Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions on Ship Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Questions on Ship Design Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions on Ship Design - 2/18/2011 5:02:25 AM   
Wreck

Here's a few questions I had regarding basic ship functionality.

The default design for a constructor ship starts with three "industrial" plants, and one of each other kind. Is this a mistake, or not? Does a constructor need a lot more industrial capacity than the other kinds? Is 3:1:1:1 the best ratio, or some other?

I build a lot of bases with no weapons. Given that they have no weapons, and power their operation via energy collectors, is there any use for a fuel cell on them? Similarly, is there any reason why you'd build in extra reactor power? I can't leave off the reactor altogether, but it seems like I should be able to if I have enough energy collected.

Is there any point in putting cargo holds on a base not oriented towards trade or mining? In particular, what does cargo do for a Resort Base? For a Defensive Base? Similarly, is there any point in putting fuel cells on a base that has enough energy collectors to power its operations?

Mines and Gas Mines are privately owned, and thus not upgradeable. And they block me from building any other mine on their planet. I find this irritating. I know I can build a normal starbase (perhaps "defensive") that has miners on it. Will such a base mine? Pirate starbases do seem to work as gas mines... Is there any reason to prefer a private mine over a state-owned starbase that does the same thing?
Post #: 1
RE: Questions on Ship Design - 2/18/2011 8:06:50 AM   
Bingeling

Star base answer:

A star base is an excellent gas mine if you need a defensive place. Like - you don't want to be cheezy and make the civilian bases into fortresses, you can make a star base gas miner that can fend off the odd pirate attack.

I have tested and verified that indeed transports go to a star base to gather gas (caslon), and also, after much coaxing to run my poor empire dry, that civilian freighters will go there on refuel missions.

Se post 22 in this: link

I would also think you could use a star base as a crazy fuel supplier at a fleet staging point. In addition to a gas mine... Make a custom star base with more gas extractors and cargo space. Maybe like a non-movable resupply ship with more gas extraction.

I hope someone gives good answers to the rest of your questions :-)

(in reply to Wreck)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions on Ship Design - 2/18/2011 10:19:28 AM   
Data

"The default design for a constructor ship starts with three "industrial" plants, and one of each other kind. Is this a mistake, or not? Does a constructor need a lot more industrial capacity than the other kinds? Is 3:1:1:1 the best ratio, or some other? "

This was tackled before in an older thread and the general consesus was that this is the best setup as industrial components are more often needed than others. I did some tests on this and actually the manufacturers work pretty fast as long as they are properly supplied with resources so I keep it as it is.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions on Ship Design - 2/18/2011 10:23:13 AM   
Data

"Is there any point in putting cargo holds on a base not oriented towards trade or mining? In particular, what does cargo do for a Resort Base? For a Defensive Base? Similarly, is there any point in putting fuel cells on a base that has enough energy collectors to power its operations?"

Indeed there is no need, I usually remove them...spaceports for example share the same cargo space as the planet so you can safely remove all cargo bays from them
Fuel cells though are actually mandatory so you have to keep at least one, even if it's actually useless

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions on Ship Design - 2/18/2011 11:39:34 AM   
Bingeling

Correcting myself. A star base can not be in addition to another base, and will trade away its fuel if someone wants it. But it can be made a very powerful gas mine with defenses.

Resupplyships have the benefit of not trading away their gas, so the fleet will have a special store.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Questions on Ship Design Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI