Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Art Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ship Art Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Art Thread - 1/24/2011 1:26:03 AM   
Big B

Hi all, long time no post.
I was talking to TOMLABEL and we are about ready to post this (days away), so here is a preview of selected USN ships (RN will be posted too).
Big B

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/19/2011 9:34:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/24/2011 1:32:17 AM   
SoliInvictus202

looks great

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 2
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/24/2011 2:09:12 AM   
Big B

And here are selected Royal Navy ships:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SoliInvictus202)
Post #: 3
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/24/2011 2:27:42 AM   
SuluSea

The detail looks friggin amazing, I've been anticipating these since you all announced these some time ago. Many thanks for the efforts guys.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 4
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/24/2011 2:40:26 AM   
oldman45

That is some fine work!

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 5
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/24/2011 2:51:23 AM   
Big B

Thank you all, TOMLABEL (Kelley) and I tried our best to make them authentic, with proper color, detail, and camo.
It will be out real soon - the combat screen art is the stickler (it has to show up on combat screens), so please be patient...and thanks again. (a lot of cabernet sauvignon and Big Band music goes into this stuff )

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 1/24/2011 2:57:21 AM >

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 6
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/24/2011 6:00:13 PM   
Pascal_slith

Real nice stuff. Congratulations on a job well done!

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 7
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/24/2011 8:14:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

And here are selected Royal Navy ships:

Warspite1
Just.........wow

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 8
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/25/2011 12:55:00 PM   
Lesbaker

Excellant just can't wait

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/25/2011 6:24:32 PM   
Akos Gergely

God I've been waiting for this for sooo long, poor TOMLABEL must have had enough of my continous chases on this topic :D....I'm glad you guys finally realease this!

Is this going to replace the official art in the next patch?

Thanks

(in reply to Lesbaker)
Post #: 10
RE: Re: New Ship Art - 1/26/2011 9:46:09 PM   
mikkey

excellent work!

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 11
More new ships - 1/28/2011 3:22:04 AM   
Big B

While we wait for details to be sorted out, here is an example of "Optional" ships. or, "Ships That Never Were" to now be available...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 1/28/2011 3:29:06 AM >

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 12
RE: More new ships - 1/28/2011 5:01:52 PM   
John 3rd

Nice to see you Posting Sir!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 13
RE: More new ships - 1/29/2011 12:17:29 PM   
zzodr

I am liking this art. 

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 14
RE: More new ships - 1/29/2011 7:45:48 PM   
Akos Gergely

I can'T bear the waiting anymoreeee  

(in reply to zzodr)
Post #: 15
RE: More new ships - 1/29/2011 10:05:27 PM   
VSWG

When will this masterpiece be available? 

Post #: 16
RE: More new ships - 1/29/2011 10:38:33 PM   
Big B

Well here's the deal - it will be soon.
One hold up at the moment is getting a few more sides done for AP's and AK's ...not too bad there -

But the big thing right now is how to present it, name it, and get it into the game, ...because there is significantly more artwork than conventional upgrade slots to allow us to just slip it in.
Honestly, Kelley and I haven't got that figured out yet, or come to a firm understanding of how we could best implement it all.

One way being considered is using Reg's rotating art tool (not sure how that's going to work yet); another is to only release one for one sides that mach game slots (a little crude because it isn't all that hand-in-glove neat) and release the unissued art 'in-block' (as a page) for players to cut'n'paste as desired;...a third way is to (yuck) make a mod of the stock game but to alter the ship-class file to fit everything in (maybe that's the best way - but it will be time consuming to do).

So that is what we are up against at the moment - the final bottleneck you might say.
We'll get it squared away somehow, rest assured, but I would also consider suggestions out there too...

B
quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

When will this masterpiece be available? 

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 17
RE: More new ships - 1/29/2011 11:05:35 PM   
Reg

I think you will probably end up using a creative combination of classes and rotating art. I wouldn't be keen on yet another mod just for updated art.

After been involved with rotating aircraft art (and still not finished) I can feel your pain.......

The index to the Aircraft Rotating Art is is here.... (Shameless plug since it is deeply buried in the Mod folder......)

< Message edited by Reg -- 1/29/2011 11:10:14 PM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 18
RE: More new ships - 1/29/2011 11:24:36 PM   
Big B

Thanks Reg, and I appreciate your sympathy for our conundrum.
I really don't know what would be best at the moment. As some on this forum may remember - I did a mod series for WitP, it was well received, but a lot of work and not what I want to duplicate today for a number of reasons - not the least of which you already pointed out: "who wants to deal with another mod?"
That is one reason why the idea of doing a mod of stock with only the ship art entries being changed might be possible - so that only the ship class file would be altered...and I assume could easily be plugged into other mods or stock game.
I don't know... I don't think Matrix or Henderson Field Design Team would be interested in adopting it as a patch.

We'll just have to see what works out best.

B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

I think you will probably end up using a creative combination of classes and rotating art. I wouldn't be keen on yet another mod just for updated art.

After been involved with rotating aircraft art (and still not finished) I can feel your pain.......

The index to the Aircraft Rotating Art is is here.... (Shameless plug since it is deeply buried in the Mod folder......)

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 19
RE: More new ships - 1/29/2011 11:46:16 PM   
stuman

quote:

Thanks Reg, and I appreciate your sympathy for our conundrum.
I really don't know what would be best at the moment. As some on this forum may remember - I did a mod series for WitP, it was well received, but a lot of work and not what I want to duplicate today for a number of reasons - not the least of which you already pointed out: "who wants to deal with another mod?"
That is one reason why the idea of doing a mod of stock with only the ship art entries being changed might be possible - so that only the ship class file would be altered...and I assume could easily be plugged into other mods or stock game.
I don't know... I don't think Matrix or Henderson Field Design Team would be interested in adopting it as a patch.

We'll just have to see what works out best.

B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

The hard work you guys keep putting into the game is very much appreciated.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 20
RE: More new ships - 1/30/2011 1:52:49 AM   
Cathartes

Simply Outstanding! Well Done, Bravo, Standing Ovation!

(The Dark Side is stronger than before... NO, must resist!... but the ship art is going to be more beautiful than ever, you must return!... NO!!! Stop! Help! look how beautiful she is, the Essex Class 1944, give in!)

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 21
RE: More new ships - 1/31/2011 2:23:57 PM   
obvert

As an art teacher, traditional and digital, and a newish player, I am really impressed. That's a lot of detail but I will truly appreciate it. Part of what I've grown to love in this game and in the forum is the amount of attention everyone gives to the visuals.

One thing I wonder when I hear you say rotating artwork - Is there a way to rotate the art of some of the info screens, putting up various pics of the actual ships in action, similar to the ones there now, but changing?

Also, for the bombing screens in the animations, would there be a way to see the actual port or kind of land being bombed? Probably way too much work, and not that critical, but in the era of Google Earth, it makes me wonder.

Thanks for all of the hard work.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 22
RE: More new ships - 2/1/2011 1:00:26 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
Is there a way to rotate the art of some of the info screens, putting up various pics of the actual ships in action, similar to the ones there now, but changing?

Yes, please see the ART MOD thread in the "Senario and Design Modding" section of the main forum.
quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Also, for the bombing screens in the animations, would there be a way to see the actual port or kind of land being bombed? Probably way too much work, and not that critical, but in the era of Google Earth, it makes me wonder.

Specific Base

You can build a Base bombing screen to be displayed for a specific base, and if wanted, for a specific time period.

A base specific screen will have a file name of Air9999Bombardment_512.bmp, where 9999 is the base number from the Editor.
For example, you wanted a bombing screen for Sydney (Australia), the image would be stored in the file Air0955Bombardment_512.bmp.

However, you can go further by actually creating images for specific months and/or years for the base.
To further define Sydney, you may want to use a specific image during 1941, but change it a different one in 1943 to represent a higher built up port.
To do this, you would use a file for Dec 1941 (Air0955Bombardment_512_4112.bmp) and a similar one for 1942 (Air0955Bombardment_512_42.bmp).
And for the rest of the time, you want to use the default base file (Air0955Bombardment_512.bmp)

From this you may infer that there is an order to how the game decides which image to use. And you are correct.
The image files are attempted to be loaded in the following order:
(a) File exists for the current game month and year, or
(b) File exists for the current game year, or
(c) File exists just for the base (default).

(c) Special case for Pearl Harbor
Pearl Harbor is handled specially for the opening stages of December 1941 to show the damage of the initial attacks.
For December 1941, there are 3 possible screens that could be drawn.
Date File
7 December, 1941 Air0584Bombardment_512_1.bmp
8 -12 December, 1941 Air0584Bombardment_512_2.bmp
13 - 31 December, 1941 Air0584Bombardment_512_3.bmp

These images highlight the Battleship row around Ford Is and the various stages of damage and repairs done by end of December, 1941.

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 2/1/2011 1:02:06 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 23
RE: More new ships - 2/1/2011 1:09:15 AM   
bbbf

I'm going to have to go back and run an AI game just to bomb Pearl Harbor on different days now!

Robert Lee

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 24
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 9:10:59 PM   
Big B

Hi All,
Ok, here's the haps'...before ship-art can be released - it seriously needs a new surface combat screen. The original does not work at all to ship art advantage (which is why there are all those irritable light shadows on the edges, oddly enogh - it's not so visible on the air-sea screen).
So we are working feverishly on a new surface combat screen that will show ALL ship art to better advantage in-game.
There are two examples with the new screen - the first is the main phase of Savo Island, the second is the main phase of the Battle off Samar (both with liberties) on the new screen.

ALL comments - positive and HARSH are welcome...and needed to get this guy going.
Thank you,
B

Below Savo Island;

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/13/2011 9:20:45 PM >

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 25
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 9:11:35 PM   
Big B

And Battle Off Samar;

Any comments or opinions are sought after -- need to know what you all think..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/13/2011 10:15:34 PM >

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 26
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 10:42:35 PM   
Big B

quote:

And Battle Off Samar;

Any comments or opinions are sought after -- need to know what you all think..
Any feedback?

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 27
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 10:47:06 PM   
Akos Gergely

I'd say what we see here is pretty much the top of the line of Witp-AE graphics, the definiteve word. To add some constructive criticsm I'd prefer a bit more contrast on the background, but probably it's just the jpg-s quality reduction that makes it look this way.

I hope we can have in game separae art for ships in the same class, and also the boring US white star replaced with the USN badge.

This camo art really makes for a completely new feel of the game!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 28
New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 11:21:20 PM   
Big B

Now this is what I have been looking for, thanks csatahajos.

To address your concerns let me explain from an artists position;
In-game sides can look good against the sky because of color and lighting contrasts - you try to duplicate that gaianst the dark hues of the sea - and suddenly all that naval grey/blue paint becomes crystal clear as to why they painted them in those schemes...they freakin' disappear!
So the only alternative we are left with is to make the sea not too indifferent from the sky - or - follow the example of UV/WitP original and make them mere silver silhouettes on black.
By the way, this screen was made from an actual color photo of the sea - same colors.

In-game the contrast in the sea won't be too different, but that was necessary to keep the ships details from disappearing.

On last note - I can see a possible need to re-detail the Japanese as well to keep down the sky-blending light edges as well...
It's always something! But I think we are on the right track - and thanks.

Any other comments are most welcome - be they scathing dissent or not.

B
quote:

ORIGINAL: csatahajos
I hope we can have in game separae art for ships in the same class...

EDIT - if you look at post 25 above - you will see three different paint jobs for the same class - New Orleans 1942.
It could be done for all - But that would take a 'mod'....
By the way - the reality is that most classes were actually painted to one or two camo schemes mandated by the bureau...google http://www.shipcamouflage.com/index.htm It's amazing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: csatahajos

I'd say what we see here is pretty much the top of the line of Witp-AE graphics, the definiteve word. To add some constructive criticsm I'd prefer a bit more contrast on the background, but probably it's just the jpg-s quality reduction that makes it look this way.

I hope we can have in game separae art for ships in the same class, and also the boring US white star replaced with the USN badge.

This camo art really makes for a completely new feel of the game!

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/14/2011 12:15:19 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/14/2011 12:21:50 AM   
Shark7

BigB, if anything I'd consider darkening that background just a bit, may just be my poor eyesight, it seems to all blur together a bit (keep in mind I have some mild color deficiencies). May be the fact that the lightest blue looks almost grey to me. So either a darker shade or a slightly different hue might help with that. It looks good, but the colors blurring together are giving me problems.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ship Art Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI