 40 Tigers involved in battle of Kursk

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 3
I have the same information as Resisti.. - 8/9/2002 8:05:15 PM   
Orzel Bialy

and Fabio...that a pre-mature action around Leningrad...in poor terrain for such vehicles...was the first time Tigers were thrown into combat due to Hitler's insistance to see how they performed.

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 4
- 8/9/2002 8:56:21 PM   
Wild Bill

Leningrad area was the starting point, but the Tigers did poorly. Most of them either bogged down or broke down. It was not an impressive beginning.

That would change. I'm remembering in my research of a battle, I believe in the Kharkov area in early 43 where Tigers surprised a flock of T-34s using their superior range and firepower to decimate a very shocked enemy.

It was in that battle that the phrase was adopted by German infantry, "Every time a T-34 sees a Tiger, it tips its hat" referrring to the turret of the Soviet tank being hurled into the air from a deadly 88mm round destroying it.

I'll have to do a little re-research to find that info, location and date of the battle.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 5
- 8/10/2002 1:11:24 AM   
Grenadier

It was near the town of Bogodukhov, NW of Kharkov, in the beginning of March, 1943. The 13 company of the Grossdeutschland Panzer Rgt attacked a group of T-34's of 3 Tank Army. The detail;s are in the "History of the GD, vol 2" , "Panzertruppen 2", and I believe "Scorched earth" but thi is only from memory so I may be off on the sources, but not the facts:D

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 6
- 8/10/2002 1:52:15 AM   
Redleg

Interesting stuff. The Tiger fight Glantz describes (too briefly) involved -15 degree weather and sheets of ice. Perhaps that is why on 7 January 43, things did not go very well for the Tigers. The T34s were better suited for that type of weather/terrain.

Thanks for the inputs. I have it in my mind to create a scenario or two featuring early Tiger battles... information is relatively sparse in my small library.

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 7
Ok, here we go... - 8/10/2002 11:38:28 AM   
Fabio Prado

The first Tiger tanks were sent to Heeres-Gruppe Nord in August 1942 to support the attempts to take Leningrad. Only a single platoon of four Tigers from the 1. Kompanie/schwere Panzer-Abeilung 502 arrived on 29 August 1942. They weren't sent to action immediately as two of them had simply broken down mechanically. Another platoon of the 1.Kompanie with four PzKpfw III Ausf N with 7.5 cm KwK L/24 guns arrived at the front by 8 September.The Tiger's first actual engagement in combat ocurred in 7 October 1942, and took place south of Lake Ladoga, and the Tigers were impeded to advance by the swamps and other bad terrain.

The first attack was on 16 September (my birthday!) :) 1942, at the same region (south of Lake Ladoga), and the crews were impressed and enthusiastic with the performance of the 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56 gun, and that no shot penetrated the armor, although all Tigers were damaged to some extent.

This is an excerpt of "Germany's Tiger Tanks - Tiger I & II: Combat Tactics" by Thomas L. Jentz, pp. 38 and 39.

About Kursk, from the same source: There were a total of 133 Tigers available at the start of the offensive - 45 serving with sPzAbt.503, 13 with 13 Kp.SSPzRgt1 (LSSAH), 14 with 8.Kp.SSPzRgt2 (Das Reich), 15 with s.Kp.SSPzRgt3 (Totenkopf), 15 with 13.Kp.PzRgtGD (Großdeutschland), and finally 31 with sPzAbt.505. A total of 19 Tigers arrived as replacements during Operation Zitadelle: 5 for 13.Kp.SSPzRgt1 (LSSAH), and 14 for sPzAbt. 505. From 5 July to 20 July 1943, 13 Tigers were lost (total writeoffs):
4 by sPzAbt.503, 1 by 13.Kp.SSPzRgt1 (LSSAH), 1 by 8.Kp.SSPzRgt2 (Das Reich), 1 by s.Kp.SSPzRgt3 (Totenkopf), and 6 by sPzAbt.505.

I guess this covers most doubts...

Fab knows his business...;)

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 8
Yessss! - 8/10/2002 11:58:38 AM   
Fabio Prado

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill
[B] I'm remembering in my research of a battle, I believe in the Kharkov area in early 43 where Tigers surprised a flock of T-34s using their superior range and firepower to decimate a very shocked enemy.

It was in that battle that the phrase was adopted by German infantry, "Every time a T-34 sees a Tiger, it tips its hat" referrring to the turret of the Soviet tank being hurled into the air from a deadly 88mm round destroying it.

Wild Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

Now that was FUN! Tiger-fun, that is...;)
Goblin - Any comments?!?:D

Fab

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 9
- 8/10/2002 1:22:42 PM   
Redleg

Well, I have plenty of clues and facts to work from.

Enough that I will endeavor to do more research and design a battle around one or more of these.

Any specifics that are known about any and all of these actions will be greatly appreciated. Things like, exact places, descriptions of terrain, types of Soviet armor encountered, units, etc. Also, references. Our library here is really quite pathetic (not cheap to run, though) so but I will try to find out as much as possible.

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 10
- 8/11/2002 8:28:21 AM   
CCB

I thought I had read somewhere that of the early Tigers used at Leningrad in 1942, one had become bogged down in swampy terrain. During a local Russian counterattack, the crew abandoned it and it was subsequently captured by the Russians. Supposedly this tank is on display at a military museum in St. Petersburg.

Any truth to any of this?

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 11
- 8/11/2002 12:04:36 PM   
chief

CCB I was looking for Tiger answers today and I did a search o "Tiger Tanks" and I came up with a few good sites and one of those (and I can't tell you which) had the same tank your talking about in Gorky Park with commisars looking it over. Wish I could be more precise but.....:) :o :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 12
Tigers and other beasts - 9/4/2002 7:10:26 PM   
MARKUSS

A query for all you techno-people who reprogramme Steel Panthers every so often.

Can anything be done to represent the different turret traverse rates of the tanks in the simulation, to better represent their real-life capabilities? Data can be supplied for this if you need it.

For example, the British and US tanks had the best traverse systems giving for the most part rapid traverse and the ability to fine-lay the gun under power. This was because British mechanisms from RAF bombers' power turrets were used to develop high-performance gear for tanks.

The Germans and Soviets had pretty bad sytems that could only point the gun in the general direction of the target under power and then needed fine adjustments by hand (in the case of PzKfw III - all by hand = no power). A Tiger I using fastest traverse took 60 minutes to get the turret through 360 degrees, compared to 15 seconds in the Sherman, M26 and M36, 10 in the Crusader, 12 in the Challenger, about 14 in the Cromwell, 20 in the Grant. Panthers and Tiger IIs (around 17-18 seconds) did better than Tiger I, but still without fine control. Ditto PzKfw IV (about 24 seconds).

In the game Tiger Is get away with an awful lot in this regard - shooting off in all directions at great speed.

Can this be rectified?

Regards

Charles

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 13
Re: Tigers and other beasts - 9/4/2002 8:31:06 PM   
wulfir

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARKUSS
[B]A Tiger I using fastest traverse took 60 minutes to get the turret through 360 degrees...[/B][/QUOTE]

One hour!? Talk about slow going! :eek:

Semper in Primis

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 14
Re: Re: Tigers and other beasts - 9/12/2002 2:40:58 AM   
Fabio Prado

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wulfir
[B]

One hour!? Talk about slow going! :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

No, no, no! "To quickly traverse onto a target, the Tiger I was outfitted with a hidraulic motor for the turret drive. The hydraulic drive traversed the turret at a maximum rate of 360 degrees in 60 SECONDS, dependent on the engine speed. An improved hydraulic traverse was introduced with the Tiger II in which the speed at which the turret was traversed under power was dependent on the engine speed and selection of low or high range by the gunner. In high range, the Tiger II turret could be traversed through 360 degrees in 19 seconds with an engine speed of 2000 rpm, 25 seconds at 1500 rpm, and 36 seconds at 1000 rpm..." Source: Germany's Tiger Tanks - Tiger I & Tiger II: Combat Tactics, by Thomas L. Jentz.

That was how slow the Tigers really were...;)

Fab

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 15
- 9/12/2002 8:16:03 AM   
Wild Bill

Listen to the man. No one knows the Tiger better than the "Tiger" ;)

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 16
Tiger - 9/12/2002 7:09:01 PM   
MARKUSS

Sorry chaps!

For my "60 minutes [sic]" read "60 seconds". More haste, less speed methinks...

Charles

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 17
Tiger traverse - 9/12/2002 7:15:18 PM   
MARKUSS

Fab

You're missing the point, German traverse gear was jerky and slower than British and US gear, for a Tiger I to fire on different flanks meant turning the whole vehicle, which ruined accuracy.
I am aware of how German systems worked, depending on engine speed (as did some Allied systems - notably Challenger), but the point is that they shot slower because aiming adjustments had to be made by hand-cranking, and this applies for Panthers, Tiger II and PzKfw IV. In Steel Panthers the Tiger I turret turns as if Superman is powering it - not realistic.

Regards

Charles

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 18
Re: Tiger traverse - 9/14/2002 1:01:18 PM   
Fabio Prado

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARKUSS
[B]Fab

You're missing the point, German traverse gear was jerky and slower than British and US gear, for a Tiger I to fire on different flanks meant turning the whole vehicle, which ruined accuracy.
I am aware of how German systems worked, depending on engine speed (as did some Allied systems - notably Challenger), but the point is that they shot slower because aiming adjustments had to be made by hand-cranking, and this applies for Panthers, Tiger II and PzKfw IV. In Steel Panthers the Tiger I turret turns as if Superman is powering it - not realistic.

Regards

Charles [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep. Tigers were slower to traverse than British and American tanks and I don't disagree with you at all. I just noted that typo and couldn't help myself from making some "roar"...It was more for the fun of saying "No, no, no! My kittens doesn't traverse in 60 minutes - they traverse in 60 seconds!" But of course everybody knows a Sherman can do a full traverse much faster...Remember "Kelly's Heroes"? :D

Anyway, if Tigers were used right, that is, firing from long range, I don't believe this didn't make any difference...But in Steel Panthers, Tigers are, in fact, always at a disadvantage, because the combat is always too close for the Tigers to be used to full advantage. What I know is that Tiger gunners ,being elite, generally could achieve greater killing hits than the average allied tank crews. Even if they had to do minor adjustments by hand.

Fab

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 19
Tiger, Tiger, burning bright! - 9/17/2002 7:02:40 PM   
MARKUSS

Agreed about the game ranges - just pisses me off when they quickly start shooting in all directions like a warship....

Thanks for the discussion

Regards

Charles

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> First Tiger Tank Action? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI