Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/10/2011 1:18:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arigoth

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I have learned to play the game with the sound off. No need to wave a red cape in front of the bull.....

Im interested in how you get the sound off. I have examined my wife throughly and have found no off button.

Warspite1

Quality

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Arigoth)
Post #: 31
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/10/2011 2:55:19 PM   
Hanzberger

I have played the orginal game got to almost 43. Then got married, changed jobs (self employed) and never really had the time to put into AE. Recently, sold my biz, now unemployed and enjoying taking this game on again.
Having said all that, I am looking for a job (its been less then 2 weeks unemployed) so when my wife gets home and of course I am sitting here on the computer, I now get THE LOOK.
Sorry hunny, didn't see anything today. LOL

Love this thread~!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/10/2011 3:22:16 PM   
The Gnome

I'm sure the advantages of being married surely outweigh the drawbacks, but when I read this threads I always think "Thank God I never got married".

uote]ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: SargeantTex

I hear this on a daily basis from the wife everytime the morse code sounds on the startup menu sometimes the stupid is replaced with a expletive but I counter with the same thing everytime I hear that corny music on farmville!!

mute man, always the mute button...... school boy error

And thanks to whoever stole my "Your wife has a mute button?" joke

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 33
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/10/2011 3:59:02 PM   
SargeantTex

Yea Ive mastered the art of being able to piss off the old lady when she goes on a rant or is telling some extremely boring story like most women she can talk for hours about completely nothing I will hold the remote in my hand pushing the hellout of the mute button or here lately ive started doing the Archie Bunker pantomime about loading the gun and shooting himself!!!

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 34
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/12/2011 11:47:29 AM   
KMCCARTHY

My wife retired out of the USAF Reserve as Major in Intel. She is OK with it, the computer is in the living room and WITP:AE saves my brain from being eroded by home remodeling shows and "reality" TV.

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 35
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/12/2011 4:19:50 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

I now get THE LOOK.

If you are single you may comprehend this but to truly understand it you have to be married!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 36
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/12/2011 5:04:17 PM   
KenchiSulla

Married or living together hehehhe, fear the LOOK!

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 37
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/12/2011 6:47:08 PM   
vonTirpitz

My wife was fairly understanding until I loaded up a turn on the big screen during her show....

< Message edited by vonTirpitz -- 2/13/2011 12:32:58 PM >

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 38
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/12/2011 8:20:09 PM   
tocaff

My wife thinks that I'm wasting my time playing 2 PBEMs and the writing an AAR.  I've got actually got 3 PBEMs and an AAR going.  She doesn't try to stop me though and she sits next to me in our office at her computer or watches TV elsewhere.  It's not a hobby, it's a way of life.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to vonTirpitz)
Post #: 39
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/12/2011 9:02:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

My wife thinks that I'm wasting my time playing 2 PBEMs and the writing an AAR.  I've got actually got 3 PBEMs and an AAR going.  She doesn't try to stop me though and she sits next to me in our office at her computer or watches TV elsewhere.  It's not a hobby, it's a way of life.

Which, of course, is not wasting her time!

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 40
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/13/2011 6:27:49 PM   
bradfordkay

I can't believe the number of people who think that I am being childish wasting my time playing a wargame when they spend hours every night in front of the television. At least the game prevents my mind from being turned to mush! 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 41
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/13/2011 6:54:08 PM   
KenchiSulla

Bradfordkay, yeah, I always use the remark - and what did you do last night? (and you see the faces, o yeah - crap) hehehehe

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 42
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/13/2011 10:03:16 PM   
tocaff

The game fights the mind going to mush, though I still get those senior moments.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 43
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/14/2011 8:50:18 AM   
Trekkie

Nice topic With wife and small daughter, it´s really hard to play at home. Fortunately, I spend quite a lot of time in the train while commuting to the job so...Sometimes it´s funny to watch other people trying to realize what the hell I´m doing on that computer . Oh, and nights in hotels when I have some meeting or conference abroad are dedicated to gaming as well.

"One hawk chases down many crows" - 313th (Czechoslovak) RAF squadron motto

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 44
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/14/2011 12:25:02 PM   
EUBanana

My other half refers to WITP as "the bee game", because of the hex map looking like a honeycomb.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 45
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/14/2011 7:39:59 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekkie

Nice topic With wife and small daughter, it´s really hard to play at home. Fortunately, I spend quite a lot of time in the train while commuting to the job so...Sometimes it´s funny to watch other people trying to realize what the hell I´m doing on that computer . Oh, and nights in hotels when I have some meeting or conference abroad are dedicated to gaming as well.

I was playing WITP on my laptop while flying to Honolulu several years ago. A very nice lady form the midwest was sitting next to me and kept glancing over at my screen during the several hours I was working on turn one. Finally she turned to me and asked: "You have a very high IQ, don't you?"

How do you respond to such a question??? I fumbled through a self-effacing response of some sort...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Trekkie)
Post #: 46
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/14/2011 8:34:37 PM   
Kubel

Headphones and listening to Howard 100 on my iPhone...I get the best of 2 worlds AE/Howard Stern....Oh bought my wife an iPad she is addicted to Angry Birds
Never here a complaint litertally and figurativley

Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock

Post #: 47
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/14/2011 10:47:11 PM   
LeeChard

My wife is a WWII history buff who runs a website for combat engineers. She actually asks me how the war is going. She prefers it to my other hobby, Beer!! Eat your hearts out guys.

(in reply to Kubel)
Post #: 48
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 9:35:44 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

My wife is a WWII history buff who runs a website for combat engineers. She actually asks me how the war is going. She prefers it to my other hobby, Beer!! Eat your hearts out guys.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 49
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 11:29:45 AM   
warspite1

In our house, any computer activity by me - regardless of whether its WITPAE, WITE, CIV Total War (there seems to be no distinction made between games) - is known simply as "WAR" as in:

My children -
"dad? - yeah he's in his room doing war"

My better half -
"haven't you got better things to be doing around the house instead of that war rubbish?"

From the children it's quite sweet.... from the latter it's quite annoying - I mean of course I haven't got anything better to do

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 50
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 2:09:19 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Uh.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 51
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 2:29:38 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
I was playing WITP on my laptop while flying to Honolulu several years ago. A very nice lady form the midwest was sitting next to me and kept glancing over at my screen during the several hours I was working on turn one. Finally she turned to me and asked: "You have a very high IQ, don't you?"

How do you respond to such a question??? I fumbled through a self-effacing response of some sort...

If BradfordKay is a babe magnet, this probably illustrates the difference between us. We are both UGA grads. Years ago, while a junior, I was flying home to Miami for spring break, seated beside a very pretty coed from Purdue. We talked about the things we enjoy (my list ran to things like history, hiking, reading, etc.). After we finished, she declared, "You sound like you're 40 years old." Boys, I think I missed a chance there to make some points with a pretty coed. This probably explains my long record of futility in college, too.

Post #: 52
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 2:47:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

If BradfordKay is a babe magnet, this probably illustrates the difference between us. We are both UGA grads. Years ago, while a junior, I was flying home to Miami for spring break, seated beside a very pretty coed from Purdue. We talked about the things we enjoy (my list ran to things like history, hiking, reading, etc.). After we finished, she declared, "You sound like you're 40 years old." Boys, I think I missed a chance there to make some points with a pretty coed. This probably explains my long record of futility in college, too.

Consorting with Yankees, Canoerebel?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 53
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 2:57:22 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, I was young, I was male, I was unattached....a pretty girl is a pretty girl. Know what I mean?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 54
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 3:17:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Uh.....
Warspite1

Uh.....

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 55
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 3:26:06 PM   
Nikademus

my exGFU despised my wargaming hobby. I could only really play it when she wasn't around. She called it "that stupid game" on a bad day......on a good day it was "The stupid game about a war that ended 65 years ago"

I'm jelous(tm) of the hubbys and BFU's that have understanding or at least tolerant partners.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 56
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 4:21:35 PM   
Mark VII

My wife, "Wife unit Mk I" also known as Kim loves early English history and King Arthur lore. Lately we have been watching the "Tudors" on Showtime.

She went with me for Five days touring Normandy, two days going up the Market-Garden path, Australia with visits to several museums, and Guadalcanal. On the Canal, whe pretty much hid out at the hotel and the pool drinking beers as it was very hot and humid. She sent me out on my own with the guide to hike the battlefields. check http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=902875&mpage=1&key=󜛛 for discussion on my adventures on Guadalcanal.

Still, hard to beat for a wife. And I also get the "are you kicking RaverDave's ass yet?" question every once in a while.

quote:

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 57
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 4:35:07 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

Ummmm... I wouldn't use "babe magnet" to describe myself. That "very nice lady" was seated between her husband and me. I didn't mean to infer anything other than the fact that she seemed very non-judgmental.

Then again... there was the Korean girl I met in Waikiki who later told me that she wanted to stay in the US. I ran away...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 58
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 4:38:54 PM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

My wife, "Wife unit Mk I" also known as Kim loves early English history and King Arthur lore. Lately we have been watching the "Tudors" on Showtime.

She went with me for Five days touring Normandy, two days going up the Market-Garden path, Australia with visits to several museums, and Guadalcanal. On the Canal, whe pretty much hid out at the hotel and the pool drinking beers as it was very hot and humid. She sent me out on my own with the guide to hike the battlefields. check http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=902875&mpage=1&key=󜛛 for discussion on my adventures on Guadalcanal.

Still, hard to beat for a wife. And I also get the "are you kicking RaverDave's ass yet?" question every once in a while.

quote:

Our last Vacation was Gettysburg. Early spring, crisp clear day. Cold enough that at most sites we were completely alone. It was easy to let your imagination run free without dozen's of crumb crunchers running around.(not that I don't love my grand daughter)
I'll check out the link when I have more time.

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 59
RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? - 2/15/2011 4:40:11 PM   
Canoerebel

Was her nickname "Stalker Girl"? Do you and CapMandrake move in the same circles?

P.S. I assume that anyone name Brad who likes to sail must have long, wavy blonde hair that renders him a babe magnet whether he wanted to be one or not. Now, you may not have blonde hair, but that's the image I have of you. Kind of like hearing someone on the radio for years and mentally forming a picture that turns out to be wildly inaccurate.

So....what kind of subconscious mental images have we forumites formed of the following:

CapMandrake
Sulu Sea
Chickenboy
Alfred
Terminus

Just to name a few?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT-Are you playing that stupid wargame again? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI